Pulmonary/Critical Care 2012-2013 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Adding Indiana Univ and Cornell-NY Presbyterian to the list:

AGH
Albert Einstein (Philly)
Arizona
Baylor
Brigham
Boston U
Carilion Clinic
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Colorado
Columbia
Cornell (Queens)
Cornell (Presbyterian)
Duke
Eastern Tennessee
East Carolina University
Emory
Georgetown
Georgia Health Sciences University (formerly Med College of GA)
Henry Ford
Indiana University
Iowa University
LSU
Louisville
Maryland
Mayo (Rochester)
Minnesota
Miami
Montefiore (Bronx)
MUSC
North Carolina
NYU
OHSU
Ohio State
Penn State
Rochester
Texas Southwestern
Texas Tech
Tufts
Tulane
UAB
UC Davis
UCLA
UCLA Harbor
UC San Diego
UCSF
USC + LAC
UIC
Utah
UTMB Galveston
University of Chicago
University of Florida Jacksonville
University of Oklahoma
University of S. Alabama
University of Washington, Seattle
University of Wisconsin
Vandy
Vermont
Virginia
Wake Forrest
Winthrop
Yale

Members don't see this ad.

3 rejections today
U penn
Univ Wisconsin
Creigtion

Also received rejection from Creighton but did get an invite from UIC.

Members don't see this ad :)
i interviewed at Cleveland clinic the other day. I was surprised that all the candidates interviewing that day were foreign grads- as were all the fellows. It sounds like a top notch program to me- any idea why american grads dont wanna go there. Is it all because of the city?

Am curious as to whether people are still receiving interviews from programs that appeared to have sent out their interviews in late July/ early August ? It has been a dry run for me since then.

i interviewed at Cleveland clinic the other day. I was surprised that all the candidates interviewing that day were foreign grads- as were all the fellows. It sounds like a top notch program to me- any idea why american grads dont wanna go there. Is it all because of the city?
No idea why. I know there IM residency program has some difficulty recruiting, which I figured was due to its reputation as a "fellow- run program."

Did anyone heard from Medical College of Wisconsin?

Add Stony Brook to the list:

AGH
Albert Einstein (Philly)
Arizona
Baylor
Brigham
Boston U
Carilion Clinic
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Colorado
Columbia
Cornell (Queens)
Cornell (Presbyterian)
Duke
Eastern Tennessee
East Carolina University
Emory
Georgetown
Henry Ford
Indiana University
Iowa University
LSU
Louisville
Maryland
Mayo (Rochester)
Minnesota
Miami
Montefiore (Bronx)
MUSC
North Carolina
NYU
OHSU
Ohio State
Penn State
Rochester
Stony Brook
Texas Southwestern
Texas Tech
Tufts
Tulane
UAB
UC Davis
UCLA
UCLA Harbor
UC San Diego
UCSF
USC + LAC
UIC
Utah
UTMB Galveston
University of Chicago
University of Oklahoma
University of S. Alabama
University of Wisconsin
Vandy
Vermont
Virginia
Wake Forrest
Winthrop
Yale

Adding brown and loyola. Also I talked to UNC and New Mexico and they are just going through applications now with plans to sens out invites next week. USC is sending out a batch of invites early next week. East Carolina may or may not be done inviting people depending on if their program director wants to look at any more applications UIC is done sending out interviews.

AGH
Albert Einstein (Philly)
Arizona
Baylor
Brigham
Brown
Boston U
Carilion Clinic
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Colorado
Columbia
Cornell (Queens)
Cornell (Presbyterian)
Duke
Eastern Tennessee
East Carolina University
Emory
Georgetown
Henry Ford
Indiana University
Iowa University
LSU
Louisville
Loyola
Maryland
Mayo (Rochester)
Minnesota
Miami
Montefiore (Bronx)
MUSC
North Carolina
NYU
OHSU
Ohio State
Penn State
Rochester
Stony Brook
Texas Southwestern
Texas Tech
Tufts
Tulane
UAB
UC Davis
UCLA
UCLA Harbor
UC San Diego
UCSF
USC + LAC
UIC
Utah
UTMB Galveston
University of Chicago
University of Oklahoma
University of S. Alabama
University of Wisconsin
Vandy
Vermont
Virginia
Wake Forrest
Winthrop
Yale

Adding Dartmouth

AGH
Albert Einstein (Philly)
Arizona
Baylor
Brigham
Brown
Boston U
Carilion Clinic
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Colorado
Columbia
Cornell (Queens)
Cornell (Presbyterian)
Dartmouth
Duke
Eastern Tennessee
East Carolina University
Emory
Georgetown
Henry Ford
Indiana University
Iowa University
LSU
Louisville
Loyola
Maryland
Mayo (Rochester)
Minnesota
Miami
Montefiore (Bronx)
MUSC
North Carolina
NYU
OHSU
Ohio State
Penn State
Rochester
Stony Brook
Texas Southwestern
Texas Tech
Tufts
Tulane
UAB
UC Davis
UCLA
UCLA Harbor
UC San Diego
UCSF
USC + LAC
UIC
Utah
UTMB Galveston
University of Chicago
University of Oklahoma
University of S. Alabama
University of Wisconsin
Vandy
Vermont
Virginia
Wake Forrest
Winthrop
Yale

Adding University of Nebraska. How is this place anyways??? Any idea? It costs too mcuh to even go there..debating whether I should go or not.. Anyone know how this program is???

AGH
Albert Einstein (Philly)
Arizona
Baylor
Brigham
Brown
Boston U
Carilion Clinic
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Colorado
Columbia
Cornell (Queens)
Cornell (Presbyterian)
Dartmouth
Duke
Eastern Tennessee
East Carolina University
Emory
Georgetown
Henry Ford
Indiana University
Iowa University
LSU
Louisville
Loyola
Maryland
Mayo (Rochester)
Minnesota
Miami
Montefiore (Bronx)
MUSC
North Carolina
NYU
OHSU
Ohio State
Penn State
Rochester
Stony Brook
Texas Southwestern
Texas Tech
Tufts
Tulane
UAB
UC Davis
UCLA
UCLA Harbor
UC San Diego
UCSF
USC + LAC
UIC
Utah
UTMB Galveston
University of Chicago
University of Nebraska Medical Center
University of Oklahoma
University of S. Alabama
University of Wisconsin
Vandy
Vermont
Virginia
Wake Forrest
Winthrop
Yale

Am curious as to whether people are still receiving interviews from programs that appeared to have sent out their interviews in late July/ early August ? It has been a dry run for me since then.

No idea why. I know there IM residency program has some difficulty recruiting, which I figured was due to its reputation as a "fellow- run program."

I know Cleveland has not finished reviewing the application. So if no rejection, maybe they havent reviewed it yet!

Members don't see this ad :)
Adding University of Nebraska. How is this place anyways??? Any idea? It costs too mcuh to even go there..debating whether I should go or not.. Anyone know how this program is???

It's a nice program. PD seems like a real stand-up guy. It's basically two clinical years and one research year. Research year is in the middle (second year). If you're actually super serious about research, you can get more time in the 3rd year and they can even figure out a way for your to do a 4th research year as a transition to faculty and funding, at least that's what I was told a few years ago. First year is mostly VA/Uni pulm + VA ICU and the third year is mostly University ICU + pulm if I recall correctly. Little known national fact, but a few of the gods of liver live at Nebraska and you'll see plenty of liver patients in the MICU. They do not have lung transplant. They do have adult CF. They also have occupational lung stuff. Facilities were nice. Fellows seemed happy. Call was from home.

I think it's worth checking out in general, but if you wouldn't ever think about moving to Omaha, then maybe don't waste their time.

They were #4 on a list of 12 programs, so I liked them but just not enough to pop them into my top 3 (I wanted more protected research time honestly, not too many programs can give or promise that)

It's a nice program. PD seems like a real stand-up guy. It's basically two clinical years and one research year. Research year is in the middle (second year). If you're actually super serious about research, you can get more time in the 3rd year and they can even figure out a way for your to do a 4th research year as a transition to faculty and funding, at least that's what I was told a few years ago. First year is mostly VA/Uni pulm + VA ICU and the third year is mostly University ICU + pulm if I recall correctly. Little known national fact, but a few of the gods of liver live at Nebraska and you'll see plenty of liver patients in the MICU. They do not have lung transplant. They do have adult CF. They also have occupational lung stuff. Facilities were nice. Fellows seemed happy. Call was from home.

I think it's worth checking out in general, but if you wouldn't ever think about moving to Omaha, then maybe don't waste their time.

They were #4 on a list of 12 programs, so I liked them but just not enough to pop them into my top 3 (I wanted more protected research time honestly, not too many programs can give or promise that)

how much difference it makes just choosing pulmonary only fellowship?

Hey guys, I got an interview at University of Missouri, Columbia. Added to the list below. Can anyone tell me any information about this program?

AGH
Albert Einstein (Philly)
Arizona
Baylor
Brigham
Brown
Boston U
Carilion Clinic
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Colorado
Columbia
Cornell (Queens)
Cornell (Presbyterian)
Dartmouth
Duke
Eastern Tennessee
East Carolina University
Emory
Georgetown
Henry Ford
Indiana University
Iowa University
LSU
Louisville
Loyola
Maryland
Mayo (Rochester)
Minnesota
Miami
Montefiore (Bronx)
MUSC
North Carolina
NYU
OHSU
Ohio State
Penn State
Rochester
Stony Brook
Texas Southwestern
Texas Tech
Tufts
Tulane
UAB
UC Davis
UCLA
UCLA Harbor
UC San Diego
UCSF
USC + LAC
UIC
Utah
UTMB Galveston
University of Chicago
University of Missouri, Columbia
University of Oklahoma
University of S. Alabama
University of Wisconsin
Vandy
Vermont
Virginia
Wake Forrest
Winthrop
Yale

Please post your interview call numbers so everyone knows where they land.
I have 6 interviews so far

Got an interview from UAB birmingham. Has anyone been there for interview yet? Anybody have idea what the program is like? I heard it's good but don't know the details.

I applied 30
Invite 6

Last edited:
I applied to 54 programs
13 Interviews so far but cannot attend all

Anyone knows when most of the programs will send their responses?? Either invitation or rejection....:confused:

Got an interview from UAB birmingham. Has anyone been there for interview yet? Anybody have idea what the program is like? I heard it's good but don't know the details.

When I was interviewing they were bringing in a new division chief, so things could have been shaken up a bit - they were looking to become more research orientated with the fellows, or at least with one or two a year into a "research" kind of track, but I don't know if that happened (they were also talking about getting a training grant, but money from the government is drying up these days). They have a big ICU at the university, 42 beds in the MICU, and rounded with a few teams. They have CF and transplant - they do like 40ish transplants a year, which will be enough to keep anyone on the service very busy. I forget the call set-up, but I think they were moving the fellows ICU call to in-house, everything else was home-call. The VA is a VA. I can't talk about the fellows because I didn't get to meet any . . . you can do your own math if you think that is a bad thing (it bothered me). It's an impressive place to be sure with a lot of impressive people and a rich tradition of southern style IM. Birmingham is . . . meh. Some days they were number one on my list when I was making rankings, but the city coupled with not meeting any fellows left a bad taste in my mouth, and ultimately (perhaps wrongly), I ranked them in the middle of my list.

AGH
Albert Einstein (Philly)
Arizona
Baylor
Brigham
Brown
Boston U
Carilion Clinic
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Colorado
Columbia
Cornell (Queens)
Cornell (Presbyterian)
Dartmouth
Duke
Eastern Tennessee
East Carolina University
Emory
Georgetown
Henry Ford
Indiana University
Iowa University
LSU
Louisville
Loyola
Maryland
Mayo (Rochester)
Minnesota
Miami
Montefiore (Bronx)
MUSC
North Carolina
NYU
OHSU
Ohio State
Penn State
Rochester
Stony Brook
Texas Southwestern
Texas Tech
Tufts
Tulane
UAB
UC Davis
UCLA
UCLA Harbor
UC San Diego
UCSF
USC + LAC
UIC
Utah
UTMB Galveston
University of Chicago
University of Florida Gainesville
University of Oklahoma
University of S. Alabama
University of Wisconsin
Vandy
Vermont
Virginia
Wake Forrest
Winthrop
Yale

Interviewed there last year, now a fellow at a different program.

I really liked it, it was on a short list of programs I interviewed at and ranked. They do now have a T-32 with space for 1-2 fellows and good mentors (mainly COPD, critical care, but other things as well). Hospital and clinics are nice. Great clinical experience in critical care and above average pulmonary (a bit lacking in IP with super-D, EBUS, and interventional stuff being a bit of a concern when I was there). Their new division head is extremely successful and is well funded and is taking the division in a great direction. B-ham is an average southern city, not horrible but not fantastic either, was a negative overall compared to the other cities I interviewed in.

They are a program that is going places, both funding wise and research wise. Ultimately their lack of IP and mentors in the fields I was interested in lead me to another program, but would have been more than happy to train at. It is going places and a great place, especially if you are interested in staying regionally in the SE.

When I was interviewing they were bringing in a new division chief, so things could have been shaken up a bit - they were looking to become more research orientated with the fellows, or at least with one or two a year into a "research" kind of track, but I don't know if that happened (they were also talking about getting a training grant, but money from the government is drying up these days). They have a big ICU at the university, 42 beds in the MICU, and rounded with a few teams. They have CF and transplant - they do like 40ish transplants a year, which will be enough to keep anyone on the service very busy. I forget the call set-up, but I think they were moving the fellows ICU call to in-house, everything else was home-call. The VA is a VA. I can't talk about the fellows because I didn't get to meet any . . . you can do your own math if you think that is a bad thing (it bothered me). It's an impressive place to be sure with a lot of impressive people and a rich tradition of southern style IM. Birmingham is . . . meh. Some days they were number one on my list when I was making rankings, but the city coupled with not meeting any fellows left a bad taste in my mouth, and ultimately (perhaps wrongly), I ranked them in the middle of my list.

Thank you for the detailed information! Greatly helps. Will be there next month and looking forward to it

I really liked it, it was on a short list of programs I interviewed at and ranked. They do now have a T-32 with space for 1-2 fellows and good mentors (mainly COPD, critical care, but other things as well). Hospital and clinics are nice. Great clinical experience in critical care and above average pulmonary (a bit lacking in IP with super-D, EBUS, and interventional stuff being a bit of a concern when I was there). Their new division head is extremely successful and is well funded and is taking the division in a great direction. B-ham is an average southern city, not horrible but not fantastic either, was a negative overall compared to the other cities I interviewed in.

They are a program that is going places, both funding wise and research wise. Ultimately their lack of IP and mentors in the fields I was interested in lead me to another program, but would have been more than happy to train at. It is going places and a great place, especially if you are interested in staying regionally in the SE.

Thanks for a great reply. Really appreciate it. Helps!!! Thx!

Got interview from Jeff. Will add TJUH

AGH
Albert Einstein (Philly)
Arizona
Baylor
Brigham
Brown
Boston U
Carilion Clinic
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Colorado
Columbia
Cornell (Queens)
Cornell (Presbyterian)
Dartmouth
Duke
Eastern Tennessee
East Carolina University
Emory
Georgetown
Henry Ford
Indiana University
Iowa University
LSU
Louisville
Loyola
Maryland
Mayo (Rochester)
Minnesota
Miami
Montefiore (Bronx)
MUSC
North Carolina
NYU
OHSU
Ohio State
Penn State
Rochester
Stony Brook
Texas Southwestern
Texas Tech
TJUH (Jefferson)
Tufts
Tulane
UAB
UC Davis
UCLA
UCLA Harbor
UC San Diego
UCSF
USC + LAC
UIC
Utah
UTMB Galveston
University of Chicago
University of Florida Gainesville
University of Oklahoma
University of S. Alabama
University of Wisconsin
Vandy
Vermont
Virginia
Wake Forrest
Winthrop
Yale

You cant do critical care.

I'm not sure what you exact question is. Can you be more specific?

how big a difference is it, doing a pulmonary only fellowship vs a pccm?

also can you please give me a response on what are the various things pertaining to critical care or pulmonary medicine that i need to look for when i go for an interview. i know its personal choice of research or clinicals but does it impact your career on how u make a selection based on what they have? thanks.

Also (especially from fellows who have already matched) - was curious if the interview process in general is more like IM (where you are getting familiar with the program and they are getting familiar with you, its reasonably low key, with some discussion about what you want to do with your life and research), or is it a lot more serious/grilling i.e. talking about how your previous research was conducted (methods), what precise areas you want to work in during fellowship, etc...

Wanted to gauge how the temperament of Pulm-CCM interviews usually is.

Thank you everyone for contributing to this thread.

I applied to 23 programs and have gotten 18 interviews so far. I applied broadly since I am couples matching with someone seeking GI.

Also (especially from fellows who have already matched) - was curious if the interview process in general is more like IM (where you are getting familiar with the program and they are getting familiar with you, its reasonably low key, with some discussion about what you want to do with your life and research), or is it a lot more serious/grilling i.e. talking about how your previous research was conducted (methods), what precise areas you want to work in during fellowship, etc...

Wanted to gauge how the temperament of Pulm-CCM interviews usually is.

Thank you everyone for contributing to this thread.

how big a difference is it, doing a pulmonary only fellowship vs a pccm?

also can you please give me a response on what are the various things pertaining to critical care or pulmonary medicine that i need to look for when i go for an interview. i know its personal choice of research or clinicals but does it impact your career on how u make a selection based on what they have? thanks.

In general, the interview process was fairly laid back. I only interviewed at academic institutions, so can't speak to more clinical oriented ones. The day, generally, focused on meeting with people, talking with fellows, nuts-and-bolts, then moved on to getting a sense of how you would fit into their program from a research perspective. You interview with potential mentors, usually identified by prior publications, abstracts, or personal statement. They sometimes ask you about prior research, but mainly how that impacted your goals and if you'd like to continue that work or would consider branching out, very little details other than, "what did you learn from that" type of stuff. Its a completely different ballgame. Others have said this before, but fellowship is more about fit than prestige. As long as the basics of your clinical training are there (adequate ICU experience, good diversity of pulmonary dz and possibly transplant, some newer bronchoscopic stuff you will need in practice like EBUS) then it comes down to "Are my future career goals in line with what this program provides me?" not "Is program X better than program Y".

As for what to look for, did you meet fellows? Are they happy? If you want to go into private practice, are fellows getting adequate numbers of important procedures (EBUS, super-D, intubations)? In academics, how many fellows get their K award funded and in how many tries? Is there a T-32 training grant? How is the transition from fellow to junior faculty (smooth vs. have to fund your own way with grants)? Is there training in advanced research methods should you want them (MPH, etc)? Thats just a few questions. Other nuts and bolts is asking home vs. in-house call, how much is covered when on call (at our program we do transplant and CF clinic call + MICU + consults on the weekend and it gets busy), and non-MICU critical care time (which is mandatory these days).

As for pulmonary only, it is pretty well outlined in prior posts from just a few days ago. I, personally, feel pulmonary only fellowship is a waste of time. The job market these days dictates that you have critical care experience and board certification, both private practice and academic. Plus, the pulmonary-only fellowships are typically at lower volume centers that will not provide you with the type of breadth of experience I would want. Thats only my opinion though, however I enjoy pulmonary >> critical care but continue to acknowledge that CC is very important for my future marketability.

Hope that helped!

I have interview coming soon.Would you guys mind sharing your interview experience with this program.Hows is the program?
Thanks .

Originally Posted by pulm

Heard UAB is working on developing their IP program this year

Last edited:
I'm going to offer a slightly contrary opinion about IP. IP is not something you can leave training and set up a practice like that easily. You really had to have a huge cancer center association and/or having a huge pulmonary referral base. Even then, you're not going to be doing a Ton of stents, or thermoplasty, or laser, or cryo, or phototherapy, or navs anyways. The things you should make sure you have a lot of exposure to is ebus, transbronchs, wang, etc. You could potentially do trachs, pleur-x caths, but some programs do that anyways. Well I guess you can do pleural bx or pleurodesis. I've done pleurodesis but have never even seen a pleural bx.

the only thing id like to add if I could would be radial ebus to my training. In my area, we're already seeing over utilization of thermoplasty and super-D. Hell, we're over using super-d.

I think IP is very highly overrated on the part of many applicants going in. I don't think that EBUS, which really isn't IP, or any of the other IP procedures are things that need to be learned by every single fellow to the point of being able to do them when done going through a pulm/crit program. It's nice if you can get some exposure so you can decide if you want more training but by and large I plan to be doing NONE of it (anything I can do with a regular scope I plan on doing if needed). I think these are largely referral procedures to the closest center of excellence or to the guy in your group that does these. Unless you're doing a lot of them, you'll be spinning your wheels doing one here or there - time better spent seeing consults rather than fighting for OR/procedure room time, fighting to get pathology there, (in some places fighting to get gas there - hope everyone is learning how to do their own conscious sedation), spending what is sometimes HOURS getting a decent sample. I hate these procedures and the politics that surround them. For these to be profitable to you personally and safest/best for the patients as well, you'll need to be doing a few a week, and probably need a full procedure day or two.

In general, the interview process was fairly laid back. I only interviewed at academic institutions, so can't speak to more clinical oriented ones. The day, generally, focused on meeting with people, talking with fellows, nuts-and-bolts, then moved on to getting a sense of how you would fit into their program from a research perspective. You interview with potential mentors, usually identified by prior publications, abstracts, or personal statement. They sometimes ask you about prior research, but mainly how that impacted your goals and if you'd like to continue that work or would consider branching out, very little details other than, "what did you learn from that" type of stuff. Its a completely different ballgame. Others have said this before, but fellowship is more about fit than prestige. As long as the basics of your clinical training are there (adequate ICU experience, good diversity of pulmonary dz and possibly transplant, some newer bronchoscopic stuff you will need in practice like EBUS) then it comes down to "Are my future career goals in line with what this program provides me?" not "Is program X better than program Y".

As for what to look for, did you meet fellows? Are they happy? If you want to go into private practice, are fellows getting adequate numbers of important procedures (EBUS, super-D, intubations)? In academics, how many fellows get their K award funded and in how many tries? Is there a T-32 training grant? How is the transition from fellow to junior faculty (smooth vs. have to fund your own way with grants)? Is there training in advanced research methods should you want them (MPH, etc)? Thats just a few questions. Other nuts and bolts is asking home vs. in-house call, how much is covered when on call (at our program we do transplant and CF clinic call + MICU + consults on the weekend and it gets busy), and non-MICU critical care time (which is mandatory these days).

As for pulmonary only, it is pretty well outlined in prior posts from just a few days ago. I, personally, feel pulmonary only fellowship is a waste of time. The job market these days dictates that you have critical care experience and board certification, both private practice and academic. Plus, the pulmonary-only fellowships are typically at lower volume centers that will not provide you with the type of breadth of experience I would want. Thats only my opinion though, however I enjoy pulmonary >> critical care but continue to acknowledge that CC is very important for my future marketability.

Hope that helped!

Thank you for the detailed response.

One more quick question....I got an interview from Mayo, Florida and would like to know if the training will be adequate and if i will have enough opportunities in interventional pul....

Thanks to all for the replies and posts...

I have interview coming soon.Would you guys mind sharing your interview experience with this program.Hows is the program?
Thanks .

Ha. There's been a recent run of questions about places I did interview.

Texas A&M is also a great program, though very much more clinically orientated than some others, which is not a bad thing if you're not planning on a research career, right? Awesome critical care - HUGE (and new as of a few years ago) MICU, tons of bedside procedures, don't worry about the critical care, you'll get plenty. Scott & White had a large referral area that overlaps some with San Antonio and Houston, but still big enough to get a lot of bread and butter plus cancer sent there, but also some of the weirder and rarer stuff, but that may enough up going elsewhere depending on who the referral doc is . . . with that said a lot of the people that train there who do stay in the general area will refer back to S&W. They have a VA which is a VA. One of the strong points that stood out in my mind was their pulmonary hypertension - they have a guy there (or at least they did) that learned pulmonary htn form the guys at UCSD and they'll right heart caths in the office in a special suite designed for it (sweet huh?). When I was interviewing they were also bringing in an IP guy from San Antonio and were planning to start doing a lot more of that as well. I think MICU call is in-house, but they pay you to "moonlight" (or at least they did) for this call - it's unclear to me if the set-up is still the same now. The big drawback is Temple, TX itself. I don't think I've ever seen a university medical center of the caliber of this place in such a small town - makes Rochester look HUGE. I grew up in a small town, so no big deal for me, but it could be a problem for you and they understand this as well. I think they miss out on a lot of talent because of the location. They are, however, about 45-60 minutes away from Austin, TX which is an AWESOME city. So it's a pain in the ass to drive down there but it could be worse. I liked my interview day and the people there.

Texas A&M is also a great program, though very much more clinically orientated than some others, which is not a bad thing if you're not planning on a research career, right? Awesome critical care - HUGE (and new as of a few years ago) MICU, tons of bedside procedures, don't worry about the critical care, you'll get plenty. Scott & White had a large referral area that overlaps some with San Antonio and Houston, but still big enough to get a lot of bread and butter plus cancer sent there, but also some of the weirder and rarer stuff, but that may enough up going elsewhere depending on who the referral doc is . . . with that said a lot of the people that train there who do stay in the general area will refer back to S&W. They have a VA which is a VA. One of the strong points that stood out in my mind was their pulmonary hypertension - they have a guy there (or at least they did) that learned pulmonary htn form the guys at UCSD and they'll right heart caths in the office in a special suite designed for it (sweet huh?). When I was interviewing they were also bringing in an IP guy from San Antonio and were planning to start doing a lot more of that as well. I think MICU call is in-house, but they pay you to "moonlight" (or at least they did) for this call - it's unclear to me if the set-up is still the same now. The big drawback is Temple, TX itself. I don't think I've ever seen a university medical center of the caliber of this place in such a small town - makes Rochester look HUGE. I grew up in a small town, so no big deal for me, but it could be a problem for you and they understand this as well. I think they miss out on a lot of talent because of the location. They are, however, about 45-60 minutes away from Austin, TX which is an AWESOME city. So it's a pain in the ass to drive down there but it could be worse. I liked my interview day and the people there.

Can you give some info on Creighton university?

Can you give some info on Creighton university?

Honestly, I've heard there has been a bit of a shake-up there - the GME was sold and things may be changing. Though it's unclear how much of this will affect house staff or fellows. It's been a mainly clinically orientated program. You cover the university ICU which has around 26 beds and you share that with surgery, though you are not responsible for surgery patients unless they ask for a consult - the MICU is technically "open", however medicine and family practice were required to request an Intensivist consult if they were in there. Call is technically from home, but you were expected to go in for new admits overnight. You split the VA ICU and work there every-other month. Pulm is mostly bread and butter, though the division chief is a pulmonary htn guy so you may get to see some of that as well. There is no transplant (no transplant anything at creighton - no lungs, kidneys, livers, or hearts). You spend one month doing TB and CF with the university of nebraska guys. Pulmonary service covers the critical care for cardiology in the CCU. They were working on trying to get more IP into their program, but I think one of their staff left who was doing it. It's a solid place for people planning on going into the community. Most people who train there do not go into academics.

Honestly, I've heard there has been a bit of a shake-up there - the GME was sold and things may be changing. Though it's unclear how much of this will affect house staff or fellows. It's been a mainly clinically orientated program. You cover the university ICU which has around 26 beds and you share that with surgery, though you are not responsible for surgery patients unless they ask for a consult - the MICU is technically "open", however medicine and family practice were required to request an Intensivist consult if they were in there. Call is technically from home, but you were expected to go in for new admits overnight. You split the VA ICU and work there every-other month. Pulm is mostly bread and butter, though the division chief is a pulmonary htn guy so you may get to see some of that as well. There is no transplant (no transplant anything at creighton - no lungs, kidneys, livers, or hearts). You spend one month doing TB and CF with the university of nebraska guys. Pulmonary service covers the critical care for cardiology in the CCU. They were working on trying to get more IP into their program, but I think one of their staff left who was doing it. It's a solid place for people planning on going into the community. Most people who train there do not go into academics.

Thank you for the info...

Thanks jdh.you have been contributing valuable stuffs to this forum.really appreciated.

So I have questions about a few places with which I am not familiar with and neither are anyone of my attendings.

Specifically the following programs:

UC Davis
Brown
Wake forest
Loyola
Nyu

Also people i know seem to have some second hand knowledge of, but no first hand in regards to
Utah
UNC
OHSU (Portland)

A previous post seemed to suggest nyu is unbearably brutal. But was wondering if there were other opinions?

I am excited about the other programs mainly based on location or intrigue.

To describe what I am looking for: I do not want bench research, would prefer clinical research specifically outcome and cost effective based with a public health/mass implementation bent. At the same time I do love all things cutting edge, so despite that int plum may go against cost effective strategies I do think it sounds fun to learn about, however I also understand there are post grad training opportunities to learn that so learning the fundamental science/physiology of the field is of the utmost importance. I am further interested in a procedure laden critical care training with opportunities for fellows to place lines (though have a ton of then from reidency), chest tubes, intubation, and any other critical care procedures.

I am going to assume most every place has the fundamentals of resucitation, cooling, sepsis, vent management, tox, , blah blah blah all down pat. So the differentiation for me would be: type of research expected, brutality of call and frequency of in house call (I am not opposed to call and feel flailing just to keep your own not to mention your patients' heads above water is the greatest way to learn), and opportunities for procedures are at the top of my list for the program itself. Ranking equally will be working with attendings and fellows who tend to offer positive reinforcement and constructive criticism. I tend to shut down in a "beat you down until you prove yourself" environment. Lastly Location will play a role for me, with preference but that's an entirely individual thing. Thank you everyone for any and all help!

Has anyone heard anything from MCW (Med Coll of Wisc), rejections, invites??? also from RUSH or Northwestern?

Did anyone get an invitation from University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine/Jackson Memorial Hospital?

This was the first interview I got and am still waiting for the coordinator to send the available dates for interview.

Anybody else having a similar issue or have they changed their mind about my application?