RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope you all don't mind if I add a rant here.

I work full time as a non-certified vet tech and I'm applying to vet schools currently. I love my job - my vets, my coworkers, the animals, what I get to do - but we have been absolutely slammed since Covid began.

My regular shift is 10 or 12 hours + cleaning/emergencies after we close. We have 2.5 vets, usually just one on hand at a time. No way around it - we are understaffed. We have hired two new techs/receptionists and taken back three of our techs/receptionists off of furlough since Covid started. It's still not enough.

I am fine with all of the above - I thrive in stress and I leave my shift feeling proud of myself for sticking with it all day. What gets me is my boss/head vet has started cracking down on us techs "slacking." For example, we are supposed to start the SOAPs in the computer for our vets before they type up the rest, and we haven't been doing that. Why? Because when we're two hours behind and I'm the only tech doing all appointments (scheduled and emergency and tech), it is more important to get the next patient than it is to stop everything to type notes that can be done later. Doing everything curbside makes everything harder too. I always write my notes on the patient's intake paper so it's not like the information disappears. The vets just don't want to start SOAPs (which is understandable, they're stressed too). I would type them all at the end of the day if the vets didn't scoop up the papers and bring them home. I tried explaining this all to my boss and she said "Well this wasn't a one-time occurrence, this has been going on for weeks, and it needs to stop." Yeah, because it's been hell since March! I'm lucky if I get five minutes of a lunch break in a 12+ hour shift! I've also been making overtime (called in on "bad days," and they're all bad days) almost every payment cycle, which is fine by me and my wallet, but goes to show I'm dropping everything for this job. Being the middle-man that gets perpetually yelled at by clients for the vets running late is not a walk in the park either.

I have tried suggesting to my boss multiple times that our techs and receptionists are getting burnt out and we really need more people (and probably another vet). She always scoffs and says "This is a temporary flux, it'll go back to normal soon and then I'd have to fire people if I hired more now." This has been getting progressively worse since March. All of these people are new, permanent clients being added to our system. This isn't just going to go away, especially when she does not turn away or refer any patient.

Again, I love everything else, but wow, getting repeatedly yelled at for "not doing enough" over something so trivial while working my butt off for 12+ hours at a time does not feel good.
That's messed up, I'm sorry that happened.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
The human healthcare system is so messed up sometimes. My mother had surgery and due to COVID, no visitors allowed. That's perfectly understandable. Except she had major abdominal surgery that was attempted laparoscopically and failed so they needed to revise with her open. Big surgery, lots of pain. Except after surgery there were no pain meds because it was prescribed "as needed". Which is sort of understandable with the opoid crisis but also my mother woke up from surgery (as far as she can remember) in blinding pain. And there were no pain meds because she had to specifically request them. So because she was unconscious, and there was no one to advocate for her when she was to groggy to do anything, she suffered immensely, and for what? She was hospitalized, this could have easily been avoided. To make matters worse they sent her home the next day. They originally suggested four days in the hospital and while I understand trying to limit her exposure (and I appreciate that), she could barely sit up. It doesn't make sense to me and I'm furious with the hospital.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Been really drained this week, sleeping a ton and last night felt a little chilly, so checked my temperature and it was in the 99 range (not normal for me like at all). Check again this morning while getting ready and it was 99.5. I’ve been told to stay home from work for today. I really hope it’s nothing. The only ER clinic in town had to shutter for 2 weeks due to exposure, and a lot of other local non vet businesses have been as well in my area. I’d really hate to be the reason we have to close. Sucks because I truly only go to work and come back home :bag:
Are you feeling better Rocky?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have tried suggesting to my boss multiple times that our techs and receptionists are getting burnt out and we really need more people (and probably another vet). She always scoffs and says "This is a temporary flux, it'll go back to normal soon and then I'd have to fire people if I hired more now." This has been getting progressively worse since March. All of these people are new, permanent clients being added to our system. This isn't just going to go away, especially when she does not turn away or refer any patient.
I don't really have advice (and I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for anyway), but I just want to say I feel you. I'm a FT VA in a 5-doc practice and when COVID hit here in early March everything went to chaos. We didn't furlough anyone but 2/3 of the staff elected to reduce their hours to decrease their exposure, leaving myself and 2-3 other techs covering all of the appointments. Honestly at this point, starting vet school in the fall is looking sweeter and sweeter (I'm sure I'll change my tune before the 1st set of exams...). I am so burnt out. We managed to hire 3 new people mid-pandemic. We've stopped taking new clients. We're still curbside-only and the clients are tired of it. I've spent more than my share of lunches crying in my car the last few months from terrible clients berating me when I'm at my wits-end and we're all just trying our #*$&ing best.

Maybe your boss would be willing to hire a college student for the summer just to take the load off? It's nice to have an extra set of hands even if they only ever restrain and do laundry. IMO if you're an hourly employee your obligation to stay late and write SOAPs ends when the clock strikes [insert time your shift ends here]. If it's impossible to get that done when you're on the clock the they either need to hire more workers or take fewer appointments. Period. I also used to be someone who would show up early and stay late but as this pandemic has grated down on my very last nerve I've become a lot more protective of my me-time.

Reactions: 1 user
To all you support staff out there busting your butts, I see you and I appreciate you. I’m sorry your management isn’t acknowledging your hard work. I bought lunch for my one clinic staff and donuts to the second one. I know it’s not enough but I feel like as crazy-busy as I am at work every day, you all are doing more. We couldn’t do it without you :) Hang in there.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Honestly, the crazy-ass client stuff would be *SIMPLE* to solve industry-wide if we just made a concerted effort at every single clinic and hospital to turn them away. You want to get aggressive, hostile, yell, swear, etc. ..... here's your invite to leave, where do you want us to send the records, kkthxbai.

Everybody has enough business right now. Might as well dump the baggage.

Too bad we don't have the unified will to do this.

I literally hung up on a client mid-sentence on Sunday, told my staff to put their cat in the vestibule (we have cages in the vestibule - clients put their pets there for us, and we put them back there to pick up) and call the client and tell them to take their cat and leave. Problem solved. The client had been yelling the same things at me repeatedly and called me a "f****** a**h***"..... (because I wouldn't euthanize their 12yo cat that was urinating outside the litterbox and had an URI but otherwise looked fantastically and chowed down on food when I took a look at it).

You don't have to accept abuse.

Reactions: 16 users
We've stopped taking new clients.
That's where we're having a problem. My boss/head vet has been running this practice for only a few years and is still in the mindset of "all business is good business" and never turns anyone away. Our spay/neuter surgery schedule is booked out until late September right now. If we have an urgent surgery or dental that needs to be added, we just schedule it to overlap the doctor's appointments and cross our fingers (per boss's orders).

Maybe your boss would be willing to hire a college student for the summer just to take the load off? It's nice to have an extra set of hands even if they only ever restrain and do laundry.
She has tried and decided she is done doing that. I was her first low-experience/low-skill college student hire and that worked out extremely well. I took to everything really quickly with minimal guidance. So she tried doing more college student hires and all of them ended up the exact opposite - clueless, making big mistakes regularly, not being very helpful. I do not blame them because her hiring method is not to train people, but to throw them into the work and hope they float (and I just happened to have the willpower to float). The other problem is that we are such a small hospital that every worker is expected to pitch in at all areas of the hospital, and if we hired a new worker for only restraint and laundry, they would be sitting on their butts most of the time. Techs are expected to pick up calls if receptionists are busy, receptionists are expected to jump into an appointment if techs are busy. Basically, my job title is vet assistant/technician/kennel attendant/receptionist all rolled into one. Anyway - she is only hiring trained technicians and receptionists from now on because she doesn't want to train people.

Honestly, the crazy-ass client stuff would be *SIMPLE* to solve industry-wide if we just made a concerted effort at every single clinic and hospital to turn them away. You want to get aggressive, hostile, yell, swear, etc. ..... here's your invite to leave, where do you want us to send the records, kkthxbai.

Everybody has enough business right now. Might as well dump the baggage.

Too bad we don't have the unified will to do this.

I literally hung up on a client mid-sentence on Sunday, told my staff to put their cat in the vestibule (we have cages in the vestibule - clients put their pets there for us, and we put them back there to pick up) and call the client and tell them to take their cat and leave. Problem solved. The client had been yelling the same things at me repeatedly and called me a "f****** a**h***"..... (because I wouldn't euthanize their 12yo cat that was urinating outside the litterbox and had an URI but otherwise looked fantastically and chowed down on food when I took a look at it).

You don't have to accept abuse.
Can you come work for us? :hilarious:

No, seriously - my two full time vets are the nicest people in the world (just too nice). They won't ever stand up for themselves. The other day I was bringing someone's dog out to their car and a lady rolled down her window to start yelling obscenities at me - while I was talking to the other man and handing his pet over. We were five minutes behind to start her appointment and she was furious. Once I was done with the man, I turned around and said "I'm so sorry for the inconvenience, we're running a little bit behind because we had an emergency turn into a euthanasia-" "I know that, I saw the lady come out crying! Do you think I'm an idiot?! I was told five minutes ago that someone would be with me momentarily and no one has taken my cat yet!" "I understand, and I'll take your cat inside right now-" "Obviously you don't understand or else my cat would be inside by now!" Then continued to screech profanity. I just took the cat and went inside. My boss's approach, as normal, was to apologize profusely and offer a discount on her services :mad: She's just rewarding the behavior...

