SGU 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would reach back out to those vets you worked with in the past and be honest about the letter. Do they maybe offer something you don’t have much experience in that you could shadow more with them for? Like equine or pocket pets? Does the letter have to be from a vet? I only submitted two letters from vets and then two student life professionals and two professors. Perhaps a professor could write a letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Or double check that those two vets did send in letters! Perhaps one forgot!

I would reach back out to those vets you worked with in the past and be honest about the letter. Do they maybe offer something you don’t have much experience in that you could shadow more with them for? Like equine or pocket pets? Does the letter have to be from a vet? I only submitted two letters from vets and then two student life professionals and two professors. Perhaps a professor could write a letter?

I only sent 2 vets and 1 employer, so they basically just said they'd like to see another letter but that it has to be a DVM. I sent out some emails hoping something works out. I felt strange saying that my intentions were to obtain a letter, but honesty is the best policy I guess. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just got an email that my determination is pending another letter of rec from a DVM and now I'm having a heart attack. I feel like this is not a good sign for me at all. I had 2 vets send in letters, and I know they were both favorable so I'm concerned. The only other vets i've worked with I haven't even seen in 6 years, what the hell do i do? Those vets work in my home town so I'm going to email and ask if I can shadow them when I'm home for a month over break, but do I tell them in my email that I need another letter or do I just spring that on them a few weeks in?
I had my boss ( a PI), a vet, and a research scientist write mine. Maybe reach out to a mentor or professor instead? Did they say it had to be from a vet?

Edit: I see your response. Shucks.

Got an acceptance email this morning (PST) for August 14th admission to SGU. Hopefully everyone should be hearing soon!

Reactions: 5 users
Got an acceptance email this morning (PST) for August 14th admission to SGU. Hopefully everyone should be hearing soon!

Congrats!!! when did you interview? And did they ask you to do additional experience hours?

Last edited:
Just got an acceptance email for the August 2019 start date!!! SO EXCITED!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Received my acceptance email for August start date 2 days ago! Good luck everyone! I interviewed in September if anyone is wondering about the timeline.

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed Oct 29th and Krista told me yesterday I probably wont hear back until the week of December 21st. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know anything about AEP?

I'm in AEP. Its basically mandatory study hall for an hr where an upper termer who did good in the subject you choose [physio or anatomy] teaches you or gives tips on how to study for that class. It helped me tons for physiology. Our anatomy AEPs were kinda meh but they switched some of the people. Its usually mandatory on mondays. Then you have to go to at least ONE DES session of your choosen. Most people go to DES sessions regardless but sometimes they can be super full and useless. AEP basically DES session of only 10 people so its easier to learn.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in AEP. Its basically mandatory study hall for an hr where an upper termer who did good in the subject you choose [physio or anatomy] teaches you or gives tips on how to study for that class. It helped me tons for physiology. Our anatomy AEPs were kinda meh but they switched some of the people. Its usually mandatory on mondays. Then you have to go to at least ONE DES session of your choosen. Most people go to DES sessions regardless but sometimes they can be super full and useless. AEP basically DES session of only 10 people so its easier to learn.
Do you stay in AEP for your entire time there or is it just for the first semester?

Do you stay in AEP for your entire time there or is it just for the first semester?

Its only first semester unless you need to drop classes. I have a few friends who will be in AEP again cus they dropped some classes. Almost 1/3 or 1/2 of your class will be in AEP. Theres no logic to who gets put in it and who doesnt.

How many hours a week are required?

I'm not sure what you mean by hours per week. AEP is one hour usually on mondays. DES sessions are usually one hour unless anatomy puts on a mock exam for midterm and final. Total its only 2 hours out of your week unless you go to multiple DES sessions.

I interviewed the first week of October and received an acceptance email last Wednesday, also placed in AEP.

I interviewed Oct 29th and Krista told me yesterday I probably wont hear back until the week of December 21st. Fingers crossed!
When did you get your final determination email? I interviewed the day after you but didn't get that email for about a week. I'm hoping to hear back soon so Dec. 21st would be great!

When did you get your final determination email? I interviewed the day after you but didn't get that email for about a week. I'm hoping to hear back soon so Dec. 21st would be great!
My final determination email came in October 30th. Good luck!

Got my final determination email mid november. Hoping an email comes before they leave for winter break!

Got my final determination email mid november. Hoping an email comes before they leave for winter break!
Got mine 11/7. Didn't even think about them leaving for winter break, darn :( hopefully mine becomes before then too!

Congrats!!! when did you interview? And did they ask you to do additional experience hours?
God I’m so bad at this forum stuff. I interviewed like October 2nd and I do have to complete 100 large animal hours. I have until August to get those hours.

