Rocky Vista University (RVU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am having a really hard time here. I have acceptances to my two top choices, KCOM and RVU-Co. I'm military so tuition and living expense is not really a factor, but I am married with a baby. Any current students have input that might help with this decision?

Im not a current student but I do know RVU has an awesome military track and gets some amazing military matches every year (ive been told not to judge a school on match lists though). I havent visited Kirksville but my guess is since it's rural the primary education for your child might be better in the denver area.

On the other hand KCOM is very established, and even though I don't know much about it from what I've heard it's a great school.

Just kind of throwing in my 2cents! Current students would definitely know more about family friendliness of the area and everything else in general though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed here on monday, and thought I did...ehm...eh. Hoping for the best. Need to wait for Monday for decision.

Reactions: 1 user
R
I bombed this interview. still got accepted. hope you get in- most do.
RVU weighs heavily on the interview - you did awesome if you got in. I'm curious what makes you think you bombed it? And congrats!

R

RVU weighs heavily on the interview - you did awesome if you got in. I'm curious what makes you think you bombed it? And congrats!

Everyone I talked to (in person and on this forum) was like "oh that interview is really chill. Don't prepare and just be yourself." So yea I didn't do anything except show up. I rambled on and on, and didn't answer so concisely when answering the interviewers questions. At another interview 2 weeks later, I was much more clear and rocked it.

They accept 80% of people they interview this suggests that they don't weight the interview as heavily as most schools. Instead they pre screen your app vigorously.

The 80% is probably all the people they accept off of the waitlist too thought, right? I wonder how many acceptances they give off their waitlist usually. Does anyone know?

The 80% is probably all the people they accept off of the waitlist too thought, right? I wonder how many acceptances they give off their waitlist usually. Does anyone know?

If I remember correctly, when I interviewed here a couple of years ago they said they took about 20 off the waitlist

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

New to SDN. I was accepted here at beginning of October. Wondering if any of the accepted/matriculating members of the class of 2021 are Denverites who might want to plan a social event to get to know one another in the coming weeks? Feel free to reply or PM me!

Hope to hear from you soon!

rejected pre-interview just now. complete 10/31. bummed but good luck to those still waiting!

Received the secondary on Tuesday and just got an email reminding me I haven't filled it out yet...dang RVU give me the weekend pls lol

I interviewed 11/15 and they told us that the committee was meeting 11/18 and that we would know sometime this week, does anyone know approximately what day? Like will they call/email Monday or do they usually wait a couple days? I loved this school so much and am super anxious to hear a decision!

Is there a class of 2021 facebook page yet?

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed 11/15 and they told us that the committee was meeting 11/18 and that we would know sometime this week, does anyone know approximately what day? Like will they call/email Monday or do they usually wait a couple days? I loved this school so much and am super anxious to hear a decision!

They seem to call on the Monday or Tuesday after the decision is made. For me they emailed the day I was supposed to hear back and said that they didn't get to our interview date and we had to wait an extra week. But RVU is usually really fast at getting back to you.

They seem to call on the Monday or Tuesday after the decision is made. For me they emailed the day I was supposed to hear back and said that they didn't get to our interview date and we had to wait an extra week. But RVU is usually really fast at getting back to you.

Oh man I really hope they don't do that to us!! They said that if we get an email it'll be a rejection/waitlist so I know that if I even see an email from them I'm going to be so sad lol.

Just canceled my interview. I hope it goes to someone deserving. Happy holidays!

I hate to be a person asking a repeat question so SORRY if that is the case but can anyone, current student or otherwise tell me whether or not RVU students are able to do their rotations outside of Colorado? I'm having a super tough time making a decision and I'd love to hear from someone on this! I'm not from Colorado so I would like to potentially rotate outside of CO.

