Ross University May 2019 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wondering how many prospects visited Ross before deciding. I am deciding if I should visit the school in March even though I was considering a May Start date. I just finished undergrad in December and not sure if I want some time off before starting the next part of the journey

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering how many prospects visited Ross before deciding. I am deciding if I should visit the school in March even though I was considering a May Start date. I just finished undergrad in December and not sure if I want some time off before starting the next part of the journey
The extremely vast majority do not.

Reactions: 1 user
The extremely vast majority do not.
Thanks for quick reply. I am deciding if I want to take advantage of the discount of going in May or wait a bit. I did the undergrad in 3 1/2 years (the college I went to had a fast track that had summer classes) and currently working two jobs. I am concern on reading the burnout posts that I may be rushing into this with only a 4-month break (if you can call it that) before starting it all over again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I am most likely attending Ross in the fall (can't believe I can finally say that on here!!) but I am slightly concerned about the current accreditation status. I know it has been addressed already a few posts ago and I hate to bring this up again... but if they aren't able to correct the issue while we are there and they lose accreditation would we then have to take the foreign examinations to practice in America? Or would we still graduate with the accreditation since they had it when we started? I know I'm probably just unnecessarily worried but this is the one factor causing me to hesitate before paying my deposit.

Hi everyone! I am most likely attending Ross in the fall (can't believe I can finally say that on here!!) but I am slightly concerned about the current accreditation status. I know it has been addressed already a few posts ago and I hate to bring this up again... but if they aren't able to correct the issue while we are there and they lose accreditation would we then have to take the foreign examinations to practice in America? Or would we still graduate with the accreditation since they had it when we started? I know I'm probably just unnecessarily worried but this is the one factor causing me to hesitate before paying my deposit.

I go back and forth on being concerned about this as well. LMU's vet school was recently placed under provisional accreditation as well (but eventually got full accreditation), and what I learned in that situation is that students are protected. If you attend a school that loses accreditation while you are there, you will finish your time at that school the same way you would if it were fully accredited. No extra exams, etc.. but the school is no longer able to accept any new students beyond that point and must close after the last class finishes up. I would also like to add that apparently several schools have been placed on provisional accreditation in the past for various reasons (Penn, UF, and a few more I think?). So I'm trying not to put *too* much stock behind it, but obviously it does affect the decision-making for lots of folks.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this!

LMU was on provisional accreditation while Ross is on probational (as well as other schools currently such as UPenn). They are two different things (at least to my understanding, feel free to correct me as well if I’m wrong ) Provisional accreditation is given to a new program that gives assurance that it is making progress in complying with AVMA standards for accreditation.

Ahhh ha you're right! So...... does anyone know about probational accreditation?

*also, I just emailed my new student coordinator to ask where I can get more info on this. Will update as I get information*

Reactions: 1 users
Ahhh ha you're right! So...... does anyone know about probational accreditation?

*also, I just emailed my new student coordinator to ask where I can get more info on this. Will update as I get information*

From what I've read about it, it basically means that they have 2 years to figure out a solution to their deficiency in student outcomes and if they are unable to resolve the issue by then they lose their accreditation. They also have to send reports every six months on how they are working to fix it. I think for American schools that can't fix the issues they then have to stop accepting students/ are shut down, but foreign schools it just means they lose their AVMA accreditation. This is just a brief summary from what I found on the AVMA website regarding it- it doesn't specify what happens to current students at foreign schools which is what I (and I am sure all of you as well) was hoping to find.

They have two years to fix the issue before losing accredition status. Based off of the reports on the AVMA site, it looks like Penn, Oklahoma, and Ross are all currently still on probationary status (the university in Mexico was accredited again in December).

I feel like procrastinating so here’s a bunch of info nobody asked for.

Common myths/misconceptions about the school:

- “Ross accepts three times as many students as a state school.” Not exactly true. The average class size is around 150, but my class is the biggest size by far at 200. It’s one of the things I strongly dislike about the program.

Do you mean the graduating class is 200 or each individual class is that large? I went to small undergrad school and my largest class was 40.
I am trying to avoid the extra expense of doing a visit at next months open house as I believe that Ross will be my only option at this point due to the fact I want to go someplace warm and UF rejected me this year (I was surprised because of my grades and hours of experience)

That’s just my semester. I believe the class under me is also pretty big.

I would go, you can always transfer if you hate it. I had/have zero regrets about having gone to ross!

Also, your coworkers are the exception not the rule. The main stigma out there about Rossies are better at certain things than US grads. The most common ones I heart were that we have better surgical skills and better client communications (since we take communications labs while most state schools do not). While I was in clinics I had many clinicians that would be like "WHERE IS THE ROSSIE because they're always better at [insert random surgical procedure/knowledge here]." I had no problem getting a job and had many competitive offers and other practices soliciting me. At my clinic 4 out of 10 doctors are from Ross.

Plus, if you're flexible on location SO many places are hiring, you will be able to find a job no matter where you go to school for that reason alone.
Side note: although a handful of people transfer, it’s not a guarantee. I tried to transfer with a 4.0 but wasn’t accepted because there were no open seats.

150601a_3_lg.gif
From what I've read about it, it basically means that they have 2 years to figure out a solution to their deficiency in student outcomes and if they are unable to resolve the issue by then they lose their accreditation. They also have to send reports every six months on how they are working to fix it. I think for American schools that can't fix the issues they then have to stop accepting students/ are shut down, but foreign schools it just means they lose their AVMA accreditation. This is just a brief summary from what I found on the AVMA website regarding it- it doesn't specify what happens to current students at foreign schools which is what I (and I am sure all of you as well) was hoping to find.

Caribbean schools could see impact from federal regulations
By Malinda Larkin

Posted May 13, 2015

Dr. Brendan Bergquist loved practically everything about his time at Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine in St. Kitts, West Indies. He says he received a great education, experienced a different lifestyle than he would have in the U.S., and met his closest friends. The one thing he didn’t enjoy: The fact that he left Ross with more than $300,000 in student debt after graduating in 2012. Currently, he’s working as a shelter veterinarian and making less than $70,000. He has since enrolled in an income-based repayment plan.
New federal regulations, which go into effect July 1, attempt to address concerns about the cost and quality of career education programs, specifically those offered by private for-profit institutions. The goal of the new rules from the Department of Education is to ensure that these institutions improve their outcomes for students—or risk losing access to federal student aid.

https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/150601a.aspx

So problem was ongoing since 2015 ?
Is this a different problem? Otherwise Ross risks to lose federal student aid but not its accreditation.

Last edited:

Of the

Sorry for not being clearer in my question.

Out of the 200 people in the graduating class, how many students are in the classroom at one time?

I saw the YouTube video where the lecture hall holds 180 but I can’t envision a lab holding that many.
I am looking at the average classroom size.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Of the

Sorry for not being clearer in my question.

Out of the 200 people in the graduating class, how many students are in the classroom at one time?

I saw the YouTube video where the lecture hall holds 180 but I can’t envision a lab holding that many.
I am looking at the average classroom size.

Thanks
We all have lecture at the same time, but our labs are split up into groups. When everyone comes to class, the lecture halls are barely big enough for us, but luckily not everyone comes to class.

Anatomy lab is split in half, so we have about 100 people per lab. There’s a group of four for each dog.

Clinical skills lab is about 25-30
Animal handling labs 5-15

What are the chances of getting your first choice school for clinical year? I'll have to live separate from my husband for a year if I don't get my IS school. I know that we can't have everything we want in life buttttttt I kinda wanna prepare myself (& him) if it's gonna be a long shot to get my first pick.

Also, what factors go into where you're placed?

What are the chances of getting your first choice school for clinical year? I'll have to live separate from my husband for a year if I don't get my IS school. I know that we can't have everything we want in life buttttttt I kinda wanna prepare myself (& him) if it's gonna be a long shot to get my first pick.

Also, what factors go into where you're placed?
You pick 4 schools, all of which are ranked equally. If the school is your in-state or you have a SO in that state, your chances of getting selected for that school are higher.

Schools select students mostly based off their GPA. Each school has minimum requirements to be selected and a certain number of seats available, usually ranging from 2-15. Some schools are more competitive than others, such as CSU.

What is your in-state? I can give you more specific information on that school.

You pick 4 schools, all of which are ranked equally. If the school is your in-state or you have a SO in that state, your chances of getting selected for that school are higher.

Schools select students mostly based off their GPA. Each school has minimum requirements to be selected and a certain number of seats available, usually ranging from 2-15. Some schools are more competitive than others, such as CSU.

Going to join in this convo as well lol—my IS is Florida, do you have any info on it?

Going to join in this convo as well lol—my IS is Florida, do you have any info on it?
This is information from last fall, so it’s possible things could change in the next couple years.

UF
Min GPA: 2.5
Seats: 15
Allow one fail

My IS is Tennessee!

UT
Min GPA: 2.35
Seats: 8
Allow one fail

Yikes, small # of seats seemingly

Thank you so much for posting this info!! When it comes to GPA.... what is a normal Ross vet student GPA? I feel like people normally have higher graduate level GPAs than they did in undergrad.. but I have no idea what is really considered "normal". I guess I'm wondering how hard it's going to be to get a super high GPA in order to be competitive for clinical year placement. *edit* and for residency competitiveness, life in general, etc. lol

Do

Do you know anything about requirements for Iowa State?

I don’t believe UT is a very competitive clinical school, and number of seats can always change.

I really couldn’t tell you the average GPA, but if I had to guess maybe a 3.0. There’s a handful of people who leave with a 4.0. The top clinical schools like CSU, Cornell, or Davis (equine only) generally take students with 3.8+ although their minimum GPA is lower.

So officially made the decision tonight to start in May instead of Sept. It’s a big change, but I’m excited (and maybe a little terrified haha) to be starting so soon. Anyone else starting in May??

Have you started on the packet they sent over yet? Having to be there by late April is stressful! :arghh:

Have you started on the packet they sent over yet? Having to be there by late April is stressful! :arghh:

I haven’t gotten it yet (which has me really stressed out haha), but my friend committed just a couple days before me and got hers Friday so I’m hoping mine comes soon! I found the health requirements and visa requirements online so I made my doctor’s appointment for in a couple weeks and have been getting stuff together.

My two cats are coming with me as well so I’ve been getting their rabies titers started and their paperwork together, which has been stressing me out the most of all lol.

I haven’t gotten it yet (which has me really stressed out haha), but my friend committed just a couple days before me and got hers Friday so I’m hoping mine comes soon! I found the health requirements and visa requirements online so I made my doctor’s appointment for in a couple weeks and have been getting stuff together.

My two cats are coming with me as well so I’ve been getting their rabies titers started and their paperwork together, which has been stressing me out the most of all lol.

Oh wow! At least you're able to get started on some things.
Since you're bringing 2 pets does that mean you aren't able to choose their student housing?

*edit* I'm so torn...but I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and commit to Ross.

I'm starting in May! I committed Friday and already ordered my white coat and dod my housing application! I'm so excited!

I'm starting in May! I committed Friday and already ordered my white coat and dod my housing application! I'm so excited!

They said as long as you keep them updated about your paperwork for the student Visa you should be all set. We wouldnt be able to meet the deadline since its suppose to be in by March 1dt.

Yay excited to meet you!! :) Where did you find the info for ordering your white coat, was it in your welcome packet, or did they email you about it?

Oh wow! At least you're able to get started on some things.
Since you're bringing 2 pets does that mean you aren't able to choose their student housing?

*edit* I'm so torn...but I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and commit to Ross.

Yep, wasn’t able to stay in on campus housing, but found a nice apartment in the Frigate Bay Area through Ross—just signed the lease and submitted my deposit actually! I’m planning on using the shuttle for the first few weeks or semester until I buy a car.

Yep, wasn’t able to stay in on campus housing, but found a nice apartment in the Frigate Bay Area through Ross—just signed the lease and submitted my deposit actually! I’m planning on using the shuttle for the first few weeks or semester until I buy a car.
Did you use the housing site on myross to find it? Was it pretty easy getting the deposit in and signing the lease??

Did you use the housing site on myross to find it? Was it pretty easy getting the deposit in and signing the lease??

Yep, I did! And it was pretty easy, you can send the landlord a message through the Ross site. They responded to me the next day and after some emailing back and forth, they sent me the lease and I wired the deposit a couple days later.

Anybody who is taking a dog with them- do you know more about the quarantine process? Is a fenced yard really necessary or is leash walking acceptable?

Anybody who is taking a dog with them- do you know more about the quarantine process? Is a fenced yard really necessary or is leash walking acceptable?

Don’t have a dog, but have been obsessively researching stuff lol as I’m bringing my two cats down with me. So according to the paperwork/permit you have to file (google APHIS St Kitts and the site will pop up, then click on the apply for permit section to view), 30 day quarantine period at home only. Dogs have to have fenced in yard and apartment/home has to have other measures too, like screened in windows. They’re not supposed to be taken off your property during the time unless there’s a medical emergency. You technically can be visited a few times during the course of the month and then they’re supposed to come out at the end of quarantine period. Talking with other students online it sounds like sometimes they’ll come at the end of the quarantine period, sometimes not, but I would be on the safe side and follow all of the quarantine instructions.

If you’re living on campus, the apartments meet the quarantine requirements. If living off campus, you just have to make sure they do. On the Ross housing page where you search for apartments, they’ll usually say whether they meet the quarantine requirement or not. Hope that helps some!

Was recently accepted for starting in May of 2019! I'm still waiting to hear from many other schools but am pretty excited about Ross!!! Anyone else thinking of going there in May or September of next year?
Hey!! Congrats on getting in. I will also be attending for May 2019!!! I’m pretty excited. So much to plan and so little time. Who else will be there? o_O

Are there any students that stay during December break to watch pets? Or do most people travel back and forth with their pets?

Are there any students that stay during December break to watch pets? Or do most people travel back and forth with their pets?

I think there usually are. I think it’s a little hard to travel with your pet back and forth because of the rabies titers.

Can someone talk about finances? If FAFSA only disburses twice a year but Ross works on a three semester a year system how does that work?

I was wondering if anyone has any information about Michigan State Clinical Placements?