RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reason the animal is in the hospital should be the first thing discussed. Even if there is not a diagnosis. Something along the lines of, "Fluffy is here for a 2 day history of vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and inappetence."

Should be really easy to add to the cage card: "Declaw" "OHE" "Neuter" "Hospitalized" (in this case the patient chart should have more info to what has been going on).

All of the patients where I worked had to have a cage card that included: Name (both first and last, nothing more frustrating than 2 Coco's that no one knows who is who) and reason for visit. We also included any personal belongings that were brought with so they would not be forgotten. All personal belongings were to be placed in a bag or taped together and the owner's last name put on the bag or the tape.
I forgot to mention we do have that on the cage card as well (everything you mentioned in your last paragraph). But again, it's the details that sometimes get missed. The receptionist (or whoever fills out the cage card) concisely writes what they're there for, but sometimes it's rather vague, like "treatment with fluids." Even a brief history in a sentence like you mentioned would be helpful for me if another tech or a doctor doesn't have time to fill me in, but I don't know that there's room for something like that on our cage cards. Of course the patient's history is in their file, but that may be up front with one of the doctors, and if it is easily located, the doctors tend to use words/abbreviations that I don't know yet. Or just have illegible handwriting. :p

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds much more organized than how we do things. :/ The day techs have often already left when I get there, and if they haven't, they may or may not think (or have time) to tell me or another of the evening techs any special instructions for patients. Patients aren't really assigned to an individual tech, everyone is just supposed to keep an eye on everyone. There are usually three techs working at all times; one assisting with one doctor's appointments, the other assisting the other doctor (we have three doctors at the clinic, but only two working at a time), and the third in the back cleaning. The other two help in the back whenever they have time. But if I'm helping in the back and no one went over any special care instructions with me, I kind of get screwed sometimes.

Yeah, you need to have rounds. Very similar to what DVMDream mentioned. When I worked emergency, there was always an hour overlap between shifts for the person leaving to get cleaning done and for rounds to be worked in at some point. Assistants would round assistants, techs would round techs, sometimes all together, and every patient would be identified and discussed. This was also a great time to ask questions about things such as medications if you didn't know what they are for or didn't know what a certain term or test was.

I forgot to mention we do have that on the cage card as well (everything you mentioned in your last paragraph). But again, it's the details that sometimes get missed. The receptionist (or whoever fills out the cage card) concisely writes what they're there for, but sometimes it's rather vague, like "treatment with fluids." Even a brief history in a sentence like you mentioned would be helpful for me if another tech or a doctor doesn't have time to fill me in, but I don't know that there's room for something like that on our cage cards. Of course the patient's history is in their file, but that may be up front with one of the doctors, and if it is easily located, the doctors tend to use words/abbreviations that I don't know yet. Or just have illegible handwriting. :p

Rule #1: It does not matter how busy a clinic is. There is always time for rounds and communication between employees. Clients will understand and wait 5 minutes. If an emergency comes in at that exact moment for whatever reason, then everyone stays until that patient is stable and you spend the 5 minutes doing rounds (or you do the rounds when the vet is off talking to the pet's owner. I have many times listened to another patient's history while standing by an animal that came in as an emergency, usually holding oxygen and monitoring fluids, but I can still listen). There is no such thing as too busy to communicate. None.

Do you have patient files on paper? Or a computer based system?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you need to have rounds. Very similar to what DVMDream mentioned. When I worked emergency, there was always an hour overlap between shifts for the person leaving to get cleaning done and for rounds to be worked in at some point. Assistants would round assistants, techs would round techs, sometimes all together, and every patient would be identified and discussed. This was also a great time to ask questions about things such as medications if you didn't know what they are for or didn't know what a certain term or test was.
That would be amazing! We're not an emergency clinic (although we do regularly see emergencies), so I don't think an hour shift overlap would be necessary, but I'll try suggesting on Monday a more detailed system of notes with any special care instructions, and maybe a mandatory 5 minutes for the day techs to go over those sorts of things with us evening techs. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one that thinks this clinic is a bit disorganized. I was worried that I was totally in the wrong for not taking the initiative to ask someone what's going on with sick patients, and make sure I'm on the same page as everyone else.

And @DVMDream, our patient files are on paper.

Reactions: 1 user

How big are the cage cards? The cage cards we had were like index card sized. Before we did the electronic whiteboard and had everything logged into the computer, we had hospitalization sheets. The sheets were normal sized pieces of paper, on that paper were areas for:

Patient Name:
Owner Name:
Owner Contact #:
Diagnosis:
History:

Then,

Medications with times to be given and a box to initial who gave them.

As well as boxes to mark off for urination, defecation, vomiting, etc. You also had a small area to write any notes about the pet you observed.

There were also places to check off temp, HR, RR, etc, as those were needed.

Pets were then taken out for walks and monitored on a regular basis. Each day a new hospitalization sheet would be created.

How big are the cage cards? The cage cards we had were like index card sized. Before we did the electronic whiteboard and had everything logged into the computer, we had hospitalization sheets. The sheets were normal sized pieces of paper, on that paper were areas for:

Patient Name:
Owner Name:
Owner Contact #:
Diagnosis:
History:

Then,

Medications with times to be given and a box to initial who gave them.

As well as boxes to mark off for urination, defecation, vomiting, etc. You also had a small area to write any notes about the pet you observed.

There were also places to check off temp, HR, RR, etc, as those were needed.

Pets were then taken out for walks and monitored on a regular basis. Each day a new hospitalization sheet would be created.
Ours are about index card sized as well. Hospitalization sheets would be great!

That would be amazing! We're not an emergency clinic (although we do regularly see emergencies), so I don't think an hour shift overlap would be necessary, but I'll try suggesting on Monday a more detailed system of notes with any special care instructions, and maybe a mandatory 5 minutes for the day techs to go over those sorts of things with us evening techs. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one that thinks this clinic is a bit disorganized. I was worried that I was totally in the wrong for not taking the initiative to ask someone what's going on with sick patients, and make sure I'm on the same page as everyone else.

And @DVMDream, our patient files are on paper.

The bolded part above. You still have to do that.

You do and should take the initiative to know what is going on in the clinic and what patients are there for and why. You need to be sure you are on the same page as everyone else in the clinic. Yes, the clinic should have an organized means of how to do this, but if not, you need to do so. If it means approaching dr's, other techs, or even reading the chart yourself, find a way to get the information you need to do your job to the best of your ability.

Also @LyraGardenia , just remember that mistakes do happen. There were two times when I worked emergency that I thought a different line of a treatment sheet was highlighted and gave a patient the wrong medication at the wrong time. I was always up front with the doctors when this happened, and luckily it was never anything serious and they could work around it. But definitely don't beat yourself up over what happened, we learn best from the mistakes we make and *usually* don't make the same ones twice :)

The bolded part above. You still have to do that.

You do and should take the initiative to know what is going on in the clinic and what patients are there for and why. You need to be sure you are on the same page as everyone else in the clinic. Yes, the clinic should have an organized means of how to do this, but if not, you need to do so. If it means approaching dr's, other techs, or even reading the chart yourself, find a way to get the information you need to do your job to the best of your ability.
I understand, and I will try to be better about that in the future. This week has been a real wake-up call, and I'm still processing everything that's happened. I should mention that the dog the incident earlier this week happened with wasn't even hospitalized, just boarding. I knew she was on medications, but I didn't know what they were for, and I had no idea she has serious heart and breathing problems that aren't well-controlled. I made a lapse in judgment regardless by trying to do too much at once and taking my attention away from the dog, but I don't know who to blame for the fact that I didn't know the dog is so sick, myself or everyone else. I know placing blame isn't the point, but I'm trying to figure out how to prevent something like this from happening again.

I understand, and I will try to be better about that in the future. This week has been a real wake-up call, and I'm still processing everything that's happened. I should mention that the dog the incident earlier this week happened with wasn't even hospitalized, just boarding. I knew she was on medications, but I didn't know what they were for, and I had no idea she has serious heart and breathing problems that aren't well-controlled. I made a lapse in judgment regardless by trying to do too much at once and taking my attention away from the dog, but I don't know who to blame for the fact that I didn't know the dog is so sick, myself or everyone else. I know placing blame isn't the point, but I'm trying to figure out how to prevent something like this from happening again.

I understand. It is hard when you are not sure of things. Honestly, the point is not to place blame. The point is how to move forward from here to make things better. It seems as if the clinic may not be as well organized and you may not know what exactly certain meds are for. It is sometimes hard once you get to a certain point in learning to realize that not everyone will recognize a specific combination as meds to equal heart condition and to know what to do for a dog with a severe heart condition (regardless of if it is or is not well controlled). You can definitely try making some recommendations with the vet or your supervisor to see if things can't be more organized. If you feel that you are at a spot where you can do that and they will receive those recommendations well, then go for it. Otherwise, you are going to have to be proactive. A boarding dog has medications, instead of just giving them as directed, seek out the reason why. Look up the medications. Look at that dog's medical history, etc. Ask questions. Even looking at a medical history and seeing "heart failure" is not going to help someone that has not been taught that heart failure = decreased exercise tolerance. See if they are willing to do a 5 minute rounds. Or to make some way that is easier for you to know why a patient is there. Or make warning cards to place on cage doors for specific special needs. In the meantime, work on being proactive. It will help you to learn faster and to learn a bit more about vet med. Learn what medications are for, it will help you significantly in the long-run.

Anyway, story about heart disease in dogs that happened to me as a tech.... Dog comes in with severe coughing and breathlessness from heart failure. This dog, a shih tzu, is placed on oxygen, given lasix (diuretic that should help it breathe easier) and is monitored for a while. After about an hour, he is breathing easier, is more alert and seems to be doing better overall. We bring him out of oxygen and do another quick exam on him. Since he just had lasix the vet recommends that I take him out for a quick walk to go to the bathroom and come back in so we can take xrays. I take him outside (on two leads as was practice policy)... we don't walk far, there is an area for dogs to use the bathroom right outside the back door of the clinic. He does his thing and then instead of just walking on the sidewalk, he jumps off the curb into the parking lot, then back onto the sidewalk. Not much exercise at all, and he walked a maximum of 10 feet from where he was in the clinic to outside, then the 10 feet back into the clinic. That jump was too much for him though. I get the door open, he walks into the clinic and collapses. Vet isn't there when I walk in, so I pick him up and toss him on oxygen and yell for her since she is in the office. She comes over and we are able to get him back to a normal (not blue) color. We put him back in oxygen cage, but that simple bit of increased exercise was all it took. He died later. There was no fault here. I felt terrible. Definitely felt as though it was my fault at the time. But, if that was all it took, had it not happened when it did at the clinic, it very well could have happened that night at home with a simple increase in exercise.. maybe a jump up on the couch or jumping onto someone's lap.

Just to add my two cents... LyraGardenia, you could try keeping a small notebook in your pocket with brief info on all the patients you're caring for. Even if the rest of the staff isn't open to changing how they run their shifts (but, as has been said: there is ALWAYS time to communicate about patients)... you can keep your own "rounds" just by raking notes after checking each patient's chart when you start your shift. And before doing anything with a patient, double (triple, even) check your notes. Also, Google is your friend! If you see a drug or treatment you aren't familiar with, and no one is available to answer your question - Google it on your phone (if you can). I don't trust the internet for everything, but it can give you a gist of what you're working with. It was a life saver for me when I started working in a busy ER setting - always good to double check, and it was an inconspicuous way of learning more and checking yourself.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
It's interesting to hear about clinics that have a morning and an evening shift. I guess I must work at a relatively small place, though we have three doctors. There is always at least one tech who is there all day (7:15 to 6), most days more than one. Usually there are only two of us who have a half day (one in the morning, one in the afternoon) and the others fill us in on what's been going on.

It's interesting to hear about clinics that have a morning and an evening shift. I guess I must work at a relatively small place, though we have three doctors. There is always at least one tech who is there all day (7:15 to 6), most days more than one. Usually there are only two of us who have a half day (one in the morning, one in the afternoon) and the others fill us in on what's been going on.

We were open 7:15 to 7PM and rarely ever left before 8:30PM at night.

Usually you would work either 7:15-5PM or 9:30-close (whenever that might be). Depending upon the schedule, other peoples' schedules, time off requests, number of staff, etc... you could end up with 3 12 hour shifts (working open to close) or you could end up with one 12 hour shift or two. They tried to keep us at 4, 10 hour shifts each week. Though things would get shifted around as needed. So, the "Night" techs would really have been there all day. However, we did have some night techs that were in school and so their shifts didn't start until 1 or 2PM. So they would need to be filled in. We would also officially "hand off" patients. This way there was no question as to who was to be watching over a particular pet. Granted most everyone knew a little something about each patient when we did the afternoon/evening "hand off" it was a way to say "ok, X technician is taking care of y and z patient". It was also a way to be sure that the tech did know what they needed to do for the rest of that day.

I always made it a habit for when I first arrived at the clinic to do a quick glance over of all patients that were on the schedule. I would read history, check vaccine status, etc. I would know what times of the day were looking to be "slow" times and what times we might be "busy". I also knew which pets to expect around what times. I would have a general idea of every pets' history and for the pets I would check in, I would read their histories more in depth and I always read them before going into the exam room. But, I did a lot of supervisor type of things... such as organizing employee lunches for the day. This required quite a bit of balance. Each employee would get a 30 minute or hour lunch break depending upon the length of their shift. I had to know which employees were working AM shift, which were PM shift, which had 8 hour shifts, 10 hour shifts or 12 hour shifts. I had to know what was going on with the schedule. I had to know who was going to be the surgery tech and where they were at with surgeries. If we only had one receptionist for the day, I would have to fit her into tech lunches and have a tech cover reception. I had to have a general idea of what each tech was doing, where they were, etc. I would have to keep a running tab in my mind of who is going to lunch 1st, 2nd, etc (AM techs get lunch first, followed by 12 hour shift techs, followed by PM techs) and if I can overlap lunches (send one person, 30 minutes later, send another, which was usually best). It became habit for me to basically have an appointment schedule memorized, as well as type of appointment (vaccine vs. work-up), and knowing what all the techs were doing as well as what the vet was thinking/planning treatment-wise for each pet they were dealing with.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was different for me too, at first. The last clinic I worked at just had one doctor, a receptionist, two certified techs, me, and a couple high school girls as kennel techs. We were open 7:30 to 5:30 during the week, and everyone was there all day if they were working unless someone got special permission to leave early or arrive late. We were only open 8-noon on Wednesdays and the doctor didn't come in, so he had a weekday to run errands and such, and we were open 8-noon on Saturdays.

At the clinic I'm at now, we have the three doctors, two receptionists and three techs there most of the time, plus the office manager. We're open 8 to 7 Monday through Thursday, 8 to 6 Friday, and 8 to noon Saturday, but we get there a half hour before we open, and are usually there cleaning up to an hour and a half to two hours past close. Long story short, it's not really feasible for most people to work a 12-13 hour shift five days a week! (We're short-staffed right now, so most of us work every day Monday through Friday, and some of us Saturdays, unless we ask off.) The day shift is much longer (we change over at 3), but it's mostly the women who have worked there longer, or that are older and out of school who work days.

Oh don't worry you're not weird at all. I spent my 21st bday doubled over in pain (turns out I had viral meningitis and mono at the same time), as my whole family went out for my bday dinner without me. That's how the cool kids do it.

:eek: That sounds horrible. Did they at least take you out to dinner after you got better? Thank you for the reassurance that I'm not an anomaly.

Don't click if you don't like creepy crawly bugs! This just happened.....what the actual heck :eek:

NOPE. :yuck: I feel like it should illegal for bugs to be that big.

:( :( :( It's been a rough couple weeks for my mom's pets. One older dog had a tooth root abscess so we went in and did a dent, his teeth were gross and I got to clean them (That should go in rave, actually, love gross teeth) but then a few days after that her little dog tore his CCL & meniscus. $3k+ sx and she doesn't have the money for it. Here comes the rant: We are probably just gonna do NSAIDs/strict rest and hope scar tissue builds but she fails to see that STRICT REST DOES NOT MEAN RUN IN THE YARD JUST BECAUSE THE YARD IS FENCED. He's in a crate all day, I walk him on a leash then back in, but she gets home and lets him out and he runs with the other dog and GAHHHHHHHH I'm gonna pull my hair out! He walks out pretty good after resting, he tries to put the leg down, but then he romps and comes back totally lame. It's gonna be 3 months of this rest and I have no diea what I can do to get it into her head. GRRRRR. She just keeps saying "He has a knee like me now" - Okay so do YOU go running? No. You don't exercise because you're lazy and reclusive. But that's a whole 'nother story. I'm only here for another month so I'll try to intervene as much as I can but I am so frustrated.

I dropped off the face of the SDN earth. Unfortunately, there has been much death this month. 4 puppies, 1 cat, my friend's great grandma, my great grandma, and one of my best friend's dad passed away from a heart attack today at 53. I can't even fathom... I wish I could be back home to be with her and help support her. I have a tight knit group of friends since we were in kindergarten and I just can't even believe it. I'm in shock and I feel so much heartbreak. I just wanna go home and hug every single one of my family members. Too many tears shed..

