Dec 18, 2018
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Was gonna say, we get fools like this at work all the time and they really don't learn until they have to pay several times to get their animal back (plus current on rabies & microchipped).

You may also want to look into whether any roaming laws apply in your area @BH44 , they are slightly different from leash laws and dogs can get picked up for not being properly contained on a property (and therefore allowed to roam). The laws are likely much more forgiving of this type of behavior in rural areas, though (which it sounds like you are in). However, regulations about nuisance animals, animals that attack other animals, and (obviously) animals that attack people also exist, so keep that in mind as well. It might be helpful to contact animal control again and ask whether they have copies of relevant laws to share with you or suggestions about how to navigate this situation in an amenable way.

I will also caution you to keep a good eye on your dog around this neighbor - I have seen some situations like this escalate in unfortunate ways in the past because the neighbor feels it's their job to retaliate instead of managing their own dogs.
Thank you! Yes I am keeping a very close eye on my dog! The only place he is ever off leash is in our smaller fenced in back yard. Anywhere else he is on his long line or a leash and we are right there with him. Our dogs have never stepped foot on her property and I plan on keeping it that way. So hopefully she won't feel the need to do anything.

killerleaf

beware, beyond there be dragons
10+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2006
dazed and confused
Status
Academic Administration
I have lived in a rural area a long time. There are no laws regarding dogs "trespassing" in our area. Only if they bite or damage someone/something. Most of the time, we manage to work things out, and people are apologetic that their dog got out. However, I do know of a case where someone ran a hotline right on their property line. It was only one long enough for the dog to get "stung" once. then they turned it off, but left the wire and posts. dog never came back on their property. :) :)

Reactions: BH44
Dec 18, 2018
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I have lived in a rural area a long time. There are no laws regarding dogs "trespassing" in our area. Only if they bite or damage someone/something. Most of the time, we manage to work things out, and people are apologetic that their dog got out. However, I do know of a case where someone ran a hotline right on their property line. It was only one long enough for the dog to get "stung" once. then they turned it off, but left the wire and posts. dog never came back on their property. :) :)
That's definitely something we are considering too!

pinkpuppy9

Illinois c/o 2019
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
Been working as a doctor (intern currently on overnight ER) for just two weeks and I already have a client wanting to sue me. Claims I missed that his pup (3 days post spay) had a hernia, but rads reviewed by a boarded radiologist (with a report) show intact body wall at the time of her visit with me. Guy just didn't keep his pup confined as I recommended. He wanted to blame the vet that did the spay as the reason for her infected incision, so I think he's just the type looking to blame others. Still stressful, and honestly a bit devastating, to have an owner state he will sue you unless he gets a full refund. The good thing about corporate medicine is that you have a large management and legal team that deals with this stuff for you, so hopefully I won't even have to see this owner again.

Also lost my first patient the other night. Nice owner just trying to get more time with his dog. Older dog presented with tricav effusion, owner wanted 7th palliative chest tap. Told owner dog is in a-fib, I feel this will go poorly and dog may die, had QOL talk and rec. euthanasia as an option. Dog didn't make it past the sedation. Owner was a very nice guy and handled it all very well but was shocked, like I didn't just tell him that I felt strongly that his dog wouldn't survive the procedure.

Idk. Having some second thoughts about being a doctor right now. Can I survive a career of sue-happy owners and other crappy situations?

genny

Just bite them.
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
Idk. Having some second thoughts about being a doctor right now. Can I survive a career of sue-happy owners and other crappy situations?
Angry clients happen. Sometimes for no reason, sometimes because they didn't follow instructions, and sometimes it actually is your fault. Regardless of the reason, you can't carry their anger with you or you'll burn out. What helps me is my happy file: a stash of notes and reviews from people that I helped who were happy with the outcome. It really helps me refocus on why I like being a doctor. There's one from a crazy cat lady who compared my level of care with that of one of my colleagues who has been practicing for 30+ years that I really look up to. That one I keep pinned to my bulletin board so I can read it whenever I lose confidence in myself. Life is always going to look crappy if you dwell on the negative, and I feel like veterinarians and veterinary students are predisposed to do that so we don't repeat the same mistakes. But you also have to pat yourself on the back for the good stuff too, and remember all the things you did right.

