should go to Maryland and Pittsburgh interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherryblossom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Have both interviews in less than a week but havent bought plane tix yet. pittsburgh plane tix are soo expensive but baltimore ones arent as expensive. I've already been to 6 interviews very recently so haven't heard back from many schools yet. Which interview should I go to? Doesn't maryland prefer their own in-state students? Is Pittsburgh worth going to? and since I'm interviewing so late, do I even have a close chance of getting in? I"m just really confused on what to do now. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can best answer the question on your own following these general guidelines.
1. Have you been accepted anywhere yet?
2. If answer is 'yes' to #1... would you rather go to pitt or umd over that school?
3. If answer is 'no' to #1... of course you should go to the interviews silly. You don't need to ask us!

You will prob get into one of your 6 though so if your stats are good save your $$. I'm a HUGE help! Both pitt and umd let in about 56 out of staters but i think umd has a bigger class.

I've only gotten into nova so far and i know i dont want to go there. I already got rejected to 2 schools. i havent heard back from the others cause i just went to those interviews last week. my stats are ok: 20 dat, 3.7 gpa for science and cumulative. i'm just worried i won't get in anywhere. I'm thinking about just going to MD for interviews and not going to Pitt. I'm not sure if i'd rather go to MD if i get in over the much more expensive private schools i want to go to. i guess i should just go so i dont regret it later. and i guess i just wont go to pitt?? man decisions are tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
also, rose mangold from pitt who i get keep getting emails from is sooo nice i'd feel bad if i didnt go to pitt...lol. but in the end i probably wont go.

Maryland and Pitt were my other two choices besides Buffalo. I loved both visits but I would probably have picked Maryland over Pitt. For out of staters, Maryland is about 3K less in tuition but living in Balitmore is more expensive than Pittsburgh so I don't know if cost is really that different. On the whole, they both have large patient pools, but I think Maryland's facilities are alot nicer. Pittsburgh toots its simulation clinic, but Maryland's one puts it to shame I think. Plus, i think the administration at MD was just as good as Pitt, if not nicer. Its your decision but thats my take on the situation. Also, from what I've learned its hard to get instate residency for tuition purposes at either school. I still have an offer from Maryland on the table, but I don't think I'll take it so my spot will open back up too. (Buffalo is instate for me so I'd save about 150K going there...Maryland was nice, but not 150K nicer:p )

also, rose mangold from pitt who i get keep getting emails from is sooo nice i'd feel bad if i didnt go to pitt...lol. but in the end i probably wont go.

If you probably will not go, you should give your spot to someone who would. 6 interviews is a lot, especially since you already got accepted. Plus, you'll save money from the flight and Pittsburgh is not a nice city to visit.

If you probably will not go, you should give your spot to someone who would. 6 interviews is a lot, especially since you already got accepted. Plus, you'll save money from the flight and Pittsburgh is not a nice city to visit.

not a nice city to visit? why not? do i just email them and say i'm not going? Thanks for everyone's advice :)

not a nice city to visit? why not? do i just email them and say i'm not going? Thanks for everyone's advice :)

Exactly. Just email them, and say you respectfully decline their offer to interview. Tell them how much you appreciate the offer, but you have decided on another dental school (even if you still haven't) and wish to give the PITT interview spot to another deserving student.

Easy! 2 seconds! Nothing to it! :) :)