Question about reusing hardship for secondary essay (UTSW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigermuffinbanana

Reaction score
Hey guys,

One of the questions for UTSW's MSTP secondary is: If you wish, please describe major hardships or adversity you have overcome to reach this point in your life (if none, please state “none”).

I was wondering if I could reuse my hardship essay topic from my TMDSAS primary application's "unique experience" essay. Since UTSW only asks this question for the MSTP secondary (which I applied through AMCAS for), it is okay to reuse that essay topic or would UTSW also receive my unique experience essay from TMDSAS (since I checked the box for UTSW on my TMDSAS primary) and dislike the similarity? Or, should I just leave this secondary blank (I don't have any other real "hardship")?

Members don't see this ad.

Since they are two separate applications, I don't think it would make much of a difference. However, it would be probably better (and safer) to re-write the prompt. You can still write about the same experience, but just re-word it. Also, make sure you properly address the prompt.

@Lucca can probably provide better insight

Since they are two separate applications, I don't think it would make much of a difference. However, it would be probably better (and safer) to re-write the prompt. You can still write about the same experience, but just re-word it. Also, make sure you properly address the prompt.

@Lucca can probably provide better insight

if you have nothing else to add, I’d leave the question blank. If you’d like to take a different angle on the same experience but focusing on the hardship aspect of the experience and how that hardship affected you then write a new, separate essay about it. Don’t copy paste.

Reactions: 1 users
Funny title :cat:

But I agree with the posters above