This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

swagkage

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I believe the biggest weakness on my application has always been my academic career and it has been rocky. I know that schools typically like upward progression but i've had ups and downs which i'm worried will hurt me, every time my grades have dropped however I have picked them back up. Until I added my engineering major and it made all the much worse.

I had a large degree of poor personal choices the three semesters from junior to senior where my GPA dropped. I was in engineering so as soon as you start to falter everything sort of is difficult to come back from. I was never particularly strong at engineering and it really demoralized me but I still managed to graduate. I don't think i ever properly learned how to study for it until the end. I also struggled with severe anxiety and depression which I finally started to get treatment for following graduation. Having said that I worked hard and put in gear for the MCAT while working full time as an engineer to pursue my dream and it paid off.

I graduated with a 3.10 in Civil Engineering (B.S.) and Biology (B.S.) and just got a 518 on my MCAT. I believe my extracurricular are decent:

-2 Year of EMS
-1.5 Year of Research (and continuing)
-Leadership positions in around 5 clubs
-200 hours of hospital volunteering
-300 hours of shadowing
-Resident Assistant (3 years)
-2 Engineering internships
-One full year as a full time engineer

I'm basically worried about an M.D./D.O. acceptance do to my GPA. I'm Asian and a NY resident. Is there any chance with my current GPA/ stats? Is there anything else I can do to strengthen my app other than retake classes? I have heard an SMP might make sense in my current situation. I sincerely appreciate all the effort you have taken to read this.
 
Last edited: