This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor-who

UC Davis c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Starting it off for the new cycle!

I would love to apply to RVC this round, but noticed that on their website they say 4 semester units = 7 quarter units, which is different from the usual (4 sem = 6 qtr). I can really try to stretch some of the courses I've taken (I have completed 4 years of courses and obtained my Bachelors) but wanted to ask first if anyone here had experience with applying to RVC with courses from a quarter system. My friend who went to the same undergrad as I did emailed them and they said they'll "most likely let the conversion slide," which is still an ambiguous answer. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Also I'm pretty stuck on the essay asking for us to describe someone who complements us!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview invite for Philly today! Woo-hoo! Does anybody have any info about what percentage of applicants get an interview or any admissions statistics in general? Especially concerning international/US students?

Reactions: 2 users
OtterBot I also got my interview request this morning! I'm excited and nervous. Would also love to hear about the stats for interview and admissions for internationals. If anyone has any tips or anything that would be amazing (they just tell us that it's a MMI format).

OtterBot I also got my interview request this morning! I'm excited and nervous. Would also love to hear about the stats for interview and admissions for internationals. If anyone has any tips or anything that would be amazing (they just tell us that it's a MMI format).
Was your invite also for Philly?

Hello,

Just out of curiosity I was wondering if anyone applying from the US for in this year’s 2019 veterinary school application cycle has gotten any interview invitations front RVC London? I got an emails late September/ early October notifying applicants about US locations and dates of interview, but haven’t gotten an interview invite yet. It’s my first time applying to veterianry school, so is this normal? When you have applied about how long did it take you to hear back?

For those who got invites for Philly, did the email mention the letters of rec for the 70 hrs of vet experience and 70 hrs of animal experience again? Was it personalized (such as, "You, applicant, need to verify these hours") or was it just like "Just in case, please bring letters to verify your experience hours." What else did the email tell you to bring?

Reactions: 1 user
I just received an invite to interview for the 5 year program! It said there will be another email to follow with details, but I assume this is for the LA interviews as I live in the Seattle area!

I got an invite to the LA interviews for the 5 year program this morning too! Does anyone know what the ratio typically is for international vs UK students in the 5 year program?

For those who got invites for Philly, did the email mention the letters of rec for the 70 hrs of vet experience and 70 hrs of animal experience again? Was it personalized (such as, "You, applicant, need to verify these hours") or was it just like "Just in case, please bring letters to verify your experience hours." What else did the email tell you to bring?

Yes, they mentioned interview documentation needed before the interview. In my email, they provided an application portal with a username and password. On the portal, you can upload letters of recommendation and additional info. On mine, the veterinary experience had been marked as verified so I only needed to submit the animal experience 70hrs. They also provided an example of the LOR which was extremely helpful.

Hope this helps!

Yes, they mentioned interview documentation needed before the interview. In my email, they provided an application portal with a username and password. On the portal, you can upload letters of recommendation and additional info. On mine, the veterinary experience had been marked as verified so I only needed to submit the animal experience 70hrs. They also provided an example of the LOR which was extremely helpful.

Hope this helps!
But I don’t feel like it was clear if you need to get the prerequisite docs for the animal experience 70hrs before the interview. How it sounded was that we needed them if we got an offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
The confirmation email I received from them on September 19th makes it sound like the eLORs are required for the interview:

"Please be aware that if you are selected for interview you will be required to bring with you your passport. You should also seek to obtain references (letters of recommendation) for 70 hours veterinary clinical experience and 70 hours in other live-animal working environments occurring from March in the year before application, if these were not already provided via VMCAS, as they may be required during the application process."

As a side note, one of my eLOR writers on VMCAS was a vet I worked for for 1500 hours beginning August 2018, but they are still asking me to submit another letter from a vet verifying 70 hours since March 2018. Anybody else have this discrepancy?

The confirmation email I received from them on September 19th makes it sound like the eLORs are required for the interview:

As a side note, one of my eLOR writers on VMCAS was a vet I worked for for 1500 hours beginning August 2018, but they are still asking me to submit another letter from a vet verifying 70 hours since March 2018. Anybody else have this discrepancy?
On my portal it says I have completed the 70 hr vet experience requirement on my portal. I guess because on the supplemental sheet I said Yes that the vet places I worked wrote me a recommendation they counted that as fulfilling the requirement. But for the 70hrs non vet animal experience I did not put a VMCAS recommendation down so I still have to get proof of that.

I had the same problem, I'm assuming it must be something to do with the content of the original eLOR? I'm sure my boss didn't put an exact number of hours and that's really what they seem to be looking for in the reference letter. But who knows.

what does "animal experience" entail? I have been working as a full-time veterinary assistant for two years now and not sure if my animal experience outside the hospital counts.

what does "animal experience" entail? I have been working as a full-time veterinary assistant for two years now and not sure if my animal experience outside the hospital counts.
I don't know if this has changed in the last three years, but for me I needed a letter from the vet I worked with for vet hours (I think I just gave them her LOR) and then a separate letter from a barn manager at my undergrad where I did independent studies training horses for animal hours. They are big on animal experience not being the same as vet experience, even once you're here.

If you have somewhere you've volunteered or maybe dog-sitting, grooming, etc... they want husbandry stuff more than vet stuff for the animal experience.

Yep! eLORs are needed before the interview. I asked after I submitted my application because I was also confused ;)

Wish I could go! I got my interview invite on Monday and I can't afford the flight right now wish you all the best of luck.

Hi there! I met up with a graduate of RVC last night and she mentioned that at the interview there would be a little more information about how our applications are processed. Apparently, it's all pretty vague but it sounds like if you've made it this far everyone has a pretty fair chance of getting in, regardless of the grades we applied with! However, this was four years ago for her so the information may be outdated so if anyone has any more info on the exact selection process it is welcome!

In response to the questions about vet experience vs animal experience, they basically want you to have some sort of work experience that is not in a veterinary clinical setting. For example, I worked at my university's dairy barn for a few weeks under supervision of a manger rather than a veterinarian.

I will be in Philly this weekend for the interviews if anyone would like to meet up and de-stress Saturday night before the big day (my interview is sunday 10th)!

Hi there! I met up with a graduate of RVC last night and she mentioned that at the interview there would be a little more information about how our applications are processed. Apparently, it's all pretty vague but it sounds like if you've made it this far everyone has a pretty fair chance of getting in, regardless of the grades we applied with! However, this was four years ago for her so the information may be outdated so if anyone has any more info on the exact selection process it is welcome!

In response to the questions about vet experience vs animal experience, they basically want you to have some sort of work experience that is not in a veterinary clinical setting. For example, I worked at my university's dairy barn for a few weeks under supervision of a manger rather than a veterinarian.

I will be in Philly this weekend for the interviews if anyone would like to meet up and de-stress Saturday night before the big day (my interview is sunday 10th)!
I didn’t realize that they had an interview date on the 10th! My interview is Monday the 11th so sadly we will miss each other. Have a great interview and hope for the best that maybe we can be classmates?

To add to my previous post, I've found this on an RVC Selection Process document:

"Scores from the pre-interview assessment are not carried forward but may be considered in the event we need to differentiate between candidates with the same interview score."

Good luck everyone :)

To add to my previous post, I've found this on an RVC Selection Process document:

"Scores from the pre-interview assessment are not carried forward but may be considered in the event we need to differentiate between candidates with the same interview score."

Good luck everyone :)
That makes me more nervous. The interview counts for so much it seems

That makes me more nervous. The interview counts for so much it seems

Sorry i didn't mean to make you feel more nervous! But if it makes you feel any better, i've done the MMIs before (and other interviews) and my best advice would really be to have fun and not overthink it too much. Just be genuine and enjoy yourself because whatever will be will be and confidence goes a long way!

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe this is a stupid question, but the MMI is inherently closed file, right?

I had my interview in Philly last week, there was an initial info session, group activity and MMIs. It was a pretty relaxed environment, everyone was very nice and welcoming, the best way to approach this format of interviewing is to answer the question to the best of your ability and then take the interviewer through your thought process as to how you came to your conclusion (very important). Sometimes drawing form your personal experiences can help a lot, especially if your mind goes blank very quickly when you're nervous. For most vet school MMIs you're given multiple stations (usually 5-8) and a question to review for 1-2 min and then give your answer to the interviewer for about 5 min. You shouldn't need any documents or materials to answer these other than what is given to you. Most questions provided by schools are scenario-based to determine your thought process, reasoning, ability to adapt in difficult situations, and overall ability to communicate with others.

