This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DogDepot

CSU CVM c/o 2022
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I did a quick search for this but if there is another thread out there I'd be happy to read it!

I'm moving to Colorado in the Fall for vet school. I'll be shipping my car from Hawaii and I was wondering if anyone had any experience for that. I will be registering my car and getting its safety check done right before I leave. On the Colorado DMV website it says that college students' cars can remain registered in the original state with their plates. I can register my car through Hawaii online I think but I wasn't sure how to get a safety check done. Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Thanks!!
 
^ My state just said to register online (which I did) and then get the inspection within three days of returning to the state. Every state is different though. It took us awhile to figure this out. One thing I did learn (don't ask me how PLEASE) was that is is VERY hard to get a new driver's license if you are out of state and lose yours. It can take a long time to get a new one and you are illegal driving without it even if you have ordered a new one! I was told to keep a photocopy of my license front and back in the dorm/apartment/house just in case you lose yours. It can make it easier to get a new one.