This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rovafrop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated in May 2016 as an English major. I have done my physics, intro chem, orgo, stats, calc requirements and one semester of bio.
I need to retake physics and bio and was hoping to do so at a post bacc but missed most of the deadlines, save for one which I'm not too sure about (Elms College). Should I try for it or wait for next year?

I've done no volunteering during college and only worked for about a month at a clinic in between semesters.
What should I do in my time off between now and the next post bacc cycle?

Should I find a job or research position? I found that this is difficult to due considering my lack of experience.

I feel like I need to do something significant with this time but don't know where to start.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated--Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, where you do your post-bacc hardly matters, unless you're looking to do a linkage to a particular med school. I went to a relatively-new, relatively-unheard of, small, private college to complete my courses and it worked out just fine. The advantage to "known" ones is that they have linkages and they've done this before. But if you have fortitude and a DIY-spirit, any school is fine (provided it is accredited and not online).

If you want to be a doctor and have little to now experience with face-to-face patient interaction, that's your first area to address. Unless you want to go to a school who prioritizes research, you're fine putting that off until you start your post-bacc. So find an in-patient volunteer gig now. Commit at least 4 hours a week and you'll have over 500 hours by the time you apply.

You need shadowing as well as clinical and non-clinical experience. Get involved in some sort of patient-to-patient work, whether in a hospital, a nursing home, a hospice, etc. Find areas of interest for your non-clinical work (I'm an English major and worked as an author's assistant). When you start your post-bacc, make sure you build connections with individuals who will write your letters of recommendation.