Hey! Figured I'd join the conversation. I interviewed on 10/21 and got the final determination email on 10/30 and still waiting to hear. It will be 6 weeks on Tuesday so hoping to hear soon!!

I’m a Term 5 student at SGU, if anyone has any questions you can feel free to message me :)

Do you mind me asking what your stats are? Just want to compare to someone who is accepted!
Sure! My last 45 were 3.2, overall 3.3 and science 2.75. Had years(5-10) of experience in large, small, and exotic animals. Also 5 years in all sorts of research.

Are there any current SGU students that can share their experience taking pets with them. Specifically, I want to take my 2 small dogs with me (they're JRT's)...I know I kind of sound like a crazy person wanting to take my 2 dogs but they're old and I would hate to have them away from me at the end of their lives. Anyways, is is possible to have 2 pets in the apartments there, how was flying, etc?

Sure! My last 45 were 3.2, overall 3.3 and science 2.75. Had years(5-10) of experience in large, small, and exotic animals. Also 5 years in all sorts of research.

Thank you!! Do you remember your GRE scores?

Like 156 for verbal, 149 for quant and 4.5 for writing I think

Thank you so much! Thats not bad at all, Krista told me that the average GRE score for last years incoming class was 304 which makes me feel a lot better about my scores! I got 154 verbal, 151 quant and 4.5 writing

Are there any current SGU students that can share their experience taking pets with them. Specifically, I want to take my 2 small dogs with me (they're JRT's)...I know I kind of sound like a crazy person wanting to take my 2 dogs but they're old and I would hate to have them away from me at the end of their lives. Anyways, is is possible to have 2 pets in the apartments there, how was flying, etc?

I haven’t personally brought pets down but know a lot of people who have! A lot of places that cater to students are pet friendly, just make sure to look around- you’ll just have to live off-campus. I know some people felt more comfortable leaving their pets at home and living on campus for the first term but totally doable to bring them from the start! Pet care at the clinic is also reasonably priced from what I’ve heard

So i received an email on the 12th saying I would know by the 13th the committees decision on my acceptance but it’s the 17 and i never got an email! I emailed Krista asking if they had extended the deadline but I’m low key freaking out. Anyone else have advice or a similar experience?

So i received an email on the 12th saying I would know by the 13th the committees decision on my acceptance but it’s the 17 and i never got an email! I emailed Krista asking if they had extended the deadline but I’m low key freaking out. Anyone else have advice or a similar experience?
Hey! So I interviewed October and was told I would find out the 10th of December, then it was moved to the 13th and I haven’t heard anything since either. You’re not alone *anxiously refreshes email every 2 minutes*

Hey! So I interviewed October and was told I would find out the 10th of December, then it was moved to the 13th and I haven’t heard anything since either. You’re not alone *anxiously refreshes email every 2 minutes*
I also interviewed in October!! Glad we’re in it together! Haha i literally can’t stop refreshing my email, i made the notification the loudest on my phone and i flinch everytime. Crossing my fingers for us both!

I found out this morning that I was accepted! I was supposed to find out last week but theyre a little behind I guess!

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone know if there's a cut off for pre reqs? like are D's accepted or does it have to be C- or C? Looked around on the website couldn't find anything.

does anyone know if there's a cut off for pre reqs? like are D's accepted or does it have to be C- or C? Looked around on the website couldn't find anything.
I think for any vet school you need at least a C. A D in a prerequisite is considered failing.

Just received my acceptance for SGU via email!!!!
I’ve never looked forward to something more in my entire life :soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed October 21st and I emailed Kritsa over a week ago for an update and she hasn't gotten back to me. I don't want to be annoying and keep emailing her but I also really want an update!! Anyone have to wait that long for an update from her too??

I interviewed October 12th and just received my acceptance this past Monday, December 17th but I need to acquire 200 hours of large animal experience.

I interviewed October 21st and I emailed Kritsa over a week ago for an update and she hasn't gotten back to me. I don't want to be annoying and keep emailing her but I also really want an update!! Anyone have to wait that long for an update from her too??
I interviewed on October 22nd and haven’t emailed asking for an update, but I did receive an email stating I should hear back by the 21st of this month! I’m sure you’re in the same boat, hopefully we hear this week or the next!

I interviewed on October 22nd and haven’t emailed asking for an update, but I did receive an email stating I should hear back by the 21st of this month! I’m sure you’re in the same boat, hopefully we hear this week or the next!

I didn't get my final determination email until the 30th so that will probably set me back by another week unfortunately

I just got an email from Krista saying that my decision will be bumped to the 28th. I was supposed to find out by the 21st after interviewing October 22nd

Krista told me to email her back the second week of January when the committee gets back from holiday break and she could give me a specific date then :( the end of my "4-6 weeks" was yesterday