Senior Year..Not sure what to do. (DO? PA? MPH? PA/MPH???)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RyLove

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this will be very complicated so pay attention and hopefully, you can give me some good advice. I am 21YO white male and I graduate this semester in May with a 3.2cGPA, a Cell and Molecular Biology major with a Biochemistry minor. I started my first semester of freshmen year with a 2.69gpa, second semester 2.89, and then from then on, I have been above a 3.0, only being on the "Deans List" once with a 3.65gpa because I loved anatomy and genetics so much... I have very few As on my transcript actually.. Pharmacology, Anatomy, Medical Term, English 1,2, and maybe one or two others, but the rest are mostly all Bs with only 2 C+ in Political science and the very first biomedical science class they make you take, bms 110. I have no LOR from professors, no research but I have shadowed a decent amount both MD, DO, and PA and like them all. Honestly leaning towards DO over MD because I am a hands-on person and would definitely adopt the "extra" skills into my everyday treatments. I have volunteered for over 200 hours total, and I worked as a medical scribe in the ER for over a year before I gave myself carpal tunnel and repetitive stress injuries bilaterally in both of my forearms/wrists/hands and had to step down from my position. I am just being able to type again after a year of recovery. I was supposed to take my MCAT last year but due to not being able to use my hands for anything, I couldn't take it. So now I am debating it, but I am not sure what I want to do anymore... and this is where it gets tricky, so pay attention and hope you can give me some good advice.
I want to be a doctor, always have, but I refuse to be a doctor, now that I am more educated on the healthcare system in the United States. I have volunteered abroad in Indonesia teaching English for a month, and in May (after I graduate) I will be in Burma working with FreeBurmaRangers in their health clinic for injured soldiers fighting in the longlasting civil war that has been going on for over 50 years. THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO BE DOING (i think). So if i become a doctor, do I look into Doctors without Borders? What is the process for that, how much more schooling, do I complete a residency? SO MANY QUESTIONS! Also, I really like the role that Epidemiology has on the healthcare system and have looked into MPH, but I would want to be the type (field epidemiology?) that travels to the outbreak to look for correlations (i think) but I dont want so much biostatistics as it seems so I guess idk enough about it... I am so torn because my GPA is not good enough for Medical school typically, but I want to contribute to the healthcare system is a meaningful way every day I am at work, I also want to travel, I am also very fascinated by research, I just don't think I want to be a professor. I just recently read about MPAS/MPH degrees, and these allow more international career options, but I also cant find what types of careers!! I know the MPAS is US accredited only, so I don't think I would be able to practice internationally? Idk how that works... any advice is much appreciated. I am also needing to take the GRE or MCAT in April, I have not signed up yet. Last year I did 2 months of intense studying (right before my injury, this also played a role not just the scribe job haha) for the MCAT and a year ago I studied for 2 weeks for the GRE but never took it either. Please help me decide a path, or give me some advice/insight into any of the fields I listed above. Anything is appreciated - except hatred. Thanks. I will answer questions below if you have them, but I tried to be as thorough as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Public health is a great field and is of immense value especially in outbreak response efforts. Here is a good link for what field epidemiologist would be doing (you would need at least a Masters in Epidemiology and would have to deal with a lot of biostats and modeling data). If you chose this route, you should look into working with non profit organizations (like MSF) because this will count under the US Government's Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
Epidemiologists

If you are looking to get some experience with public health before looking into getting a Masters, you could always do internships at the CDC or WHO. I believe they have 1 to 2 year internships you could look into before applying to medical school if you chose to do that. With your GPA you would probably be looking more into DO schools and potentially your state MD schools.

However, it sounds like you do want to be a doctor but that you are more interested in helping those who are most in need in third world countries. You would need to complete medical school and then residency in order to get your license. Many residencies would like be 2-4 years depending on what specialty you chose. Here is a link for what you would need to have to be the type of doctor your are interested in.
Physicians

Doctors without borders is an amazing organization and would be the organization I would look into if I were you. Wish you the best of luck.