Ross University May 2019 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering if anyone has any information about Michigan State Clinical Placements?
MSU
Min GPA: 2.5
Seats: 10
Allow one fail

Again, these stats could change in the next couple years, especially seat number.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone talk more about how phones work in st kitts? If we have an unlocked phone and use a sim card can we call other island phones? Is there any additional cost in order to use the sim card? Or is it pre-paid? Thanks!

Can someone talk more about how phones work in st kitts? If we have an unlocked phone and use a sim card can we call other island phones? Is there any additional cost in order to use the sim card? Or is it pre-paid? Thanks!

I am also interested in this. Will an international plan allow me to call home?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also interested in this. Will an international plan allow me to call home?

I’m going to talk to my provider (AT&T) about this later this week. Reading the Ross University Students Facebook page, it looks like several people sign up for international plans with their companies.

If you bring an unlocked phone, the school will give you a SIM card that has a certain amount of free minutes. After you use the minutes, you’ll have to purchase more to continue to use the phone. The island phone will let you call numbers only from the island. Some people use they’re regular phone with the SIM card and others will have a separate island phone.

T-mobile (and I believe some other companies) have free international plans so you can use your phone like normal. The only downside to this is you can’t call local numbers.

I have an island phone I’ve never bought minutes for and I’ve gotten by just fine without it. I just use WiFi from home and school. Most locals will have WhatsApp, which you can call and text from.

I’m going to talk to my provider (AT&T) about this later this week. Reading the Ross University Students Facebook page, it looks like several people sign up for international plans with their companies.
I have AT&T. As far as I know, it’s $10 a day for international. If you find out something different, let me know!

Hey guys, I want to apply to Ross but I have a problem. I did many withdrawals from my university over the years due to my fathers health. I had to take care of him. My grades aren’t the best. As of right now my gpa is a 2.9. I got a D in organic chemistry lab and a D in calc. I have a lot of W’s on my transcript so I’m a little worried. I do have a 503 MCAT. Do I need to get a C or higher in all pre reqs. Will I be fine if I apply?
You need at least a C on pre-reqs and I don’t believe they accept the MCAT, unless you’re talking about the medical school?

Heads up this is the pre-vet forum. I think you may have better luck asking this in the pre-medical forums (guessing you are premed and not prevet)
Omg.. I’m so sorry guys. This is awk. Lol

Where did you guys get your background report from? I was a little confused by the wording in the PPT, does it mean that only background checks that are requested via the internet work..? Just trying to figure that out, because I'm thinking I will have to get it through the DOJ then.

Where did you guys get your background report from? I was a little confused by the wording in the PPT, does it mean that only background checks that are requested via the internet work..? Just trying to figure that out, because I'm thinking I will have to get it through the DOJ then.
I got mine online, but had to go to the local police station for fingerprinting to complete it.

What color scrubs and coveralls do most people bring? Does it even matter? I haven't officially accepted my offer so i haven't gotten the packing list yet!

What color scrubs and coveralls do most people bring? Does it even matter? I haven't officially accepted my offer so i haven't gotten the packing list yet!
It doesn’t matter, except no green scrubs. Those are for surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if you can defer at Ross? And if so how long are you allowed to defer and how do you go about doing this? Thanks!

Has anyone had experience traveling with their pets in cargo and can share their experiences ?? I’ve never done it and I’m so nervous!!

Are there any current Ross students that could break down how clinical year works? For instance, if you start in a fall (September) class, when do you transfer to your new school for clinical year? And when are you done with clinical year? I've read the website a million times, but I am just wanting more specifics. Like, "you start clinical year in April after your 7th ross semester ends and finish clinicals the following April" or whatever it may be...... if that makes sense?

And also, this may be a dumb question, but what do you actually do during your clinical year? Do you rotate out of different hospitals or are you actually doing clinical-type of things at your school of choice?

I think my confusion comes from the fact that most US schools work on a different schedule than ross does. So I guess I don't understand how they will line our clinical year schedule up with a U.S. vet school class that is not on the same time table as us.

Are there any current Ross students that could break down how clinical year works? For instance, if you start in a fall (September) class, when do you transfer to your new school for clinical year? And when are you done with clinical year? I've read the website a million times, but I am just wanting more specifics. Like, "you start clinical year in April after your 7th ross semester ends and finish clinicals the following April" or whatever it may be...... if that makes sense?

And also, this may be a dumb question, but what do you actually do during your clinical year? Do you rotate out of different hospitals or are you actually doing clinical-type of things at your school of choice?

I think my confusion comes from the fact that most US schools work on a different schedule than ross does. So I guess I don't understand how they will line our clinical year schedule up with a U.S. vet school class that is not on the same time table as us.
You don't get "lined up" with the other classes unless it works out just perfectly. You finish 7th semester and generally have anywhere from a week to a month to get yourself moved to your clinical school before you start clinics, regardless of what time of year you finish 7th semester. While I was in clinics, there were 2 times during the year where we randomly got more island students because of the differences in scheduling between island and US schools. You do you clinical year for the equivalent of a year. So if you start clinics in January, you typically will finish around the following January. The process is such a well-oiled machine at this point. If you start at Ross in the September class, you'd start clinics after the Christmas Break, most likely the first or second week in January. You'd finish clinics the following January.

As far as what you're doing while you're in clinics-- you're rotating in and out of different areas within the hospital. Unless you're on externship or off-campus rotations, you'll be in either the small or large animal teaching hospitals. Rotations are usually 2-3 weeks long. For instance you'd be on maybe internal medicine rotation where that's all you do- you take in and work up internal medicine cases while caring for any inpatients that are on your service. Then you'd rotate to something like surgery or a large animal rotation.

Does that all make sense?

Reactions: 4 users
You don't get "lined up" with the other classes unless it works out just perfectly. You finish 7th semester and generally have anywhere from a week to a month to get yourself moved to your clinical school before you start clinics, regardless of what time of year you finish 7th semester. While I was in clinics, there were 2 times during the year where we randomly got more island students because of the differences in scheduling between island and US schools. You do you clinical year for the equivalent of a year. So if you start clinics in January, you typically will finish around the following January. The process is such a well-oiled machine at this point. If you start at Ross in the September class, you'd start clinics after the Christmas Break, most likely the first or second week in January. You'd finish clinics the following January.

As far as what you're doing while you're in clinics-- you're rotating in and out of different areas within the hospital. Unless you're on externship or off-campus rotations, you'll be in either the small or large animal teaching hospitals. Rotations are usually 2-3 weeks long. For instance you'd be on maybe internal medicine rotation where that's all you do- you take in and work up internal medicine cases while caring for any inpatients that are on your service. Then you'd rotate to something like surgery or a large animal rotation.

Does that all make sense?

Ohhhhh ok! Everything makes so much more sense now. I don't like jumping into things without knowing what I'm getting into so I definitely feel a lot better now. Thank you so much for answering!!

One last question that came to mind- do the current students who are also on rotations at the university tend to be "open armed" and kind to the Ross students? I'm just curious haha!

What books come loaded on the iPad? Are there any additional books that would be recommended to bring down or buy from upper classmen?

What books come loaded on the iPad? Are there any additional books that would be recommended to bring down or buy from upper classmen?
Buying a hardcopy of Guide to the Dissection of the Dog was helpful, but I believe they’re phasing out of using that book. Otherwise, I’ve rarely looked at any of the other books.

Ohhhhh ok! Everything makes so much more sense now. I don't like jumping into things without knowing what I'm getting into so I definitely feel a lot better now. Thank you so much for answering!!

One last question that came to mind- do the current students who are also on rotations at the university tend to be "open armed" and kind to the Ross students? I'm just curious haha!
In my experience (at Purdue) the students were wonderful all the time. They were super helpful and never acted like we were lesser or not as good. I think I started one rotation after the current class had started clinics and even though they were still getting the hang of things themselves, they always took time to help me if I needed to know where something was or how to do something.

If you start midway through the year, eventually you'll still be in clinics when the class below you starts clinics. You actually become super helpful for those students because now you're the only ones who are experienced in there and know what's going on.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard for Ross medical there is a final exam that needs to be written in order to leave the island before rotations start. If they fail they have to repeat their last semester. Is this true for Ross vet as well?

I heard for Ross medical there is a final exam that needs to be written in order to leave the island before rotations start. If they fail they have to repeat their last semester. Is this true for Ross vet as well?
I mean, you will have finals in 7th semester just like every other semester. You'll need to pass all your 7th semester classes obviously. But there isn't some giant "final exam" that you have to pass before leaving. Unless things have changed in 3 years.

Buying a hardcopy of Guide to the Dissection of the Dog was helpful, but I believe they’re phasing out of using that book. Otherwise, I’ve rarely looked at any of the other books.

Do you know what IPAD model we are given as our PawPad?

Hey guys! My app was missing the TOEFL score so I interviewed on Feb. 28 for the Fall term and got accepted yesterday (March 7th). Changed the start date today so I will be joining the May class. So excited to meet my classmates! How are you guys feeling? Less than 2 months left :soexcited:Is there a facebook group I could join or something?

Hey guys! My app was missing the TOEFL score so I interviewed on Feb. 28 for the Fall term and got accepted yesterday (March 7th). Changed the start date today so I will be joining the May class. So excited to meet my classmates! How are you guys feeling? Less than 2 months left :soexcited:Is there a facebook group I could join or something?

Yay congrats!! I’m in the May class as well! There’s a Facebook group—they’ll send it to you in an email within the next few days, but if you search “RUSVM Blue Semester: Class of 2022” you’ll find it :)

Hey Everyone! I just payed my seat deposit for the September 2019 Semester. Has anyone else confirmed their seat?! :)

Yay congrats!! I’m in the May class as well! There’s a Facebook group—they’ll send it to you in an email within the next few days, but if you search “RUSVM Blue Semester: Class of 2022” you’ll find it :)
Thanks for letting me know! I've joined :) Guess we'll be classmates come May. Don't know if you wanna talk about it since it's nice to know some people before getting there but my messages are open. I had the chance to go see the school last week and I can't wait to be there again.

Thanks for letting me know! I've joined :) Guess we'll be classmates come May. Don't know if you wanna talk about it since it's nice to know some people before getting there but my messages are open. I had the chance to go see the school last week and I can't wait to be there again.

Yay, awesome! I’m actually going in a couple days to visit—very excited!! And yeah, will send you a message :)

I am with ATT and when I asked them they said that the cheapest option is to list your phone as an "iPad/iPod" and just use the services off of Wifi. That is only $10 a month.

Has anyone else had trouble finding a notary for BC and passport copies that need mailing in?? I checked with my bank and at UPS, they wont notarize copies of federal documents...

Has anyone else had trouble finding a notary for BC and passport copies that need mailing in?? I checked with my bank and at UPS, they wont notarize copies of federal documents...
Passport copy I was able to get done at local UPS store, but they wouldn’t notarize my birth cert copy. I had to order an official copy of my birth cert from my home state and have it shipped to me. A lot of other people were having issues as well and were bringing it up in the class Facebook group.

Passport copy I was able to get done at local UPS store, but they wouldn’t notarize my birth cert copy. I had to order an official copy of my birth cert from my home state and have it shipped to me. A lot of other people were having issues as well and were bringing it up in the class Facebook group.
SO HELPFUL! Thank you! Did it take long to get your official copy? Also do you mind sharing what state you are from? I just read up that certain states may not even let UPS notarize passport copies! :arghh:

SO HELPFUL! Thank you! Did it take long to get your official copy? Also do you mind sharing what state you are from? I just read up that certain states may not even let UPS notarize passport copies! :arghh:
I’m from Florida—ahh yeah, I’ve heard that (that every state can be different :(). I think it took me about a week to get my official copy (I was born in PA). If you happen to live in the state you were born in I think it’s much easier and you can just drive and pick up a copy.

Update on accreditation: We are no longer deficient in Outcome Assessments, meaning we now are fully reaccredited.

Reactions: 4 users
Any current Ross student I can PM? I have a few questions to ask. Thanks! ;)

I’m just starting in a couple weeks, so I obviously don’t know everything yet but I’m happy to answer any questions I can (why I decided to attend, etc.) :)

Edit: I think I saw in the other thread that you’re a non-traditional student—I am too! :)