This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaesterOfTheNorth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied this past cycle and have only received one interview (TouroNY) and was waitlisted for an interview (Touro-Nev). I have not heard back concerning the interview, and this late, I do not expect good news. My stats were cGPA 3.51, sGPA 3.28 (upward trend), 500, and OOS. I have 100+ hrs of volunteering at hospitals, 100+hrs of shadowing different specialties. The only new things I would have to add to my application are 2 new jobs (one of them being a physiology TA) I've had this past year.

I don't know if I should reapply this upcoming cycle and just apply earlier (most of my applications were sent around Dec/Jan, I surprisingly had less time than I thought I would have to work on my secondaries) and apply to more schools (applied to 8, got secondaries for all, but only sent in 6, again due to timing). Or if I should just do a post-bacc and reapply next cycle (2019-2020) and improve my stats a bit so that I have a chance with MD schools as well, which includes retaking the MCAT. Also I do not know if I necessarily should do a post-bacc (fear of doing awful and not getting in anywhere at all) or get a job in the clinical field (CNA/ER Tech) since I feel as though I'm lacking true clinical experience.

Sent secondaries to: LECOM, PCOM (both campuses), RVUCOM, Touro NY and Nevada

Members don't see this ad.

So I applied this past cycle and have only received one interview (TouroNY) and was waitlisted for an interview (Touro-Nev). I have not heard back concerning the interview, and this late, I do not expect good news. My stats were cGPA 3.51, sGPA 3.28 (upward trend), 500, and OOS. I have 100+ hrs of volunteering at hospitals, 100+hrs of shadowing different specialties. The only new things I would have to add to my application are 2 new jobs (one of them being a physiology TA) I've had this past year.

I don't know if I should reapply this upcoming cycle and just apply earlier (most of my applications were sent around Dec/Jan, I surprisingly had less time than I thought I would have to work on my secondaries) and apply to more schools (applied to 8, got secondaries for all, but only sent in 6, again due to timing). Or if I should just do a post-bacc and reapply next cycle (2019-2020) and improve my stats a bit so that I have a chance with MD schools as well, which includes retaking the MCAT. Also I do not know if I necessarily should do a post-bacc (fear of doing awful and not getting in anywhere at all) or get a job in the clinical field (CNA/ER Tech) since I feel as though I'm lacking true clinical experience.

Sent secondaries to: LECOM, PCOM (both campuses), RVUCOM, Touro NY and Nevada
Your mistakes were applying very late, not applying broadly, and not applying to new schools.

Honestly, unless you can get your MCAT >510 I don't think you have a shot at MD. What is your state of residence?

Reactions: 1 user
Your mistakes were applying very late, not applying broadly, and not applying to new schools.

Honestly, unless you can get your MCAT >510 I don't think you have a shot at MD. What is your state of residence?

California, but I don't really want to go to school in California. Kind of tired of it lol. Also, I know how competitive it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
To put it kindly, you applied late, VERY late. I believe this is why you didn't get more interviews. My advice is, retake your MCAT and apply no later than late July. Remember, early bird gets the worm. This couldn't be more true for med school acceptance. Schools have already interviewed many candidates by the time they received your app. Get your app in early and with a +5 on your mcat and I think you will be okay.

A post-bacc would be a waste of time for DO schools. An MCAT retake would be more worthwhile.

Regardless, the points about a late app + very small school list are accurate, and are probably the bulk of why you had no luck this cycle.

A post-bacc would be a waste of time for DO schools. An MCAT retake would be more worthwhile.

Regardless, the points about a late app + very small school list are accurate, and are probably the bulk of why you had no luck this cycle.

Okay, so if I plan to retake the MCAT this summer, should I reapply this coming cycle or just wait till next cycle?

Okay, so if I plan to retake the MCAT this summer, should I reapply this coming cycle or just wait till next cycle?
Depends on practice test scores before. I would say you'd probably be okay for applying this cycle as long as you apply early and construct a better school list.

Depends on practice test scores before. I would say you'd probably be okay for applying this cycle as long as you apply early and construct a better school list.

Will it affect my application at all if I reapply but my new score hasn't come in and they just see the 500? Would waiting for the score just be equivalent to applying late in the cycle?

Edit: I plan on retaking in August.

Will it affect my application at all if I reapply but my new score hasn't come in and they just see the 500? Would waiting for the score just be equivalent to applying late in the cycle?

I retook my MCAT in Sept and I was fine. Goro has said in the past as long as secondaries are in by Thanksgiving you are ok. It's not like the MD cycle

Second what was said above. You should be fine. Make sure you throw in apps to the newer schools in case you don't do better.

Id go with the post-bac. Use the opportunity to travel to a cool city. The knowledge you gain during this year will set you apart during medical school and put you in the best possible position to ace your step 1- which determines your entire life.