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 5 users
I don’t have anyone IRL to talk to and I have to get things off of my chest somewhere.
Obviously I'm a brand new member who has not yet established myself here but I'm sure others would agree we are all here if you need to reach out or send me a private message! Hang in there!

So we got our "final" schedules today and I have been shoved into another unwanted vacation block. This is not okay with me.

Also, I've realize it will be another 3 weeks until I'm back in clinic because luck of the draw I happened to get radiology first in fall semester and they're just having all of the radiology online now from what I can tell. Joy.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
So we got our "final" schedules today and I have been shoved into another unwanted vacation block. This is not okay with me.

Also, I've realize it will be another 3 weeks until I'm back in clinic because luck of the draw I happened to get radiology first in fall semester and they're just having all of the radiology online now from what I can tell. Joy.

Can you fill it with something off campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know why I bother talking to anyone lol

I work full time as a non-certified vet tech and I'm applying to vet schools currently. I love my job - my vets, my coworkers, the animals, what I get to do - but we have been absolutely slammed since Covid began.

My regular shift is 10 or 12 hours + cleaning/emergencies after we close. We have 2.5 vets, usually just one on hand at a time. No way around it - we are understaffed. We have hired two new techs/receptionists and taken back three of our techs/receptionists off of furlough since Covid started. It's still not enough.

I am fine with all of the above - I thrive in stress and I leave my shift feeling proud of myself for sticking with it all day. What gets me is my boss/head vet has started cracking down on us techs "slacking." For example, we are supposed to start the SOAPs in the computer for our vets before they type up the rest, and we haven't been doing that. Why? Because when we're two hours behind and I'm the only tech doing all appointments (scheduled and emergency and tech), it is more important to get the next patient than it is to stop everything to type notes that can be done later. Doing everything curbside makes everything harder too. I always write my notes on the patient's intake paper so it's not like the information disappears. The vets just don't want to start SOAPs (which is understandable, they're stressed too). I would type them all at the end of the day if the vets didn't scoop up the papers and bring them home. I tried explaining this all to my boss and she said "Well this wasn't a one-time occurrence, this has been going on for weeks, and it needs to stop." Yeah, because it's been hell since March! I'm lucky if I get five minutes of a lunch break in a 12+ hour shift! I've also been making overtime (called in on "bad days," and they're all bad days) almost every payment cycle, which is fine by me and my wallet, but goes to show I'm dropping everything for this job. Being the middle-man that gets perpetually yelled at by clients for the vets running late is not a walk in the park either.

Again, I love everything else, but wow, getting repeatedly yelled at for "not doing enough" over something so trivial while working my butt off for 12+ hours at a time does not feel good.

I am so sorry that **** has hit the fan. It really is like this everywhere. I feel so bad for my colleagues. I have been hearing the stories and how wait times at some of the ERs have been as long at 8 or more hours.

It is absolutely insane.

I am sorry your boss isn't backing you up. She should be. You shouldn't have to tolerate abuse from clients. She should tell them to shut up and shape up or get lost.

I am sure the vets are just as stressed too, but that shouldn't be taken out on you.

I am the vet that does not jump to the next patient typically until at least part, if not all, of the record from the patient I just saw is complete, I can't recall things I said between patients well, so I want at least some notes input before I jump to the next patient. I can rock out patient records insanely fast though. So if the part the tech is supposed to do isn't there, that will get annoying to me over time. However, I can't stand the "that is your job" vs "this is my job" bit, something like starting the SOAP, seriously I can do that. Any vet can. So I'd just start it so I can get my record complete and move on.

You have to remember that you can stay late and start those SOAPs and take your time and get that nice fat, overtime check. The vets wanting to take home those records or having to wait for you to start your part, they don't get overtime. They get to sit there and wait for you to finish or take records home and work on them for free.

They shouldn't take out any frustration on you, that is not fair, especially since everything is just insane currently. Instead that should be approached as trying to determine what can be done to help so you can get those SOAPs started earlier. The answer probably is to cap how many patients can realistically be seen, but boss has to be willing to do that.

I've also always been of the mentality that people can wait another 3-5 minutes while I take a moment to type up something. I know that is harder when you have had people waiting for a couple hours already, but in the grand scheme, another couple minutes isn't going to make them more or less angry. But then, I don't tolerate angry people especially those we are fitting in as an urgent case or "emergency"--- we are doing you a favor, sit down and shut it or the door (exit to parking lot :laugh: ) is that way, yeah, I know you don't have that ability, but boss lady should be firm with people on this and demanding they respect the staff.

Reactions: 7 users
I've also always been of the mentality that people can wait another 3-5 minutes while I take a moment to type up something. I know that is harder when you have had people waiting for a couple hours already, but in the grand scheme, another couple minutes isn't going to make them more or less angry. But then, I don't tolerate angry people especially those we are fitting in as an urgent case or "emergency"--- we are doing you a favor, sit down and shut it or the door (exit to parking lot :laugh: ) is that way, yeah, I know you don't have that ability, but boss lady should be firm with people on this and demanding they respect the staff.
Oh boy, you would not believe the impatience of some of our clients who have been spoiled rotten by my boss. Some people get there 20 minutes early for their annual appointment, call to tell us, we say OK but please acknowledge the wait time, then they call in again exactly at their appointment start time to complain no one has seen them yet. :confused:

One man, a brand new client who had his first appointment with us last week, has been in with his elderly dog just about every day for the past week. The dog is always fine, the man is just always worried over some little thing that is never a big deal. The other day I went outside and approached his car but his eyes were held tight onto the vet who was talking to someone else a few cars down. I waited a few seconds for him to see me, but he never did, so I gently knocked on his car window. He dramatically flung his hands up into the air as if terrified, rolled down his window, and angrily exclaimed "You scared me!" I was already done with his crap so said back "Well, sorry, most people are looking toward the door and see me when I walk out." He replied back, again angrily, "You guys are always so late that I didn't expect you to get here so soon!"

Then as I was walking his dog into the hospital, the vet started walking inside and the man leapt out of his car to stop her. No mask, very close talker, interrupted her to talk to her even though I already got the pet's history, his pet hasn't been examined yet, and it's not his turn to talk to the vet. Made me so mad. Vet was too nice to say anything. Stood out there for ten minutes talking to him which just made her even more late. Ugh.

Huge pet peeve of mine is when people stop me in the parking lot as I'm talking to another client and ask me to take their pets. "Have you called in?" "No." "Okay, please call in so the receptionist can get your information." "Well since you're out here you can just take him now." "I'm with another client right now and will get to your pet when I'm done." Then they just force the leash into my hands mumbling "Here, just bring him inside" and walk off.

As for the SOAPs - I would absolutely stay late to type them up but after bringing in dozens of patients through the same day, all the ear infections and intermittent vomitings and ADRs just blur together without having my written notes as reference.

Last edited:
Oh boy, you would not believe the impatience some of our clients

I more than believe it, hear it and see it all the time. As a vet though, I tell them to shut it or leave. And if I am already 20 minutes late seeing them, being 25 minutes late isn't going to drastically change their anger level if they are that type of person. That was the point I was trying to make.

The problem you have is your boss won't tell them to sit down and shut up. It is one thing to acknowledge frustration for a client that has a scheduled appointment and you are late. I get their frustration and will work with them to a degree, but those clients that have been told they are being fit in. I for sure remind them that we are doing them a favor by seeing them at all. Period. And if they don't like that our scheduled appointments are priority, they are welcome to leave and find someone else to see them same day (of which they already know they won't find).

You are always welcome to rant here—it’s in the name ;)

We are severely understaffed too—I think it’s a thing a good number of folks are dealing with right now, sadly. Sorry to hear that you were criticized like that after working so hard! I try to remember to be as kind as I can to support staff, bring cookies etc in when I can, because I know how much this whole thing sucks.

Maybe this is already a thing at your work, but is there perhaps something that could change with the scheduling? Or is it a walk in only clinic? If it’s appointments, maybe the sick appointments can be seen earlier in the day so there’s time for work up, with annuals and other shorter things later in the day. We have gone to making a lot of things that need work up drop off appointments so we can take a bit more time especially if it’s an urgent /walk in. My clinic does see quite a few true emergencies so of course those always get priority over anything when they show up. This of course isn’t a fix all but sometimes a more efficient scheduling set up can be a better use of everyone’s time/energy. Sadly more places don’t operate on one than do especially in this hectic time.

Maybe this is already a thing at your work, but is there perhaps something that could change with the scheduling? Or is it a walk in only clinic? If it’s appointments, maybe the sick appointments can be seen earlier in the day so there’s time for work up, with annuals and other shorter things later in the day. We have gone to making a lot of things that need work up drop off appointments so we can take a bit more time especially if it’s an urgent /walk in. My clinic does see quite a few true emergencies so of course those always get priority over anything when they show up. This of course isn’t a fix all but sometimes a more efficient scheduling set up can be a better use of everyone’s time/energy. Sadly more places don’t operate on one than do especially in this hectic time.
Our receptionists work really hard to make the scheduling manageable. We try to do an every-other schedule where it's annual, sick, annual, sick. About half and half. That way the vets can theoretically get through their annuals fast and have some more time to catch up with the sick appointments. Of the sick appointments, we reserve about half of them as same-day sick for the people who call in with emergencies and semi-urgent sicks wanting to be seen the same day. And oh boy, we fill up the whole day's reserved slots in the first hour or two of being open. Then for the rest of the day, the issue comes when my boss says "Sure, they can come over" to "emergencies" that aren't really emergencies when the schedule is already double-booked.

Right now, if someone has a non-urgent sick appointment, we are so booked that we have to schedule them out a week or more if we don't want to use up a reserved same-day slot.

• Sad
I just check in every few years or so to see if this thread is still alive and kicking. Glad my *rant* from 10 years ago has allowed others to blow off steam as well, because good grief we all can use it these days!! Love seeing some old 'faces' here :) Carry on and RANT away... Cheers, E

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
I just check in every few years or so to see if this thread is still alive and kicking. Glad my *rant* from 10 years ago has allowed others to blow off steam as well, because good grief we all can use it these days!! Love seeing some old 'faces' here :) Carry on and RANT away... Cheers, E

Yay! :clap::claps: Now i'm hoping @Jamr0ckin stops by the RAVE HERE thread too! :cat::shy:

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely feeling the understaffing pinch, too. It's been stressful, and I feel for our techs, assistants, and receptionists who are running around like crazy doing a million things while the phone never seems to stop ringing. Everyone really is working hard and trying their best, but we simply don't have enough people right now. It's been tough to start out as a new vet among this insanity. I've been having to do a lot of ear cleaning, ear cytology, nail trims, anal sacs, filling meds, cleaning the exam room, etc. that the bosses want us to be delegating to staff, but it's sometimes hard enough to even find someone to help restrain for exams, vaccines, and blood draws. It's nearly impossible to do all of the things and also my records and client instructions and be on time, especially since it often takes 10-15 minutes to even get the patient into the building because everyone is so busy. It's been tough for everyone.

Management can really make a difference, though. Overbooking, not hiring enough people, having too many extra services - all of that can make a bad situation worse. It's really sh-tty for the boss to criticize you guys for not working hard enough when you're pulling 10-12 hour shifts and doing your best to keep up with the massive workload. There's only so much that any one human being can do, and telling everyone they're not working hard enough is only going to make people burn out.

Unrelated rant:
We're thinking about adopting another dog, so I've been looking through a few rescues. The application for my first dog that I filled out years ago was pretty ...comprehensive, and I know why rescues do this, but the two I just saw are a little over the top. One asked for contact info for every veterinary practice you've been to for the past 15 years. FIFTEEN years?! Who even keeps records that long? My human doctors don't keep records for more than 10 years. Literally none of the doctors I saw 8 years ago at the first practice I brought my kitty to are still there. They also ask things like "what brand of dog food are you feeding/will you feed your dog?" and "what causes heartworm?" and "what are normal behaviors in a puppy/dog?". My favorite one was, "If you become very ill or die, what will you do with your dog?". I mean, I can clearly see the reasoning behind just about every one of these questions, but I can also see why people would say "screw it" and find a breeder instead.

I am the vet that does not jump to the next patient typically until at least part, if not all, of the record from the patient I just saw is complete,

Me either. I could see more patients, obviously, but it isn't worth it to me. If I were to do that, it means staying even LATER past the theoretical end of my shift (and I'm usually already 1-2 hours late to leave due to caseload, procedures that were 'deferred' until the end of my shift, etc.). Screw that. Why should I kill myself?

So people have to wait longer. *shrug* That's a management problem, not my problem. If management wants me to see things faster, they can always shorten my shifts so I can do records at the end. But with 14-hr shifts that often go 15-16 hours ... no way. Not a chance.

I'm not into sacrificing my personal health and well-being just to see clients faster to keep them happier. If management wants that, again, provide more resources (i.e. more vets and techs) or provide shorter shifts that leave me a PLANNED hour or whatever to do charts at the end. But don't set up my scheduling so that I'm on a 14-hr shift where I have to see new cases right up to the end AND expect me to stay an hour or two after. Nope. Until I see management people doing 16-hr shifts, I'm not going to. (OMG. The thought of management coming in at 7AM and leaving at 11PM ... ahhhahahahahahahahahaha. Yet for some reason it's ok to expect that shift duration - sans breaks - from me. Ridiculous.)

The one classic argument for seeing more cases is ... more money (for those of us on production). Thing is, I make plenty. I'd MUCH rather make 25% less and have a much better QoL.

Reactions: 8 users
Me either. I could see more patients, obviously, but it isn't worth it to me. If I were to do that, it means staying even LATER past the theoretical end of my shift (and I'm usually already 1-2 hours late to leave due to caseload, procedures that were 'deferred' until the end of my shift, etc.). Screw that. Why should I kill myself?

So people have to wait longer. *shrug* That's a management problem, not my problem. If management wants me to see things faster, they can always shorten my shifts so I can do records at the end. But with 14-hr shifts that often go 15-16 hours ... no way. Not a chance.

I'm not into sacrificing my personal health and well-being just to see clients faster to keep them happier. If management wants that, again, provide more resources (i.e. more vets and techs) or provide shorter shifts that leave me a PLANNED hour or whatever to do charts at the end. But don't set up my scheduling so that I'm on a 14-hr shift where I have to see new cases right up to the end AND expect me to stay an hour or two after. Nope. Until I see management people doing 16-hr shifts, I'm not going to. (OMG. The thought of management coming in at 7AM and leaving at 11PM ... ahhhahahahahahahahahaha. Yet for some reason it's ok to expect that shift duration - sans breaks - from me. Ridiculous.)

The one classic argument for seeing more cases is ... more money (for those of us on production). Thing is, I make plenty. I'd MUCH rather make 25% less and have a much better QoL.

:lol: management come in early and stay way late.... that's funny. They also don't exist on weekends either the vast majority of the time.

Reactions: 1 users
Our receptionists work really hard to make the scheduling manageable. We try to do an every-other schedule where it's annual, sick, annual, sick. About half and half. That way the vets can theoretically get through their annuals fast and have some more time to catch up with the sick appointments. Of the sick appointments, we reserve about half of them as same-day sick for the people who call in with emergencies and semi-urgent sicks wanting to be seen the same day. And oh boy, we fill up the whole day's reserved slots in the first hour or two of being open. Then for the rest of the day, the issue comes when my boss says "Sure, they can come over" to "emergencies" that aren't really emergencies when the schedule is already double-booked.

Right now, if someone has a non-urgent sick appointment, we are so booked that we have to schedule them out a week or more if we don't want to use up a reserved same-day slot.

If I were you, I would just make sure your part of the SOAP gets started before moving onto the next patient. It literally takes 2-3 minutes, and I know it sucks when the clients are already pissy and impatient and waiting and you’re trying to get the schedule back on track, but it’s just another 2-3 min per patient and then it’s done with and you don’t have to have it hanging over you. If you’re running behind, it’s either because of inefficiencies or just being overbooked. In your case it sounds like the latter. Not your fault. It sounds like the booking of scheduled appointments is reasonable, the issue is the fit ins? Then run the flow according to the schedule and only move on to the fit ins after properly taking care of the scheduled appointments including the paperwork. The fit ins can wait. If they don’t want to wait, they can leave. If management is getting pissy about the wait, well let them continue getting pissy until they realize they need to hire more, actually pitch in themselves when it’s busy, or cut down on the fit in appts. They can’t say yes to more than the staff and doctors can handle. By not doing your job fully, you’re just encouraging the system while inconveniencing your team (in this case the doctor, who has to make sense of your scribbles and input it in the SOAP) making an unpleasant day more unpleasant. The doctor is unhappy and in turn you feel unappreciated when the doctor is mad at you for this. If it’s the doctor who is rushing you to move on to your next appt before the SOAP is inputted, then say “do you want me to start the SOAP on your last patient first? And then move on? Or do you want to get the hx on the next one yourself while I finish this one? Or do you want me to forget about starting the SOAP and move on - That means I prob won’t have it in by the time you leave?”

I totally empathize with what you’re going through. But try to see it through the doctor’s eyes too. Remember that if it is that busy, the doctor probably doesn’t have any records written before they leave. When you leave, you are done. When the doctor leaves, they may have hours of records to still write. And as a doctor who has been in that situation, I can tell you it is rage inducing when I have 15 out of 25 records to write, I open the file and no SOAP is started. That means I have to take out the huge wad of paper out of my bag, file through and find the patient, then put together something comprehensible from the chicken scratch. And it never has all the information needed in a full hx so I’m not sure if it was discussed or not. It takes me a good 5-10 min sometimes to get this done, when it could have taken 2-3 min for my tech to have done at the time, and then I have to write my part of the record with fire coming out my nose. So then what would have been 1-2 hrs of record writing turns into 3. And I’d been working just as long and hard as my techs throughout my entire day. And I wouldn’t want my staff to go home with the papers and finish it from home because there are inevitably going to be some that gets missed and then I’m totally screwed. I literally would rather my techs just put down whatever hx they’ve taken every single time, even if that puts us behind. OR, if that can’t happen, I would much rather take my own history if I have to type it in. I can at least remember the conversation. It’s just really annoying and bad medicine to put together a hx from a conversation I didn’t have. I confirm relevant hx during the appt, but everything else is a big blank.

