Program-Specific Info / Q's SJSU fall 2021 MSOT Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all! I also received a provisional acceptance email last night (my time stamp was Oct. 1). I have accepted the seat, being that SJSU was the only school I applied to. ◡̈ Wishing you all good luck! Excited for you.
Congratulations!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Y’all I just checked my email after reading all of these posts and I’VE BEEN ACCEPTED!!! Email was sent at 10:45 pm 12/2 so 10 minutes ago (!!!). Actually crying rn, it’s been a long road for me. I will be accepting the seat. I submitted my OTCAS app 9/8 and mailed the supplemental app pkt 9/26. Grad assistant got back to me on 10/8 and said they had everything. Sounds like if you applied within the first week or so you should find out soon! Best of luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I got an email last night saying I was accepted into the program! I got my application in the first week and believe it was timestamped the 2nd or 3rd of October(I didn't ask for an exact timestamp I just got a confirmation that they had received it) I also finished GAPE on the 1st of October but I don't think that was super important. good luck to everyone!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an acceptance email from SJSU last night! I will be declining because I've already committed to CSUDH so hopefully one of you lovely future OTs will take my spot. :) I turned in my physical application packet on Oct 1st and because I kind of messed up my OTCAS app (I didn't have it verified yet because SJSU was the first app I turned in through OTCAS), my application was timestamped for Oct 3rd. Best of luck to everyone!
Congrats!! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Y’all I just checked my email after reading all of these posts and I’VE BEEN ACCEPTED!!! Email was sent at 10:45 pm 12/2 so 10 minutes ago (!!!). Actually crying rn, it’s been a long road for me. I will be accepting the seat. I submitted my OTCAS app 9/8 and mailed the supplemental app pkt 9/26. Grad assistant got back to me on 10/8 and said they had everything. Sounds like if you applied within the first week or so you should find out soon! Best of luck everyone!
congrats!! I will see you in the fall fellow OT school buddy :)

Reactions: 1 users
I got an email last night saying I was accepted into the program! I got my application in the first week and believe it was timestamped the 2nd or 3rd of October(I didn't ask for an exact timestamp I just got a confirmation that they had received it) I also finished GAPE on the 1st of October but I don't think that was super important. good luck to everyone!!
Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats? My app was submitted Oct 1 and I’m anxiously waiting!

Oh I meant like when was your OTCAS verified and when were you able to turn in the documents to SJSU?
Oh sorry. I submitted on October 1st. I spoke with the graduate admissions assistant yesterday and she said my acceptance email was the 2nd to go out.

congrats!! I will see you in the fall fellow OT school buddy :)

Congrats!!! See you there!

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats? My app was submitted Oct 1 and I’m anxiously waiting!
yeah sure! Gre: V-158, Q-151, essay-4.5, cumulative GPA: 3.8, Prerequisite GPA: 3.9, 150 hours with an OT in a play therapy clinic, 30 hours with OT in school setting, 2 years working as a behavior technician with kids with autism. oh and I graduated from SJSU with major in kin. idk if they look at SJSU alumni differently. Good luck!!! please keep us updated, I'm sure you'll get in!

yeah sure! Gre: V-158, Q-151, essay-4.5, cumulative GPA: 3.8, Prerequisite GPA: 3.9, 150 hours with an OT in a play therapy clinic, 30 hours with OT in school setting, 2 years working as a behavior technician with kids with autism. oh and I graduated from SJSU with major in kin. idk if they look at SJSU alumni differently. Good luck!!! please keep us updated, I'm sure you'll get in!
Congrats on the acceptance!! Did they give you a date you'd need to confirm by?

Does anyone know if there's any chance they take fall 2020 grades into consideration? I applied in early Oct but I have 12 units that will probably boost my last 60 gpa by quite a bit

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there's any chance they take fall 2020 grades into consideration? I applied in early Oct but I have 12 units that will probably boost my last 60 gpa by quite a bit
only after you are accepted provisionally I believe, I'm not sure if good grades will boost your chances rather bad grades could take it away after, if that makes sense.

Congrats to everyone who was accepted already!!!

Has anyone heard in past years when the class usually fills up? Unfortunately, the Sealed Volunteer Evaluation Forms & Right of Access forms from the OT I shadowed didn't arrive until November 5th, even though I had everything else submitted by October 7th, so my timestamp of submission was rather late.

Wow big congratulations to those of you who got accepted! If you don't mind sharing, I would love to see your stats. Thanks!! :) Woo

Wow big congratulations to those of you who got accepted! If you don't mind sharing, I would love to see your stats. Thanks!! :) Woo
I normally don’t share, but here you go :)

BA from SJSU in Child and Adolescent Development
Cum Laude
Dean’s List
Academic Honor’s List
152 V
146 Q
4.0 W
Overall GPA 3.58
Pre req 3.83

35 hrs Junior Counselor at OT summer day camp put on by SJSU MOT students doing level II fieldwork (peds)
48 hrs community setting, counselor at grief camp for children who have lost family members
19 hrs inpatient acute care
28 hrs SNF
40 hrs outpatient pediatrics

I do want to emphasize that I know I had a very strong personal statement and great LOR. I also wrote a statement of purpose for SJSU to really explain my interest and address my lower GRE scores.

I normally don’t share, but here you go :)

BA from SJSU in Child and Adolescent Development
Cum Laude
Dean’s List
Academic Honor’s List
152 V
146 Q
4.0 W
Overall GPA 3.58
Pre req 3.83

35 hrs Junior Counselor at OT summer day camp put on by SJSU MOT students doing level II fieldwork (peds)
48 hrs community setting, counselor at grief camp for children who have lost family members
19 hrs inpatient acute care
28 hrs SNF
40 hrs outpatient pediatrics

I do want to emphasize that I know I had a very strong personal statement and great LOR. I also wrote a statement of purpose for SJSU to really explain my interest and address my lower GRE scores.
Thanks for sharing and congrats!!

Oh hey, I did that same summer OT day camp, it was so fun! Did you also get the form signed by an OT from there? I wasn't able to get in contact so I just scanned my certificate of completion instead so I'm not sure if it counted.

Thanks for sharing and congrats!!

Oh hey, I did that same summer OT day camp, it was so fun! Did you also get the form signed by an OT from there? I wasn't able to get in contact so I just scanned my certificate of completion instead so I'm not sure if it counted.
Thank you!

Nice! No, I didn’t get it signed by anyone there b/c I couldn’t get in contact either. I added it to the “experience” section and talked about it in detail. It wasn’t in the observation section for hours on OTCAS. I talked abt the camp in my SOP so idk if they saw it on OTCAS, but they know I participated based on my SOP.

Hello future OT's. The waiting game is real!!!
Did anyone else hear back?

Hi all! I also received a provisional acceptance email last night (my time stamp was Oct. 1). I have accepted the seat, being that SJSU was the only school I applied to. ◡̈ Wishing you all good luck! Excited for you.
Congratulations!!!! What exactly does a time stamp mean? When I turned in my application in Oct I emailed the grad assistant about the status of my application and she said that they have received everything and that I am in line for my application to be reviewed. Does that mean I am good to go, or did I miss a step with being time stamped? Help haha.

Congratulations!!!! What exactly does a time stamp mean? When I turned in my application in Oct I emailed the grad assistant about the status of my application and she said that they have received everything and that I am in line for my application to be reviewed. Does that mean I am good to go, or did I miss a step with being time stamped? Help haha.
In my understanding, it basically means the time that the grad department received all of your materials and put it in line for review. Your app wouldn't be in line for review unless it was considered complete! So I think you should be good?? You can always ask for your timestamp as well

Does anyone know if SJSU looks at the "Experiences" section on OTCAS? It wasn't listed on their checklist. Do they just look at Volunteer Evaluation Forms & Right of Access forms for what experiences we've completed?

I hope they read the "Experiences" section because I couldn't get a Volunteer Evaluation form completed for each experience.

Thanks!!

Does anyone know if SJSU looks at the "Experiences" section on OTCAS? It wasn't listed on their checklist. Do they just look at Volunteer Evaluation Forms & Right of Access forms for what experiences we've completed?

I hope they read the "Experiences" section because I couldn't get a Volunteer Evaluation form completed for each experience.

Thanks!!
Unfortunately I was told by the graduate advisor that they do not look at the OTCAS or GAPE "experiences" section. They only look at our OT observation hours and community service hours that we listed on the Volunteer Evaluation Forms and any other experiences that we want to be considered should be included in the personal statement.

Unfortunately I was told by the graduate advisor that they do not look at the OTCAS or GAPE "experiences" section. They only look at our OT observation hours and community service hours that we listed on the Volunteer Evaluation Forms and any other experiences that we want to be considered should be included in the personal statement.
Thank you, hopeful.OT!

Oh no, that's such a bummer! I wish they did since it's challenging to get supervisors to fill out and mail paper forms :( I guess whatever happens is meant to be haha!

Can anyone tell me what the point is of filling out the OTCAS application? Is that mostly just for people who are applying to a lot of schools?
I'm wondering because I filled it out, but later realized SJSU and CSUDH didn't require it. So why did I spend the money/time filling that out? :rofl: And why would any student fill it out?

Can anyone tell me what the point is of filling out the OTCAS application? Is that mostly just for people who are applying to a lot of schools?
I'm wondering because I filled it out, but later realized SJSU and CSUDH didn't require it. So why did I spend the money/time filling that out? :rofl: And why would any student fill it out?
A majority of schools use OTCAS so I found it easier to just apply to schools on there as opposed to filling them all out individually and needed letters of rec to be sent to each school separately also. You can liken it to a 'common app' for undergrads. But yeah some schools don't require it I chose to not go with any that did not require it. Was a way to streamline it for sure.

Thank you, hopeful.OT!

Oh no, that's such a bummer! I wish they did since it's challenging to get supervisors to fill out and mail paper forms :( I guess whatever happens is meant to be haha!
Yes, I wish they did too :( Well I wish you the best of luck! Hopefully we will all hear back soon!

I received my acceptance!

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats!! Do you mind sharing when you mailed in your app?? ty :)
I sent it on October 1st. I’m a reapplicant though since I deferred last year if that makes a difference.

Has anyone who have submitted applications after Oct 1st heard back yet? The timestamp on my application is October 11th, I am wondering how far along are they in the review process. Also, does SJSU send out rejection letters or do you just keep waiting?

Has anyone who have submitted applications after Oct 1st heard back yet? The timestamp on my application is October 11th, I am wondering how far along are they in the review process. Also, does SJSU send out rejection letters or do you just keep waiting?

Mine was timestamped OCT 6th! And I havent heard anything yet . I'm hoping they send rejection letters so I'm not waiting until March. But I'll keep you updated on here as soon as I hear anything!

Mine was timestamped OCT 6th! And I havent heard anything yet . I'm hoping they send rejection letters so I'm not waiting until March. But I'll keep you updated on here as soon as I hear anything!
I think last year there was no rejection letter that was sent out. So typically if you don't hear back from them by the time range they give you, you can assume the spots have been filled. For us, that was April. Not sure if there are any changes this year, since it seems your timeline has been shifted earlier than ours.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, my application was time stamped October 1st and says “referred to grad department” on my account, but I have not heard any decision yet. Anybody else who’s time stamped the 1st as well that hasn’t heard?

Hi everyone! Did anyone hear back after the holidays?
No!! I'm still waiting. I emailed them and they said they are behind because of COVID and the holidays.....

Does anyone know what date they're on? :0 Praying for all of us!! Lol

Hi everyone! Did anyone hear back after the holidays?
Hello everyone!

I also haven’t received any notification, but looking back at old threads it looks like only a handful of people got notifications in December while the rest started hearing back in February.

Wishing us all good luck this cycle!

Hey everyone!!! I just got my conditional acceptance email on 1/13 at 10pm and I'm going to be accepting my seat! Wishing the best of luck to those who are still waiting to hear back!❤️

Reactions: 6 users
Hi! Woooo! I got my provisional acceptance tonight :) Wishing good luck to everyone waiting as well!

Reactions: 7 users
Hey everyone!!! I just got my conditional acceptance email on 1/13 at 10pm and I'm going to be accepting my seat! Wishing the best of luck to those who are still waiting to hear back!❤️
Congrats!! I also accepted my seat in the upcoming cohort and am so excited to meet everyone eventually!

Congratulations!!! Would you know when was the application timestamped?
Hi! I'm just chiming in on this thread now but I was accepted in December. The office confirmed that they'd received all my application materials on October 16. Hope this helps!

Hi! I'm just chiming in on this thread now but I was accepted in December. The office confirmed that they'd received all my application materials on October 16. Hope this helps!
Congratulations again! Thank you so much, that definitely helps!