RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Urgh. I mixed up the hypoglossal foramen and stylomastoid foramen on the test.

I did impress myself by remembering that the geniculate ganglion within the genu of the facial nerve at the facial/petrosal canal of the temporal bone was a thing, though! Apparently a lot of people missed that one. I figured that if I was going to forget a ganglion, that that would likely be the one :D
Haha
ha
wut

(I don't think we had to learn that one...only the cranial cervical ganglion, the ciliary ganglion, and the distal ganglion of the vagus)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Urgh. I mixed up the hypoglossal foramen and stylomastoid foramen on the test.

I did impress myself by remembering that the geniculate ganglion within the genu of the facial nerve at the facial/petrosal canal of the temporal bone was a thing, though! Apparently a lot of people missed that one. I figured that if I was going to forget a ganglion, that that would likely be the one :D

I know you are saying words...
I hate to say that what you're learning isn't important but my anatomy knowledge now is maybe 5-10% of what I learned. If I wasn't a lab rat veterinarian it might be a little more important, I guess.

Reactions: 6 users
I hate to say that what you're learning isn't important but my anatomy knowledge now is maybe 5-10% of what I learned. If I wasn't a lab rat veterinarian it might be a little more important, I guess.
Yeah I'm all about those ganglions in day to day practice... :p

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah I'm all about those ganglions in day to day practice... :p
Oh, no, I definitely agree and, no, I almost certainly won't give two hoots about the ganglia in daily practice (unless I go into neuro... which would never happen with my grades, even if I enjoyed it). But you guys know how anatomy tests in vet school are. :(

Oh, no, I definitely agree and, no, I almost certainly won't give two hoots about the ganglia in daily practice (unless I go into neuro... which would never happen with my grades, even if I enjoyed it). But you guys know how anatomy tests in vet school are. :(
Right, I totally get it. It was almost even more frustrating knowing that I wouldn't need a lot of what was crammed into my brain for that course in the long-term. I'm definitely pulling for you, Sandstorm! From what you've posted your first semester is playing out a lot like mine did. I'm hoping you did better than you expect or there is a big curve.

Last edited:
Right, I totally get it. It was almost even more frustrating knowing that I wouldn't need a lot of what was crammed into my brain for that course in the long-term. I'm definitely pulling for you, Sandstorm! From what you've posted your first semester is playing out a lot like mine did. I'm hoping you did better than you expect or there is a bug curve.
Thanks so much, Jayna! <3

Haha
ha
wut

(I don't think we had to learn that one...only the cranial cervical ganglion, the ciliary ganglion, and the distal ganglion of the vagus)
:eek: Whoa, really? We had to know at least a good 15-20 of them... but our anatomy professor actually is a neurologist, so that might explain that. And we have a specific neuroanatomy course next semester, so I can only imagine how much further in-depth that class is going to go.

:eek: Whoa, really? We had to know at least a good 15-20 of them... but our anatomy professor actually is a neurologist, so that might explain that. And we have a specific neuroanatomy course next semester, so I can only imagine how much further in-depth that class is going to go.
Those were the only ones we had to know in the head. For the rest of the body...middle cervical, one i can't remember the name of, celiacomesenteric, lumbosacral (but didn't have to actually dissect it) and I think that's it.

One of the programs I applied to through the match just sent me an email that reads: "Due to unforeseen circumstances, we will not be taking any residents during the 2016-2017 application process." Kind of frustrated I burned one of my applications on them when they aren't even taking anyone. I really shouldn't complain, but I'd almost rather be rejected than told I completely wasted my time applying there (especially when it was the only program I applied to that required additional application materials...)

The match is crap and that sucks.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like everyone's anatomy is harder than ours. Our prof is trying to keep what we have to know to more "clinically relevant" stuff. I'll let y'all know in 2 years if that's true or not

Reactions: 1 user
RANT: my stupid puppy broke one of his carnassial teeth. He's 4 months old, so that one isn't going to fall out for maybe 2 months still. So now I have to get it pulled. I took him to the community practice service and was like HERE PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS I DON'T KNOW TEETH.

I feel like everyone's anatomy is harder than ours. Our prof is trying to keep what we have to know to more "clinically relevant" stuff. I'll let y'all know in 2 years if that's true or not
That's what our prof has tried to do as well. I mean, probably still some stuff that won't be as relevant as other stuff, but he's definitely told us not to bother with some things that the books talk about because it just won't be relevant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too feel like my anatomy must be easier than other schools. we didn't seem to go too into detail with structures like that, but we also do 3 species at the same time.

RANT: my stupid puppy broke one of his carnassial teeth. He's 4 months old, so that one isn't going to fall out for maybe 2 months still. So now I have to get it pulled. I took him to the community practice service and was like HERE PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS I DON'T KNOW TEETH.
haha I do this to them any time I have teeth, derm, vaccine anything (same school). I'm like here you fix its skin and I'll fix its DKA.

My rant is that I helped take rads tonight (not just push the button like normal) which meant putting on the darn lead gloves. Well, said gloves were MOIST inside, and SMELLED LIKE AWFUL SWEAT. UGH. So now my hands reek of nasty someone else's sweat smell. No matter how many times I wash them or how many times I apply fragrant lotion. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Never again. Ever. EVER.

haha I do this to them any time I have teeth, derm, vaccine anything (same school). I'm like here you fix its skin and I'll fix its DKA.

My rant is that I helped take rads tonight (not just push the button like normal) which meant putting on the darn lead gloves. Well, said gloves were MOIST inside, and SMELLED LIKE AWFUL SWEAT. UGH. So now my hands reek of nasty someone else's sweat smell. No matter how many times I wash them or how many times I apply fragrant lotion. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Never again. Ever. EVER.

Eww...always wear exam gloves under the lead. Those things are nasty.

That's hilarious and awful. I feel bad for laughing. :laugh:

:laugh: I feel your pain.

I have to wear gloves for dispensing propane, and the combination of copious mansweat, the boys leaving them in the rain, and summer heat creates a pretty gross wet warm funk. Pretty sure the sweat somehow finds a way to rot lol.

Dishsoap and hand cream that smells like cologne is the best thing I have found for it, if you have it in the house give it a try?

Try using some vanilla extract on your hands. Or, if you don't have cuts, use lemon/lime juice. I prefer lime, but whatever citrus you have on hand will work. I used to work with a lot of dead fish, and either vanilla or lime always worked best to cut through the smells.

Now you know how we feel anytime something weirdly neuro walks in. HELP LESION LOCALIZATION OH GOD IT'S TWITCHING.

It seems to be working out for me just fine. Dr. Sonea is amazing. Is Dr. Bowker still around? TBH, If I have a question about anatomy, I look it up (esp if I'm doing ortho sx). My fav source is the CSU dissection website.

It seems to be working out for me just fine. Dr. Sonea is amazing. Is Dr. Bowker still around? TBH, If I have a question about anatomy, I look it up (esp if I'm doing ortho sx). My fav source is the CSU dissection website.
I think she's everybody's favorite. And he is still a lab instructor, but I hear he's mostly retired now

I'll take your derm things!! I'm still toying with the idea of a derm residency after a year off. I know that will make it hard to get back into that mindset, but it keeps creeping into the back of my mind more than I thought it would.

I'll take your derm things!! I'm still toying with the idea of a derm residency after a year off. I know that will make it hard to get back into that mindset, but it keeps creeping into the back of my mind more than I thought it would.
Derm & path are my favorites! Which I really wasn't expecting to love either of them.

We had a paper due for a group project in one of my classes with a 5-6 page limit. I edited it and got it to 6 pages exactly and someone in my group changed the font to Times New Roman, so now it's 7 pages exactly, then submitted it. I asked her why and she just said she doesn't like Calibri. WTF, there wasn't a font requirement for this paper and it makes no sense to change nothing about it except for the font just so it now explicitly doesn't meet the paper requirements. What the heck.

Have you ever seen a tea tree oil toxicity? Or has anyone else on here?

Have you ever seen a tea tree oil toxicity? Or has anyone else on here?

I saw one like my second month working in an ER, it didn't end especially well. 4yr old Cairn Terrier that had a flea allergy, they had tried a lot of OTC products that didn't work so before trying "serious" Rx meds they wanted to try a natural route. Concentrated oil down his whole back and chest.

Had already been having seizures for two hours when he got to us, temp >107, was placed on a Valium CRI but ultimately was euthanized for quality of life due to ongoing tremors and liver damage. :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Didn't get my paycheck today. Our mail box is on the street, but there's a little slope from the road so if there's any amount of snow on the ground the mail person just doesn't deliver. Probably out of fear of getting stuck, but with what's on the ground right now . . . It's pretty unlikely. Drives me SO CRAZY. They have to get out of their car and walk to the mail boxes that are on other houses, so why can't they do that for ours? They don't leave a note or anything, we just have an empty mail box. Now we have to go pick it up from the post office and just hope that the driver didn't decide to take it in the truck (and not deliver it again) which happened last winter. We'd go in and they wouldn't have our mail on hand, but they also wouldn't deliver it. grr.

Didn't get my paycheck today. Our mail box is on the street, but there's a little slope from the road so if there's any amount of snow on the ground the mail person just doesn't deliver. Probably out of fear of getting stuck, but with what's on the ground right now . . . It's pretty unlikely. Drives me SO CRAZY. They have to get out of their car and walk to the mail boxes that are on other houses, so why can't they do that for ours? They don't leave a note or anything, we just have an empty mail box. Now we have to go pick it up from the post office and just hope that the driver didn't decide to take it in the truck (and not deliver it again) which happened last winter. We'd go in and they wouldn't have our mail on hand, but they also wouldn't deliver it. grr.
Geeze, whatever happened to "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"?

Reactions: 4 users
Immediately after I walk in the door at home, and there's drama. "Well, it hasn't been like this for the past months that you haven't been here!" yeah ok sure

I've studied probably 40 hours for my biochem final (went over all like 500 flashcards I had made for this class and last year's exams until I completely understood the material). And the questions were 100% different from what I studied... soooo that sucks. I studied all of that for practically nothing. I'm just holding on hope for biochem 2 where it's a different professor that I really like, and I can rediscover my love of biochemistry!
I had that same problem with biochem too. First time I took it, was a somewhat large class at my undergrad (not huge lecture hall, but like 90+ students). There were study sessions put on by the TAs, but the only examples/materials they covered were literally from 20-year-old exams which were nothing like the content/style of current exams or even our lecture notes. I was already struggling, so going to those sessions and relearning about base concepts didn't help me for exams at all. When I retook biochem at this university, it was LEAGUES better--very small class size, and an awesome, sweet professor who wanted to make sure everyone was keeping up. It still wasn't easy but the material became so much more understandable. Sucks that you have to take biochem II though...pouring one out for you get the good professor.

I had that same problem with biochem too. First time I took it, was a somewhat large class at my undergrad (not huge lecture hall, but like 90+ students). There were study sessions put on by the TAs, but the only examples/materials they covered were literally from 20-year-old exams which were nothing like the content/style of current exams or even our lecture notes. I was already struggling, so going to those sessions and relearning about base concepts didn't help me for exams at all. When I retook biochem at this university, it was LEAGUES better--very small class size, and an awesome, sweet professor who wanted to make sure everyone was keeping up. It still wasn't easy but the material became so much more understandable. Sucks that you have to take biochem II though...pouring one out for you get the good professor.
Yeahhh. It's rough. So I'm a biochemistry major, so it makes sense why I have to take both.

There's only about 100 in my class for biochem 1 for biochem majors, he always gave us last year's exam the week before to study, but he never gave us the key. He made us come to office hours instead, and then he would get mad when we would be asking lots of questions during his office hours. And then you expect the final to be sort of similar to last year's final (because that's how it was for the last two exams, and it was 100% different). Unfortunately he's the only biochem 1 teacher (who doesn't even want to be a biochem teacher- he's tried for 3 years in a row to switch to the microbiogy department and has been rejected everytime).

But the biochem 2 teacher is my academic advisor and I did my biochem research with her. She's a tough love kind of professor- hard, but fair. She's the kind that the class is going to be hard, but if you try, you're going to do well. So I'm really excited about that, and hopefully that gets me excited about biochemistry again- which I love, but have hated with my current teachers.

I've studied probably 40 hours for my biochem final (went over all like 500 flashcards I had made for this class and last year's exams until I completely understood the material). And the questions were 100% different from what I studied... soooo that sucks. I studied all of that for practically nothing. I'm just holding on hope for biochem 2 where it's a different professor that I really like, and I can rediscover my love of biochemistry!

Many of my exams in vet school have went this way. I'm not good at reading teacher's minds. Sadly it doesn't end in undergrad :(

Many of my exams in vet school have went this way. I'm not good at reading teacher's minds. Sadly it doesn't end in undergrad :(
that makes some sad. :( idk maybe my way of thinking is old fashioned, dated, or naive, but I think that if you study hard for a test, you should do well on it, regardless if you aren't a mind reader..

that makes some sad. :( idk maybe my way of thinking is old fashioned, dated, or naive, but I think that if you study hard for a test, you should do well on it, regardless if you aren't a mind reader..
Would make sense :laugh:

Geeze, whatever happened to "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"?
I went to the post office this morning. They didn't have our mail - it's out in the truck. I cleared the snow from around our mail box as best as I could. Let's see if they actually deliver today. :rolleyes:

I went to the post office this morning. They didn't have our mail - it's out in the truck. I cleared the snow from around our mail box as best as I could. Let's see if they actually deliver today. :rolleyes:
3ce0a0742f6576764736b7d55e8c085c5bd8ac431d61988e9aa127514d34f8d9.jpg

Last Saturday at the clinic was a full day of nothing but puppies and puppy vaccines.

I should have realized then that that meant that today would be the day of death. So much death.

We were super excited because 1 euthanasia called us to say that the cat had turned a corner and was doing better (awesome long term client). So that made it even harder when at the end of the day (after a whole pile of euths) she called me in hysterics because she had just found her cat's dead body on the floor.

We stayed open 4 hours later than normal because we had so many animals to euthanize.

ETA: Part of the reason for the influx was because it snowed on Thursday/Friday and people here are too scared to leave their houses if any snow is visible whatsoever. So everyone that would have shown up then showed up today.

Last edited:
Last Saturday at the clinic was a full day of nothing but puppies and puppy vaccines.

I should have realized then that that meant that today would be the day of death. So much death.

We were super excited because 1 euthanasia called us to say that the cat has turned a corner and was doing better (awesome long term client). So that made it even harder when at the end of the day (after a whole pile of euths) she called me in hysterics because she had just found her cat's dead body on the floor.

We stayed open 4 hours later than normal because we had so many animals to euthanize.

ETA: Part of the reason for the influx was because it snowed on Thursday/Friday and people here are too scared to leave their houses if any snow is visible whatsoever. So everyone that would have shown up then showed up today.
:( That's tough.

I hate sending patients home AMA...especially cyanotic ones...

It's the worst. Almost had to do one on a ferret a couple weeks ago. Thankfully they eventually agreed to euthanasia. Definitely didn't think it would make it through the night if they took it home.
I called and the pet made it home okay, but that's all I'm going to do.

I'm finally on vacation, have a trip all lined up. I'm supposed to leave tomorrow morning (now this morning) and I either have a stomach virus or food poisoning. Been vomiting and feeling cruddy for the past 4 hours.