SGU 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, does anyone know if we are supposed to file the FAFSA, or is that just for undergrad? Someone pls help lol

Yay congrats! I got an email that says they need my fall grades first, so hopefully that's a good sign because I did the best I've done so far in college last semester!
They did the same thing with me when I applied! Just be patient :)

Also, does anyone know if we are supposed to file the FAFSA, or is that just for undergrad? Someone pls help lol
You can add it to your school list if you want or you can wait and add it when you know for sure what school you are going to. You can edit the FAFSA anytime before starting school.

I’m supposed to hear back today, but still haven’t heard anything. What time did you guys receive your emails? First thing in the morning? It’s 3 o clock where I live.

I heard around 2pm but it was 3 days after the date that I was told that I would hear

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How much longer did it take? And did you end up getting accepted? Haha I’m trying my best to be patient, I’m just so anxious/excited :)
I did end up being accepted and started this January term. I emailed Krista an unofficial copy of my semester grades that I just finished and a few days later they offered me an interview. Then my interview was 2 weeks later. I didn't hear back for an acceptance until around 2 months later after my interview.

I did end up being accepted and started this January term. I emailed Krista an unofficial copy of my semester grades that I just finished and a few days later they offered me an interview. Then my interview was 2 weeks later. I didn't hear back for an acceptance until around 2 months later after my interview.
Oh okay, see I already interviewed, so maybe I'll hear back about an official decision in a few days! Thanks for your help :)

I interviewed Wednesday and it felt like the best interview I had. Hoping for good news!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just so people who haven’t heard back yet can freak out a little less, 98% of people who receive an interview get accepted.

Accepted for Fall!!! Now I have to make a decision between SGU and Ross. Anybody have a pros and cons list handy? I really love SGU and their campus, but my acceptance is conditional based on 200 more hours of large animal experience which is very hard to come by in my area. If I don't find anything by April when deposits are due, I think I'll have to go with Ross just incase I can't find anything.

Accepted for Fall!!! Now I have to make a decision between SGU and Ross. Anybody have a pros and cons list handy? I really love SGU and their campus, but my acceptance is conditional based on 200 more hours of large animal experience which is very hard to come by in my area. If I don't find anything by April when deposits are due, I think I'll have to go with Ross just incase I can't find anything.
SGU is on a semester system so you get breaks. At Ross, you’re on a trimester system so it’s accelerated with short/no breaks but you graduate 3/4 of a year sooner. I’ve heard Grenada is nicer/safer than St. Kitts. Not sure of the price, but I remember hearing SGU is cheaper. Ross is owned by DeVry which has always kind of sketched me out about it.

CONGRATS!!!! I’ve been rooting for you since I’ve first seen your posts on this thread!

There was a thread recently of SGU vs. Ross. I believe SGU is a bit cheaper too. For me personally if I were in your situation, I would try to do whatever to get the 200 extra hours since I’d prefer SGU not only due to the slightly cheaper tuition but the higher NAVLE pass rate. However, Ross is still a great option too!

SGU is on a semester system so you get breaks. At Ross, you’re on a trimester system so it’s accelerated with short/no breaks but you graduate 3/4 of a year sooner. I’ve heard Grenada is nicer/safer than St. Kitts. Not sure of the price, but I remember hearing SGU is cheaper. Ross is owned by DeVry which has always kind of sketched me out about it.
Thanks so much for your help!

CONGRATS!!!! I’ve been rooting for you since I’ve first seen your posts on this thread!

There was a thread recently of SGU vs. Ross. I believe SGU is a bit cheaper too. For me personally if I were in your situation, I would try to do whatever to get the 200 extra hours since I’d prefer SGU not only due to the slightly cheaper tuition but the higher NAVLE pass rate. However, Ross is still a great option too!
Awe, that makes me so happy!!! Thanks so much and yes, my big thing is the NAVLE pass rate! I've already been researching into large animal options, I may just have to travel to make it happen and volunteer/shadow. My preference really is SGU, and I have heard of people emailing Krista if they absolutely couldn't find large animal experience but I can't imagine they are too lenient on it.

Thanks so much for your help!
No problem! I do want to make sure it doesn’t sound like I’m bashing Ross entirely. I know lots of Ross grads and they’re great doctors. My main issue with Ross is that, since they’re a for-profit school owned but DeVry, they’re very financially motivated. I can’t find good data on this, but I have definitely heard that it’s not uncommon for Ross students to fall behind because of the trimester system. This can end up costing a lot of money. It’s an issue for sure. Again, it doesn’t make you any less of a doctor. It’s just something to consider due to the nature of the school.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys! Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party lol but I've been accepted for August 2019! :) (interviewed Sept. 17) This is my 3rd application cycle (but first time for SGU). I plan on attending unless I get pulled off my IS alternate list (UF). I'm excited but also nervous, especially with having to move to another country. I'm trying to visit the island before I matriculate to help me feel better so it isn't COMPLETELY new to me lol
Congratulations! I look forward to having you guys as classmates :)

Reactions: 7 users
Hi guys! Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party lol but I've been accepted for August 2019! :) (interviewed Sept. 17) This is my 3rd application cycle (but first time for SGU). I plan on attending unless I get pulled off my IS alternate list (UF). I'm excited but also nervous, especially with having to move to another country. I'm trying to visit the island before I matriculate to help me feel better so it isn't COMPLETELY new to me lol
Congratulations! I look forward to having you guys as classmates :)
Congrats!

I received an email this morning that admissions will have a decision for me March 5. Hoping for good news SGU is my top pick

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if it’s hard to bring your pet back and forth during breaks?

Hi everyone! Was anyone accepted to the VFP for the August term that is considering going? I've been debating for a bit now between that and Ross- SGU was my top choice but being offered VFP has made me really debate which option would be the best for me.

Hi everyone! Was anyone accepted to the VFP for the August term that is considering going? I've been debating for a bit now between that and Ross- SGU was my top choice but being offered VFP has made me really debate which option would be the best for me.

I’m going!

Just wanted to say hi! I got a provisional acceptance to SGU way back in November, but I need 150 hours of small animal experience before August (which I'm working on now, just got a job has a vet assistant!). If I don't get off the waitlist to Western, I will most likely be starting class on the island in August! I'm actually going to visit Grenada and the campus at the end of March, so I'm super excited for that.

Reactions: 3 users
Just wanted to say hi! I got a provisional acceptance to SGU way back in November, but I need 150 hours of small animal experience before August (which I'm working on now, just got a job has a vet assistant!). If I don't get off the waitlist to Western, I will most likely be starting class on the island in August! I'm actually going to visit Grenada and the campus at the end of March, so I'm super excited for that.

In the same situation as you! Waitlisted at western but need large animal experience for my acceptance at SGU and will be starting in August if I don’t get off the waitlist! Also visiting before I go lol

In the same situation as you! Waitlisted at western but need large animal experience for my acceptance at SGU and will be starting in August if I don’t get off the waitlist! Also visiting before I go lol
Do you guys know what happens if we can’t find large animal experience? I’ve reached out to almost all the large animal vets within 1.5 hours of me and none have gotten back to me with good news or just not at all. I’ll be devastated if it makes me unable to come in August!

Do you guys know what happens if we can’t find large animal experience? I’ve reached out to almost all the large animal vets within 1.5 hours of me and none have gotten back to me with good news or just not at all. I’ll be devastated if it makes me unable to come in August!

If you don’t get the experience they require you cannot start in August. I am having the same problem but I have an acceptance at Ross to fall back on.

Same!! When do you plan to visit?

When I had to get the extra experience to come here, I was told either I could get the experience and auto come or I tell them I want my application to be viewed as is. Chances are if you do the second option you'll probably not be accepted.

When I had to get the extra experience to come here, I was told either I could get the experience and auto come or I tell them I want my application to be viewed as is. Chances are if you do the second option you'll probably not be accepted.
Oh, gotcha. Do you know if shadowing counts? I’ve had a couple vets tell me I was welcome to come shadow but only for two weeks time spans which won’t fulfill the amount of hours.

Oh, gotcha. Do you know if shadowing counts? I’ve had a couple vets tell me I was welcome to come shadow but only for two weeks time spans which won’t fulfill the amount of hours.

I did mine in a "shadow manner" and learned more compared to trying to apply to work somewhere. They don't care as long as its with a veterinary and meets the required hours. The vet will have to write a letter about your experience and their opinion about you to the school afterwards. I'd try to be interactive and show you want to learn compared to only being there to fill the hours because some vets won't want to waste their time if thats the case. I got to help hold an eye open while the veterinary "tried" to not cut our fingers to remove a mass from the eye. It was pretty cool. I also helped retrieve vaccines and other things for him prior to even being asked or letting him get first if I hear him telling the owners what the plan is today. He allowed me to "write" some of his exam notes during the car ride to next appointment which some vets may not allow.

Did you make your plans to visit through the travel agent? I've been trying to contact him with no luck

Does anybody know if going to SGU will limit my ability to get into research medicine? I haven't seen a whole lot about research on the island and feel like a lot of information I'm finding is tailored by the school. Thanks!

Did you make your plans to visit through the travel agent? I've been trying to contact him with no luck

Same. I filled out the "See SGU" form like a week ago, but haven't heard anything. I'm going to try to call tomorrow

I’m thinking about visiting SGU through the See SGU program. Does anyone know the cost or how long we stay there?

I'm about to contact the travel agent tomorrow regarding the See SGU program! But regardless I'm 95% sure I am going to accept my seat for the VFP for August!!

I’m thinking about visiting SGU through the See SGU program. Does anyone know the cost or how long we stay there?

I called today so I will share what I heard.
It is a 3 night, 4 day event. Flights from Orlando (where I would fly from) have a layover in Miami and connect to Grenada. For the period of March 25-28 that I was interested in, a flight was ~$675. For hotel options, there was the Raddison that was in a central town location with beach property; that was $260-311 PER NIGHT. The other hotel option was True Blue something, which I guess must be closer to the school, but I don't know the price for that one because it was not available for the dates I was looking for. You must book your experience through the school's travel agent and you are responsible for paying everything (flights, hotel, and transportation, food, etc.) The school will only reimburse you for the cost of a flight and 3 night hotel stay if you end up attending the school.
I decided that was too much money for me to front, so I wont be doing the See SGU program. It sounds like a good option for those who can afford it though.
I'll just wait to start experiencing Grenada until I arrive for school lol

It is a 3 night, 4 day event. Flights from Orlando (where I would fly from) have a layover in Miami and connect to Grenada. For the period of March 25-28 that I was interested in, a flight was ~$675. For hotel options, there was the Raddison that was in a central town location with beach property; that was $260-311 PER NIGHT. The other hotel option was True Blue something, which I guess must be closer to the school, but I don't know the price for that one because it was not available for the dates I was looking for. You must book your experience through the school's travel agent and you are responsible for paying everything (flights, hotel, and transportation, food, etc.) The school will only reimburse you for the cost of a flight and 3 night hotel stay if you end up attending the school.
I decided that was too much money for me to front, so I wont be doing the See SGU program. It sounds like a good option for those who can afford it though.

Do you know if you can do the See SGU program if you've already accepted your offer? Or is it just for people who are deciding if they want to accept? I would love to go and see the campus before attending but I've accepted my offer

Do you know if you can do the See SGU program if you've already accepted your offer? Or is it just for people who are deciding if they want to accept? I would love to go and see the campus before attending but I've accepted my offer

Sorry, I dont know the answer to that one as I haven't sent my deposit in yet or anything. I don't see why not, but I would call and ask them to be sure.

That sounds way out of my price range. Thanks for sharing! There’s a pretty good chance I’ll end up there in August so I guess it’ll be a surprise. It’s going to feel so weird not to have snow half the year

The school will actually reimburse you for your trip to visit the school if you accept their offer. I know a few people who came to visit the island before and after accepting.

Does anybody know if going to SGU will limit my ability to get into research medicine? I haven't seen a whole lot about research on the island and feel like a lot of information I'm finding is tailored by the school. Thanks!
I don't think it would. We actually have a research course that you take pretty much every semester learning how to write papers analyzing research and they do tell you about research opportunities through the school. They also have a program called Island veterinary scholars that you can do that involves you doing research on the island.

The research program at SGU is not the strongest (I'm one of the students that does it consistently.) There aren't any prestigious labs or scientists for you to work under for like 3 years with a big journal publication (I'd like to be proved wrong though.) That being said, if you're just interested in getting some exposure to research then there are plenty of small projects. There are lot of survey studies especially on tropical infectious diseases here. Plus as someone else mentioned, you can always apply for summer research programs (IVSP, BI/NIH whatever, Colorado State has a summer program too, etc.) Long story short, we're not Cornell/Penn when it comes to research.

I’m going!!