RVU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FYI, c/o 2013 Comlex I passr ate: 97.32%; national average about 92% :)

Members don't see this ad.

FYI, c/o 2013 Comlex I passr ate: 97.32%; national average about 92% :)

As much as I like RVU as one of my top choices, this ain't got no citation!

Edit: found it, it's an email from the Dean in earlier posts, but it says 99%. Where'd you get these from, just wondering?

Last edited:
As much as I like RVU as one of my top choices, this ain't got no citation!

Edit: found it, it's an email from the Dean in earlier posts, but it says 99%. Where'd you get these from, just wondering?

It was from a school wide email from Dr. Dubin. The previous email you referred to was also from Dr. Dubin but that was with only 90% reporting; RVU (like several schools) makes the bottom 10% of the class take their boards later to give them as much time as possible to study and give the the best shot at passing. Now we have their scores too, and only 4 of the bottom 10% of 2013 failed step 1. They will likely pass on the second go. :xf: for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to share info on their interview experience at RVUCOM?

Can someone please post the link for the status page? I seem to have lost it. thanks

Brownco, the interview was very conversational and nearly every question came striate from my file. You will most likely really like your experience at RVU. The students seem very happy and the faculty and staff are very very nice, not to mention their state of the art facilities. The first thing they told us was to relax because being selected to interview at RVU meant they already really like you and the purpose of the interview was for us to make sure we "fit" the environment at RVU and for them to make sure we aren't weird. She said they accept over 90% of the people they interview. So just relax and show them who you really are and that you know why you want to be a D.O. and you will be fine. I didn't quite know what to expect after reading all the garbage about RVU on SDN, but I left very impressed and RVU is now in my top three.

Anyone else going nuts waiting for a decision to be made by the admissions committee on Thursday?!!!

Brownco, the interview was very conversational and nearly every question came striate from my file. You will most likely really like your experience at RVU. The students seem very happy and the faculty and staff are very very nice, not to mention their state of the art facilities. The first thing they told us was to relax because being selected to interview at RVU meant they already really like you and the purpose of the interview was for us to make sure we “fit” the environment at RVU and for them to make sure we aren’t weird. She said they accept over 90% of the people they interview. So just relax and show them who you really are and that you know why you want to be a D.O. and you will be fine. I didn’t quite know what to expect after reading all the garbage about RVU on SDN, but I left very impressed and RVU is now in my top three.

Anyone else going nuts waiting for a decision to be made by the admissions committee on Thursday?!!!

Thank you very much for your reply. Would you be willing to elaborate any more on how it was straight from your file? How would you suggest I prepare for my interview?

Thank you so much!

I interview on Oct 11. I am pumped and excited! Colorado is a wonderful place and from my research this school seems to be wonderful also.

The Higher Learning Commission visited RVU just recently (9/12-9/14) What was the outcome? Has anyone heard anything?

Thanks!

Accepted!!!!!

(I just checked on the portal)

:laugh::laugh:Accepted!!!!!I'm going to be a Doctor!!!!!!!:clap::banana::banana:

Members don't see this ad :)
The Higher Learning Commission visited RVU just recently (9/12-9/14) What was the outcome? Has anyone heard anything?

Thanks!

Shoot I deleted the email from the dean that he sent following the visit, so I can't give you specifics. Generally, they were very impressed and had great things to say about RVU.

Did you all get phone calls?
No I have not recived any phone calls yet all though we were told they would call us today as well. Congratulations every one!!! And good luck to those of you still waiting!

How did you find put you were accepted and what day did you interview if you don't mind me asking

:DACCEPTED!:D

Interviewed 9/22, no phone call yet, found out through the portal

I am logged in on the portal but I don't see where I go to see if I'm accepted or not

Thank you very much for your reply. Would you be willing to elaborate any more on how it was straight from your file? How would you suggest I prepare for my interview?

No problem, all my questions but one originated from my file, for example one interviewer said, "You say in you personal statement that the principals of Osteopathic medicine perfectly describe the type of physician you want to become, what are the principals that you are referring to and how would you apply them as a physician? other questions were like, I can see that you have had a large exposure to medicine through family illnesses and caring for your family members, why do you want to be a physician over other careers in the medical field that you were exposed to? My advise as to how to prepare would be to go over your personal statement and secondary essays and think of questions based of it that you might be asked and practice your answers. Also know why you want to be an Osteopathic physician they might not come out and say why DO but they will ask it one way or another. Your interviewers will NOT have your MCAT or GPA information, but they will know when you started and finished at each school you have attended so if you have any extended time gaps they might ask you about them. You also might get a ethical question or one about health care reform so no the basics and have a position on topics such as what should and shouldn't be covered, what would you change about it...ect. Just relax show them the real you and you will nail it! good luck...

Oh and by the way cwaranch I just got the phone call so I assume that everyone will also be getting one today.

Shoot I deleted the email from the dean that he sent following the visit, so I can't give you specifics. Generally, they were very impressed and had great things to say about RVU.

Thanks for responding. Let us know more if and when you find out.

Thanks!

Was there anything specific you were looking to hear?

Just wanted to know how the visit went in terms of the school's potential for gaining full accreditation. When do you think you guys will find out?

Just wanted to know how the visit went in terms of the school's potential for gaining full accreditation. When do you think you guys will find out?

So here is the deal with the HLC visit. I asked them straight forward questions about all of this and this is the response from the Lady that headed up the Visit.

The HLC visit was for Candidacy to become fully accredited. We should find out if we are selected as a Candidate sometime next year, February or March of 2012. If we are selected we become a Candidate for full Regional accreditation and then after Candidacy has been established the road to full accreditation is about another 4 years where the HLC comes back at 2 years post Candidacy and then 2 years again to establish full regional accreditation. The committee felt that the visit was going well and the administration did so also. We feel very confident that we wil be come a Candidate this next Feb/March.

The Lady admitted that she had no idea if Candidacy status would help the school out for Title 4 loans or other Government Aid.

But also lets not forget about COCA accreditation. Thats should come through shortly after the first class graduates and that is this next year 2012.

Hope this helps.

So here is the deal with the HLC visit. I asked them straight forward questions about all of this and this is the response from the Lady that headed up the Visit.

The HLC visit was for Candidacy to become fully accredited. We should find out if we are selected as a Candidate sometime next year, February or March of 2012. If we are selected we become a Candidate for full Regional accreditation and then after Candidacy has been established the road to full accreditation is about another 4 years where the HLC comes back at 2 years post Candidacy and then 2 years again to establish full regional accreditation. The committee felt that the visit was going well and the administration did so also. We feel very confident that we will become a Candidate this next Feb/March.

The Lady admitted that she had no idea if Candidacy status would help the school out for Title 4 loans or other Government Aid.

But also lets not forget about COCA accreditation. That should come through shortly after the first class graduates and that is this next year 2012.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for the information. My main concern is Title IV eligibility. Looks like it is still uncertain if it will be available for the class entering fall 2013.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

My file was complete 9/23 and I still haven't heard back. Is anyone else in a similar position? Not sure if it is still early or if there is a reason I haven't gotten a reply. Thanks,

Hey guys,

I withdrew my application from RVUCOM.
This opens up an interview slot for this Friday (10/7).
Anyone who wants a last-minute change, go snag it.

Good luck to all applying here!

Anyone interviewing 10/11? I'll be one of the ambassadors for that group :)

Hey Bones,

I wanted to know if one can shadow a DO or volunteer at the school clinic?

Thnx!

I'll be there, sooo looking forward to it :). Flying in from OOS for two nights. Wondering what are the places in/around Parker that I should check out. Where do students like to live and hang out?

Thanks

Hey Bones,

I wanted to know if one can shadow a DO or volunteer at the school clinic?

Thnx!

I'm not Bones, but I have shadowed two different DO's at the clinic there. The clinic itself wasn't very busy, so one of the DO's had me shadow him at a local hospital that he works as a hospitalist at. Just contact their office and they'll set you up.

I'll be there, sooo looking forward to it :). Flying in from OOS for two nights. Wondering what are the places in/around Parker that I should check out. Where do students like to live and hang out?

Thanks

This is what I used to find an apartment:

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Colorado/Parker/10-miles/

I live in parker hilltop, which is considered by some to be a "far" commute of 15 minutes. There are several closer options, but I just liked the layout of the apartments here better than the other 8 places I looked at. The mall that is closest to school is Park Meadows, it's very nice:

http://www.parkmeadows.com/directory

There is not much time for hanging out during the school year, but we do occasionally gather at a club or bar in Denver (location generally varries). Usually we ride the light rail in, but again this is rare. Some people choose to go skiing once in a while, but based on the injuries I've seen novice skiers in my class sustain, I have opted to avoid it thus far.

Where are you flying in from?

I'm not Bones, but I have shadowed two different DO's at the clinic there. The clinic itself wasn't very busy, so one of the DO's had me shadow him at a local hospital that he works as a hospitalist at. Just contact their office and they'll set you up.

:thumbup::thumbup: All the docs at the clinic are open to shadowers. The clinic was actually pretty busy when I shadowed there, but it depends on when you hit them.

This is what I used to find an apartment:

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Colorado/Parker/10-miles/

I live in parker hilltop, which is considered by some to be a "far" commute of 15 minutes. There are several closer options, but I just liked the layout of the apartments here better than the other 8 places I looked at. The mall that is closest to school is Park Meadows, it's very nice:

http://www.parkmeadows.com/directory

There is not much time for hanging out during the school year, but we do occasionally gather at a club or bar in Denver (location generally varries). Usually we ride the light rail in, but again this is rare. Some people choose to go skiing once in a while, but based on the injuries I've seen novice skiers in my class sustain, I have opted to avoid it thus far.

Where are you flying in from?

Thanks for the lead on apartments. Will definitely check them out once I tour the area. Me, i'm flying in from Michigan.

On the day of the interview they gave us this information:

Class of 2015 (3550 applicants)
161 students matriculated (4.5% of applicant pool)
Mean Age: 26 (range: 22-48)
cGPA: 3.49
sGPA: 3.44
Avg. MCAT: 26.68

Male: 91 Female: 70

White: 130 Hispanic: 10 African-American: 1 Native American: 1 Asian: 5 Multiple Races: 9 Unknown 3

Top Feeder Schools
University of Colorado 15 (CU-Boulder-11 CU-Denver-4)
Colorado State 13
University of Denver: 5
Colorado College: 4
University of Florida: 4

33 States are represented
1) Colorado 53
2) California: 13
3) Utah: 9
4) Minnesota: 9
5) Nebraska: 7
6) Texas: 7
7) Kansas: 6
8) Illinois: 5
9) Washington: 5

Highest Degree Earned:
Bachelors: 130
Masters: 28
Professional/Doctoral: 3

Thank you very much. This is good to know. I'll contact them and set something up. :)

Bones DO said:
All the docs at the clinic are open to shadowers. The clinic was actually pretty busy when I shadowed there, but it depends on when you hit them.

Thnx Bones!

Thanks

Some of the apartments that are close to the school that I know of people living at are: Stone Canyon/Windrock (two names for the same place), Cherrywood/Ranchstone (again, same), and Windsor at the Meridian.

Places in/around Parker to check out... this is an interesting question. Parker itself isn't really a place to see things. But go check out Main Street (a few restaurants, a park), there's all sorts of food shopping on arapahoe and parker (huge intersection), there's a trail along the river that goes through Parker that is nice to walk/ride bikes on, and outside of that, go into Denver and you can see anything.

Have a good trip!

If you go North to Aurora, there are good apartments around the Arapahoe/Parker Road areas, and there are good restaurants in that area as well. Parker/Aurora aren't really known for attractions or nightlife, but there are reasonable and good restaurants in that area...

My letter writers has sent their letters last week and I checked the online portal to check the status on letter. But, there was none as of today. Will the letters that are received appear on the online portal site in which we submitted the supplemental application?

My letter writers has sent their letters last week and I checked the online portal to check the status on letter. But, there was none as of today. Will the letters that are received appear on the online portal site in which we submitted the supplemental application?

RVU was closed yesterday for Columbus Day. I believe they will show up online, but you can always call and ask.

RVU was closed yesterday for Columbus Day. I believe they will show up online, but you can always call and ask.

Okay. Now, my application is complete. From your previous experience, how long did it take for you to hear anything about interview decision after the file is ready to be reviewed? Thanks.

Same questions as WaterDragon: file was complete as of 8/30. Generally speaking, how long until we hear anything? Any info would be awesome.

You know, I don't remember exactly. I think it only took two or three weeks for me to get a decision, but I had completed my applications super early. I would just call and talk to Julie or Katy in admissions and see what you're looking at based on when you were complete. They're great.

you probably should have put that in the med student class specific threads...

Same questions as WaterDragon: file was complete as of 8/30. Generally speaking, how long until we hear anything? Any info would be awesome.

Wow, your file was completed more than a month before than mine was and you still haven't heard anything from them yet? I would just call them what is up with your file. Because you should have heard something from them after a month period. Mine was complete this week with all letters received. So, obviously, it will take at least a month for me. I contacted them and they said it really depends on the availability of the Director's of admission who does the review. So, I don't really know how long this review process will take. But, I would always keep in touch with the admission office.

Yeah, mountainbound, you should definitely give them a call. If something was not received or misplaced, you will be waiting a very long time.

Brocimus, I am from Arizona and I really want to go RVU since I love the weather in Colorado. Does RVU-COM accept out of state students at a decent rate? Also, after you are invited to the interview, what is your chance to get matriculated?