amylovee19

2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone!

I am a rising senior and have finished essentially all my major courses already. With the extra room in my schedule, I am debating whether I should pursue a minor (probably either in English or History) or just take random classes that interest me. Any thoughts on whether one is better than the other? I am not concerned about raising my GPA at all so that is not an issue.

Also, does taking a lower number of classes affect how I will look to medical schools? I will also be a General Chem TA, doing honors research, and am captain of an athletic team along with other outside obligations. The thing is, I took over the maximum units allowed my first two years then lowered slightly last year already. So is taking a declining number of classes harmful if I am picking up more extracurriculars?

Thanks in advance!

I am a rising senior and have finished essentially all my major courses already. With the extra room in my schedule, I am debating whether I should pursue a minor (probably either in English or History) or just take random classes that interest me.
1) Any thoughts on whether one is better than the other? I am not concerned about raising my GPA at all so that is not an issue.

Also, does taking a lower number of classes affect how I will look to medical schools? I will also be a General Chem TA, doing honors research, and am captain of an athletic team along with other outside obligations. The thing is, I took over the maximum units allowed my first two years then lowered slightly last year already.
2) So is taking a declining number of classes harmful if I am picking up more extracurriculars?
1) The best one is the one you'll enjoy most and in which you'll earn great grades. No need to sign up for an official minor unless it's required to have access to upper-level courses you want.

2) Adcomms will appreciate the entire load you carry, not just your academic load. You've already taken intense course loads in the past and done well, so you have nothing to prove during the senior year.