Elkhart

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2015
MO
Status
Non-Student
Making decisions about the future is hard. Ugh.
Having a lot of the same issue right now. Wanting to apply to grad school, have been in touch with a couple of PIs and whatnot, but am terrified that my vet school grades will automatically kill my chances at it despite having done well in undergrad and having a publication and some conference presentations under my belt. Ugh.

I feel you. I hope your path becomes clearer soon.

cdoconn

obsessed with the plague
2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
The vet clinic that I just dropped my babies off for boarding require that every single boarding patient gets Capstar, regardless of presence of fleas or being UTD on flea prevention.

My one little dog is on Trifexis which has flea control (Spinosad) AND has a Seresto collar. I get why they do it- I appreciate that they’re trying to prevent fleas in their environment but... ugh. I hate having to pay more money for something that’s already being covered.

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
@ Person:

those hours will [eventually] destroy your physical and perhaps mental health, even if things are kosher now and the money's great. Just please be careful. (Ask me how I know.)

There might be ways to politely bring up the eyestrain/migraines issue with your direct management and/or IT without being a "bother." Eye health is SO important. (Ask me how I know.) The monitor doesn't have physical hardware brightness controls? Hmm. Maybe also try Ctrl + [+ key] or Ctrl + scroll wheel on mouse to see if you can adjust the zoom to larger font size. It helps. Yes, it makes you feel like you're getting old but eff the haters.

ziggyandjazzy

curiosity killed the cat
2+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2017
Status
Veterinary Student
Also ask about computer glasses when you can go to eye dr. I love mine I dont get headaches from being on the screen now
Second going to an optometrist

I got really bad headaches on computers until I realized I am farsighted

Reactions: Elkhart

kcoughli

Lab Animal Resident
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2013
Chicago, IL
Status
Veterinarian

genny

babycat
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
i have no record of my 2nd dose of the chicken pox vaccine :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:
Is this a problem? I never got the vaccine. Just got chicken pox. Twice.

I found out my 2nd MMR dose was given 2 weeks too early when I was a baby, and the school wouldn't accept me as vaccinated for MMR. So I had to have titers done. Which is silly, since there's no "safe" titer level for MMR.

grebes4lyfe

Wine loving wolf
Jun 26, 2018
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Is this a problem? I never got the vaccine. Just got chicken pox. Twice.

I found out my 2nd MMR dose was given 2 weeks too early when I was a baby, and the school wouldn't accept me as vaccinated for MMR. So I had to have titers done. Which is silly, since there's no "safe" titer level for MMR.
I mean I could just go get the 2nd dose. But I’d rather not.

vetmedhead

I hope my heart goes first!
2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
in bed
Status
Veterinary Student
Hugs, Finny. Sometimes we have to see ourselves for who we actually are and not for who a small person tries to convince us we are. If it's someone you're close to who's telling you this, or it's someone who is just telling it to you a lot, feel free to hit me up. My dad used to talk to me like that all the time and it's deeply hurtful to experience.

PrincessButterCup

5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2014
I've never flown with Frontier before. They had the cheapest flight so I went with them, and when I booked it looked like you could choose your seat and pay extra, or just let them assign you one at the gate (for free, I thought). Not so. Also you have to pay all over again to check your bag on connecting flights. (Is that normal? I don't usually check baggage but I'm packing a bunch of stuff my brother wanted me to bring.) So, I'm out an extra hundred-some dollars I wasn't intending, which makes this flight on par with the more convenient ones I could have picked instead :dead:

I was planning to have tomorrow morning to catch up on stuff before I leave, but my boss scheduled a meeting for when I'm technically "out of town" (but I won't have left yet) and I'm ever so slightly bitter about having to come in right before I leave for the airport. First world problems and all that.

vetmedhead

I hope my heart goes first!
2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
in bed
Status
Veterinary Student
I've never flown with Frontier before. They had the cheapest flight so I went with them, and when I booked it looked like you could choose your seat and pay extra, or just let them assign you one at the gate (for free, I thought). Not so. Also you have to pay all over again to check your bag on connecting flights. (Is that normal? I don't usually check baggage but I'm packing a bunch of stuff my brother wanted me to bring.) So, I'm out an extra hundred-some dollars I wasn't intending, which makes this flight on par with the more convenient ones I could have picked instead :dead:

I was planning to have tomorrow morning to catch up on stuff before I leave, but my boss scheduled a meeting for when I'm technically "out of town" (but I won't have left yet) and I'm ever so slightly bitter about having to come in right before I leave for the airport. First world problems and all that.
Yeah, frontier is one of those airlines that has cheap fairs but nickel and dimes the difference out of you. I've had success with them by stuffing everything I need into a personal item (or whatever they call it - they charge for carry on but not for whatever you can fit under the seat) and not bringing anything else. Backpacks definitely fit, and I've also gotten away with a fairly large duffel bag, you just have to be a bit nonchalant about it and only pack things that can go through TSA

Trilt

puppy snuggler extraordinaire
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
I'm a cheapass and still don't fly Frontier. They're a pain, and yeah, if you want to do anything other than transport your body from point a to point b the savings are questionable anyway.

MixedAnimals77

Trash Panda C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2016
with the livestock
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I booked it looked like you could choose your seat and pay extra, or just let them assign you one at the gate (for free, I thought). Not so.
Hey I'm flying with them home and I paid to check a bag but not for seat assignment.... can you explain this part. I flew with them 4 years ago before they broke everything down to NY and it was fine but obviously it's been a while.

PrincessButterCup

5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2014
Hey I'm flying with them home and I paid to check a bag but not for seat assignment.... can you explain this part. I flew with them 4 years ago before they broke everything down to NY and it was fine but obviously it's been a while.
Yeah, when I was checking in online it told me I needed to select my seat (which was around $20 for each connection) and that if I waited until I was at the terminal it would cost more. When I purchased the ticket seat selection looked like an optional thing from the way they advertised it.

Reactions: MixedAnimals77

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I'm a cheapass and still don't fly Frontier. They're a pain, and yeah, if you want to do anything other than transport your body from point a to point b the savings are questionable anyway.
I flew frontier from NJ to CA on the cheapest flight I could find. There I had to take 3 flights (PHL—>Omaha, Omaha—>Denver, Denver—>California). On the way back I had to take 2 flights (California—>Denver, Denver—>PHL). Never again. There took 12 hours and back took 10, not counting time zone changes. I still paid $500, had to pay to check my bag, was extremely uncomfortable since I’m 6’3, and almost missed a connecting flight. And I got a middle seat almost every time.

I’m flying to Vegas next weekend with Southwest and it’s so much better already. It was $40 more than Frontier or Spirit but it comes with two checked bags, a carryon, a personal item, in flight entertainment, and 4” more legroom. As you said, you only save a marginal amount flying budget airlines and that’s only if you fly with nothing but yourself and your free personal item.

Reactions: grebes4lyfe

PrincessButterCup

5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2014
99% of the time I could get by with just a backpack, but my brother has me bringing some things he had to leave at home and half my suitcase is his Xbox/games/controllers. He's definitely helping pay for the checked bag fees or making it up to me with food or something because I'm too poor to be this generous :p

PrincessButterCup

5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2014
I’m flying to Vegas next weekend with Southwest and it’s so much better already. It was $40 more than Frontier or Spirit but it comes with two checked bags, a carryon, a personal item, in flight entertainment, and 4” more legroom. As you said, you only save a marginal amount flying budget airlines and that’s only if you fly with nothing but yourself and your free personal item.
Haha, I should have consulted people before I bought my tickets. I would have been warned away.

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Haha, I should have consulted people before I bought my tickets. I would have been warned away.
I promise you’ll be alright. It’s not THAT bad. It’s sort of like if you had the option of getting a fresh pizza from your favorite pizza place, or a pizza from a place you’re “meh” about and it was sitting out for an hour and then reheated. The second one is still okay objectively and you’re not going to hate yourself while you’re eating it, but the first one is definitely much better.

• Haha
Reactions: SkiOtter

PrincessButterCup

5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2014
I promise you’ll be alright. It’s not THAT bad. It’s sort of like if you had the option of getting a fresh pizza from your favorite pizza place, or a pizza from a place you’re “meh” about and it was sitting out for an hour and then reheated. The second one is still okay objectively and you’re not going to hate yourself while you’re eating it, but the first one is definitely much better.
Good news is I have a different airline for my return flight, so I (hopefully) won't have to jump through these circus hoops both ways.

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Delta. Please tell me they're not also money whores. :laugh:
Ooooooo I have a story again! I had a flight scheduled to Mississippi for an interview. I bought travel insurance and everything when booking my flight with delta. I ended up cancelling the flight because I withdrew all my other apps before my interviews and whatever, so I didn’t need to go. I called and Delta said they have no idea how the insurance works since it’s not through them. I call the insurance company and it turns out there are like 4 different packages. I got the cheapest one (the only one Delta offered me) and it doesn’t cover cancellations unless you are basically dying/dead/there’s terrorist activity in the country you’re flying to. So I was out $350 and Delta played dumb.

Also:

Reactions: WildZoo and cdoconn

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
I flew Frontier a number of times back when I was doing vet school interviews.... so yanno.... a while ago. Never had a problem. They were great. I also refuse to buy any flight with more than a single layover (only exception to this are international flights)...... you can't blame the airline if you purchase a flight with multiple layovers, that travel plan will take FOREVER even if everything runs 100% smoothly.

Southwest is by far my favorite.

But overall, I get on the plane, sit my arse in the seat, pass the **** out, wake up at my destination. Perfection! ;)

Reactions: vetmedhead

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
i have no record of my 2nd dose of the chicken pox vaccine :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:
The vaccine wasn't really "around" per say when I was a kid.... I was on the cusp of when it became mainstream to vaccinate for chicken pox... so my older sister and I got chicken pox, my two younger sisters got the vaccine.

I also got the joy of developing shingles later on when I was about 12/13....... honestly, based on this experience alone get the damn vaccine because shingles is horrifically painful and chicken pox in adults is worse than chicken pox in kids for some reason. Just make sure you are protected.

Reactions: Doctor-S

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I flew Frontier a number of times back when I was doing vet school interviews.... so yanno.... a while ago. Never had a problem. They were great. I also refuse to buy any flight with more than a single layover (only exception to this are international flights)...... you can't blame the airline if you purchase a flight with multiple layovers, that travel plan will take FOREVER even if everything runs 100% smoothly.
You’re definitely right. I think the layover thing was just compounded by the fact that it’s frontier. So being so tall and being stuck in the small seats was made worse by getting up multiple times and then getting situated again. I think it would have been much better if there was more legroom, comfier seats, etc. I think Frontier is fine for most people. But if you’re over 6’ tall, maybe second guess whether or not you’re going to be okay sitting in those seats for your whole trip. Because I definitely wasn’t.

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
You’re definitely right. I think the layover thing was just compounded by the fact that it’s frontier. So being so tall and being stuck in the small seats was made worse by getting up multiple times and then getting situated again. I think it would have been much better if there was more legroom, comfier seats, etc. I think Frontier is fine for most people. But if you’re over 6’ tall, maybe second guess whether or not you’re going to be okay sitting in those seats for your whole trip. Because I definitely wasn’t.
Yeah, I understand. I am short but my dad is 6' 4" so small seats are definitely a pain for him to get comfortable in. He can't have anything under the seat in front of him either or he is even more miserable. There are some of those smaller planes where a row towards the back has 3 chairs but the row in front only has 2 chairs, so that third chair in that far back row has a TON of leg room since no one in front of you. So, if we could, we'd aim for that seat for my dad.

Caiter92

Definitely not a cucumber with anxiety
2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
Every time I’ve flown Southwest I’ve had issues. I’m surprised so many people like them haha

Alaska is my favorite. But I also fly out of their main hub so it’s also a lot cheaper here compared to from other airports I’ve looked at flying on them from.

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
Ooooooo I have a story again! I had a flight scheduled to Mississippi for an interview. I bought travel insurance and everything when booking my flight with delta. I ended up cancelling the flight because I withdrew all my other apps before my interviews and whatever, so I didn’t need to go. I called and Delta said they have no idea how the insurance works since it’s not through them. I call the insurance company and it turns out there are like 4 different packages. I got the cheapest one (the only one Delta offered me) and it doesn’t cover cancellations unless you are basically dying/dead/there’s terrorist activity in the country you’re flying to. So I was out $350 and Delta played dumb.

Also:
Okay but
You bought it through a third party.
Delta didn’t sell it to you and you didn’t read the terms and conditions about what the travel insurance is for. That’s not Delta’s fault. And they likely didnt “play dumb” because it’s not their product you bought so they have no reason to have all of the customer service reps trained on what the insurance entails.

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Okay but
You bought it through a third party.
Delta didn’t sell it to you and you didn’t read the terms and conditions about what the travel insurance is for. That’s not Delta’s fault. And they likely didnt “play dumb” because it’s not their product you bought so they have no reason to have all of the customer service reps trained on what the insurance entails.
They didn’t make it clear at all the the insurance wasn’t through them. And the bulleted points under reasons to buy the insurance mentioned things like cancelling your trip. Something along the lines of “if you need to cancel your trip.” It didn’t stipulate in those highlights that you can only cancel for things that likely won’t happen (like being dead). Yea, i should’ve done my due diligence, but it’s still extremely sleazy to come across one way and bait people into buying the insurance which doesn’t actually cover anything. This obviously happens to enough people because there are hundreds of articles about it if you look up flight insurance on google.

CoffeeQuestionMark

WSU c/o 2023
Dec 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
OK I'll share my related stories

I am traveling to Turkey in July. Travel insurance is mandated for the tour I booked because your medical insurance does not cover you overseas. That is the sole reason I bought it - if you are overseas and don't have travel insurance, medical costs are out of pocket. I bought it alongside my ticket as well (United) but was able to browse through different types of offers and I looked up the insurance company to make sure it was recommended beforehand. The cheapest options offered refunds for very few cancellation purposes. I have no intentions of cancelling the trip and just needed the medical insurance/baggage damage coverage so I was OK with it.

I purchased a ticket to an interview at UMN and cancelled the UMN interview once I was accepted to my instate. I did not realize that the package I bought through a discount site was non-refundable. The hotel was willing to refund no problem. The airline was a lot less so and refused. I get really hot headed over businesses trying to take advantage of consumers. Non-refundable tickets especially, whereas most tickets are non-refundable after the first 24 hours. Alaska has a saver price which is their only non-refundable ticket, and the one I apparently purchased.

My issue with non-refundable tickets: not well advertised, and the airline is likely going to overbook the flight so even if you're a no-show and did not get a refund, your seat will still be filled.

I did a lot of research and ultimately filed a backcharge through my bank. I was contacted by the company and asked for evidence. I took a screenshot of the ticket terms where it says no cancellations, and of the email I got from Alaska where my return flight was cancelled for not showing up to the original flight. To me, if terms say no cancellations, and the company cancels the ticket, the terms are void. Anyways, I never heard from them again, and the backcharge went through, so I did not have to pay for the ticket that I didn't use.

Caiter92

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
But a ticket being non refundable is well advertised? At least for Alaska and delta, if you select their saver or basic fair it takes you to a second page where you have to verify the flight and that you accept the terms. Which are in both an info graphic and then written out shortly as well. The fair being non refundable is bolded for Alaska and I’m pretty sure delta too.

There’s only so much airlines can do to make sure people read the terms of the ticket. The rest is up to them :shrug:

batsenecal

U of I c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Perpetual state of disarray
Status
Veterinary Student
Every time I’ve flown Southwest I’ve had issues. I’m surprised so many people like them haha
They're the only ones I haven't had issues with. Lol. But then again, I only take 1 to 2 hour flights between Chicago, San Antonio, and Denver. Pretty hard to mess that up.

First year 1.0, a group of 3rd turning into 4th years booked tickets for a spirit flight to college station for SAVMA at A&M. Turns out, spirit overbooked them and they lost their seats on the flight. They learned this at the airport when checking in.

They ended taking their OSCE/milestone, driving up to Chicago, turning around back to Champaign, renting a car, driving down to A&M, and going to their behind the scenes tour at Seaworld only with whatever sleep they could get in the car as they were all taking driving shifts. Total bada**** to me to get it done.

Delta is over expensive for what you get, especially for short flights.

Reactions: Caiter92

CoffeeQuestionMark

WSU c/o 2023
Dec 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
But a ticket being non refundable is well advertised? At least for Alaska and delta, if you select their saver or basic fair it takes you to a second page where you have to verify the flight and that you accept the terms. Which are in both an info graphic and then written out shortly as well. The fair being non refundable is bolded for Alaska and I’m pretty sure delta too.

There’s only so much airlines can do to make sure people read the terms of the ticket. The rest is up to them :shrug:
I wasn't buying directly through Alaska, but that's beside the point. There is no reason an airline should be allowed to sell a ticket twice if they are not offering refunds. They aren't losing money. There is essentially nothing else you can buy that is non-refundable. Sure, maybe you have to pay a non-refundable deposit on certain things, but not the full price.

Reactions: Skimble

Caiter92

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
They're the only ones I haven't had issues with. Lol. But then again, I only take 1 to 2 hour flights between Chicago, San Antonio, and Denver. Pretty hard to mess that up.

First year 1.0, a group of 3rd turning into 4th years booked tickets for a spirit flight to college station for SAVMA at A&M. Turns out, spirit overbooked them and they lost their seats on the flight. They learned this at the airport when checking in.

They ended taking their OSCE/milestone, driving up to Chicago, turning around back to Champaign, renting a car, driving down to A&M, and going to their behind the scenes tour at Seaworld only with whatever sleep they could get in the car as they were all taking driving shifts. Total bada**** to me to get it done.

Delta is over expensive for what you get, especially for short flights.
Yeah I've mostly flown them when going to CA and on three occasions they have lost mine or a family members luggage haha. All three of those times were a smaller plane where everything bigger than a personal item had to be checked plane side (even standard carry-ons). Two of the times the luggage arrived the next day so wasn't a huge deal. Another time it took like three days and got there the day before we left. That was a fun trip :laugh:

Either Delta or Alaska is always the cheapest for me around here, cause I refuse to go spirit when it'll basically end up being the same price after adding on a carry-on, so that's another reason I almost always fly them.

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
I wasn't buying directly through Alaska, but that's beside the point. There is no reason an airline should be allowed to sell a ticket twice if they are not offering refunds. They aren't losing money. There is essentially nothing else you can buy that is non-refundable. Sure, maybe you have to pay a non-refundable deposit on certain things, but not the full price.
Doctor's office visit....you no show or don't cancel with appropriate time they'll charge you.

I think cruise tickets are non-refundable

Groupon won't give refunds for service based items like house cleaning if you received the service even if the service was mediocre or even damaged your property.

I'm sure I could think of more.

Yeah, I think airlines should change the rule to no refunds if no cancellation by 2 weeks prior to the trip. So if you cancel prior to 2 weeks before your trip, you can get a refund. I get why they have a no refund policy because it is money lost occasionally. I wish we had a policy like this at vet clinics.

Caiter92

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
But usually there is a pretty substantial discount in price for it to be non-refundable. Delta has been around $70 each way for their basic for me, and I've seen Alaska around $100+ less each way for their saver. That's going to come with a trade-off. Most tickets are not completely refundable anyway. Usually there is a flight change fee and then you can use the value of the ticket in full after.

A fully refundable ticket, with no flight change fee, is going to be almost twice the cost as a standard economy ticket.

Airlines are businesses, they're not going to be giving away things for free.

CoffeeQuestionMark

WSU c/o 2023
Dec 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Doctor's office visit....you no show or don't cancel with appropriate time they'll charge you.

I think cruise tickets are non-refundable

Groupon won't give refunds for service based items like house cleaning if you received the service even if the service was mediocre or even damaged your property.

I'm sure I could think of more.

Yeah, I think airlines should change the rule to no refunds if no cancellation by 2 weeks prior to the trip. So if you cancel prior to 2 weeks before your trip, you can get a refund. I get why they have a no refund policy because it is money lost occasionally. I wish we had a policy like this at vet clinics.
Yes, for no shows or no cancels. But you CAN cancel up to 24 hours in advance usually. And it makes sense to not get a refund once you receive something (I don't expect a refund on a meal that I don't like... however, even in this instance, a good restaurant will usually try to make you happy) This is something where you are locked in no matter what 24 hours after purchase. It's the whole travel industry (where you mention cruise ships).

CoffeeQuestionMark

WSU c/o 2023
Dec 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
But usually there is a pretty substantial discount in price for it to be non-refundable. Delta has been around $70 each way for their basic for me, and I've seen Alaska around $100+ less each way for their saver. That's going to come with a trade-off. Most tickets are not completely refundable anyway. Usually there is a flight change fee and then you can use the value of the ticket in full after.

A fully refundable ticket, with no flight change fee, is going to be almost twice the cost as a standard economy ticket.

Airlines are businesses, they're not going to be giving away things for free.
You can choose to accept things for how they are just because they're the norm, but that doesn't mean it should be and you shouldn't be defending them.

DVMD makes a good suggestion about about to 2 weeks in advance. THIS would be a consumer friendly practice. The current practice is a legalized scam. Again, I'm going to point out that airlines WILL overbook the same seat they refuse to refund you, and this is not something you should be ok with unless you enjoy being a doormat.

Skimble

With Beans
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2014
Pennsylvania
Status
Veterinarian
As far as the travel insurance thing goes, I’m part of a travel FB group and they often complain about getting trip insurance in case plans change and they need to cancel or change flights, and often it’s not covered except under extremely rare circumstances. These same sites list the need to cancel or change flights as a reason to get the insurance. I’m sure it’s somewhere in the details, but they often make it hard to find.