I'm in big time trouble at the teaching hospital, yay. I filled in for the main small animal rehab assistant last week. She gave me her keys (a hospital policy no-no) so that I could open and close up. We have a special hiding drawer. On Tuesday, I used them to open up and then went to put them back in the drawer. Wednesday they weren't there. 4 different people have searched the entire rehab area and no luck. I've had other people go through my work bag, and I've torn apart my car looking for them. If they report them as lost, the main vet assistant will get a warning in her file for sharing them. If we report them as stolen, the 4 rooms in rehab have to be re-keyed, which costs money. The clinicians are pissed, rightfully so. I know they think they are at my houseb or in my car, but I really really really believe they were stolen or accidentally ended up in the trash. But I feel awful because the department is going to suffer because of what feels like my mistake. I know if they were stolen it isn't my fault, but I can't help but feel culpable for it.

Ugh... family drama :rage: My sister is so dramatic and takes pretty much everything you say to her the wrong way. My dad said something to her about her husband and she called my mom saying how she can never come to the house anymore because she cannot bring him over because my dad does not like being around him. My dad apparently said that he does not like being around him when he is high as a kite on pain killers (he has some serious back problems) because he is incoherent and sleeps the whole time.

Told my mom that if she was going to be all dramatic or pissy still in a few weeks, then I did not want her coming to my White Coat ceremony because it was my day. My mother's response was "We will cross that bridge when we come to it." :boom:No.... she is not coming if she is pissy and this feud is still going on...

This is silly, but I have a presentation for my summer research tomorrow and I've managed to make myself sad in a stupid way. I'm writing it down so I can get back to my powerpoint and get over it.

My research involved putting dogs in an open field test and playing three minutes of thunderstorm noises at them (while analyzing HR/behavior/etc). I have a video clip of one of the dogs looking really stressed in my presentation, and I feel obligated to reassure my audience that all of the dogs did fine afterward and they got lots of loving and treats...

...meanwhile, tons of the other presentations have been on research where pigs, rats, etc were killed and I didn't even think twice about it. I'm sure many of the pigs and rats were just as stressed out, freaked out and scared as the dogs in my study, and they didn't get treats and love afterward. They just got slaughtered. sucks.

:thumbdown:

Last edited:
This is silly, but I have a presentation for my summer research tomorrow and I've managed to make myself sad in a stupid way. I'm writing it down so I can get back to my powerpoint and get over it.

My research involved putting dogs in an open field test and playing three minutes of thunderstorm noises at them (while analyzing HR/behavior/etc). I have a video clip of one of the dogs looking really stressed in my presentation, and I feel obligated to reassure my audience that all of the dogs did fine afterward and they got lots of loving and treats...

...meanwhile, tons of the other presentations have been on research where pigs, rats, etc were killed and I didn't even think twice about it. I'm sure many of the pigs and rats were just as stressed out, freaked out and scared as the dogs in my study, and they didn't get treats and love afterward. They just got slaughtered. sucks.

:thumbdown:

LAM can be tough :( if it makes you feel any better, Im sure due diligence was paid to IACUC/ACC regulations to at least give them a humane death. Behavioral research is one of the tougher things to study, though, because you can't refine as much as you'd like because of the interference. Sucks.

LAM can be tough :( if it makes you feel any better, Im sure due diligence was paid to IACUC/ACC regulations to at least give them a humane death. Behavioral research is one of the tougher things to study, though, because you can't refine as much as you'd like because of the interference. Sucks.
Oh, I'm sure! I'm not against lab animal use at all, and I've taken most of our courses in the field and definitely know that the animals' lives were lived for a purpose and death was humane. Couldn't personally do it as a career path, but definitely an absolutely fascinating field. Just make myself a little sad sometimes.

Planning for life after graduation is starting to seriously stress me out. I thought I had it figured out, but the closer dates get, the more I'm second guessing myself. It'll still be lab animal, I'm just stuck on where/how to go about it. I wanna go back to primary school where the biggest decision I had to make was, "Do I want to grow up to be Sailor Mars or the Pink Ranger?" :bang:

My overall GPA is lower than I thought it was :( I am feeling extremely dejected..

Raging migraine due to not getting lunch today while doing lab work... still stuck here until who knows when, but need to get home, eat something, get rid of this awful thing, and make it to puppy class tonight that I cannot miss. It is the Star puppy test tonight... I hate today, it needs to go away and I just want to curl up in a ball and cry myself to sleep. Migraines are the worst.

Got a text from the roommate where I'm subletting that electricity for June was $73. She asks me to leave a check for this month and add the same amount for July since we won't see each other after it's due. I said that's really high I didn't even turn the air until June 20th. I ask if she can email me a copy of the bill. She says well air conditioning is expensive and she can send me the bill but not until this weekend. I leave tomorrow and she wants a check for $146 without showing me any bill. No way! I'm nice but I'm not that nice.

