Rocky Academic Career, 518 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swagkage

Reaction score
So I believe the biggest weakness on my application has always been my academic career and it has been rocky. I know that schools typically like upward progression but i've had ups and downs which i'm worried will hurt me, every time my grades have dropped however I have picked them back up. Until I added my engineering major and it made all the much worse.

I had a large degree of poor personal choices the three semesters from junior to senior where my GPA dropped. I was in engineering so as soon as you start to falter everything sort of is difficult to come back from. I was never particularly strong at engineering and it really demoralized me but I still managed to graduate. I don't think i ever properly learned how to study for it until the end. I also struggled with severe anxiety and depression which I finally started to get treatment for following graduation. Having said that I worked hard and put in gear for the MCAT while working full time as an engineer to pursue my dream and it paid off.

I graduated with a 3.10 in Civil Engineering (B.S.) and Biology (B.S.) and just got a 518 on my MCAT. I believe my extracurricular are decent:

-2 Year of EMS
-1.5 Year of Research (and continuing)
-Leadership positions in around 5 clubs
-200 hours of hospital volunteering
-300 hours of shadowing
-Resident Assistant (3 years)
-2 Engineering internships
-One full year as a full time engineer

I'm basically worried about an M.D./D.O. acceptance do to my GPA. I'm Asian and a NY resident. Is there any chance with my current GPA/ stats? Is there anything else I can do to strengthen my app other than retake classes? I have heard an SMP might make sense in my current situation. I sincerely appreciate all the effort you have taken to read this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: