Should I attend a UC, or a low-ranked school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungMoneyMint

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
So my brother (who is a transfer student a California Community College) has just finished applying to schools, and is making a list of what schools he would most like to attend, should he be accepted. He's a good student (3.8 GPA with 60 units completed), and he has some pretty exceptional extracurriculars. His question to me was; should he bother to attend a UC (UC Davis in particular), if his goal is to be accepted to Medical School. He has also applied to some lower-ranked schools (like the University of San Francisco). He's heard from several people that it's very difficult to go from a UC to Medical School, as opposed to attending a (decent) private school. Would it be better for him to just attend USF (or an equivalent), excel, and attend med school from there?

Members don't see this ad.

The University of CA is the best public school system in the nation, possibly the world.
I agree. There's no denying that it's a brilliant school system. The problem is, though, that a ton of pre-medical students regret going there because of the curves that are in place. The huge class sizes also make it almost impossible for professors to get to know you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
He's heard from several people that it's very difficult to go from a UC to Medical School
This statement is a strong contender for the most ridiculous thing I've heard in 2017. Also in the running: "I'm allergic to Ambien because it made me super-sleepy."

Whoever told him this should be laughed to scorn. @gyngyn is right.

The huge class sizes also make it almost impossible for professors to get to know you.
Baloney. I went to a very large private university and had some lectures with hundreds of students. My professors still got to know me personally because I made sure they did. Gotta grab the bull by the horns, my friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Baloney. I went to a very large private university and had some lectures with hundreds of students. My professors still got to know me personally because I made sure they did. Gotta grab the bull by the horns, my friend.
I second this. did not find it hard at all to get to know my professors and I go to a very large private university, just put in some effort

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys,
So my brother (who is a transfer student a California Community College) has just finished applying to schools, and is making a list of what schools he would most like to attend, should he be accepted. He's a good student (3.8 GPA with 60 units completed), and he has some pretty exceptional extracurriculars. His question to me was; should he bother to attend a UC (UC Davis in particular), if his goal is to be accepted to Medical School. He has also applied to some lower-ranked schools (like the University of San Francisco). He's heard from several people that it's very difficult to go from a UC to Medical School, as opposed to attending a (decent) private school. Would it be better for him to just attend USF (or an equivalent), excel, and attend med school from there?
UC, obviously. Also provides research opportunities, which are a great way to get to know professors. This is seriously a no brainer.

UC has merits, especially Berkeley.

I remember 25 years when I was finishing my fellowship at Boston Children's Hospital, we had the fellowship graduation dinner at Harvard Club at top of Prudential Building. At the award ceremony, the chair-in-chief invited every fellow up and recounted his CV. One of my fondest friend, who is a chatty Jewish, was the guy up. The chair recounted his CV; it was St. George Medical School and xxx low ranked residency. You can tell the chair was frowning when reading this less than dignified CV. Then he came across undergrad, "UC Berkeley". His face lit up and said " I KNEW it was somewhere in there !" We all got a good laugh out of it.

So UC has its merits. Don't know about Davis, but Berkeley is definitely a ++

I agree. There's no denying that it's a brilliant school system. The problem is, though, that a ton of pre-medical students regret going there because of the curves that are in place. The huge class sizes also make it almost impossible for professors to get to know you.

I went to a UC and had no problems developing relationships with professors when I wanted to. And I got some great letters for this cycle.

In regards to the curves, almost every class I took was curved to a C average. Is that abnormal?

I don’t think any of my premed friends regret attending this UC. In fact, 8/9 of us have been admitted so far this cycle, and I am confident it will end up being 9/9.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
My own school gets a fair number of our superstars from the UC system!

UC, but be prepared to get your butt kicked!

-from person who goes to UCLA

Reactions: 1 user
Most UCs have a system where only the top 10% of the class can get an A- or higher in any of the prereqs, with a class size of 300+. My biology lecture alone had over 800 people. Average scores are around high 60s to low 70s for every biology/gen chem/ochem/physics midterm.

Reactions: 1 users
As a person who went to a So-Cal UC, I don't recommend UC to premeds if they have smaller-scale private school offers. I personally regret going there for tuition purpose and declining some great private schools. It's just my personal opinion though.

However, if one only wants to choose among public schools, UC system is the best in the country. You get many research opportunities, thought not as easily acquired as in high-ranking private schools. You also get a big premed community. Most importantly, you will surely get a rigorous education with relatively low tuition.

UC has its cons, of course. Many already commented on its toxic premed environment. I already graduated, but from what I heard, it's getting worse. The huge class size can also be a problem, as you gotta be proactive to get your letters ready (kinda hard for people who prefer self-study.)

I decided to turn down UCLA for USC. Regretted it very much.

I just looked it up, and 6 out of 9 UC's are in the top 50 of USNews undergrad rankings, and all medical schools associated with the UC's (except Riverside, cause it's new) are in the top 1/3 of USNews medical school rankings.

I decided to turn down UCLA for USC. Regretted it very much.

I just looked it up, and 6 out of 9 UC's are in the top 50 of USNews undergrad rankings, and all medical schools associated with the UC's (except Riverside, cause it's new) are in the top 1/3 of USNews medical school rankings.

Why? At USC the school will connect you with all the necessary premed resources (shadowing, research, etc). At a UC (especially UCLA) you have to fight for resources and the administration will not support you as much. USC also has its own highly ranked medical school (Keck).

I found these two data to help you decide which school. Kind of funny UCI has a medical school, but their UG matriculation rate out of all UGs that applied is below the national average.

EDIT: I thought it over and it could be some applicants were too lazy to report they received an acceptance. Getting an acceptance is a time of great excitement where you want to tear the house down, so I guess forgetting to report your acceptance and ruining your school's data is possible, right?........ Right!? (comical effect)

http://sites.bio.uci.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Student-Statistics-Summary-Analysis-Handout.pdf

https://www.bio.uci.edu/wp-content/...s_Medical-School-Application-Numbers-2011.pdf

Why? At USC the school will connect you with all the necessary premed resources (shadowing, research, etc). At a UC (especially UCLA) you have to fight for resources and the administration will not support you as much. USC also has its own highly ranked medical school (Keck).

Sure. But it's not worth the astronomical tuition difference.

This statement is a strong contender for the most ridiculous thing I've heard in 2017. Also in the running: "I'm allergic to Ambien because it made me super-sleepy."

Whoever told him this should be laughed to scorn. @gyngyn is right.

Third this. I know a friend who smoked pot with a professor. Here, at Cal.