This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sameffect

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a student in University of Houston and I just transferred from Houston Community College. I wanted help on my credit hour selection for the upcoming Fall 2016 semester. My credit hours in HCC are as follows:
Spring 2015- 15 hours
Summer 2015- 13 hours (incl Chem 1 with lab)
Fall 2015- 17 hours (incl Chem 2 and Bio 1 with labs)
Spring 2016-9 hours because I did not want to take more than 3 science classes in HCC and I was done with my core classes. Overall GPA is 3.6

Now in UH, I am going to be taking 3 credit hours of Pre-Cal for Summer 2016 and I just got done with my orientation a week ago.
For Fall 2016, I have registered for 13 credit hour of classes because all of them are full now and these are all the classes I could find.
My current Math and Science GPA is 4.0

Will taking 13 credit hours affect my application in any way? I am also worried about taking 3 science classes at a community college. Will that have an impact as well?
Also, what classes do you recommend for me to make my course selection stand out for Dental School?
Thank you :). Sorry for the long post :(

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on what dental schools you choose to apply to (mainly Tufts and I think BU), you may need to redo those CC prereqs at a 4 year university. Somebody else can comment on the requirements of Texas schools because I honestly don't know.

As far as worrying about taking only 13 credit hours during fall, don't worry about one semester. Hopefully you will get a higher registration priority in the future and can register for more classes (otherwise it's going to take you a million years to graduate depending on how many credits you have left). Focus on doing well, transitioning properly into a 4 year school, and map out your future semesters/find an adviser who knows what they are doing this fall.

There aren't really any classes that will make you "stand out" just by taking them, but instead, take as many higher level sciences as you can and do well in that. That matters a whole lot more!

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on what dental schools you choose to apply to (mainly Tufts and I think BU), you may need to redo those CC prereqs at a 4 year university. Somebody else can comment on the requirements of Texas schools because I honestly don't know.

As far as worrying about taking only 13 credit hours during fall, don't worry about one semester. Hopefully you will get a higher registration priority in the future and can register for more classes (otherwise it's going to take you a million years to graduate depending on how many credits you have left). Focus on doing well, transitioning properly into a 4 year school, and map out your future semesters/find an adviser who knows what they are doing this fall.

There aren't really any classes that will make you "stand out" just by taking them, but instead, take as many higher level sciences as you can and do well in that. That matters a whole lot more!
Hi!!! Thank you for the guidance :) I finally got into another class and that rounded my hours up to 16. I will definitely research about the Texas CC requirements though!!