Program-Specific Info / Q's San Jose State MSOT Fall 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone think they are still giving out acceptances? Or know when they will send out rejection letters? Thanks! This has been a very long process.

Very very very long process!!! :beat:

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone had any luck in finding a cadaver course? I have been looking around and I cannot find anything. Plus, Stanford has not been getting back to me about their 6 hour cadaver tutorial... Getting a little nervous about that

Has anyone had any luck in finding a cadaver course? I have been looking around and I cannot find anything. Plus, Stanford has not been getting back to me about their 6 hour cadaver tutorial... Getting a little nervous about that

West Valley College in Saratoga, CA has an anatomy course with cadaver. It's a great class! Lots of work but I highly recommend. It's a highly sought after class though, so register as soon as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could any of you who were accepted tell us how long you had to accept or reject your offer? Just wondering if a new wave of acceptances might be going out anytime soon.

Could any of you who were accepted tell us how long you had to accept or reject your offer? Just wondering if a new wave of acceptances might be going out anytime soon.

For me, there wasn't a specific date. Just by mid April.

For me, there wasn't a specific date. Just by mid April.
Thanks, that might mean a new bunch will go out soon. I would imagine not EVERYONE in the first round has chosen SJSU for their first choice...and we know the delay in acceptances caused some who might have chosen San Jose to accept their offer and start at CSUDH. Still hope!

Has anyone been waitlisted? Just curious. I haven't seen anyone post about it and we know they do have a waitlist because someone posted that last year a couple people who were waitlisted and got in couldn't accept because of not taking neuro.

Just got an email from Dream, she said that since they were pushed back so much from the accreditation process they are still reviewing applications from the end of October and eventually all applications after that, so will hear back from them hopefully by the end of April. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
I got an acceptance email yesterday at 9 pm. But guys, I'm scared I wont be able to sign up for neuro and I haven't taken the art class. When does SJSU start? When do we need all the prereqs done by? I never thought I had a shot so I sort of just gave up on my last two classes :/ Oh no, any advice from anyone?

So grateful and nervous and omg

Reactions: 2 users
I got an acceptance email yesterday at 9 pm. But guys, I'm scared I wont be able to sign up for neuro and I haven't taken the art class. When does SJSU start? When do we need all the prereqs done by? I never thought I had a shot so I sort of just gave up on my last two classes :/ Oh no, any advice from anyone?

Congrats!!!! According to a few people on the Facebook page, SJSU saves spots in their Neuro class for incoming OT students so you shouldn't have a problem getting in. I believe registration begins on April 19th, but I would check with SJSU Open University. As for the art class, I know that community colleges offer art classes during the summer. I am not sure where you live, but I've taken some through the College of San Mateo. Good luck finding those classes! It's still early enough that you shouldn't have a problem.
Again, congratulations! I'm looking forward to meeting you in the fall!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Congrats 10ninja!! Could you share the date you applied and your stats? Thanks!

Congrats 10ninja!! Could you share the date you applied and your stats? Thanks!

I'd be happy too! I mailed my application on October 1 and my OTCAS was verified very early October (I'm blanking on exactly when). However, there was a problem with my mail and it didn't arrive to SJSU until October 15th and when I emailed Dream asking when my application was officially getting reviewed, she said November 1st. So, all in all, I learned that maybe it is best to apply as early as possible to account for OTCAS verification times and USPS troubles.

Last 60 units: 3.5
GRE: 158, 157, 4.5
200ish volunteer hours
I think what helped me stand out were my extra curriculars. Find something you're passionate about and do your best to work/volunteer in that area for some time. My personal statement was also very strong. When I was submitting a packet, I made sure to address why I was applying to SJSU specifically.

Reactions: 3 users
In the email I got, it mentioned I would be getting the acceptance letter soon. How long did it take for you guys? Was it through mail or email?

Also, does anyone have advice on housing? Is there a way to get a shared or private for around $600-$700/ month? Is anyone looking for roommates? It could be awesome to live with fellow classmates :)

And when do preqs have to be complete by? Mine will be done late July to early August.

I cannot believe this is real!

In the email I got, it mentioned I would be getting the acceptance letter soon. How long did it take for you guys? Was it through mail or email?

Also, does anyone have advice on housing? Is there a way to get a shared or private for around $600-$700/ month? Is anyone looking for roommates? It could be awesome to live with fellow classmates :)

And when do preqs have to be complete by? Mine will be done late July to early August.

Congrats on your acceptance!! I received my letter by mail within a week, I believe, of my acceptance email. It was so nice to see it on paper:)

I emailed dream about the neuro class and she assured me not to worry about getting in. I would maybe email her to make sure the department knows you are planning on enrolling so they can count you in on the enrollment list!