I have been juggling other school commitments along with all the interviews, so I had not been checking my RVC portal much after my interview.

Did anyone else upload their documents (passport and LORs) before their interview and have yet to see it change to an "accepted" status (instead of "uploaded")? I knew it was going to take them a while to review the documents, but my interview was on 11/9, and it's been more than a month.

I have sent them an email asking about the status, but I am wondering if anyone is experiencing the same thing.

Yes! My passport is still "uploaded" only. But my LORs have been accepted.. I was wondering about this too

Mine showed accepted, but maybe it is the format you are uploading? I used a png format...not sure if that makes a difference

I'm the opposite! My passport is "accepted" but both of my LOR say "uploaded" :/

My passport was accepted only a few weeks after I uploaded. But my evidence of other animal experience is only listed as uploaded

I have been juggling other school commitments along with all the interviews, so I had not been checking my RVC portal much after my interview.

Did anyone else upload their documents (passport and LORs) before their interview and have yet to see it change to an "accepted" status (instead of "uploaded")? I knew it was going to take them a while to review the documents, but my interview was on 11/9, and it's been more than a month.

I have sent them an email asking about the status, but I am wondering if anyone is experiencing the same thing.

Did admissions get back to you about this? wondering if I should re-scan my passport or something?

What are some things others have used as “other animal experience?” I have dog sat and I have a plethora of animals I house and care for (my personal animals) , but how have others put together their letters?

What are some things others have used as “other animal experience?” I have dog sat and I have a plethora of animals I house and care for (my personal animals) , but how have others put together their letters?
It’s pretty much any animal experience that does not involve a vet. For example, I’ve run support group where individuals had support animals with them. Most schools don’t count your own animals as an experience for this though.

Does anyone know when we'll hear about acceptances/denials? Last year I think it was before Christmas.

Does anyone know when we'll hear about acceptances/denials? Last year I think it was before Christmas.
At the interview I believe they said we won't hear until February, once they've concluded all interviews. The little handbook they passed out at the interview also says something along those lines, I just don't have mine handy.

At the interview I believe they said we won't hear until February, once they've concluded all interviews. The little handbook they passed out at the interview also says something along those lines, I just don't have mine handy.

Oh geez! Okay thank you!!

Someone did tell me they sometimes send out a batch before Christmas which means.. some people might hear today. Eeeeeee!

It’s pretty much any animal experience that does not involve a vet. For example, I’ve run support group where individuals had support animals with them. Most schools don’t count your own animals as an experience for this though.
Okay cool! So I’ve helped with husbandry/caring for horses at a farm so I can use that!! Thanks!!!

Someone did tell me they sometimes send out a batch before Christmas which means.. some people might hear today. Eeeeeee!
One more day of UK interviews to do in early January, then some in Singapore, so I guess some offers might come out towards the end of Jan (if not before) - it's a busy time of year :)

What they told us at our interview a month ago, we should hear back between mid January and mid February

Did admissions get back to you about this? wondering if I should re-scan my passport or something?
They finally got back to me! Said that they were sorry for the delay and approved my doc. I think they are still in the process of reviewing everyone’s documents, so maybe just wait a little longer if you believe there is nothing wrong with yours?

I hope they would contact us if there were any problems with what we uploaded. I don’t want to keep checking the portal.

anyone heard anything as to when they might be possibly sending out decisions?

i think it's any day now. But I also thought some would hear pre-Christmas so maybe I'm just an unrealistic optimist.. would be down to stop freaking out though! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited: Yeehaw

i think it's any day now. But I also thought some would here pre-Christmas so maybe I'm just an unrealistic optimist.. would be down to stop freaking out though! Yeehaw

Agreed! My nerves are fried! Yeehaw, indeed!

Though, some of our fellow SDNers mentioned above that we might not be hearing until February since they still have more interviews to conduct? Or have only just concluded them?