This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nita W.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello sdn users,
I'm seeking some advice about what my next move should be at this point.
I currently have a cum. gpa of 2.52. Due to personal issues I went from being an honor-roll student to the current grade I now have. The past two quarters I finally decided to take a break from school and re-evaluate my life. Thankfully I've been seeking the help I've needed and plan on returning to school hopefully for the next quarter. My grades may not reflect it however it is my dream to become a doctor and I'm willing to put all effort and time to achieve this goal. My current stats on my science classes are: ChemI(repeated 3 times, 3rd attempt 2.8), ChemII (2.2), chemIII(2.0), BioI (repeated 2 times, 2nd attempt 2.4), BioIII (2.7).
I still need to take bioII and do orgo chem series and physics. My question is would it look bad if I have two associate of science degrees? also would it be possible to raise my gpa to at least a 3.0 before pressuring bachelors degree at a university? Also when applying for med school would the associate degree be looked at as important or does the bachelors degree matter most?
Any other advice would be great as well, I'm looking to seek as much help as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry personal issues derailed your academics. In my estimation, it would be a herculean feat to overcome those grades. The problem is the multiple retakes, and even with those retakes, you did not do stellar. From an academic point of view, an admissions director would be unlikely to risk admitting you, due to a high risk of a repeat failure in some academic capacity (courses or boards).

If you really are some protege, and a life experience absolutely derailed you to the extent that continued excellence was not possible, perhaps a ridiculously high MCAT could assuage any fears an adcom might have, but even this is very unlikely.

Realistically, I would look into nursing, and don't look back.

I am sorry personal issues derailed your academics. In my estimation, it would be a herculean feat to overcome those grades. The problem is the multiple retakes, and even with those retakes, you did not do stellar. From an academic point of view, an admissions director would be unlikely to risk admitting you, due to a high risk of a repeat failure in some academic capacity (courses or boards).

If you really are some protege, and a life experience absolutely derailed you to the extent that continued excellence was not possible, perhaps a ridiculously high MCAT could assuage any fears an adcom might have, but even this is very unlikely.

Realistically, I would look into nursing, and don't look back.
Thank you for replying, I was considering nursing however I'm still choosing to continue the premed path. I'm hoping with an upward trend and completing a bachelors degree with high grades will help give me a chance, or at least to allow me to do a post back after completing bachelors.