This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

doctoranon

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, all. I’m in a predicament. I’ll be a non-traditional student. Have just gone back to college and trying to decide on a major. I’m attending Arizona State ONLINE. Options:

A) Major in Psychology. Better chance at a higher GPA. Very interesting to me anyways - and most people say to undergrad in what you want. But it’ll add 2 years of prerequisites to my timeline. I’m currently 24 and just starting back in college. Take prerequisites at local university.

B) Major in Biology. Finish my prerequisites faster, but a LOT of them will be online, which a lot of med schools don’t accept. Finish 2 years faster. Apply only to schools that accept online prerequisites.

Thanks!
 
I don't think it really matters and you should get the notion of speed out of your head. Medical school is a marathon and the second you start introducing time constraints your application suffers. Do what you like better, medical schools aren't going anywhere.
 
I don't think it really matters and you should get the notion of speed out of your head. Medical school is a marathon and the second you start introducing time constraints your application suffers. Do what you like better, medical schools aren't going anywhere.

Thank you! I know it’s a marathon! Those two extra years offer a lot of time to participate in research as well. I should’ve mentioned though that I do have a major interest in biology. Just slightly more for psych.
 
Thank you! I know it’s a marathon! Those two extra years offer a lot of time to participate in research as well. I should’ve mentioned though that I do have a major interest in biology. Just slightly more for psych.

Seems like you have your answer. Good luck.