RTC19

5+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2014
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
Prepare for a Karen Rant:
So I’m in desperate need of Jean shorts. Went to Old Navy online because they had this huge sale. Picked out 2 pairs that I really liked, found 2 tops, and a 3rd pair of shorts that I also liked. Then I find out right as I’m about to check out that the the first two pairs of shorts had disappeared from my cart. They had run out of stock in my size without giving me any sort of warning! I’m so upset! I loved those shorts and they were really cheap because they were on sale (less than $15 a pair!!!) I settled on some other shorts. Basically I’m a little peeved with Old Navy for taking the shorts out of my cart before I was done. Okay I feel better now
Not a Karen rant! It's okay! :)

This has happened to me before, especially with things that are a really good deal. I think it may have actually been Gap or Old Navy, but that doesn't say much with me because I buy pretty much all of my clothes at those two places!

alissa14

wash your damn hands
Nov 5, 2019
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Not a Karen rant! It's okay! :)

This has happened to me before, especially with things that are a really good deal. I think it may have actually been Gap or Old Navy, but that doesn't say much with me because I buy pretty much all of my clothes at one of those two places!
I LOVE a good deal. I also did some online shopping at kohl’s and it was a better deal than old navy! It was also super disheartening because I haven’t shopped at old navy since I was a kid and I was interested in trying it again because I had heard of the great sale. It just sucks that my first time back was somewhat negative

Reactions: RTC19

capri1722

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pharmacy Student
Prepare for a Karen Rant:
So I’m in desperate need of Jean shorts. Went to Old Navy online because they had this huge sale. Picked out 2 pairs that I really liked, found 2 tops, and a 3rd pair of shorts that I also liked. Then I find out right as I’m about to check out that the the first two pairs of shorts had disappeared from my cart. They had run out of stock in my size without giving me any sort of warning! I’m so upset! I loved those shorts and they were really cheap because they were on sale (less than $15 a pair!!!) I settled on some other shorts. Basically I’m a little peeved with Old Navy for taking the shorts out of my cart before I was done. Okay I feel better now
Agree with RTC. I think it's only a Karen rant if you saw the shorts with the sale, liked it, then only decided to purchase like a week or a month later, only to be surprisedpikachu.jpg that they were sold out and/or no longer had the sale. Totally normal to be upset about missing out by that much.

About the Ads

RTC19

5+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2014
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
I LOVE a good deal. I also did some online shopping at kohl’s and it was a better deal than old navy! It was also super disheartening because I haven’t shopped at old navy since I was a kid and I was interested in trying it again because I had heard of the great sale. It just sucks that my first time back was somewhat negative
I LOVE Kohl's. In fact, part of how I got to have way too many clothes comes from the fact that I used to work customer service there and would occasionally float to the regular registers up front. I wasn't kidding when I would tell customers, "These are so cute and such a good deal! I am going to go see if they have these in my size after my shift" and then buy 5 $1.99 camisoles (real example). :p It's good that I didn't work POS (Point of Sale) more often!

alissa14

wash your damn hands
Nov 5, 2019
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I like the feeling that I’m “robbing” Kohl’s. You know, when your savings are greater than you actually paid! They had 20% off then additional 20% off and I had a $25 gift card. I got 3 tops, two pairs of shorts, and a 2 pack of bras for less than $60. I was quite pleased

• Love
Reactions: capri1722 and RTC19

awesomenessity

UCVM 2020
2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta
Status
Veterinary Student
A minor(?) stress in my life right now: So when I applied to my residency somehow some wires got crossed somewhere and they thought that I have my BSc, when I actually only completed 3 years of it before getting into vet school. But, my university offers a back transfer program for vet school credits to complete my BSc, so technically I *can* get my BSc before I start my program. I clarified the misunderstanding with the program advisor once I realize the issue and mentioned that I could get my BSc this year. So I had the uni submit my transcript to my BSc school on June 9th, as well as a copy to my residency program. It is now the 23rd and neither school has received my transcript... WHERE ARE MY GRADES??? My anxiety brain is lowkey freaking out about like "what if you can't get your BSc finalized and the transcript submitted before you start" "what if they kick you out of your program" "also you just bought an acreage so have a hearty dose of anxiety from that too" send help ya'll :laugh:

WildZoo

Illegal in all 50, Unlynchable Wolf
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2013
The doll factory
Status
Veterinarian
A minor(?) stress in my life right now: So when I applied to my residency somehow some wires got crossed somewhere and they thought that I have my BSc, when I actually only completed 3 years of it before getting into vet school. But, my university offers a back transfer program for vet school credits to complete my BSc, so technically I *can* get my BSc before I start my program. I clarified the misunderstanding with the program advisor once I realize the issue and mentioned that I could get my BSc this year. So I had the uni submit my transcript to my BSc school on June 9th, as well as a copy to my residency program. It is now the 23rd and neither school has received my transcript... WHERE ARE MY GRADES??? My anxiety brain is lowkey freaking out about like "what if you can't get your BSc finalized and the transcript submitted before you start" "what if they kick you out of your program" "also you just bought an acreage so have a hearty dose of anxiety from that too" send help ya'll :laugh:
I guess transcripts getting lost is not just a US problem :thinking: two of my friends had this same issue when they sent their transcripts to state agencies for licensure. They eventually showed up. Seems absurd when it was all electronic...hopefully it all gets worked out soon!

Reactions: Doctor-S and RTC19

awesomenessity

UCVM 2020
2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta
Status
Veterinary Student
I guess transcripts getting lost is not just a US problem :thinking: two of my friends had this same issue when they sent their transcripts to state agencies for licensure. They eventually showed up. Seems absurd when it was all electronic...hopefully it all gets worked out soon!
Yeah I really don't understand why they can't just email the transcripts lol. Clearly too complex of a technology for 2020 :rolleyes:

MixedAnimals77

Trash Panda C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2016
with the livestock
Status
Veterinary Student
So I got the reroof permit and did my roof last month. Asked for an inspection over a month ago. Got told today after me contacting them again they can't approve my roof because they don't have underlayment documentation. Who's fault should that be? me thinks not mine considering I asked for an inspection over a month ago and they NEVER got back to me. It's only rained a dozen times and have wind gusts over 20+mph:mad::mad::mad:

I'm consulting the gods who know more than me to figure out if there's anything I can do besides redo my roof again.

alissa14

wash your damn hands
Nov 5, 2019
Status
Pre-Veterinary
UPDATE: so the shorts that were unfairly taken from my cart last night are somehow magically in stock today?!?! So I guess I’ll just wait until I can redeem my rewards cash and buy them then. I was quite peeved

itsrocky

Ain’t nothing gonna break my stride!
Nov 17, 2018
I’m in a rare mood today. I’m probably more irritated than I should be but oh well. We have a new staff member that even though we have talked to them about it and I always tell them word for word medication instructions to tell the owner, still often times just hands off the meds and doesn’t say anything and takes payment and is done. I tried to be understanding but it’s very frustrating when you sent home a patient with antibiotics but they did not know how to store it properly and didn’t do it right and now the patient is more sick and it’s me who has to deal with the fallout from that. I get labels exist and I had all the required info on it, but communication is so very important especially when communication is limited face to face. I most always go out there and just talk to them myself but it’s unreasonable to expect me to do that every single time and be pretty much the only person who exposes myself to the 99.9% of the public around here who isn’t wearing masks. Plus that’s a huge drain on my time. And it’s hot af outside.

Also getting pressured to not charge family members properly and getting shamed for not giving them discounts for the hell of it. You don’t get a discount from me if you don’t make an effort to talk to me more than twice a year, imo. Actually even then, you probably won’t.

WildZoo

Illegal in all 50, Unlynchable Wolf
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2013
The doll factory
Status
Veterinarian
Liked for solidarity @itsrocky. Sorry you have to deal with these frustrations :(

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
I’m in a rare mood today. I’m probably more irritated than I should be but oh well. We have a new staff member that even though we have talked to them about it and I always tell them word for word medication instructions to tell the owner, still often times just hands off the meds and doesn’t say anything and takes payment and is done. I tried to be understanding but it’s very frustrating when you sent home a patient with antibiotics but they did not know how to store it properly and didn’t do it right and now the patient is more sick and it’s me who has to deal with the fallout from that. I get labels exist and I had all the required info on it, but communication is so very important especially when communication is limited face to face. I most always go out there and just talk to them myself but it’s unreasonable to expect me to do that every single time and be pretty much the only person who exposes myself to the 99.9% of the public around here who isn’t wearing masks. Plus that’s a huge drain on my time. And it’s hot af outside.
Oh you’ve got to nip that in the bud. If you keep compensating for insubordination by doing things for yourself, then I can guarantee that you will build major resentment and bigger issues will develop and you will start looking for a new job when the novelty of this job wears off. If that employee has been told explicitly to go over instructions with the owner, decided not to abide by that, and bad things happened as a result, that needs to be documented and they need to be written up. Did you bring it up to management and/or DVM in charge? They need to get that employees side of the story and either write them up for not doing their job, or if they assert that they did, they need to be told that that’s not what the client said and dr. Itsrocky and whoever else has noticed that they continue to neglect this aspect of their job, so moving forward they’re on a short leash and will be formally written up if further issues arise.

Also, if it’s that the employee feels uncomfortable talking at the car, they should be given the option of calling the owner on the phone to give discharge instructions. So when you are done talking to the client, you can just say “I’m going to put you on hold so that a staff member can go over instructions with you before they bring fluffy out to you” type of thing. That way you can listen in too...

About the Ads

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
Also getting pressured to not charge family members properly and getting shamed for not giving them discounts for the hell of it. You don’t get a discount from me if you don’t make an effort to talk to me more than twice a year, imo. Actually even then, you probably won’t.
Whenever anyone asks me about free or cheap vet care I ask them how much they’re contributing to my student loans

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
I can count on one hand the number of times I treated family member pets. I now don't have to worry about it, but I did finally get my mom to understand that I really am not comfortable being her pet's vet. I don't mind listening and explaining what her vet tells her, but I don't want to be responsible, because if something happens, I don't want that strain to be there.

Not a worry for me anymore, but yeah, I finally put my foot down and said I won't treat family member pets.

kcoughli

Lab Animal Resident
7+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2013
Chicago, IL
Status
Veterinarian
Backstory: Husband owned house in Minneapolis that we lived in together last 2 years of vet school. When we moved to Chicago for my residency we rented the house to his brother and some of his brother's friends. June 2019 (~1 year ago) the neighbor's garage caught fire and it spread to our house and basically totaled the house (all the humans and pets living there were fine, save a few fish that perished in the days to come with no electricity). Within a week we had a contractor hired to do the rebuild. For the past year it has been like pulling teeth trying to get this damn house rebuilt with this contractor. We're in Chicago so just too easy for him to ignore us and work on other projects. We weren't in a huge rush because we didn't exactly need the house. Until we decided in March that we were going to move back to Minneapolis no matter what (I was job hunting but challenging during pandemic, but we decided we wanted to prioritize moving back closer to family). Lit a fire under their butts sort of and they finally got working on the house. Then I actually got a job offer in the area! And we put our Chicago house on the market and had an offer in 3 days! And then we got our closing date and it was 10 days before I started at my new job! Everything was coming up roses and the contractor was pretty sure they could be finishing up around when we wanted to move (July 15).

Now: Contractor just texted my husband to say the cabinets aren't going to be delivered until July 15th and we should not expect to be able to move in until mid-August. I'm so so upset right now.

Last edited:

alissa14

wash your damn hands
Nov 5, 2019
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I totally understand the whole “no discounts for family.” I’m quite nervous myself when I will be a vet what to do with my family. I feel like there will definitely be an expectation from certain families for me to give them free or discounted care.

vetmedhead

Hang onto me and we'll quarantine the gloom
2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
in bed
Status
Veterinary Student

Special friends and family rate! Pay me 150% what I usually charge because you love and support me.

vetmedhead

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
in bed
Status
Veterinary Student
The most I've agreed to do with my parents once I graduate is buy them prescription foods/flea meds/etc prescribed by someone else at cost and have them pay me for it

finnickthedog

Michigan State c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2014
snuggling with vmh
Status
Veterinary Student
My mom seems to think I can give her chickens free veterinary care when I graduate and I'm just... no. The free thing aside, I do not treat chickens. What even is a chicken? :laugh:

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
I totally understand the whole “no discounts for family.” I’m quite nervous myself when I will be a vet what to do with my family. I feel like there will definitely be an expectation from certain families for me to give them free or discounted care.
Ask them how much they’re going to be contributing to your student loans. Gets them to shut their mouth real fast.

Another option is moving far enough away where it’d be a pain to take them for vet care but you can still visit easily?

vetmedhead

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
in bed
Status
Veterinary Student
Ask them how much they’re going to be contributing to your student loans. Gets them to shut their mouth real fast.

Another option is moving far enough away where it’d be a pain to take them for vet care but you can still visit easily?
My plan for my dad's side of the family is to never ever be licensed in MO :shrug:

vetmedhead

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
in bed
Status
Veterinary Student
My mom seems to think I can give her chickens free veterinary care when I graduate and I'm just... no. The free thing aside, I do not treat chickens. What even is a chicken? :laugh:
I love chickens, but almost all of my knowledge about them is public health related... so I can help people depopulate their chickens and/or not get salmonella from them, but not much else

About the Ads

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian

I just took the don't work in clinical medicine option. :laugh:

alissa14

wash your damn hands
Nov 5, 2019
Status
Pre-Veterinary

This is my ultimate goal! I plan to be about an hour and a half. Close enough I can visit when I want but far enough away it’s inconvenient for them to just drop by;)

JaynaAli

Need it STAT or want it STAT? They're different.
7+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
My uncle raises quail, and several years ago he had a die off. He asked me what I thought it might be. I was like, I don’t do birds and even if I did, my vet school bird knowledge is like, chickens and parrots not quail. The local vet he took one to did a necropsy and found lungworms, so he hasn’t had problems since.

What I’ve found is that I am usually the one who ends up taking my family’s animals to the vet. I made the appointment and took my sister’s dogs (that she let roam around because they live in the country) to get spayed when I was home on vacation once. My parents don’t notice the engorged anal sacs or overgrown nails on their dog until I do, so I take the dog in. I buy the heartworm preventative and they do give it. I take my grandmas cat for vaccines because she’s 82 and can’t manage to walk in her own with a carrier. More distant family will call and ask advice on occasion, but a “yeah, better see the vet” to cousins and similar relatives usually works. It’s harder for my sister, brother in law, and parents but they know I am for vague advice only. My grandparents had a dog with chronic health issues they’d always recap and opine about how the treatments aren’t working when I came home. I would point out they’ve been offered referral to figure out the underlying cause but it’s gonna cost money for diagnostics (which they don’t want to pay for) and they stop talking about it for a day or two. It’s the fb posts on my mom’s page asking for my number or asking her to contact me that give me dread. They’ve all been lectured about giving my number out to people and how they have to ask first but the answer is usually no.

LyraGardenia

Kansas State c/o 2020
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2013
The Little Apple
Status
Veterinarian
I'm 5 hours away from most of my family, but if they did ever try to come here and ask for discounts, there's a clause in my contract that I'm not allowed to change prices without permission from management. Might be a good excuse if anyone needs it, hopefully "I could get fired" would shut people up. ;)

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
I'm 5 hours away from most of my family, but if they did ever try to come here and ask for discounts, there's a clause in my contract that I'm not allowed to change prices without permission from management. Might be a good excuse if anyone needs it, hopefully "I could get fired" would shut people up. ;)
Most employers won’t allow for you to do family discounts anyway. Typically staff pets only, and unless you’re the practice owner you can’t extend that discount to friends and family. Even for your own pets, many employers abide by the IRS regulation that only allows a 20% discount without it becoming a gift that the employer gets taxed on. Most clinics mark up diagnostics/drugs by at least two times, so unless you were at at least 50% discount (and often times a lot more) you’re not even at cost.

Thankfully for pets belonging to vets at least the lab diagnostics are often free through antech/idexx, but that again wouldn’t extend to family.

LyraGardenia

Kansas State c/o 2020
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2013
The Little Apple
Status
Veterinarian
Most employers won’t allow for you to do family discounts anyway. Typically staff pets only, and unless you’re the practice owner you can’t extend that discount to friends and family. Even for your own pets, many employers abide by the IRS regulation that only allows a 20% discount without it becoming a gift that the employer gets taxed on. Most clinics mark up diagnostics/drugs by at least two times, so unless you were at at least 50% discount (and often times a lot more) you’re not even at cost.

Thankfully for pets belonging to vets at least the lab diagnostics are often free through antech/idexx, but that again wouldn’t extend to family.
Yeah, even if I wanted to provide discounts for family I'd never dare to ask my boss to allow it.

Reactions: batsenecal

alygar

pennvet c/o 2024
Jan 2, 2020
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I am STRESSED. I am starting school in the fall and have been working for a pharmaceutical company in the meantime. They were making long term plans and obviously I know I’m leaving, so yesterday I told them my vet school plans and gave a mid-August end date. They were super nice about it, except they told me June 30th will be my last day instead. Now I suddenly will be jobless Tuesday and that means missing out on a whole 5 months of rent I would’ve had if I hadn’t been a considerate person and given them this advanced notice. Stressed since I won’t have that significant portion of rent, stressed I made the wrong decision, all around RIP

sheltermed

omg idk
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2013
Status
Veterinary Student
@alygar that's terrible! I'm in the same boat (also working in pharmaceuticals & starting this fall :) ) and I let them know all the way back in April that I was accepted and they were super open to whatever end date I wanted - I waited til earlier this month to give them a definite one. I'm sorry they're not being flexible - any chance they will reconsider your end date? wishing you the best!

