This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

waveringatom

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all! Need help with a school list. Got my Mcat score back today

Final GPA (including post bacc)
3.23 cGPA
3.12 sGPA

Post Bacc GPA (19 credits upper division science)
3.95 cGPA and sGPA

MCAT:
507 (124 CARS)

ECs:
Volunteering at a women's shelter
Feeding the homeless
Shadowing
Psych intern (clinical)
Started public speaking organization
Photographer
Several leadership roles
I started scribing in a week (left out of primary)

FL Resident (but now live in Texas since February)

ORM

I think I covered everything. So far I have submitted my primary to BCOM for verification. I don't have a set limit on how many schools to apply so please have at it.

Any input from the SDN OGs is appreciated.. @Faha

Thank you all.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I looked at previous threads with 507 MCAT and low GPAs (3.2/3.3)

The wise Goro recommended the applicant to apply broadly, but would not recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, MSUCOM (?). And of course, most definitely add your state school to the list 🙂
 
If you apply broadly to at least 12 DO schools this month you should receive several interviews. Your MCAT is competitive for all schools though your GPA is below the median for all schools. Your good post bacc should help. These are the schools where you are most likely to receive interviews:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
 
If you apply broadly to at least 12 DO schools this month you should receive several interviews. Your MCAT is competitive for all schools though your GPA is below the median for all schools. Your good post bacc should help. These are the schools where you are most likely to receive interviews:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia


Thank you!

Would it be a donation for me to apply to schools such as DMU or KCUMB?
 
Thank you!

Would it be a donation for me to apply to schools such as DMU or KCUMB?
Class profile - Des Moines University &&& Student Profile
According to DMU site and KCUMB websites, seems like your MCAT is in range... but your GPA isn't within the ballpark.
They can be a reach? You'll never know whether or not they'll interview/accept you with med schools..... it's never a set in stone type of thing
 
Maybe throw ATSU-SOMA on the list - I have nearly same stats (slightly higher MCAT, 4 credits more on PB) and received II from there.
 
Hey all! Need help with a school list. Got my Mcat score back today

Final GPA (including post bacc)
3.23 cGPA
3.12 sGPA

Post Bacc GPA (19 credits upper division science)
3.95 cGPA and sGPA

MCAT:
507 (124 CARS)

ECs:
Volunteering at a women's shelter
Feeding the homeless
Shadowing
Psych intern (clinical)
Started public speaking organization
Photographer
Several leadership roles
I started scribing in a week (left out of primary)

FL Resident (but now live in Texas since February)

ORM

I think I covered everything. So far I have submitted my primary to BCOM for verification. I don't have a set limit on how many schools to apply so please have at it.

Any input from the SDN OGs is appreciated.. @Faha

Thank you all.
I suggest your state MD schools (except USF/Morsani), and any DO school, except: Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. NovaMD, maybe
 
I suggest your state MD schools (except USF/Morsani), and any DO school, except: Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. NovaMD, maybe

Thank you.

Just curious, doesn't MSUCOM have high in-state bias?