This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctoranon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. I’m in a predicament. I’ll be a non-traditional student. Have just gone back to college and trying to decide on a major. I’m attending Arizona State ONLINE. Options:

A) Major in Psychology. Better chance at a higher GPA. Very interesting to me anyways - and most people say to undergrad in what you want. But it’ll add 2 years of prerequisites to my timeline. I’m currently 24 and just starting back in college. Take prerequisites at local university.

B) Major in Biology. Finish my prerequisites faster, but a LOT of them will be online, which a lot of med schools don’t accept. Finish 2 years faster. Apply only to schools that accept online prerequisites.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it really matters and you should get the notion of speed out of your head. Medical school is a marathon and the second you start introducing time constraints your application suffers. Do what you like better, medical schools aren't going anywhere.

I don't think it really matters and you should get the notion of speed out of your head. Medical school is a marathon and the second you start introducing time constraints your application suffers. Do what you like better, medical schools aren't going anywhere.

Thank you! I know it’s a marathon! Those two extra years offer a lot of time to participate in research as well. I should’ve mentioned though that I do have a major interest in biology. Just slightly more for psych.

Thank you! I know it’s a marathon! Those two extra years offer a lot of time to participate in research as well. I should’ve mentioned though that I do have a major interest in biology. Just slightly more for psych.

Seems like you have your answer. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user