About the Ads

alygar

pennvet c/o 2024
Jan 2, 2020
Status
Pre-Veterinary
@alygar that's terrible! I'm in the same boat (also working in pharmaceuticals & starting this fall :) ) and I let them know all the way back in April that I was accepted and they were super open to whatever end date I wanted - I waited til earlier this month to give them a definite one. I'm sorry they're not being flexible - any chance they will reconsider your end date? wishing you the best!
Oh that’s awesome! Sounds like they’re very understanding and helping make the transition stress free for you. I told my company I understood their decision to have me leave sooner than I intended and gave them a heads up that I would be applying for unemployment, and I actually got contacted by my boss today that they can offer me my July salary if I do a certain project for them. So I guess I’ve been rehired for a month! Feeling a bit yanked around though

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
I’m sorry @LetItSnow :(

@Minnerbelle your car always has anti-freeze in it regardless of the time of year.
Ohhh is that so? I’ve always wondered where the antifreeze came from. I’d imagined a bottle of it sitting somewhere.

(This lack of life knowledge is precisely why I blankly stare at clients who show me pictures of plants their pets ate before I blurt out that I’m not a botanist...)

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
Where are these dogs finding antifreeze at this time of year? Just randomly in the garage type of thing?
We've had a lot of antifreeze calls in the last couple months. No idea why.

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
Have a feeling it's because people are getting out more now that quarantines are being lifted
So I’m curious now, how exactly does this exposure to antifreeze happen? Does it regularly drip out of your car? Is it if you have an old/damage car something spills? Is it if you’re doing work on your car? It’s not the wiper fluid right - I thought a lot of those were pet/child safe nowadays?

This is why I only have cats, and they are only allowed in strictly controlled environments. Though the thought of children and being unable to control where they are/go terrify me.

Doggo Labs

c/o 2022!!
Feb 27, 2019
Status
Veterinary Student
So I’m curious now, how exactly does this exposure to antifreeze happen? Does it regularly drip out of your car? Is it if you have an old/damage car something spills? Is it if you’re doing work on your car? It’s not the wiper fluid right - I thought a lot of those were pet/child safe nowadays?
It can drip out of cars, it’s something quite a few people have on hand in the garage if they know a little bit about cars (I have some in my car truck cause somehow a month ago my levels were low, my dad a 50gal drum in the shop for our tractors) Defs not windshield wiper fluid. Antifreeze is either a greenish color or reddish purple color. And any little bit can cause toxicity in dogs. If you spill it, it should be cleaned up right away, but not everyone knows that/does that. The stuff you buy at the store, the lid is normally pet/child safe, but I think dogs can still rip into the bottle.

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
It can drip out of cars, it’s something quite a few people have on hand in the garage if they know a little bit about cars (I have some in my car truck cause somehow a month ago my levels were low, my dad a 50gal drum in the shop for our tractors) Defs not windshield wiper fluid. Antifreeze is either a greenish color or reddish purple color. And any little bit can cause toxicity in dogs. If you spill it, it should be cleaned up right away, but not everyone knows that/does that. The stuff you buy at the store, the lid is normally pet/child safe, but I think dogs can still rip into the bottle.
Is it noticeable when it drips out of your car?

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
Some windshield wiper fluid contains antifreeze. Others have propylene glycol. Definitely need to pay attention to that stuff too.

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
2+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Question. Does poison control have the ability to identify plants from pictures?
While you wait for an answer to that, I highly recommend trying google reverse image search. I’ve found that as long as the image is pretty good quality and you crop out other things, it’s really reliable in at least narrowing down what it is. You can do it directly from the google app by using google lens and uploading a pic from your gallery.

Reactions: RTC19

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
While you wait for an answer to that, I highly recommend trying google reverse image search. I’ve found that as long as the image is pretty good quality and you crop out other things, it’s really reliable in at least narrowing down what it is. You can do it directly from the google app by using google lens and uploading a pic from your gallery.
I have the clients do it if they want. No way in hell I want the liability of that.

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
I have the clients do it if they want. No way in hell I want the liability of that.
Yeah just have them call us, we can ID most plants, not mushrooms, but have resources for where most things can get ID'd if we can't.

Reactions: Minnerbelle
About the Ads