Rocky Vista University (RVU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sent in my secondary early September, but my letters were not uploaded until 10/5. I was marked complete yesterday.

Where do you see that your app is complete? My file status says: Applicant.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone who submitted their secondary in the past month or so been marked complete? My secondary was submitted on 10/9 and I haven't heard anything

I submitted my secondary 9/13 and was just marked complete yesterday. It seems that secondary to complete is taking around 6-8 weeks.

Where do you see that your app is complete? My file status says: Applicant.

I still have the Applicant tab. When you click on that tab, under Admission Status your stage will change from APPL stage to FILEC and submission dates for letters/aacomas/secondary will all be posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sent in my secondary early September, but my letters were not uploaded until 10/5. I was marked complete yesterday.

I submitted my secondary 9/13 and was just marked complete yesterday. It seems that secondary to complete is taking around 6-8 weeks.

Jesus. Well I guess I'll just have to wait. Seems so far away lol

They sure take their time processing apps. Any idea what the time from complete to a decision is? Secondary submitted 9/25

Also, with a 3.59 cGPA, 3.58 sGPA and 502 do I have a realistic chance of an II or not really?

Last edited:
They sure take their time processing apps. Any idea what the time from complete to a decision is? Secondary submitted 9/25

Also, with a 3.59 cGPA, 3.58 sGPA and 502 do I have a realistic chance of an II or not really?

I don't know about the time frame at this point, but I would say your stats are probably good enough for an II. The thing is it really depends on your secondary essays. They seem to go over all that in depth before inviting you for an interview. And it seems like they look for people excited to go there and who are respectful and such. Good luck though!

Edit: here are last years averages according to their handout. cGPA 3.66 sGPA 3.62 MCAT 504.4

Reactions: 1 users
I still have the Applicant tab. When you click on that tab, under Admission Status your stage will change from APPL stage to FILEC and submission dates for letters/aacomas/secondary will all be posted.

Thank you for getting back with me. About how long does that take? Everything is in for me. I've got letters and MCAT and apps sent right about three weeks ago.

Cool. That's a long time but thanks for getting back with me. I guess I've still got about it 3-5 weeks left. I'm trying to hold back my neuroticism but it's hard until after I get the first acceptance.

Rejected Pre-II. So confused :/

Reactions: 1 user
I have a interview in two weeks at the Colorado campus but on the fence about cancelling. Can someone who interviewed here, attending, or just knowledgeable about the skool comment in it? You can pm me if you'd like. Pros/Cons or just opinions. I want to call them this week if I cancel.

RVU must be bogged down with applications. They aren't yet into october but the wonderful woman in admissions was helpful to let me know that so if you submitted a little later like me (AACOMAS took a while to verify my app) then rest easy as they process our apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was marked as file complete today and was wondering what the turn around time for a decision is? Not holding my breath for an II, but I am definitely hoping!

Was marked as file complete today and was wondering what the turn around time for a decision is? Not holding my breath for an II, but I am definitely hoping!

Mine was like 2.5months after i was complete! Sorry to be the bearer of meh news

Does anyone know where RVU-CO rotates at?

@COQueen

I cannot find it anywhere.......

Last edited:
Hey everyone.
I see many of you have questions for current students.
I'm a current student at RVU.
Feel free to message me questions or tag me here and I'll try my best to keep up with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

@COQueen

RVU-CO rotates in Denver, Colorado Springs, and Pueblo. Not sure the hospitals. Also, since RVU utah is campus is open now I heard those rotations are open to CO students too. You can also set up your own rotations too :)

@COQueen

Currently, the way rotations work is that you rotate at either Denver, Pueblo, or Colorado Springs during OMS-III
I don't know the names of the individual medical centers but, currently, all of them are either Level I or Level II trauma centers with different residency programs.
Some that I know off the top of my head are Sky Ridge, Swedish, St. Joseph (in Denver), and Parkview (largest hospital in Pueblo).
Many of the clubs on campus work with residents/OMS-IIIs at these medical centers and these are the only hospitals I've heard of so far.

Also, you can now complete certain clinical electives at the CU Medical Center (CO's MD Medical School teaching hospital) (i.e.: Sub-Is, etc.).

Hey everyone.
I see many of you have questions for current students.
I'm a current 1st year at RVU.
Feel free to message me questions or tag me here and I'll try my best to keep up with them.

A little about me.
25 years old, female, Caucasian, from northern CA originally (college in the east coast). MCAT was 510; GPA was 3.6
Interviewed and accepted at RVU, Western COMP (in Pomona), TUCOM, AZCOM, and CCOM. My only wait list was at PCOM-PA. Yes, I lost a total of $3500 to deposits but it was worth it because I am at a school that I love.

May I ask what is it that sold you on RVU over those other schools?

Thank you for offering to answer our questions btw :)

Anyone know if they are including a gym at the Utah campus? That's one thing I really liked at my other interviews (especially DMU and LECOM) was the availability of a nice gym on or near campus. I don't remember hearing anything about one, but I also never asked...

May I ask what is it that sold you on RVU over those other schools?

