Caiter92

Definitely not a cucumber with anxiety
2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
You can choose to accept things for how they are just because they're the norm, but that doesn't mean it should be and you shouldn't be defending them.

DVMD makes a good suggestion about about to 2 weeks in advance. THIS would be a consumer friendly practice. The current practice is a legalized scam. Again, I'm going to point out that airlines WILL overbook the same seat they refuse to refund you, and this is not something you should be ok with unless you enjoy being a doormat.
Uh okay, that escalated quickly. Thanks for calling me a doormat.

Yes, having only 24 hours is ridiculous. But it's well advertised. They are not trying to hide it. They try to make their terms extremely clear. Yes, it would be far better for airlines to give more leeway. I think up to two weeks before a flight would be probably too extreme for an airlines bottom line, but having a few weeks after purchasing a ticket, especially for trips planned months in advanced, would be great. But you CAN still make changes to travel if a flight isn't non-refundable in many airlines, even up to day of. I've done it before on Alaska. Yeah I had to pay a $125 flight change fee, but that was far preferable to loosing the $500 I spent on my trip otherwise.

Businesses have policies. As long as they make them clear, which Alaska and Delta do, they aren't trying to scam people.

CoffeeQuestionMark

WSU c/o 2023
Dec 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary

Yes, having only 24 hours is ridiculous. But it's well advertised. They are not trying to hide it. They try to make their terms extremely clear. Yes, it would be far better for airlines to give more leeway. I think up to two weeks before a flight would be probably too extreme for an airlines bottom line, but having a few weeks after purchasing a ticket, especially for trips planned months in advanced, would be great. But you CAN still make changes to travel if a flight isn't non-refundable in many airlines, even up to day of. I've done it before on Alaska. Yeah I had to pay a $125 flight change fee, but that was far preferable to loosing the $500 I spent on my trip otherwise.

Businesses have policies. As long as they make them clear, which Alaska and Delta do, they aren't trying to scam people.
Just because something is clear, doesn't mean it is fair or should be legal. EX. What if EVERY company had a non-compete clause? So anyone you would go to work for, you had to agree to not work for a competitor in your area if you leave. If you leave, you have to move or go to work in a different industry.

It's well advertised... so... that's ok?

Caiter92

Definitely not a cucumber with anxiety
2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
Just because something is clear, doesn't mean it is fair or should be legal. EX. What if EVERY company had a non-compete clause? So anyone you would go to work for, you had to agree to not work for a competitor in your area if you leave. If you leave, you have to move or go to work in a different industry.

You’re clearly not going to change your mind about this so I’m just going to disengage. Especially after you decided to bring in insults. We’re talking about airline policies and people being upset non-refundable tickets turned out to be non-refundable as stated, not non-compete clauses. How on earth does me planning my trips with airline policies in mind in any way mean I could be okay with non-compete clauses?

Reactions: SkiOtter

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
They didn’t make it clear at all the the insurance wasn’t through them. And the bulleted points under reasons to buy the insurance mentioned things like cancelling your trip. Something along the lines of “if you need to cancel your trip.” It didn’t stipulate in those highlights that you can only cancel for things that likely won’t happen (like being dead). Yea, i should’ve done my due diligence, but it’s still extremely sleazy to come across one way and bait people into buying the insurance which doesn’t actually cover anything. This obviously happens to enough people because there are hundreds of articles about it if you look up flight insurance on google.
Delta has ALWAYS made it incredibly clear that the insurance is not through them and is through a third party. It’s right below all the reasons it’s recommended to get insurance, along with a link to their website with the plan details. Other airlines may not make it as clear, but delta always has.

Reactions: SportPonies

CoffeeQuestionMark

WSU c/o 2023
Dec 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
You’re clearly not going to change your mind about this so I’m just going to disengage. Especially after you decided to bring in insults. We’re talking about airline policies and people being upset non-refundable tickets turned out to be non-refundable as stated, not non-compete clauses. How on earth does me planning my trips with airline policies in mind in any way mean I could be okay with non-compete clauses?
This are not unrelated arguments.
Two legal and well-advertised but unfair business practices.
I'm demonstrating that your reason for why it's ok breaks down because in a different circumstance using the same argument, it's not ok.
Point being, unfair business practices can and should be challenged.

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
You can choose to accept things for how they are just because they're the norm, but that doesn't mean it should be and you shouldn't be defending them.

DVMD makes a good suggestion about about to 2 weeks in advance. THIS would be a consumer friendly practice. The current practice is a legalized scam. Again, I'm going to point out that airlines WILL overbook the same seat they refuse to refund you, and this is not something you should be ok with unless you enjoy being a doormat.
Two weeks out and they’re still likely going to have that seat open on their flight. It’s not a scam. If you don’t like the terms and conditions or don’t care to read them, don’t fly. Don’t purchase non-refundable things and then complain that you can’t get your money back.

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian

Umm, you've never seen a employment contract for a veterinarian, have you?

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian

I got food poisoning before an early early morning flight to Vegas, I still wanted to go but was way too weak to get there for the early morning flight.

Called southwest they got me on a later flight that day no problem and no fee.

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
Two weeks out and they’re still likely going to have that seat open on their flight. It’s not a scam. If you don’t like the terms and conditions or don’t care to read them, don’t fly. Don’t purchase non-refundable things and then complain that you can’t get your money back.
Yeah the 2 weeks was just a random number. I know many people book flights last minute so figured 2 weeks would be enough but it may need to be longer.

CoffeeQuestionMark

WSU c/o 2023
Dec 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
IDK about you, but most flights that I go on are full.
If the chance is so great to have empty seats, the planes should be smaller.
OR, last minute ticket prices should go down, not up.
There are many alternatives to filling a plane and having consumer that are not being utilized.

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
IDK about you, but most flights that I go on are full.
If the chance is so great to have empty seats, the planes should be smaller.
OR, last minute ticket prices should go down, not up.
There are many alternatives to filling a plane and having consumer that are not being utilized.
I’ve been on quite a few flights that were NOT full. I fly out of a delta hub. On delta.
Read the terms and conditions next time and don’t buy a damn non-refundable ticket if there’s any chance you might cancel. Paying a $125-200 change fee and being able to use the original cost on a future flight is not bad at all.

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
Yeah the 2 weeks was just a random number. I know many people book flights last minute so figured 2 weeks would be enough but it may need to be longer.
Yeah I think for trips booked far in advance, a few weeks after booking would be fair to have free changes or cancellations. But I think a lot of people do book further out rather than last minute because flights are usually cheaper then vs waiting

CoffeeQuestionMark

WSU c/o 2023
Dec 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
What if I conceded and said, OK, no cancel policy is fair.
(hypothetical)
For what reason should they have to not allow the ticket to be resold/transferred to someone else? They still get the money...?

CoffeeQuestionMark

WSU c/o 2023
Dec 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I’ve been on quite a few flights that were NOT full. I fly out of a delta hub. On delta.
Read the terms and conditions next time and don’t buy a damn non-refundable ticket if there’s any chance you might cancel. Paying a $125-200 change fee and being able to use the original cost on a future flight is not bad at all.
This was not an option

ziggyandjazzy

curiosity killed the cat
2+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2017
Status
Veterinary Student
I got food poisoning before an early early morning flight to Vegas, I still wanted to go but was way too weak to get there for the early morning flight.

Called southwest they got me on a later flight that day no problem and no fee.
Interesting bc I was vomiting profusely, called Alaska, and they made me buy a completely new ticket. No refund at all.

I agree airline policies are unfair, esp for situations like this. I literally asked them, so do you want me to show up to the airport vomiting everywhere and every half an hour on the plane. They still didn't care :/

Reactions: CoffeeQuestionMark

batsenecal

U of I c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Perpetual state of disarray
Status
Veterinary Student
agree airline policies are unfair, esp for situations like this. I literally asked them, so do you want me to show up to the airport vomiting everywhere and every half an hour on the plane. They still didn't care
From their perspective, they don't know if you're lying, unfortunately. It's just like in vet med and us not being able to do payment plans. Regardless of if someone has to cancel their flight within 24 hours because their sick or whatever, gotta treat everyone the same.

ziggyandjazzy

curiosity killed the cat
2+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2017
Status
Veterinary Student
From their perspective, they don't know if you're lying, unfortunately. It's just like in vet med and us not being able to do payment plans. Regardless of if someone has to cancel their flight within 24 hours because their sick or whatever, gotta treat everyone the same.
I mean, doctors notes are a thing. pretty easy way to figure out if people are lying or not.
And I dont see the connection with payment plans at all lol. (also I worked at a clinic that did payment plans all the time, but that is a completely different conversation)

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
I mean, doctors notes are a thing. pretty easy way to figure out if people are lying or not.
And I dont see the connection with payment plans at all lol. (also I worked at a clinic that did payment plans all the time, but that is a completely different conversation)
Nope not at all. People get doctors notes for the ****ing ESAs they don’t need all the goddamn time just so they don’t have to pay the fees to travel with their pet.

JaynaAli

Need it STAT or want it STAT? They're different.
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
You know what I hate way more than change fees and non-refundable tickets? That I have to pay $125 EACH WAY for my dog to go in a place where I would be allowed to put a bag (on any airline) FOR FREE. I understand that if there are issues then they have to give people discounts and stuff, but why does my dog that literally doesn't make a peep have to cost so much? Especially in the era of fake ESAs to avoid paying the fees...why not just make the fees less so us rule-minding people don't get ripped off?

Edit: Ski with the semi-related ESA ninja.

batsenecal

U of I c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Status
Veterinary Student
From a business perspective, they aren't going to go through the effort and bureaucratic nonsense of verifying doctor notes. Just not going to happen with less than 24 hours to verify it and having to rely on call backs and such from doctors offices. From a cost vs rewards perspective, it's not worth it for them because they wouldn't have a return on investment. At least, I wouldn't do it.

The last clinic I worked in was in the red over 20k due to defunct payment plans and was only 2 years old. That's the point I was trying to make. For a lot of vet clinics, payment plans arent worth the effort because a too high percentage of clients won't follow through on those payments. Obviously the point was missed if you haven't been in that situation though.

I'm not going to fault a business for not being willing to take that hit.

batsenecal

U of I c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Status
Veterinary Student
You know what I hate way more than change fees and non-refundable tickets? That I have to pay $125 EACH WAY for my dog to go in a place where I would be allowed to put a bag (on any airline) FOR FREE.
That's truth! Dogs are property and if we're going to keep them that way (different discussion), let's treat the that way. Or at least offer a reimbursement of some sort for we'll behaving pets that don't act any different than my backpack. Children also don't cost extra and can be far more disruptive than most flying pets.

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeQuestionMark

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
Especially in the era of fake ESAs to avoid paying the fees...why not just make the fees less so us rule-minding people don't get ripped off?
If the fees weren’t so high, people wouldn’t have to GET a fake ESA to get around it too :lame:

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
From a business perspective, they aren't going to go through the effort and bureaucratic nonsense of verifying doctor notes. Just not going to happen with less than 24 hours to verify it and having to rely on call backs and such from doctors offices. From a cost vs rewards perspective, it's not worth it for them because they wouldn't have a return on investment. At least, I wouldn't do it.

The last clinic I worked in was in the red over 20k due to defunct payment plans and was only 2 years old. That's the point I was trying to make. For a lot of vet clinics, payment plans arent worth the effort because a too high percentage of clients won't follow through on those payments. Obviously the point was missed if you haven't been in that situation though.

I'm not going to fault a business for not being willing to take that hit.
Yep my vets office doesn’t offer payment plans either. OCCASIONALLY if it’s a really good client and they forgot their wallet or something, they’ll let them go and just call with the card number when they get home or pay next time, but that’s only like 5 people out of the whole clinic and it’s not even a true payment plan or for a large amount of money, like a surgery. If someone needs an actual payment plan, we suggest care credit.

JaynaAli

5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
That's truth! Dogs are property and if we're going to keep them that way (different discussion), let's treat the that way. Or at least offer a reimbursement of some sort for we'll behaving pets that don't act any different than my backpack. Children also don't cost extra and can be far more disruptive than most flying pets.
Exactly. I always preboard with Winston so I have enough time to get him under the seat without holding up the line. Even the people I sit next to never know he's even there until I pull him out at the end. Make it cheap and make it obvious that disruptive dogs will be fined or something. Infants in arms are free, my dog should be free or at least way cheaper.

ziggyandjazzy

curiosity killed the cat
2+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2017
Status
Veterinary Student
You know what I hate way more than change fees and non-refundable tickets? That I have to pay $125 EACH WAY for my dog to go in a place where I would be allowed to put a bag (on any airline) FOR FREE. I understand that if there are issues then they have to give people discounts and stuff, but why does my dog that literally doesn't make a peep have to cost so much? Especially in the era of fake ESAs to avoid paying the fees...why not just make the fees less so us rule-minding people don't get ripped off?

Edit: Ski with the semi-related ESA ninja.
I mean, this goes back to them being a business. They charge that much because they can, and because people will pay.
Corporations aren't ethical and they dont act in ethical ways to be nice to people. They do what they do so they can make money. and more money.

Squeaksmom

3rd class semi-aquatic mammal... ish
5+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2013
Status
Veterinary Student
I absolutely hate being old!

genny

babycat
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
I wish we had a policy like this at vet clinics.
My clinic makes people who cancel last minute or no call/no show prepay for the exam fee if they want to schedule future appointments with us. I think it's about as progressive as vet med is going to get!

Reactions: DVMDream

ziggyandjazzy

curiosity killed the cat
2+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2017
Status
Veterinary Student
Doctor's office visit....you no show or don't cancel with appropriate time they'll charge you.

I wish we had a policy like this at vet clinics.
But generally doctor's offices won't charge you the full amount, they will charge a set base fee.
My clinic makes people who cancel last minute or no call/no show prepay for the exam fee if they want to schedule future appointments with us. I think it's about as progressive as vet med is going to get!
At the clinic I worked at, we would charge a no show fee for surgeries that people just didn't bring their animals for. No clue how common that is but I feel like it should be the norm? I also know a lot of places charge a deposit to even get an appointment which seems like a better policy lol. People no showed for surgeries so frequently but even "charging" that, often we just never heard from the people again so it didn't really help much.
Since it was walk in for exams, clearly no showing wasn't a thing.

genny

babycat
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
At the clinic I worked at, we would charge a no show fee for surgeries that people just didn't bring their animals for. No clue how common that is but I feel like it should be the norm? I also know a lot of places charge a deposit to even get an appointment which seems like a better policy lol. People no showed for surgeries so frequently but even "charging" that, often we just never heard from the people again so it didn't really help much.
Since it was walk in for exams, clearly no showing wasn't a thing.
Surgery no-shows are a rarity for us, like maybe 3 or 4 a year between several doctors? But appointment no-shows happen a few times a week, which sucks for us because we generally fill all of our appointment slots, so we could have seen another client if they had just given us enough notice. I can't imagine working in a clinic where everything is walk-in. That sounds like a nightmare.

ziggyandjazzy

curiosity killed the cat
2+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2017
Status
Veterinary Student
Surgery no-shows are a rarity for us, like maybe 3 or 4 a year between several doctors? But appointment no-shows happen a few times a week, which sucks for us because we generally fill all of our appointment slots, so we could have seen another client if they had just given us enough notice. I can't imagine working in a clinic where everything is walk-in. That sounds like a nightmare.
We probably had it happen so frequently because it was a non-profit clinic, and thus people often had no money, couldn't get a ride or off work, etc. Like it def happened at least weekly. Most of the time we could fill the spots with a local shelter or TNR cats but yeah, it really sucked. Especially when people booked like 4 of their animals to come in and then just never did (when the waiting list was often months and months out).

Oh and walk in clinic? total nightmare. The fire department had to come several times because we were over capacity...
I mean I love the people in that clinic and everything they did for me, but there is so much that went wrong there. Hindsight is always 20/20

ziggyandjazzy

curiosity killed the cat
2+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2017
Status
Veterinary Student
I've never heard of this. Lol. But I would have no problem implementing it.
I should've phrased better. I meant surgery appointment. I know my parents had to pay a deposit to schedule their dog's dental. Maybe they had too many no shows also? not sure!

Squeaksmom

5+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2013
Status
Veterinary Student
Still never heard of it until I got to vet school, to be honest. Lol.
The only thing my vet makes you pre-pay for is euthanasia. They actually bring the debit machine into the room so you don't have to be in the waiting room crying or whatever. At first it didn't make sense to me, but I guess if you euthanize your only pet you'd have no reason to come back.

Reactions: batsenecal

JaynaAli

5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
The only thing my vet makes you pre-pay for is euthanasia. They actually bring the debit machine into the room so you don't have to be in the waiting room crying or whatever. At first it didn't make sense to me, but I guess if you euthanize your only pet you'd have no reason to come back.
In my experience, it's not that they wouldn't have a reason to come back so much as if I were to euthanize someone's dog then ask them to go to the front desk after the deed is done, it is hard because they're usually crying and/or upset and to pull them out of their grief to collect money is difficult. It's better to get them to pay when they arrive, that way they can take what time they need to grieve in the room and leave on their own accord without having to stop and pay in a moment when the grief is especially raw.

batsenecal

U of I c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Status
Veterinary Student
We did do this at every clinic I've been at for the reason Jayna noted. Just didn't consider it like putting down a deposit since it was happening within the same hour. We got all the paperwork done prior to the event, especially if it was a planned rather than surprise euthanasia.

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Also you have to pay all over again to check your bag on connecting flights. (Is that normal? I don't usually check baggage but I'm packing a bunch of stuff my brother wanted me to bring.)
No, it's not normal. That's downright weird to pay double. I've paid $25 when checking my bag at the origin airport, stop at my layover for an hour, then continue on to the destination airport. $25 for 2 physical flights, and another $25 for the 2 flights back. I'd call Frontier to see if you got screwed out of $50!

