RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Totally just got a PM from someone asking if I could read her PS. Me: :D Until I saw that she was Pre-Med. PM'd her back, and she confirmed. And now I'm :(

Just going to throw this out there:

Got anal gland sprayed in my mouth once.

That's absolutely disgusting.

One of the vets I work with once got anal gland on a client. I heard about this because the client was in an appointment where I was restraining and was joking, "this time, let's face the dog the other way."

Members don't see this ad :)
That's absolutely disgusting.

One of the vets I work with once got anal gland on a client. I heard about this because the client was in an appointment where I was restraining and was joking, "this time, let's face the dog the other way."
I was expressing AG on a patient once and the owner told me to be careful because "He's a squirter". I was thinking, yeah ok buddy I've seen some squirters.... I was cleaning AG juice from the wall very near the ceiling after that......

I'm so tired, it's making me feel sick. And my shoulders hurt so much, it's hard to lie down without pain. I was wondering whether I should go to shadowing in the morning or sleep. I think I'll take the sleep this time..

Half an hour more and then I can go to sleep. This laundry needs to hurry up..

I'm glad you found your ring pet pony! I hope you feel better soon.

I'm glad you found your ring pet pony! I hope you feel better soon.

Thank you! There was definitely some panicking going on until I realized where I must have left it. I'm glad it was a place where I could get in at night.

So far I'm having a much better start in the day than yesterday. My shoulders still hurt from the sunburn, but I didn't wake up every hour. haha And in two hours I'm getting a Collie puppy for a few hours.

:love:

I thought I posted this last night but I guess it didn't go through. My parents' cat is sick and has been at the emergency clinic since Saturday afternoon. He's on IV fluids, has a nasogastric feeding tube, has had radiographs and ultrasound, and has had a series of blood panels run with no real diagnosis as of yet. This cat is my dad's favorite child. He's trying to stay strong for my mom, my mom is having a hard time dealing with everything (especially since they won't really let her see him because he's..."spirited"). Meanwhile, I'm getting calls every couple of hours with questions about the pros and cons of certain treatments, what these tests are actually testing for, what I think the best decision would be at this point, etc. As much as I appreciate that they think highly enough of my knowledge to ask me, it's hard because I'm trying to give them just the information without a bias. Yesterday there were a few times where I had to say "if you do X and he doesn't get better within Y period of time, you probably need to reconsider your options." That was my nice way of saying that if he doesn't get better, they need to think about euthanizing him. I don't want to tell them that, it's much harder to say it to the people you love than to anyone else. I'm hoping that he's feeling better today (sounds like he might be perking up a bit) and that he continues to recover. One thing that I cannot handle is my dad breaking down. My dad has always been strong and logical. I've never seen or heard him cry, but he apparently came close yesterday when talking to my grandma. I will lose it. Please keep the cute kitty in my avatar in your thoughts, he needs to get better.

I really hope vet school isn't like high school. Things can get really catty on this forum for no reason at all. I think we all need to take a big dose of Man the Eff Up, don't snarl and bare your teeth every time someone says something that pisses you off, and a little bit of Bisbee.

:( I hope your parents' kitty continues to get better, Bearby -- sending good vibes his way.

I hope the Kitty gets better! :luck:

Why did Bisbee leave the forum? I thought she was still gonna stay and talk to us? :(

I thought I posted this last night but I guess it didn't go through. My parents' cat is sick and has been at the emergency clinic since Saturday afternoon. He's on IV fluids, has a nasogastric feeding tube, has had radiographs and ultrasound, and has had a series of blood panels run with no real diagnosis as of yet. This cat is my dad's favorite child. He's trying to stay strong for my mom, my mom is having a hard time dealing with everything (especially since they won't really let her see him because he's..."spirited"). Meanwhile, I'm getting calls every couple of hours with questions about the pros and cons of certain treatments, what these tests are actually testing for, what I think the best decision would be at this point, etc. As much as I appreciate that they think highly enough of my knowledge to ask me, it's hard because I'm trying to give them just the information without a bias. Yesterday there were a few times where I had to say "if you do X and he doesn't get better within Y period of time, you probably need to reconsider your options." That was my nice way of saying that if he doesn't get better, they need to think about euthanizing him. I don't want to tell them that, it's much harder to say it to the people you love than to anyone else. I'm hoping that he's feeling better today (sounds like he might be perking up a bit) and that he continues to recover. One thing that I cannot handle is my dad breaking down. My dad has always been strong and logical. I've never seen or heard him cry, but he apparently came close yesterday when talking to my grandma. I will lose it. Please keep the cute kitty in my avatar in your thoughts, he needs to get better.

Keeping the kitty in my thoughts. :xf: I had never seen or heard my dad cry until we had to put our dog down last year, it broke my already breaking heart. :(

Sorry Bearby :(. Seeing Dads cry is the worst! Your kitty and parents are in my thoughts!

I hope the Kitty gets better! :luck:

Why did Bisbee leave the forum? I thought she was still gonna stay and talk to us? :(

It's probably hard for her to stick around :(. WE MISS YOU BISBEE!!!! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so sorry Bearby. I hate to see either of my parents lose it because neither are overly expressive. I hope your kitty feels better

Sent from my SPH-M910 using SDN Mobile

Keeping the kitty in my thoughts. :xf: I had never seen or heard my dad cry until we had to put our dog down last year, it broke my already breaking heart. :(

Same with my grandpa. Even after more than a year since putting down his GSD, he still gets very emotional. Something I never thought I'd see.

Bisbee actually said congrats to me a couple weeks ago. I believe she said she still checks back from time to time but is trying to move on. Sigh. We miss you

hope your kitty gets better soon! :luck::xf: i, um, always thought that picture was a dwarf hamster doing something cute until now. oops...:laugh:

I know what you mean psilovethomas. There is no real reason for unbridled sensitivity and crazed overreactions on this forum; it certainly won't work in the professional world. Try not to let it get to you. I know you're lovely. :hugs:
I miss Bisbee too. I wish she would come back to us!

I know what you mean psilovethomas. There is no real reason for unbridled sensitivity and crazed overreactions on this forum; it certainly won't work in the professional world. Try not to let it get to you. I know you're lovely. :hugs:

:rolleyes: You know what isn't dramariffic at all? Dragging it onto another thread when it was over in the first one.

The multiple layers of irony involved in a person posting passive-aggressively in a completely different thread about another person being "catty" for confronting them about something that multiple people find offensive just attracted me like a fly to a big heaping pile of crap, what can I say? Delicious irony.

:rolleyes: You know what isn't dramariffic at all? Dragging it onto another thread when it was over in the first one.

Well, that is pretty typical of a high school atmosphere, can't argue with that.
"OMG, lyk, did u hear what Barbie said in English this morning????!?!? I cant believe how mean she is! I better I tell the principal"

Just read online that there has been a confirmed case of atypical BSE in a dairy cow in California. Even though the animal wasn't destined for human consumption, the beef market is already taking a hit. Sucks for our beef producers.

I have a job secured in a decent rural mixed animal clinic. I should be happy about this, especially when so many of my classmates don't have jobs yet....and I am. But....

My husband cannot find a job (engineer) in any of the larger cities around that area, and we cannot find a place to live anywhere close enough to the clinic for my on call duties (rural area, few places available). We cannot afford to buy a house due to my massive student loans, and the few places for rent are very strict on their no/limited pets policy. I'M A VETERINARIAN (in 2 weeks). I guarantee I can take care of the pets and their mess if you would just let us rent. We need to move in a month because our lease ends, and I still have no idea how this is going to work. I really wish we could afford to buy a place.

I don't mean to gossip or whatever or drag things on, just very distraught about how things are handled on this forum by posters (not mods!), so I ranted- more of a plea to say "can't we all just get along ffs?" But alas, it is not taken that way and I am ridiculed and mocked.. It does not particularly pertain to the most recent debacle or any particular SDNer's (sorry Nyanko, honestly not singling you out), but just things I've noticed over the past few years, and confirmed by others. Maybe I'll just shut it. Sorry, bad timing I guess. That is all.

Last edited:
Just read online that there has been a confirmed case of atypical BSE in a dairy cow in California. Even though the animal wasn't destined for human consumption, the beef market is already taking a hit. Sucks for our beef producers.

Lissarae, we think alike. One article I read was that it was a dairy cow and was moved to rendering because it was not healthy.

Lissarae, we think alike. One article I read was that it was a dairy cow and was moved to rendering because it was not healthy.
Yeah there is also a wall street journal article that I have seen. They yahoo one mentions that it is atypical BSE (which commenters say is just government cover-up) and the WSJ one doesn't mention the atypical part.

Uggh I hate getting my oil changed. Hate being stuck here. Blah.

Yeah there is also a wall street journal article that I have seen. They yahoo one mentions that it is atypical BSE (which commenters say is just government cover-up) and the WSJ one doesn't mention the atypical part.

CNN didn't call it atypical, but SF Chronicle did (though they aren't a good news source). CNN made me laugh with "some people refer to it as Mad Cow Disease" and it made me ask what else would you refer to BSE as?? They also just started talking about Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and sort of ignored that HEY the fourth case in US history of BSE was found today.

FML. For the second time that I start playing a WW game, my freaking cat sucks my wallet dry. Just dropped another $1000. At this rate all of my hard earned scholarship money for this year is going to go poof. UGHHHHHHHHH

Ughhh....group projects!!! I feel like I am pulling the most weight on this one. We have to present tomorrow and our paper is due as well. One of my group members didn't do anything, claimed to have a family issue, when it turns out she was playing tennis instead.:confused: Just COME ON and get **** done. So ready for the semester to be over.

Also, my roommate is disgusting. We had ants in our apartment a few weeks ago, so we had an exterminator come out to spray. Came home to a note on the door that said "we sprayed for ants but leaving food and garbage on the floor will keep bringing them in." I am a very clean person and don't leave food out or on the floor and take out the garbage regularly. I noticed that my roommate had not put her dirty clothes hamper away from the hallway when I told her to but it away the night before, so I put it in her room because it was gross. Her room is a mess. She has dirty plates, silverware, and glasses on the floor with empty milk gallons and half eaten cakes and donuts. GROSS. It made me very mad, mainly because all the plates, silverware, and glasses are mine. She does not take care of my stuff. I confronted her about it and all she said was "Pfft, that's not why the ants are coming in." She is an ENTOMOLOGY major. She should know better than anyone! Just so beyond frustrated.

My boss at home at the animal hospital did not put me on full time. I talked to my vet and told her I will have to find a different job if I can't have 40hrs/wk because I need money for next year. She said she is very surprised my boss did not schedule me full time because they are short staffed. She also said I will be taking the full time tech's hours when she leaves in a few weeks. I just can't chance it so I've been responding to craig's list ads for vet assistants. Hopefully something will turn up. :xf:

My Mom keeps telling me that it is about time for my baby to go, but I just can't accept it yet and I tear up every time I think about it. I just love her more than anything.

And lastly, my internet was down yesterday so I am so behind on everything.

I just want to drink a glass or two of concord grape wine and sleep.:sleep:

Last edited:
Dear vet students of the world,
If you are going to make a statement on facebook as an attempt to educate the general public about BSE, please make sure you are not horribly incorrect.

Sincerely,
your concerned classmate

Dear vet students of the world,
If you are going to make a statement on facebook as an attempt to educate the general public about BSE, please make sure you are not horribly incorrect.

Sincerely,
your concerned classmate

also if you post on facebook a picture of a cat with fibroadenomatous hyperplasia to try to look smart, don't tell the people who ask what 'fibroadenomatous hyperplasia' means that it's cancer AFTER 2 WHOLE QUARTERS OF PATHOLOGY LOOK AT THE NAME OF COURSE IT ISN'T CANCER and then when a classmate says it isn't cancer don't say "well isn't it benign cancer?" because you're just making yourself look even worse....seriously, two whole quarters of pathology courses and I swear that some of the first things we learned were distinctions between hyperplasia and neoplasia and we also had 2 oncology courses to boot. :mad:

Haven't done much research to tell if there are atypical versions of BSE (although I find prions/prion diseases pretty fascinating) but couldn't it be possible really? I mean, there's sporadic CJD that affects like 300 people in the US a year (if I remember correctly). I personally know someone who died from it actually. So I don't see why it couldn't be possible for it to appear sporadically in cattle.

Not really relevant to the rant I guess...just thinking.

Haven't done much research to tell if there are atypical versions of BSE (although I find prions/prion diseases pretty fascinating) but couldn't it be possible really? I mean, there's sporadic CJD that affects like 300 people in the US a year (if I remember correctly). I personally know someone who died from it actually. So I don't see why it couldn't be possible for it to appear sporadically in cattle.

According to the CDC, there is an atypical form:
Atypical BSE strain -- In July 2007, the UK Spongiform Encephalopathy Advisory Committee (SEAC) suggested that atypical BSE may be a distinct strain of prion disease. Unlike typical BSE, cases of atypical BSE, according to SEAC, may have risen spontaneously (although transmission through feed or the environment cannot be ruled out). Recently reported French surveillance data support this theory that unlike typical BSE, atypical BSE appears to represent sporadic disease

and the link: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/bse/

Last edited:

You will ace your viro class!
Yes, there is atypical BSE. The public just doesn't believe it and thinks its all a big lie!

There are atypical versions of multiple TSEs. Nor98 scrapie comes to mind.

According to the CDC, there is an atypical form:
Atypical BSE strain -- In July 2007, the UK Spongiform Encephalopathy Advisory Committee (SEAC) suggested that atypical BSE may be a distinct strain of prion disease. Unlike typical BSE, cases of atypical BSE, according to SEAC, may have risen spontaneously (although transmission through feed or the environment cannot be ruled out). Recently reported French surveillance data support this theory that unlike typical BSE, atypical BSE appears to represent sporadic disease

and the link: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/bse/

Ah. Well, never mind then. Although, I guess I was correct then.

You will ace your viro class!
Yes, there is atypical BSE. The public just doesn't believe it and thinks its all a big lie!

Silly public.
I'm waiting for them to officially declare whether or not CWD can be transmitted to people. I think I read of a study deeming it possible, but there hasn't been really any other evidence supporting it. Cause I find that scary as well, since I don't think people really think about it or know about CWD as much.