Thank you for offering to answer our questions btw :)

Top 3 reasons I chose RVU:
1. Being near a big city was important for me and my partner. Denver has a little bit of everything.
2. I liked the pre-clinical and clinical curriculum
- I liked how the pre-clinical curriculum was systems based with frequent testing.
- I liked how the clinical curriculum provided a very structured, intense 3rd year while giving students the time in 4th year to explore fields that interested them and, even, travel abroad to complete a global rotation
3. Class size. This was one of my top reasons. All the other schools I mentioned have class sizes over 200. I do better in smaller classes and wanted to attend a smaller school.

Last edited:
Accepted here w/ undergrad 3.2, graduate 3.7 (all science), 505 MCAT - applied OOS, living IS now. Top choice school so I will be attending! Can't wait to get started with all of you fellow 2021ers!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for taking the time to answer for me. How did the classes do on the USMLE?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I found a DO to shadow. Just submitted my primary AACOMAS so crossing my fingers :)

My status went from Applicant to File Complete.

Any indication on how long I need to wait from here on out to hopefully receive an II?

My status went from Applicant to File Complete.

Any indication on how long I need to wait from here on out to hopefully receive an II?

Admissions lady (can't remember her name) told me about a month after your file becomes complete!

Rejected pre-interview. I was a little shocked, but good luck to everyone else!!

I got an II today for CO but I'm not sure if I should go because I'm pretty low on funds and have an acceptance at DMU and an interview at KCU. Is there much difference between these programs or are they all pretty similar?

I just got an II for UT campus, complete 9/16 with 3.65 gpa and 507 mcat

I got an II today for CO but I'm not sure if I should go because I'm pretty low on funds and have an acceptance at DMU and an interview at KCU. Is there much difference between these programs or are they all pretty similar?

If I remember right from the interviews RVU's curriculum is very similar to KCU. DMU has a different style curriculum. I felt they were all very good at preparing their students for boards and in the same "tier" in my opinion.

RVU does have a cut suit for surgery simulation which is unique.

If I remember right from the interviews RVU's curriculum is very similar to KCU. DMU has a different style curriculum. I felt they were all very good at preparing their students for boards and in the same "tier" in my opinion.

RVU does have a cut suit for surgery simulation which is unique.

The cut suit really isn't that great. Very crude imitation of the real thing. RVU has plenty of good things going for it but no one should come here just for that.

Pretty similar. You'd be justified in saving money and sticking with those two programs if you don't feel any particular draw to RVU or Colorado. It's pretty cool here though. I'd recommend staying for a few days and making a ski trip out of it, but if funding is a problem then that's probably right out the window.

The cut suit really isn't that great. Very crude imitation of the real thing. RVU has plenty of good things going for it but no one should come here just for that.

Pretty similar. You'd be justified in saving money and sticking with those two programs if you don't feel any particular draw to RVU or Colorado. It's pretty cool here though. I'd recommend staying for a few days and making a ski trip out of it, but if funding is a problem then that's probably right out the window.
That's the one thing that was drawing me to go to this interview still, CO is absolutely beautiful and I love skiing (currently live about an hour from Tahoe). But yeah outside of that they all seem like excellent programs, RVU is just a little more expensive

Yeah I realize that it was just one of the unique things I could think of between the interview days. The guy on our tour said he hadn't even ever used it... is that more for the military track or do all students use it?

Are you leaning one way or the other? I'm on the same boat, with an interview at KCU coming up in December and an acceptance at UNECOM.

Are you leaning one way or the other? I'm on the same boat, with an interview at KCU coming up in December and an acceptance at UNECOM.
Me three. I'm still debating on cancelling (99% sure) my interview for next week. I really wanna see this school but doubt I will like it more than kcu.

I'm leaning towards cancelling it too, but I think I'll wait until I visit KCU.

I'm leaning towards cancelling it too, but I think I'll wait until I visit KCU.
I think ima die a little inside cancelling here....but money problems is a real thing :/

Yeah I realize that it was just one of the unique things I could think of between the interview days. The guy on our tour said he hadn't even ever used it... is that more for the military track or do all students use it?

The military track uses it way more often. They have everyone use it before the surgery rotation though.

I think ima die a little inside cancelling here....but money problems is a real thing :/

Lol agreed, these interviews are expensive. If you don't cancel it let me know how it compares to KCU.

Yeah I'm leaning towards canceling. I can't even schedule for any of the days available. I'll probably wait and see how I feel about KCU before actually withdrawing

Posted on here earlier, again I would advise not going to this school if you are an applicant. I'm a second year, and I absolute hate the people in my class of 2019. Some of them are good people but there are some really two-faced backstabbing people that are only out for themselves and not willing to reach out to struggling classmates, which is going on with one of my close friends with a particular clique of people. Lots of shady stuff going on behind the scenes with the administration and stuff too. It's just a very toxic environment that I would avoid if I were an applicant to this school that I wish had known in hindsight. Message me if you want more info

Accepted! Just got the call an hour and a half ago, interviewed on 11/9!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted as well! Interviewed 11/9. LizzyM 67. Any of the current students can I PM you some questions?

withdrew from my interview, hope someone else gets it

Can any current student talk about the ultrasound program and the fellowships in A/P and omm. Mainly what you've witnessed and your impressions about these.

Loved this school and the surrounding area! Didn't feel so hot about my interview so we'll see, hoping for the best!