Program-Specific Info / Q's San Jose State MSOT Fall 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Regarding the neuroanatomy course with UCLA extension, is this the class people have signed up for?

Functional Neuroanatomy (online)
March 28 - June 19
Fee: $735

https://www.uclaextension.edu/pages/Course.aspx?reg=266889
Yes, that's the one! I confirmed with Dream a few months ago and with Dr. Smith last week that this class would meet the neuroanatomy requirement.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just received my conditional acceptance yesterday as well, received an email from Dr. Smith. Seeing that there's the UCLA class, is this better than the one SJSU offers over the summer? I was planning on taking that one, didn't know of the UCLA alternative.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just received my conditional acceptance yesterday as well, received an email from Dr. Smith. Seeing that there's the UCLA class, is this better than the one SJSU offers over the summer? I was planning on taking that one, didn't know of the UCLA alternative.
Congrats!!! The UCLA class is more affordable and begins/ends earlier. It meets the requirement, but I am not sure if the one through SJSU prepares you better for the program or not. I will be taking the UCLA class before beginning SJSU's program in the fall.
Looking forward to meeting you in the fall!

Congratulations! Could I ask when you submitted your application? Would you mind sharing with us hopefuls your stats?

Congrats!
Congratulations! Could I ask when you submitted your application? Would you mind sharing with us hopefuls your stats?

Thanks to both of you! I was blown away to get in. For the past month or two, I had the mentality, "I'd know by now, the ship has sailed."
Major: Psychology School: Cal Poly Pomona (in-progress, graduating in June).
GPA last 90 quarter units: 3.9 Pre-req GPA (all but Neuro/Hand skill): 4.0
GRE: 4.5 Writing, 155 Reading, 151 Math

I completed 3 different sites for evaluation totaling ~250+. I did 140 at Kaiser Permanente, 100 at Pomona Valley Hospital. I further did 25 hours with disabled kids while on exchange in Australia. I also discussed my current academic research on stress in my statement, with plans for research in the program with some topics I'm interested in that combined my background in Psych and future studies in OT.

edit: I forgot to add when I submitted. I think my app was 'processed officially' a week after the Oct 1st deadline. I would totally recommend SUBMITTING for processing mid-September so it's processed by Oct 1st. I didn't know it would take over a week, and I didn't do it till Sept 29th-ish.

Last edited:
@paulr hi Paul! I was wondering how sjsu values research? I have a year of research in OT that I completed after my application and its sparked an interest for me to continue research in grad school.

@paulr hi Paul! I was wondering how sjsu values research? I have a year of research in OT that I completed after my application and its sparked an interest for me to continue research in grad school.

I'm not sure they do specifically! I just naturally assumed since it's a masters degree and part of the curriculum involves research methodology. Also research work in general just looks good. I never saw somewhere on their site or from them "We want students with research backgrounds."

I read that students can sign up for it in April, but I couldn't find an exact date for when it starts. I would assume May, or maybe even June? That's just speculation on my part though.
I believe it's June 1 - August 7

Hi all!

As of 12:30 PM today, I got accepted into SJSU's MOT ELM Program for Fall 2016! I'm still in shock, and am so looking forward to meeting everyone. I still need to take Neuroanatomy.

I submitted by application October 1st, so there is still hope for all you October applicants!
Last year I did not get my rejection letter until March 26th.

For those of you still waiting to hear or thinking of applying, I did not get accepted last year and was heartbroken. But, I trusted I would get in when the time was right and work was done, and I guess the right time is now!

I joined the Facebook group that was created. I hope everyone has a great evening :)

Nicole

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats Nicole!!

I, too, received my conditional acceptance via email today around noon. I am still trying to process the news after accepting I must have been declined having not heard anything by now.

My mailed application materials were received on October 1st but my OTCAS application wasn't verified until October 15th.

This was my first time applying but I had almost a year from the time I graduated with my BA to when I applied to SJSU during which I gained observation hours and relevant experience.

I am so excited to meet everyone who has been accepted so far and encourage everyone else to not lose hope! It seems only the first couple weeks of applicants have heard back so far!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I also got my email last week with my conditional acceptance!

Congratulations everyone! Has Dream responded to anyone's emails recently? I've tried emailing her recently, but haven't gotten a response

Last edited:
I sent an email (3/2) and I received an email from Dream this morning (3/9) saying they are still going through applications and they should let us know by mid-april.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know of any other neuroanatomy courses that will be accepted? The UCLA one is closed now :(

I'm wondering if the summer OCTH 190 neuroanatomy for occupational therapy (3 units) is as notoriously hard as the general neuroanatomy class that SJSU offers. If it prepares me better for the program, that would be great, but I'd like to feel more confident about passing an already difficult course made more difficult by being accelerated for the summer.

I'm going to try to find some other options but figured I'd consult you guys first before emailing Dream! She must be drowning in emails!

UPDATE: I was wrong, there is another course section still open for functional neuroanatomy from the UCLA extension!
It starts in March though. Does anyone know of any other acceptable summer courses?

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any other neuroanatomy courses that will be accepted? The UCLA one is closed now :(

I'm wondering if the summer OCTH 190 neuroanatomy for occupational therapy (3 units) is as notoriously hard as the general neuroanatomy class that SJSU offers. If it prepares me better for the program, that would be great, but I'd like to feel more confident about passing an already difficult course made more difficult by being accelerated for the summer.

I'm going to try to find some other options but figured I'd consult you guys first before emailing Dream! She must be drowning in emails!

UPDATE: I was wrong, there is another course section still open for functional neuroanatomy from the UCLA extension!
It starts in March though. Does anyone know of any other acceptable summer courses?

I was planning on taking OCTH 90 in the summer, but perhaps the UCLA extension may be better.. Would you mind posting the link of the course section you found?

I was planning on taking OCTH 90 in the summer, but perhaps the UCLA extension may be better.. Would you mind posting the link of the course section you found?
Hi Nicole,
I just searched for it and it looks like it has closed since I saw it last. Sorry! Hopefully there's another option out there.

Does anybody know about how many applied and how many will be accepted this year?

Does anybody know about how many applied and how many will be accepted this year?

Looking through the posts in this thread, it seems like there are 60 seats and well over 600 applicants this year.

This forum is so helpful. Six months feels like years when waiting to hear. Congratulations to those who have received their acceptance! I haven't given up hope yet.

If anyone finds leads about other online neuroanatomy courses, please share.

I got my acceptance today! I am so excited, I feel like I can finally breathe :)

I am overwhelmed and now I need a nap!
:soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations!! I would have been extremely surprised if you hadn't been accepted :)

I'm a little late to the party, but I'm still waiting as well. I was verified in November, but the Grad dept lost my transcripts until February so I'm not sure exactly when they'll look at my application. I'm in the enviable spot that I'm in at 5 programs, waiting on 2 more (including SJSU), but SJSU just might be my first choice.
I already took the Neuro prerequ, but I'm going to look into some open online courses for a refresher because I took it 5+ years ago. Anyone else already satisfy it and looking around for a refresher?

Congratulations!!!! Would you mind sharing your stats, as well as when you applied?

Thank you! Sure, my stats are:
Overall GPA 3.4 or 3.5 I don't remember
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE 147 (Math), 157 (verbal), 4.5 (A)

I submitted my app on 10/15 and all my other documents were into the office by the last week of October. I was sure to email them periodically expressing my continued and enthused interest, and I was also able to meet with Dr. Smith in november to talk about the program in person.

I am so excited! I got accepted to all my schools but the last hold out was SJSU. FINALLY! I just keep thinking how I will not be drowning with debt after I graduate :D

I AM SO EXCITED FOR THE INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE!!! haha I'm already excited :D :D :D

What are your thoughts on Stanbridge? Are they full accredited already?? I'm thinking about applying there as well since these OT programs are soooo competitive I have to apply almost everywhere lol

Good luck to you SJSU hopefuls, I really hope they get back to you all soon!

Hi ot2017please! Just wanted to answer your question in case it wasn't answered yet. I am a current student at Stanbridge and it is fully accredited as of December 2015 http://www.aota.org/Education-Careers/Find-School/AccreditEntryLevel/OTMasters.aspx ...I think they are just about to send out acceptances for the May start date but you can apply right now for the September start (this is based on what I have read on here so you will want to contact admissions to be sure of all the dates). When I applied there was no application fee and it seems that this is still the case according to the website https://www.stanbridge.edu/admissions#msotApply but you can double check with admissions for that too. I recommend attending an info session and seeing if it is the right fit for you (this really applies to any school you apply to or are accepted to before you make your decision). I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best on your applications! :] Feel free to message me directly if you have any questions.

Thank you! Sure, my stats are:
Overall GPA 3.4 or 3.5 I don't remember
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE 147 (Math), 157 (verbal), 4.5 (A)

I submitted my app on 10/15 and all my other documents were into the office by the last week of October. I was sure to email them periodically expressing my continued and enthused interest, and I was also able to meet with Dr. Smith in november to talk about the program in person.

I am so excited! I got accepted to all my schools but the last hold out was SJSU. FINALLY! I just keep thinking how I will not be drowning with debt after I graduate :D

I AM SO EXCITED FOR THE INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE!!! haha I'm already excited :D :D :D

Hi everyone,

I'm still anxiously waiting to hear back from SJSU. I was curious to ask any of those who have been accepted to SJSU - since you received notice did your "admission status" change in the Oracle (My SJSU) portal? Mine has read "Referred to Graduate Department" forever! I'm wondering if it will change once the OT department has decided I'm accepted or declined. I applied in mid-October so I should be finding out soon. I'm currently waitlisted at Dominican in Marin. My fingers are crossed but I'm also gearing up to re-apply to both. Can anyone share what the reapplication process is like for SJSU?

Hi everyone,

I'm still anxiously waiting to hear back from SJSU. I was curious to ask any of those who have been accepted to SJSU - since you received notice did your "admission status" change in the Oracle (My SJSU) portal? Mine has read "Referred to Graduate Department" forever! I'm wondering if it will change once the OT department has decided I'm accepted or declined. I applied in mid-October so I should be finding out soon. I'm currently waitlisted at Dominican in Marin. My fingers are crossed but I'm also gearing up to re-apply to both. Can anyone share what the reapplication process is like for SJSU?

Nope, nothing changed in Oracle. Still says referred to Grad Dept. If you need to reapply to SJSU you should really talk to Dr.Smith because they really work with people who are applying a second time around. She talked about this in one of the open houses and I thought that was pretty cool and stand-up of them.

I've been following this thread for a while and I finally got my emailed conditional acceptance today!!! So surreal!!! On another note I want to be able to take the UCLA extension functional neuro class but everything is full.. so if anyone on this thread is thinking about dropping I would love a heads up so I can jump in on that spot! Thank you!

I've been following this thread for a while and I finally got my emailed conditional acceptance today!!! So surreal!!! On another note I want to be able to take the UCLA extension functional neuro class but everything is full.. so if anyone on this thread is thinking about dropping I would love a heads up so I can jump in on that spot! Thank you!

Congrats!!! Would you mind sharing your stats and when you submitted your application?

Last edited:

Me too!! I'm trying to decide between SJSU and MGH now... Kinda leaning toward SJSU since the tuition is so much cheaper..

Does anyone know if they are still sending out acceptances?

They are on spring break this week, so I'm not expecting to hear anything this week.
Do you know what day they return to the office? Thank you :)

I was conditionally accepted and I'm planning to take Neuro in the summer. Does anyone know if I'm gonna need to get this class verified by OTCAS after the summer is over?

I was conditionally accepted and I'm planning to take Neuro in the summer. Does anyone know if I'm gonna need to get this class verified by OTCAS after the summer is over?

Congrats! Can I ask when you submitted your application?

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for people who have been accepted? Ive been looking but I haven't found anything!

Thank you!! Any chance you are taking the neuro class through SJSU over the summer and can provide some insight into when we enroll?

Thank you!! Any chance you are taking the neuro class through SJSU over the summer and can provide some insight into when we enroll?
I won't be taking neuro through SJSU, I am currently enrolled in the UCLA extension class. All I know is that registration begins in April. You may be able to find out more information here:
http://www.sjsu.edu/openuniversity/

Anyone think they are still giving out acceptances? Or know when they will send out rejection letters? Thanks! This has been a very long process.