This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snickerdoodle1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am going to be shadowing an ER doctor soon and am not sure what to wear. I asked what the preference was and they told me that I can either wear scrubs or professional attire. Does anyone have any recommendations based on experience?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I think most hospitals should have scrubs you can change into. At least that was the case where I was at for undergrad

Reactions: 1 user
I think most hospitals should have scrubs you can change into. At least that was the case where I was at for undergrad
They didnt say they just told me to either wear scrubs or professional clothing

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are male, shirt and tie can't go wrong.

If you a female, something equivalent.

I always do business casual unless explicitly told otherwise.

An undergrad student shadowed and he wore button up/tie/slacks but the attendings don't really care unless you show up in a Tshirt and jeans lol Wear what3ever you feel comfortable in. (Scrubs are super comfy btw lol)

Just because you probably don't have easy access to scrubs, I would wear a long sleeve button down, a tie, and slacks with professional looking shoes. If you are a female, wear what you would wear to a professional event minus jacket (though perhaps some of our female members can comment with more specific instructions).

If you have access to scrubs and they said scrubs are fine, wear scrubs + clean non-flashy athletic shoes (black or white none of that neon orange or green stuff). Scrubs are awesome.

Hi everyone! They said that I can wear scrubs and I do have access to them easily.. I was just a little worried that it would seem somewhat unprofessional? But since they said they are okay it should be okay.

Wear scrubs - leave the top untucked, they are the standard within the ED. Every person hanging out as a shadow while I scribe for the physician has worn scrubs. Additionally, you will blend in while you are shuffling around the floor and during patient encounters.

Professional +1

If they feel strongly about it, they'll almost certainly give you scrubs - why would an undergrad just have a pair laying around? So unless they specifically tell you something, business casual is fine - or at least it worked for me.

Just because you probably don't have easy access to scrubs, I would wear a long sleeve button down, a tie, and slacks with professional looking shoes. If you are a female, wear what you would wear to a professional event minus jacket (though perhaps some of our female members can comment with more specific instructions).

If you have access to scrubs and they said scrubs are fine, wear scrubs + clean non-flashy athletic shoes (black or white none of that neon orange or green stuff). Scrubs are awesome.

Listen to this advice - it's spot on. If they want you to wear scrubs and not professional attire (in case they could get dirty or etc.), then they could provide you with some to change into when you're there. I had to change into scrubs when I shadowed a surgeon, but I still dressed professionally when shadowing him in the office and during his rounds before surgeries. When I needed to wear scrubs, I was given them. Professional attire is your best bet, especially if you might want a LOR out of this experience.