As for the art class, I'm sure you can find a summer one to sign up for. I know of some other hopefuls who are hoping to get into SJSU so I'm glad to hear they are still sending out acceptances! I don't have a Facebook (yet), but I saw in previous posts there is a page set up for those who have been accepted. That may be a good place to start to look for a roomie:) I also heard that having a Facebook is super beneficial for students to share updates on class cancelations, assignment updates, etc.

I'm not sure when all the prereqs have to be completed; I'm thinking since the neuro class ends a week before the fall semester starts, they just want transcripts by that time.

I so look forward to meeting everybody! And congrats again on getting in! Such an accomplishment for all!

Members don't see this ad :)

Also, I agree that applying early was essential, along with extracurriculars. I have been building up my resume for the past 3 years with relevant experience and community work that I believe definitely helped. Good luck to everyone else, and, if you need to apply again, this forum has a lot of useful tips that can strengthen your next application. Don't give up!

I received my email acceptance last night around 10 pm! Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear.

My stats:
OTCAS: verified beginning of October, paper application to SJSU mid-October
GRE: V 163, Q 155, AW 4.0
Undergrad: BS Psychology in 2003
Undergrad GPA: 3.28
Pre-req GPA: 4.0 (physiology in progress and neuroanatomy pending)
Volunteer: 40 hours pediatric, 40 hours hospital inpatient rehab
LORs: Abnormal psych professor, manager at current job, Director of Special Education where I worked as a paraprofessional with autistic kindergartner

My husband and I (and our cat :) will be moving down from the East Bay, so I'd love any housing advice from those in the know. Thx!

Hi Everyone, I just discovered this thread last night! I am still waiting for my acceptance to the 2016 SJSU cohort and it has been a bit more stressful the last couple weeks. It means alot to see that I am not alone and that people are trying to build a student network already. Best wishes and I hope I will be soon announcing some news myself :)

Hello everyone,

On Tuesday (4/19/16), I received my acceptance e-mail from Gigi Smith. I'm so excited! I have been following this forum for a few months and finally decided to create an account.

I have so many questions regarding Neuroanatomy, Housing, Financial Aid, etc. as I'm sure you can all relate to. Is it still possible to register for the UCLA Neuroanatomy course? Is anyone having any luck with housing and financial aid?

If anyone who would like to meet up sometime to maybe discuss the possibility of roommates, study groups, etc. please let me know! I currently live in Monterey County if there is anyone on this forum who is within driving distance.

Looking forward to meeting you guys!

I just saw your post! I'm looking for housing as well. San Jose is so expensive and I totally agree having classmates as roommates would be great. PM me if you're interested.

I received my acceptance email yesterday afternoon! I think my application was verified in late October. I wasn't sure I had a great chance because I didn't score well on the quantitative portion of the GRE. I definitely made a point to address the score in my SOP and had a science professor write one of my recommendations. I worked really hard on my personal statement and think I did a good job of explaining my journey through the field of holistic health. I spoke from my heart and it must have come through effectively. I'm just trying to say, don't be discouraged if you have some B's because it seems like your story is just as important for SJSU.

Last edited:
Just curious, is there anyone else waiting who did not submit super early? Other posters seem to all have submitted in Oct/Nov so far. With the deadline being in February I didn't realize just how early I needed to submit...I also didn't realize we could submit to some schools on OTCAS without having to submit to all of them. :/ I'm an optimist and I think my application is pretty competitive, so I'm still hopeful...just wondering if anyone else is also kicking themselves. :smack:

Just curious, is there anyone else waiting who did not submit super early? Other posters seem to all have submitted in Oct/Nov so far. With the deadline being in February I didn't realize just how early I needed to submit...I also didn't realize we could submit to some schools on OTCAS without having to submit to all of them. :/ I'm an optimist and I think my application is pretty competitive, so I'm still hopeful...just wondering if anyone else is also kicking themselves. :smack:

I sent an e-mail to check in, and Dream replied on Wednesday saying that they are still reviewing October applications and had only ten spots left :(

I sent my application in 10/31 and was told by Dream that it was verified 11/7. I haven't heard back from them regarding my chances and by this point I've pretty much resigned myself towards the reality of going to OT school in Southern California. I called and spoke to an OT representative at SJSU (not Dream) yesterday (4/22) and they said they were still going through applications that had submission dates from late September / early October. She did say that they plan on getting the last of the acceptances out by the end of this month, followed by waitlists and rejections. We'll see.

Anyway, good luck to everyone still waiting and a major congratulations to all of you who have been accepted!!!

Last edited:

I was verified 1/24. I didn't have the option to submit earlier because I needed to wait until after the fall semester ended to send in my transcripts. If it's correct that they are not even looking beyond October, it's looking less hopeful, but I guess we will all know soon.

I sent my application in 10/31 and was told by Dream that it was verified 11/7. I haven't heard back from them regarding my chances and by this point I've pretty much resigned myself towards the reality of going to OT school in Southern California. I called and spoke to an OT representative at SJSU (not Dream) yesterday (4/22) and they said they were still going through applications that had submission dates from late September / early October. She did say that they plan on getting the last of the acceptances out by the end of this month, following by waitlists and rejections. We'll see.

Anyway, good luck to everyone still waiting and a major congratulations to all of you who have been accepted!!!

So it sounds like if we don't hear back by the very end of this month, then we are either waitlisted or rejected. Right? I couldn't submit my complete application until mid-December, but I definitely understand now that the key to rolling applications is to apply within the first week or so. It just doesn't make sense that they leave such a large window for applications. If I had known this beforehand, I think I would have rather saved my money than applied so late. Hopefully the department will work with me on applying next time around (like I've read a few times on this thread).

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far!

Just FYI for those still waiting, I submitted my application late November and was accepted so don't worry if you havn't heard back yet! The department has been very busy (an understatement) this year so I think they are just behind in viewing applications. Don't lose hope!

Just FYI for those still waiting, I submitted my application late November and was accepted so don't worry if you havn't heard back yet! The department has been very busy (an understatement) this year so I think they are just behind in viewing applications. Don't lose hope!

Sorry just for clarification, was that for this application cycle?

I received notice by letter on Saturday that I am on the waitlist. The nice thing is that they do tell you what your number is in the wait list order. In the letter, they said that they've reached capacity for acceptances for this year. It said they are still waiting on confirmation from more recent acceptances they've sent out though and will pull from the wait list to fill spots that are declined by accepted applicants.

I applied the first of Oct. and was verified by mid-Oct.

I received notice by letter on Saturday that I am on the waitlist. The nice thing is that they do tell you what your number is in the wait list order. In the letter, they said that they've reached capacity for acceptances for this year. It said they are still waiting on confirmation from more recent acceptances they've sent out though and will pull from the wait list to fill spots that are declined by accepted applicants.

I applied the first of Oct. and was verified by mid-Oct.

Interesting, so this was through snail mail not an email?

Do you know by chance about how many people will be put on the waitlist? Thanks!
Sorry, I don't know how many they'll put on the waitlist. My number was pretty early so that doesn't give any indication and it didn't mention how many, nor have I heard any mention of the waitlist size.

I received my conditional acceptance today. I am completely shocked but very excited!!

Congrats!!! :)) Do you mind sharing your stats? Thank you!

Congrats!!! :)) Do you mind sharing your stats? Thank you!
Thank you! I submitted my application in October. Last 60 GPA was 3.6. Had about 200 OT observation hours and all A's except one B in the prereqs. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear!

Hello everyone. I am considering on applying to SJSU and I'll be getting my bachelors next spring. Does anyone know if the OT program in SJSU accepts an online class and lab in Physiology? How about in Abnormal Psychology?

Hello everyone,

On Tuesday (4/19/16), I received my acceptance e-mail from Gigi Smith. I'm so excited! I have been following this forum for a few months and finally decided to create an account.

I have so many questions regarding Neuroanatomy, Housing, Financial Aid, etc. as I'm sure you can all relate to. Is it still possible to register for the UCLA Neuroanatomy course? Is anyone having any luck with housing and financial aid?

If anyone who would like to meet up sometime to maybe discuss the possibility of roommates, study groups, etc. please let me know! I currently live in Monterey County if there is anyone on this forum who is within driving distance.

Looking forward to meeting you guys!
Hi norcalgirl92, I am in Prunedale and plan on commuting. I received my acceptance on Thursday (April 27th) after I had resigned myself to having another year off (...this was my second year applying). Needless to say I am STOKED.

Hello everyone. I am considering on applying to SJSU and I'll be getting my bachelors next spring. Does anyone know if the OT program in SJSU accepts an online class and lab in Physiology? How about in Abnormal Psychology?
Online abnormal psychology, definitely. I took mine thru west hills college.

Congratulations! Can I ask when you got your application in?
This was actually my second year applying. The first year I had it all in . This year I emailed my intent to reinstate my app on 107 and finished applying through GAPE on 10/14. I did send new recommendaton letters after that, so I'm not sure of my "complete" date

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of any updates regarding the Waitlist/rejection letters?! Thank you :)

Well I decided on another school, but I still wonder when I will receive ANY info from SJSU.

Well I decided on another school, but I still wonder when I will receive ANY info from SJSU.

Yeah, me too... very disappointed in how they do their selection process. I'm just super grateful I got into my #1 :luck: otherwise I'd be pretty upset right about now!