RVUCOM vs. NOVA vs. ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

totosama

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm lucky to have several acceptances in this cycle and my decision narrowed down to these three schools. I think they are all great schools and I'm having a difficult time selecting among these three..

I'm just wondering what you guys think about these choices.. Any opinions or information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Personally? Nova.

East Coast. Great reputation. Well known in parts of the Northeast. I've seen people contemplate a Nova acceptance over a Northeast DO school acceptance. Beautiful campus and one of my closest friends lives in Florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd do RVU because their curriculum is top notch and they're match list is impressive. Also you can't beat Denver

I'm a SOMA grad, I was extremely happy with my education and experience there. Would go again without hesitation.

Reactions: 1 user
If I was in your shoes, I'd probably go with Nova. The School has a HUGE endowment that they use to recruit top faculty and update facilities. The school is also attached to a huge university that most people in Florida at least recognize. They also have a very well established OPTI in the state. Also, south Florida is awesome. It also has the best clinical sites of any of the three schools you mentioned.

For ATSU SOMA, do your research about the school's CHC program. If you like it, go for it. It's the cheapest option and the school sends kids to diverse residencies every year.

RVU did really well last year on the boards after implementing their new curriculum. 2nd highest score and 100% pass rate. Also, Denver is awesome! They also prepare and require you to take the USMLE, so when the merge comes around, I think it'll help a lot.

RVU did really well last year on the boards after implementing their new curriculum. 2nd highest score and 100% pass rate. Also, Denver is awesome! They also prepare and require you to take the USMLE, so when the merge comes around, I think it'll help a lot.

Couldn't agree more especially after experiencing it all myself. The dean offered some speculation that the merger might lead to a 'merging of the exams' and that's one of the reasons they require students to take the USMLE as well. I heard this from a student who told me by the time I was in med school I'd only have to take the USMLE, but that was the first time hearing it from a higher up at a med school.

Just curious, but who was #1 for boards?

And just in case the OP is still deciding: the only thing that I can add is that there are some good hospitals in South Florida that are very receptive towards Nova students. You should find some great opportunities there, in terms of rotations and residency placements. Also, there's a lot of fun to be had in South Florida.