I hate to be a person asking a repeat question so SORRY if that is the case but can anyone, current student or otherwise tell me whether or not RVU students are able to do their rotations outside of Colorado? I'm having a super tough time making a decision and I'd love to hear from someone on this! I'm not from Colorado so I would like to potentially rotate outside of CO.

+1 would like to know this, i've heard you can set up your own rotations for core rotations if you want but I'm not sure if this has been verified by a student or faculty yet. Also would like to know if people think this is a bad idea or not, the way I see it you're missing out on having the resources and assistance that a core rotation spot gives you but you gain the freedom to go where you want (say you have a S/O or family in other state) and possibly more time to rotate at hospitals you may later want to apply to.

Accepted! Just got the call from the Utah campus a few minutes ago :) :) :) so excited!

Is there an official/unofficial facebook page for the class of 2021?

Accepted to UT campus as of 2 min ago, interviewed the 11/17. Top choice school

Interviewed on 11/12, so they got back within a week and a half. Got the call this morning! Doesn't look like my portal has changed yet

Just got accepted at 8:15am! Interviewed on 11/11. They said the portal won't change for a few days, enjoy the good news!

Last edited:
There is a facebook page for the Utah campus, look for Rocky Vista University COM-UT Class of 2021

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yes, but it has to be approved by the clinical affairs office.

There's at least one person who does it pretty much every year

Accepted to CO campus!!!!!! Interviewed 11/14 and got my phone call yesterday!!!! What a feeling to know I am on the way to becoming a DOCTOR and at one of my TOP school choices. This is incredible This interview was amazing and laid back just as everyone said and compared to my previous interviews it was a better experience for sure!

Reactions: 4 users
For some off-topic fun... RVU Mannequin Challenge:

Reactions: 2 users
So I have an Interview coming up here that i am very excited about and am currently holding on to an acceptance at CCOM. I will have 2 weeks after the interview at RVU colorado before I have to put down a deposit at CCOM. Just wondering if the admissions committee meets often/ if they generally have a quick turnaround.I found some responses to this in this thread but would love to hear others as well. Thanks!

So I have an Interview coming up here that i am very excited about and am currently holding on to an acceptance at CCOM. I will have 2 weeks after the interview at RVU colorado before I have to put down a deposit at CCOM. Just wondering if the admissions committee meets often/ if they generally have a quick turnaround.I found some responses to this in this thread but would love to hear others as well. Thanks!

My group heard back exactly one week after! I'm not sure if this is the norm, but they seem like theyve been pretty quick recently!

From what I understood, they usually meet on Fridays (not sure how often though) and I heard back a week after interview. One group, they said on interview day, heard the very next day because they had interviewed on a Thursday. I can't promise the latter, but they are very quick.

Yep. My interview group interviewed Thursday and we heard back on Friday. It all depends when the selection committee meets.

Hey everyone! Got an Interview at the Utah Campus! For those of you who already have been, what is the area like? Also, if accepted, how long do they give before putting down the deposit?

Thanks!

Hey everyone! Got an Interview at the Utah Campus! For those of you who already have been, what is the area like? Also, if accepted, how long do they give before putting down the deposit?

Thanks!

Ivins is a beautiful place. There are a lot of senior retirement communities around because it is always warm (but gets hot in the summers). It's a pretty chill town from the times I've been down there. It's not huge though and no "teaching hospital" nearby. The community seems to be happy that this school is going up. The St George area has Dixie State, which is used to be known as a party school (don't know if this is still true?). There are a lot of good hiking and such around too. Zion's national park is awesome and is close by.

The actual interview is held in an office building across the street from the construction site of the school. I really liked the campus dean, he was a good guy.

PM me if you want. Good luck

Excited about interviewing here in January. Wanted RVU-CO but I hear this area is really nice.

Got an II for the UT campus. OOS, from MI. Will be declining due to the average temp being 100+ during the summer. I would not last.

All seriousness good luck everyone.

Can anybody speak as to what rvu's most recent board score average was and what the national average was?