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Staff member
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2012
Status
Veterinarian
Angry clients happen. Sometimes for no reason, sometimes because they didn't follow instructions, and sometimes it actually is your fault. Regardless of the reason, you can't carry their anger with you or you'll burn out. What helps me is my happy file: a stash of notes and reviews from people that I helped who were happy with the outcome. It really helps me refocus on why I like being a doctor. There's one from a crazy cat lady who compared my level of care with that of one of my colleagues who has been practicing for 30+ years that I really look up to. That one I keep pinned to my bulletin board so I can read it whenever I lose confidence in myself. Life is always going to look crappy if you dwell on the negative, and I feel like veterinarians and veterinary students are predisposed to do that so we don't repeat the same mistakes. But you also have to pat yourself on the back for the good stuff too, and remember all the things you did right.
I was talking with an SNDer the other day about having a dream the night before about a client not necessarily being happy that I was a new grad, and low and behold, the next day it was a thing. I hope at the end they felt good about my quality of service, but otherwise, I did all I can and it is ultimately not my concern if they were not satisfied just due to my time at the practice.

• Love
Reactions: Coopah and genny

altadama

2+ Year Member
May 12, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Been working as a doctor (intern currently on overnight ER) for just two weeks and I already have a client wanting to sue me. Claims I missed that his pup (3 days post spay) had a hernia, but rads reviewed by a boarded radiologist (with a report) show intact body wall at the time of her visit with me. Guy just didn't keep his pup confined as I recommended. He wanted to blame the vet that did the spay as the reason for her infected incision, so I think he's just the type looking to blame others. Still stressful, and honestly a bit devastating, to have an owner state he will sue you unless he gets a full refund. The good thing about corporate medicine is that you have a large management and legal team that deals with this stuff for you, so hopefully I won't even have to see this owner again.

Also lost my first patient the other night. Nice owner just trying to get more time with his dog. Older dog presented with tricav effusion, owner wanted 7th palliative chest tap. Told owner dog is in a-fib, I feel this will go poorly and dog may die, had QOL talk and rec. euthanasia as an option. Dog didn't make it past the sedation. Owner was a very nice guy and handled it all very well but was shocked, like I didn't just tell him that I felt strongly that his dog wouldn't survive the procedure.

Not a vet yet...just a vet student. But I just want to second this. I have a box (I started it for many ago, way back when I was in high school) where I keep a random stuff from various clubs, hobbies, jobs etc. that are reminders of things that I did right, things that make me happy, or things that remind me why I'm putting myself through all this. It always helpful for me to look through it during the really hard times and helps me stay grounded. Also...when I was working as a vet tech and someone was having a really hard time with a client we'd always tell each other "its not you, its just the situation". Sometimes clients are in an emotional place and lash out and you just have to remember...its not about you and you really did do everything you could.

StayingPositive2017

Michigan State CVM c/o 2022
Aug 2, 2017
Woof Chat
Status
Veterinary Student
Not a vet yet...just a vet student. But I just want to second this. I have a box (I started it for many ago, way back when I was in high school) where I keep a random stuff from various clubs, hobbies, jobs etc. that are reminders of things that I did right, things that make me happy, or things that remind me why I'm putting myself through all this. It always helpful for me to look through it during the really hard times and helps me stay grounded. Also...when I was working as a vet tech and someone was having a really hard time with a client we'd always tell each other "its not you, its just the situation". Sometimes clients are in an emotional place and lash out and you just have to remember...its not about you and you really did do everything you could.
10/10

vetmedhead

I hope my heart goes first!
2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
in bed
Status
Veterinary Student
I used to keep a Feel Better Jar. Each day I would write a good thing that happened to me and stick it in there. Also put in stuff like concert tickets, nice notes, etc. It was great to go through when I felt bad, especially when I had kept it for more than a year. I eventually stopped adding things to the one I had because it got too full, but I never started another one after that. Maybe I should

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
I used to keep a Feel Better Jar. Each day I would write a good thing that happened to me and stick it in there. Also put in stuff like concert tickets, nice notes, etc. It was great to go through when I felt bad, especially when I had kept it for more than a year. I eventually stopped adding things to the one I had because it got too full, but I never started another one after that. Maybe I should
Yeah, I also had something like this for a couple years. I would put good things that happened that year and then read them all on New Year’s Eve. (Also if I needed a pick me up throughout the year)

Reactions: Doctor-S and genny

vetmedhead

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
in bed
Status
Veterinary Student
Yeah, I also had something like this for a couple years. I would put good things that happened that year and then read them all on New Year’s Eve. (Also if I needed a pick me up throughout the year)
I may have started mine as a New Year's Resolution of some sort :thinking:

My current NYR was to read more this year. I think I'm on book 30 or so thus far

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
I may have started mine as a New Year's Resolution of some sort :thinking:

My current NYR was to read more this year. I think I'm on book 30 or so thus far
That’s awesome!!!! I really need to read more this summer while I have time :laugh:

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
I never learned how to read :1cry:

But fr it's all textbooks and study guides. I really miss reading for fun.

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student

Just know that most people who threaten to sue to get out of payment do not have the funds to actually sue you. Don’t worry about it until it actually happens, and even then if things are well documented, it shouldn’t matter. Plus, so ****ing what if you missed the hernia at the time of the exam!? Maybe it was there (I don’t think a radiologist can say it definitively wasn’t there unless it was huge), and it was reducible and not obviously palpable through the incisional infection. That has no bearing on what happens/happened to the pet unless organs were herniated and strangulated and you missed it and the pet had adverse outcome because of it. That’s the only thing he could sue you for. You weren’t the one that caused it either unless you surgerIzed the pup. People can’t sue you just because you missed something on exam unless that led to an adverse outcome.

Anytime an owner says something along the lines of how they would come after me if something goes wrong, I tell them to piss off and go elsewhere and will refuse to do any procedures on their pet.

WildZoo

Illegal in all 50, Unlynchable Wolf
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2013
The doll factory
Status
Veterinary Student
Can I pen a strongly worded letter to SDN for this "Guide to Pets" article that mentions keeping goldfish in a bowl? :mad:

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Staff member
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2012
Status
Veterinarian
Can I pen a strongly worded letter to SDN for this "Guide to Pets" article that mentions keeping goldfish in a bowl? :mad:
Interesting....

I am all for someone presenting the veterinary side of pet ownership for the medical student/intern. We need more pieces from the vet community. I am hoping to eventually represent our community once I get my feet under me...

WildZoo

Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2013
The doll factory
Status
Veterinary Student
Also mentioned reptiles being "low maintenance" and while I get that they meant in terms of time spent interacting (as compared to a dog for instance) I would not, in general, call a reptile a low maintenance pet, and them being portrayed as such is one of my big pet peeves.

Anyway I'd write an article myself if I had time :p

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Staff member
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2012
Status
Veterinarian
Also mentioned reptiles being "low maintenance" and while I get that they meant in terms of time spent interacting (as compared to a dog for instance) I would not, in general, call a reptile a low maintenance pet, and them being portrayed as such is one of my big pet peeves.

Anyway I'd write an article myself if I had time :p
I would deem reptiles one of the most needy for sure in terms of husbandry. Especially as many as I see that I can no longer help because of said keeping. harrumph

Elkhart

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2015
Kansas City
I think, in general, my mood is doing better now than it has been for the past year or so (though, knowing how my general mental health goes, it probably won't last for long). But then I still have days like today where I look at and hear about all of the things my vet school classmates and others are doing and I just feel like such a ****ing dumb*** loser by comparison. I'd planned to do the ASPCA Spay/Neuter Alliance externship along with my two best vet school friends, and we were able to schedule and coordinate it in such a way that we would be able to attend during the same block. They were recently in NC at the externship, and a bunch of photos were posted on Facebook of them and a new third friend from the class where they look like they're having an absolute blast together. I know I shouldn't let it get to me at this point (it's been almost two freaking years now), but it actually really stung to see.

I wish I wasn't a terrible person and that I could just be happy for them without feeling so hurt about it.

Caiter92

Definitely not a cucumber with anxiety
2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
I think, in general, my mood is doing better than it has been for the past year or so. But then I still have days like today where I look at and hear about all of the things my vet school classmates and others are doing and I just feel like such a ****ing dumb*** loser by comparison. I'd planned to do the ASPCA Spay/Neuter Alliance externship along with my two best vet school friends, and we were able to schedule and coordinate it in such a way that we would be able to attend during the same block. They're in NC at the externship right now, and a bunch of photos were posted on Facebook of them and a new third friend from the class where they look like they're having an absolute blast together. I know I shouldn't let it get to me at this point (it's been almost two years now), but it actually really stung to see.
Hun, you need to be gentle to yourself. You’re not dumb. You’re not a loser. I know how hard it is, but you need to tell those thoughts to **** off when they happen. They’re not true. **** happens and it sucks, and I’m so sorry you’re still struggling with this, I can’t imagine how hard it is. But mistakes don’t define you.

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Staff member
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2012
Status
Veterinarian
As much as this may sound weird, have you considered unfollowing for a while? It doesn't have to be permanent, but it would be like taking a break from something that is becoming consuming in your life. There is definitely nothing wrong with it in my opinion. I mean, I gave up WW because I have no self control when I play and needed to focus on the next chapter of my life. haha

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
As much as this may sound weird, have you considered unfollowing for a while? It doesn't have to be permanent, but it would be like taking a break from something that is becoming consuming in your life. There is definitely nothing wrong with it in my opinion. I mean, I gave up WW because I have no self control when I play and needed to focus on the next chapter of my life. haha
Seconded. Sometimes the best way to be okay with those things is to stop seeing them altogether for a while. You don’t need to unfriending these people on Facebook. Just unfollow. Or even take a short hiatus from social media (excluding SDN since it seems like this is a great stress reliever for you). It’s gives you a chance to fully heal before seeing those things again.

Trilt

puppy snuggler extraordinaire
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
Woaaah there. Can we now not bump old threads at all?

I tried to complain about the avatar editing on new SDN on the hey guys... avatar change! thread and SDN just told me no.

Not, "are you sure you want to post in this old thread?" but "It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose" and wouldn't let me post. And that's some bull****.

Reactions: Coopah and WildZoo

vetmedhead

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
in bed
Status
Veterinary Student

I tried to complain about the avatar editing on new SDN on the hey guys... avatar change! thread and SDN just told me no.

Not, "are you sure you want to post in this old thread?" but "It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose" and wouldn't let me post. And that's some bull****.
I believe threads are closed now when they haven't been posted on for a year or more. There's been some ritualistic bumping in the lounge now because of it

Reactions: capri1722

Trilt

puppy snuggler extraordinaire
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
I believe threads are closed now when they haven't been posted on for a year or more. There's been some ritualistic bumping in the lounge now because of it
That is super duper obnoxious.

I understand a reminder and a "Are you SURE you want to post in this?" type heads up, but there are definitely legitimate reasons to post in older than a year threads when you have an established community...

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Staff member
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2012
Status
Veterinarian
I think the allo side was a big reason. They are why we can't have nice things. I'll see what I can do. haha

WildZoo

Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2013
The doll factory
Status
Veterinary Student
I think the allo side was a big reason. They are why we can't have nice things. I'll see what I can do. haha
I love your avatar :love:

Reactions: Coopah

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Staff member
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2012
Status
Veterinarian
Reactions: WildZoo

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
I keep them in the top section of the toilet, not the bowl.

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
It's on the post-upgrade "to do list" that WildWing is keeping track of and said was forwarded to the 3rd party developer/admin person, but it's been a couple months without any tangible updates or communications. I hope some headway happens soon.

Reactions: SkiOtter

batsenecal

U of I c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Perpetual state of disarray
Status
Veterinary Student
Interesting....

I am all for someone presenting the veterinary side of pet ownership for the medical student/intern. We need more pieces from the vet community. I am hoping to eventually represent our community once I get my feet under me...
Yes, please do.
I'd happily help with that.
My biggest problem with the article is that one little line they slip in under the financial situation that mentions "veterinarian bills if your pet gets sick". Um, no. Your pet should see a veterinarian at least annually, not just when they get sick.
Attached is the quick "vet med" version I spent the last hour or so typing up. It's a down and dirty rough draft with absolutely no editing as I finished it 2.5 minutes ago. I have no references as I was taking a lot of the info from what I remembered from my electives/clinical rotations. So if you have a viable source to add, please add!!! :D Please rip it to shreds if it needs it. lol

Attachments

vetmedhead

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
in bed
Status
Veterinary Student
I used to do a presentation on this topic for my residents when I was an RA

batsenecal

U of I c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Perpetual state of disarray
Status
Veterinary Student
I used to do a presentation on this topic for my residents when I was an RA
Same. When I was an RD, a girl was dumb enough to snap chat that she snuck a cat into the dorms. Someone ratted her out and I got to interrupt some *interpersonal physical activity* between her and her boyfriend to tell her to get rid of the cat.

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
Attached is the quick "vet med" version I spent the last hour or so typing up. It's a down and dirty rough draft with absolutely no editing as I finished it 2.5 minutes ago. I have no references as I was taking a lot of the info from what I remembered from my electives/clinical rotations. So if you have a viable source to add, please add!!! :D Please rip it to shreds if it needs it. lol
Maybe add in a tidbit in the "exotic" pet sections that if someone is considering adopting one of these species it is recommended they seek/search for a vet prior to getting said species. Since it can be harder to find a vet that will see "exotics" it is a good recommendation that someone considering owning one of these species know where their veterinary option(s) is(are). This will allow them to see if they can realistically own an exotic pet as if their closest vet is too far away for them to be willing to drive to for regular exams or even at the first sign the pet is sick, then an exotic pet isn't a good fit for them. :)

Last edited:

WildZoo

Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2013
The doll factory
Status
Veterinary Student
Round of applause, I love it
Maybe add in a tidbit in the "exotic" pet sections that if someone is considering adopting one of these species it is recommended they seek/search for a vet prior to getting said species. Since it can be harder to find a vet that will see "exotics" it is a good recommendation that someone considering owning one of these species know where their veterinary option(s) is(are). This will allow them to see if they can realistically own an exotic pet as if their closest vet is too far away for them to be willing to drive to for regular exams or even at the first sign the pet is sick, then an exotic pet isn't a good fit for them. :)
So much this. We see so many exotics emergencies from people that had traveled 3+ hours because they didn't realize there was no exotics vet in their area and so wait until the animal is basically dead to get it seen.

Polocrosse2017

2+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I have to rant!

I have had a great summer job for two years with an equine vet. We got along great and he paid very well. I had two options for the summer and spoke to him. He said I'd be making the same amount and he wanted to teach me even more this summer. I turned down the other job. Went on first trip with him and everything was great. Went on a second trip and fine. Then he paid me, less than agreed on. I thought it was a mistake so I mentioned it, very diplomatically. He got mad (just showed on his face) and handed me another $100. I said thank you and moved on. Well I had a 4 day weekend and texted when I got back to find out what he wanted next. Just like he wanted me to do. No answer. Asked again. Nothing for two weeks. I finally gave up left home and went back to campus to try and find a job for the rest of the summer. He finally texts and says I had priced myself out of the job! What? All he needed to say is that he was paying less this summer and why. If he had discussed it with me all would have been fine, I wouldn't have been thrilled but would have taken the lower salary at that point. I learned that I have to get my salary in writing! This guy didn't do that.

Now I'm stuck with no job for the rest of the summer. All the campus jobs taken and I'm annoyed even though I know it was partially my fault. Oh well. I have one meeting today with a department head but I don't think he has anything. Then I'm going to go try to get a generic job somewhere around town til school starts. I'll just study for the GRE and my on-line english class.

And in the same week my new Macbook pro fell out of my car into a puddle and has to be replaced, AND my bank account got hacked and they can only send the card back to my parent's house. Thank you for letting me vent!

mmmdreamerz

c/o 2021
2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2014
Status
Veterinary Student
I have to rant!

I have had a great summer job for two years with an equine vet. We got along great and he paid very well. I had two options for the summer and spoke to him. He said I'd be making the same amount and he wanted to teach me even more this summer. I turned down the other job. Went on first trip with him and everything was great. Went on a second trip and fine. Then he paid me, less than agreed on. I thought it was a mistake so I mentioned it, very diplomatically. He got mad (just showed on his face) and handed me another $100. I said thank you and moved on. Well I had a 4 day weekend and texted when I got back to find out what he wanted next. Just like he wanted me to do. No answer. Asked again. Nothing for two weeks. I finally gave up left home and went back to campus to try and find a job for the rest of the summer. He finally texts and says I had priced myself out of the job! What? All he needed to say is that he was paying less this summer and why. If he had discussed it with me all would have been fine, I wouldn't have been thrilled but would have taken the lower salary at that point. I learned that I have to get my salary in writing! This guy didn't do that.

Now I'm stuck with no job for the rest of the summer. All the campus jobs taken and I'm annoyed even though I know it was partially my fault. Oh well. I have one meeting today with a department head but I don't think he has anything. Then I'm going to go try to get a generic job somewhere around town til school starts. I'll just study for the GRE and my on-line english class.

And in the same week my new Macbook pro fell out of my car into a puddle and has to be replaced, AND my bank account got hacked and they can only send the card back to my parent's house. Thank you for letting me vent!
I’m really sorry! That really sucks...

capri1722

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pharmacy Student
Today was just a really bad day at work playing catch up for a pharmacist who is still learning, and arguing with an insurance company who told me two different contradictory things depending on who I spoke to (I've never considered myself someone who would go off on overworked call center workers until today).