Delta. Please tell me they're not also money whores. :laugh:
The entire airline industry is a money hoar. My last flight was on Delta (Economy PLUS :p ) and I overheard a flight attendant ranting about how Delta made $x million last year just from the $25 baggage fees and charging for snacks/drinks.

It's a gorram racket.

Every time I’ve flown Southwest I’ve had issues. I’m surprised so many people like them haha
Southwest was my favorite to fly in the late 90s and most of the 2000s. A TSA ground supervisor and a Southwest manager bullied me for about 30 minutes in San Diego in 2011 and likely committed a felony, but I didn't have a smartphone back then so was unable to record them for liability purposes. It's possibly past the SoL too. :( I've since boycotted Southwest Airlines for both personal and work trips, and I haven't been back to the San Diego airport either.

Okay but
You bought it through a third party.
Delta didn’t sell it to you and you didn’t read the terms and conditions about what the travel insurance is for. That’s not Delta’s fault. And they likely didnt “play dumb” because it’s not their product you bought so they have no reason to have all of the customer service reps trained on what the insurance entails.
+1

@ajs513, was it through Allianz? I pulled the trigger on the Allianz travel insurance when I bought tickets through Delta.com, but I immediately cancelled it since buying it directly through Allianz gave me a better package. I cancelled that too then just bought the 1-year package lol.

Sucks bro, but hopefully a lesson learned in #adulting to read the fine print. You'd be surprised how many ostensible adults of all ages gloss over the fine print.

Last edited:

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
In my experience, it's not that they wouldn't have a reason to come back so much as if I were to euthanize someone's dog then ask them to go to the front desk after the deed is done, it is hard because they're usually crying and/or upset and to pull them out of their grief to collect money is difficult. It's better to get them to pay when they arrive, that way they can take what time they need to grieve in the room and leave on their own accord without having to stop and pay in a moment when the grief is especially raw.
Yeah, this is the reason why my vet does it at the beginning too.

Squeaksmom

5+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2013
Status
Veterinary Student
Yeah, that's what I meant by don't need to be in the waiting room crying.

PrincessButterCup

5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2014
Hey I'm flying with them home and I paid to check a bag but not for seat assignment.... can you explain this part. I flew with them 4 years ago before they broke everything down to NY and it was fine but obviously it's been a while.
PSA!

The girl I sat next to on my first flight tonight told me IT'S ALL LIES

You don't have to pay for your seat. They only make it look like you do, but you don't, you can just click 'continue' and everything is FINE. But there's NO WAY YOU'D KNOW IT because they're money whores.

Y'all that's a $60 lesson learned :laugh:

Also, I aspire to be my seat buddy someday, who is traveling coast to coast with only a personal item. She's what I want to be.

MixedAnimals77

Trash Panda C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2016
with the livestock
Status
Pre-Veterinary
PSA!

You don't have to pay for your seat. They only make it look like you do, but you don't, you can just click 'continue' and everything is FINE. But there's NO WAY YOU'D KNOW IT because they're money whores.

Y'all that's a $60 lesson learned

Also, I aspire to be my seat buddy someday, who is traveling coast to coast with only a personal item. She's what I want to be.
Thank you! I was actually going to do some research tonight!

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
@Stroganoff yea it was Allianz. It’s just so frustrating. Most things are as they appear on the surface without reading the fine print. It’s just some of the more... shystery fields like insurance and car sales where you get screwed by the fine print. It just takes so long to actually read all of the fine print, and there’s so much legalese that it becomes too much. So people just end up taking it at face value and realize after that it was a mistake. Now excuse me, i have some money to wire to a Nigerian prince. Apparently I’m owed a large sum of money after.

Reactions: Stroganoff

vetmedhead

I hope my heart goes first!
2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
in bed
Status
Veterinary Student
PSA!

Y'all that's a $60 lesson learned :laugh:

Oh yeah, there's teeny tiny print to click on that basically says "No, I don't care if I choose my seat" and you can progress through. They try to upsell you on like five different web pages before you confirm your flight haha

Reactions: PrincessButterCup

britzen

VMCVM
Sep 28, 2017
Status
Veterinary Student
I did that once on Spirit Air (well DC to Chicago so not quite coast to coast) - cost me like something like 39 bucks total and it was glorious.

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
I'm at the age where I take a baby aspirin before flights (and road trips) because I'm paranoid about DVT/PE. Gorram leg room issues. I'm not even tall but still, KFC it gets worse every year.

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003