This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

talyn86

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm currently a sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh. So far, my classes are going well, and I think I have a solid plan for extracurricular activities, but I would like an outsider's opinion.

Here are the 15 activities I have, or plan to have, by the end of my college career. The bold ones are the ones that are tentative (i.e. I plan to start them in the near future).
1. UPMC Hospital Volunteer (2 years, 4 hours/week)
2. Hospice Music Therapy Volunteer (2 years, 3 hours/week)
3. Shadowing (already have 20 hours, would like to shadow at least 3 more specialties)
4. American Medical Student Association (member for 4 years, peer mentor for 2; 2 hours/week for membership, 3 additional hours/month for mentoring, plus additional hours for extra club activities)
5. Tutoring or TA (2 years, not sure about hours)
6. Annual Church Mission Trips (5 since 2014, and I intend to do more; both religious and service-oriented, in partnership with the local organizations of each area we visit; all trips have been 1 week except the most recent one, which was 2 weeks)
7. Church Worship Band (8 years total, 2 different churches, 8 hours/week)
8. Research Poster and Presentation (already completed, 1 semester for credit)
9. North Way College Core Leadership Team (4 years; hours vary, at least 6/month)
10. Summer job as a file clerk at a health equipment firm (4 years, 20 hours/week)
11. Youth Refugee Volunteer (2 years; would involve helping with weekly meetings for refugee children, educating them, and providing support for their families; start with 3 hours/week, potentially more)
12. Possible summer internship

13. Dean's List (will be replaced with a more interesting activity, if I find one)
14. Research position at the local hospital (2 years, ~6-8 hours week)
15. Copywriter at Fiverr (7 years; paid hobby)

I will probably finish the rest of my shadowing over my summers. Also, I might have to quit volunteering with hospice in order to make time for volunteering at the hospital. The refugee opportunity is on weekends, so it would not interfere with my other activities.

Members don't see this ad.

Hours would be more informative than years.

Members don't see this ad :)
You do NOT need to fill all 15 activities. As stated above, hours are more informative than years. Much of what you have listed began before college. As long as it is an activity that has continued through college, it is okay to list the earlier hours, but what you have done since college will be considered more heavily. You really need to get that clinical volunteering and non-clinical volunteering in. Get to work on them.

List actual total hours. Not hours per week X years.