Reactions: 8 users
@Minnerbelle, thank you for taking the time to write all that out, I really appreciate it.

(Not trying to formulate excuses, only explaining) We have no true management - the "manager" and the doctor are the same person. She is the practice owner, head veterinarian, and manager all rolled into one. That's why I'm not really stuck in between two people with different motives, but rather the same person who will get upset regardless of what I choose. Take the next appointment? "Well, you didn't write the SOAP!" Write the SOAP? "Where is my next appointment?! We are running late!" I ask her all the time which one she wants done first and she always, always picks the next appointment. She will only complain about the SOAPs the next day. And this isn't the only contradiction she has with the techs. We have been yelled at for picking up the phone after we close. We have been yelled at for not picking up the phone after we close. Yelled at for taking in an appointment before she's ready, yelled at for not taking in an appointment ahead of time. And so on...

I do not blame her or hold this against her personally. I can only imagine how much stress she must be under having essentially three full-time jobs plus a life and a family outside of it all. Outside of these isolated incidents, she is incredibly nice and appreciative and even slipped me a $100 gift card a few weeks ago. It's just frustrating being put in that position, which is why I posted on this thread to let off steam.

I was allowed back at my rotation site starting this week (overnights at a hospital). I just got done with the second shift, plus a 4h work-work shift immediately after. Life is ROUGH right now.

tenor.gif

And then I'm also volunteering 3.5 hours from now.

10kd.gif

Reactions: 9 users
I do not blame her or hold this against her personally.

I don’t know, I would hold it against her if all of it was her doing.
Have you asked her when she actually expects you to get it done, and point out that there is nowhere in the day she gives you to get it done?

Also, why not just directly input it in the computer while you’re getting history? Would that not solve your problem? If the infrastructure is such that it’s difficult to do, that’s something to have your boss figure out.

**** curbside. That’s all.

• Love
I don’t know, I would hold it against her if all of it was her doing.
Have you asked her when she actually expects you to get it done, and point out that there is nowhere in the day she gives you to get it done?

Also, why not just directly input it in the computer while you’re getting history? Would that not solve your problem? If the infrastructure is such that it’s difficult to do, that’s something to have your boss figure out.
Yes, and she brushed it off and said it just needs to get done. I tried to interject but at the time we were in the middle of appointments and both got pulled elsewhere in the chaos. If she brings it up again but we're too busy to talk I'm going to ask her to make a meeting time with me to talk about it.

We're operating on curbside protocol right now which means we take the history while we're outside in the parking lot to get the pet. We don't have computers in front of us while we're taking it. We have tried getting histories over the phone but it doesn't work out because then all the phone lines are busy from techs getting histories and the receptionists can't use them.

And while we’re at it. Can RNs stop being terrible clients.

• Haha
We were just talking about this at the clinic I'm externing at

I been yelled at by two separate nurses today lol. One wanted to prescribe antibiotics for a UTI she diagnosed herself.

I been yelled at by two separate nurses today lol. One wanted to prescribe antibiotics for a UTI she diagnosed herself.

I'd like to see her UA results if she is diagnosing her own pets :rolleyes:

• Haha
The other nurse client: cat had a T4 over 10. Was explaining she had a high ALT—which is seen with hyperthyroid—and she interrupts me to say “yeah, I know that” like oh ok good job.

They know just enough to be dangerous
YES! We had a client recently that’s a nurse and her daughter is an exotics vet. She was a royal PITA. That evening I called my mom (an RN) and made her promise not to be that way after I’ve graduated vet school. I threatened to give her no vet advice ever if she behaves like this woman did :laugh:

• Haha
I actually wrote something last night while crying, it disappeared into the abyss however. It was at least cathartic what I wrote. Sufficient to say, today I actually wasn't slammed and afraid of how little time I could spend on patients, and got to spend time explaining exactly what was happening with the pet, what we were going to do about it, and what the future holds. It was a relief.

However, this popped up in my news feed today, and it is very appropriate for these discussions. We have to support each other, because everyone is in a bad place. It has to be like the people married or living with family when they haven't had to spend that much time with each other, and all the dirty laundry is out there with the new world. Remember that communication and honesty, coming from a well prepared speech*, is the only way to fix problems that my be obvious to one, but will not be resolved with talking. Emotions need to be in control, and in the moment when these things that cause friction happen, a point of order needs to be called.

I hope all practices are taking the morning to gather and review the schedule, identify where **** may hit the fan, and communicate in order to get through the crazy. And I have started gathering what set off reception, assistants, techs and doctors from last week and bring it up to touch on for those precious 15 minutes where majority of the day's employees are gathered. Has to be kept to a max of three, and that leaves enough time for one to speak up from each group so I and others can work on solutions to the problems.

Anyway, long and short of it is, we must be united.

*Yes, keep that thing that irritated you in your processing bank for analysis before exploding. Really try to examine it from all parties involved and take into consideration the personality of the person with whom the friction exists. It takes work, but you have to find out how each person learns and becomes receptive to discussion, much like assessing if an animal does better with a firm hand or gentle. Long winded and seems logical and dumb to put into words, but sometimes reading it and saying it out loud actually brings it into action.

Reactions: 7 users
I actually wrote something last night while crying, it disappeared into the abyss however. It was at least cathartic what I wrote. Sufficient to say, today I actually wasn't slammed and afraid of how little time I could spend on patients, and got to spend time explaining exactly what was happening with the pet, what we were going to do about it, and what the future holds. It was a relief.

However, this popped up in my news feed today, and it is very appropriate for these discussions. We have to support each other, because everyone is in a bad place. It has to be like the people married or living with family when they haven't had to spend that much time with each other, and all the dirty laundry is out there with the new world. Remember that communication and honesty, coming from a well prepared speech*, is the only way to fix problems that my be obvious to one, but will not be resolved with talking. Emotions need to be in control, and in the moment when these things that cause friction happen, a point of order needs to be called.

I hope all practices are taking the morning to gather and review the schedule, identify where **** may hit the fan, and communicate in order to get through the crazy. And I have started gathering what set off reception, assistants, techs and doctors from last week and bring it up to touch on for those precious 15 minutes where majority of the day's employees are gathered. Has to be kept to a max of three, and that leaves enough time for one to speak up from each group so I and others can work on solutions to the problems.

Anyway, long and short of it is, we must be united.

*Yes, keep that thing that irritated you in your processing bank for analysis before exploding. Really try to examine it from all parties involved and take into consideration the personality of the person with whom the friction exists. It takes work, but you have to find out how each person learns and becomes receptive to discussion, much like assessing if an animal does better with a firm hand or gentle. Long winded and seems logical and dumb to put into words, but sometimes reading it and saying it out loud actually brings it into action.

This is the city I just moved away from and I know this vet through my classmates. It's definitely caused some ripples and shock through the vet community up here.

• Sad
This is the city I just moved away from and I know this vet through my classmates. It's definitely caused some ripples and shock through the vet community up here.

Yeah, I think we all have a story or two by now that physical threats have been at least threatened at some point. It just hurts my heart that it seems fairly split between people who are lashing out when afraid of things versus those that are simply thankful they are being helped at all even with sitting in the parking lot for 4+ hours for the chance to be seen. So many unsocialized dogs to match the unsocialized humans. :lame:

Yes, and she brushed it off and said it just needs to get done. I tried to interject but at the time we were in the middle of appointments and both got pulled elsewhere in the chaos. If she brings it up again but we're too busy to talk I'm going to ask her to make a meeting time with me to talk about it.

We're operating on curbside protocol right now which means we take the history while we're outside in the parking lot to get the pet. We don't have computers in front of us while we're taking it. We have tried getting histories over the phone but it doesn't work out because then all the phone lines are busy from techs getting histories and the receptionists can't use them.

One of the clinics I frequent uses burner cellphones for this purpose, might be something to consider. Sounds like it would be totally worth it. Have maybe 2 for the techs to have to call and take histories.

One of the clinics I frequent uses burner cellphones for this purpose, might be something to consider. Sounds like it would be totally worth it. Have maybe 2 for the techs to have to call and take histories.
That's not a bad idea, we've already all done our fair share of calling clients on our personal cellphones because our hospital phone company's lines often quit randomly for 10-15 minutes a few times each week! :confused:

And while we’re at it. Can RNs stop being terrible clients.
My favorite WTF moment ever is still the pediatric nurse that didn’t believe in vaccines. Literally said she thought vaccines were pointless and did nothing. You should not be allowed around children lady lol

• Wow
That's not a bad idea, we've already all done our fair share of calling clients on our personal cellphones because our hospital phone company's lines often quit randomly for 10-15 minutes a few times each week! :confused:
Yeah it’s especially nice if the phone stays with the tech on the case, because you can text the client too for minor things in between. Makes a lot of things easier.