That time when the team lead that does the scheduling doesn't have their crap together, puts out a schedule the night before the first day of it and schedules you during all the times it was previously arranged for you not to work. This is the second time, which is unacceptable. People need some freaking notice.

Other things are getting missed at work which is leading to big eff ups. I'm sorry, are we all on vacation mode with the month of nice weather we get each year? Can we show up to work with our brains on please? :annoyed:

My boss is awesome and all, but I feel like a loser living in his basement. everyone's been great at work but I really hate not having my own space and feeling like I need to be on my best behavior 24/7. sometimes, I just really want to sit on the couch in my undies in the middle of the day and drink heavily.

I'm in big time trouble at the teaching hospital, yay. I filled in for the main small animal rehab assistant last week. She gave me her keys (a hospital policy no-no) so that I could open and close up. We have a special hiding drawer. On Tuesday, I used them to open up and then went to put them back in the drawer. Wednesday they weren't there. 4 different people have searched the entire rehab area and no luck. I've had other people go through my work bag, and I've torn apart my car looking for them. If they report them as lost, the main vet assistant will get a warning in her file for sharing them. If we report them as stolen, the 4 rooms in rehab have to be re-keyed, which costs money. The clinicians are pissed, rightfully so. I know they think they are at my houseb or in my car, but I really really really believe they were stolen or accidentally ended up in the trash. But I feel awful because the department is going to suffer because of what feels like my mistake. I know if they were stolen it isn't my fault, but I can't help but feel culpable for it.

That sucks Jam, I'm sorry :(
Did you notice they were gone wed. Morning when you got there to open? What are the chances that someone would steal these keys? I assume that most people back in that area are students/ clinicians/ other vet school employees.. Do these keys have other purposes other than locking/ unlocking doors? ( ie- do they unlock controlled drug drawers etc.)

Also does UTCVM have a laundry service for scrubs/ white coats? Maybe they were in someone's pockets and sent to laundry?

Looks like my grandfather is dying :( I'm so upset. He's barely responsive and is basically not eating. This was so sudden and we have no idea what precipitated this. He was fine a month ago :(

Looks like my grandfather is dying :( I'm so upset. He's barely responsive and is basically not eating. This was so sudden and we have no idea what precipitated this. He was fine a month ago :(
I'm very sorry to hear this :( I'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

I am FUMING!

Edit: Too much info given. Still fuming though.

My grandfather was just rushed to the hospital. It's not looking good :( I would appreciate all of your thoughts.

My sister's dog and my nephew weren't getting along. I offered to take the dog. Unfortunately, he is majorly stressing my cat out, and she spends most of her day hiding in the bathroom. The second she even hears the dog, she hides. *sigh* I tried, but the dog has to go. I have no idea where he'll go. I'm just not willing to do this to my cat for dog that isn't even mine. :(

My grandfather my have Creutzfeldt-Jakob. No words :(

My research project is not going well.

I've been here for 8 weeks, I've got 2 weeks left in the program (and I stupidly signed up to present at the Merial conference next week - why oh why did I think I'd be done a week early?) and my freakin' controls aren't even working. My negative control is more positive than my positive control, how does that even happen.

And I miss my family and my friends and my dogs and my town and I'm just very, very ready to be home again.

My research project is not going well.

I've been here for 8 weeks, I've got 2 weeks left in the program (and I stupidly signed up to present at the Merial conference next week - why oh why did I think I'd be done a week early?) and my freakin' controls aren't even working. My negative control is more positive than my positive control, how does that even happen.

And I miss my family and my friends and my dogs and my town and I'm just very, very ready to be home again.
Don't worry! Very few of these summer research projects actually net results. The program is meant to give you a taste of research, and that research is all about going wrong 98% of the time. My project also has no results, but I made my poster, and am pleased that is looks pretty, but that is about all it is good for. Some of us 2017ers will be there next week too, so we can gripe together. :)

My sister's dog and my nephew weren't getting along. I offered to take the dog. Unfortunately, he is majorly stressing my cat out, and she spends most of her day hiding in the bathroom. The second she even hears the dog, she hides. *sigh* I tried, but the dog has to go. I have no idea where he'll go. I'm just not willing to do this to my cat for dog that isn't even mine. :(

:( I'm sorry to hear it. I agree with you, though, not fair to K to be stressed out by it all.

Cool Ohio.....thanks for switching to PPI's and eliminating letters. :rage: