Prospective DO Student with Unusual Circumstances (What are my chances!?!?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wahoo1125

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a third year student at the University of Virginia hoping to apply to a long list of DO schools next fall in my final undergrad year. I didn't do so hot my 1st year and had a gpa of 2.9. My 2nd year I had surgery on my brain and was out for the fall semester and returned in the spring with a new passion for medicine and a determination to make it into medical school. Last spring I took an upper level psych course, intro chem course, and intro bio course and made C's in all 3, but with other coursework my cumulative GPA is still around 2.79. I strongly believe I will do much better this semester as I finish my general chemistry and biology courses along with Anatomy and Physiology. I anticipate a cumulative GPA of 3.0-3.1 with no less than B's in my science courses this semester. Other than my grades I have over 700 hours of patient transport in a rural hospital and around 50 hours of shadowing in a cath lab, along with holding a leadership role in a fundraising organization for my neurological illness. I am also in the process of gaining my EMT certification and plan to volunteer with a rescue squad, while being a scribe in my local hospital next summer. I also have some research experience in UVA's biology department. I plan to finish all prerequisites minus physics (which I will take 4th year) and take my MCAT next fall. I am seeking info on what would be best, post bacc or applying to a wide variety of DO schools. I also am wondering if UVA's prestige counts for anything when applying to the small, rural DO schools. Any advice for my future, along with any school suggestions I should look into, would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You need to increase both your cGPA and sGPA to over 3.0 to have a chance for DO schools. You also need a MCAT of 505 or higher with your GPA though 500 could get you interviews at some of the newer schools. You would be better off to apply after you graduate since that would give you more time and courses to increase your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! I am a third year student at the University of Virginia hoping to apply to a long list of DO schools next fall in my final undergrad year. I didn't do so hot my 1st year and had a gpa of 2.9. My 2nd year I had surgery on my brain and was out for the fall semester and returned in the spring with a new passion for medicine and a determination to make it into medical school. Last spring I took an upper level psych course, intro chem course, and intro bio course and made C's in all 3, but with other coursework my cumulative GPA is still around 2.79. I strongly believe I will do much better this semester as I finish my general chemistry and biology courses along with Anatomy and Physiology. I anticipate a cumulative GPA of 3.0-3.1 with no less than B's in my science courses this semester. Other than my grades I have over 700 hours of patient transport in a rural hospital and around 50 hours of shadowing in a cath lab, along with holding a leadership role in a fundraising organization for my neurological illness. I am also in the process of gaining my EMT certification and plan to volunteer with a rescue squad, while being a scribe in my local hospital next summer. I also have some research experience in UVA's biology department. I plan to finish all prerequisites minus physics (which I will take 4th year) and take my MCAT next fall. I am seeking info on what would be best, post bacc or applying to a wide variety of DO schools. I also am wondering if UVA's prestige counts for anything when applying to the small, rural DO schools. Any advice for my future, along with any school suggestions I should look into, would be greatly appreciated!!!

I got WRECKED in kittleston's class (BIOL2100) Don't feel bad.

As far as the EMT goes, really think about it. I have my EMT-B and use it now but if I could do over again I wouldn't have put the time and energy into 1.) The course itself 2.) ALL the testing (Virginia Practicals, retaking Virginia Practicals (It can happen to you, I was a lucky one, I only had to retake 1 practical) and NREMT exam.) By the time it's all said and done it will be close to a year. IF you do, look into volunteering at Monticello or something, not CARS. CARS is great but they require a 2-year commitment, and you're already a 3rd year. When (if) I get to UVa full time, I will probably not continue EMS, but take advantage of research opportunities in place of.

Scribing is great. But apparently as a UVa ER scribe you'll have little interaction with attendings, so that's great you're going to your local hospital.

Watch out in physics. I hear they curve down.

I am crazy about UVa, but I just don't think it would have the same effect as say, Harvard. But you never know.

My advice would be to apply in the summer of 2019 (give yourself this year and next to prove yourself) with a good MCAT. Or get a great MCAT and do an SMP and apply to some MD schools as well, sending them updates on your performance in said SMP.

I've come across so many UVA premeds who were exceptionally smart and hardworking but UVA's rigor really ****ed them.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My 2nd year I had surgery on my brain and was out for the fall semester and returned in the spring with a new passion for medicine and a determination to make it into medical school.

You decided to become a doctor because you got brain surgery?

You're going to need to address why you're getting poor grades, especially in lower division classes, and fix any problems. Prestige means nothing when you have a 3.0
You have average EC's, try getting some non clinical volunteering, but focus on your grades and MCAT. Drop some of your EC activities if its hurting your GPA.
Ace everything from here out and get a 505+ MCAT and you'll have a shot at DO schools. Ace everything, 510+ MCAT and a PB/SMP and you might have a shot at MD.