Program-Specific Info / Q's SJSU fall 2021 MSOT Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys know the latest they send out letters?
Searching through old forums and I’m seeing acceptances from mid April and even in May. Waiting is tough! I don’t know if it’s too late that I should just expect a rejection.
here are my stats
Bachelors: Art studio
Cumulative GPA: 3.5
Last 60: 3.7
Prerequisites: all A’s
Letters of rec: anatomy/Physio professor, supervisor and BCBA at a a school I worked out for children with moderate to severe disabilities
Personal statement: I thought was pretty good, including experience with my daughter receiving OT services as a baby and toddler.
GRE: I don’t remember but I was a few points away from verbal, and 4.0 AW
Hours: 35 pediatric physical therapy, 35 pediatric occupational therapist
Work experience: a year working as an aide for public school elementary, middle and high school students with autism
A year working at a center with students with moderate to severe developmental disabilities
I applied 1/21 which makes me a little nervous.
I couldn’t do much more as I am a single mom, so I had to do my volunteer hours through work, I also put that in my application.
what do you guys think? Do I have a shot?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Searching through old forums and I’m seeing acceptances from mid April and even in May. Waiting is tough! I don’t know if it’s too late that I should just expect a rejection.
here are my stats
Letters of rec: anatomy/Physio professor, supervisor and BCBA at a a school I worked out for children with moderate to severe disabilities
Personal statement: I thought was pretty good, including experience with my daughter receiving OT services as a baby and toddler.
Work experience: a year working as an aide for public school elementary, middle and high school students with autism
A year working at a center with students with moderate to severe developmental disabilities
I couldn’t do much more as I am a single mom, so I had to do my volunteer hours through work, I also put that in my application.
Just a quick note to say how awesome you are for doing this as a single mom. I can only imagine how dedicated you've had to be. I did not apply to this school but your stats are GREAT. As someone with mediocre number stats who has been accepted everywhere I applied, I am certain it was strictly because of my personal statement and my letters of recommendation. Since you have said that those are the strongest parts of your app too, you should feel pretty good about your chances. I am wondering however, if this is the only school you applied to? I'm sure you know, but in California, SJSU and CSUDH are among the most competitive because of the affordable tuition. I hope you applied to other schools!! Still, you got this 💛

Reactions: 1 user
Just a quick note to say how awesome you are for doing this as a single mom. I can only imagine how dedicated you've had to be. I did not apply to this school but your stats are GREAT. As someone with mediocre number stats who has been accepted everywhere I applied, I am certain it was strictly because of my personal statement and my letters of recommendation. Since you have said that those are the strongest parts of your app too, you should feel pretty good about your chances. I am wondering however, if this is the only school you applied to? I'm sure you know, but in California, SJSU and CSUDH are among the most competitive because of the affordable tuition. I hope you applied to other schools!! Still, you got this 💛
Thank you so much!! That means a lot coming from someone else. Even if I don’t get in! I unfortunately only applied to SJSU because we live in Santa Cruz and wanted to stay close to family, but I probably should be looking at other schools. That’s great to hear they have affordable tuition! Thank you! This made my day! Best of luck on your journey as well. I heard “getting in is half the work” hehe

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!!
Omg that’s awesome!!!! Congratulations!!! I was also timestamped around that time and I haven’t heard back. I know they’re planning on sending out rejection letters early April so I’m losing hope :/ Do you mind me asking what your stats is?
Yes, I thought I didn’t have a chance since some people got accepted after my time stamp! I emailed both Katlyn and Gigi to get an update about my app and confirm my interest in the program. Not sure if that helped, but I wanted to be my own advocate!

my stats:
last 60 units gpa: 3.8
Prerequisite gpa: 3.8
GRE: 151 V 153 Q 4 AWA
*so glad they lifted the requirement!!

Volunteer evals:
2 OTs, 1 after school coordinator, 1 rehab program director

LORs
Peds OT supervisor, former BCBA supervisor, OT/rehab SNF area director, former tutoring boss/EDU professor

observation hours: 300+ Rehab aide in SNF, 200+ hand therapy aide, 80 hrs peds, 40 hrs adult day center, 60 volunteer hours at a school for the homeless population in sac

*still need to complete my anatomy course this semester and taking my skills course in the summer!

I applied to 3 schools: SJSU, SMU (waitlisted), CSUDH (rejected)

I’m honestly so grateful for this opportunity! I hope all those still waiting will hear good news soon! Best of luck everyone and hope to see you this fall!! ❤️

Reactions: 4 users
here are my stats
Your stats are pretty stellar to me! +the fact that you accomplished this as well as being a single mom 👏🏼 I’m not sure how far along they are on the admission process, but it wouldn’t hurt to email them and ask! I emailed both of them to ask for an update. Also, on the Facebook page for admitted students, there’s 87 people, but not everyone is from the fall 2021 cohort. So there’s still hope! Good luck 🙂 hope to see you in the fall!

Your stats are pretty stellar to me! +the fact that you accomplished this as well as being a single mom 👏🏼 I’m not sure how far along they are on the admission process, but it wouldn’t hurt to email them and ask! I emailed both of them to ask for an update. Also, on the Facebook page for admitted students, there’s 87 people, but not everyone is from the fall 2021 cohort. So there’s still hope! Good luck 🙂 hope to see you in the fall!
Thanks!! Your stats are awesome! Congrats again on getting in and I hope to see you in the fall as wel!! Fingers crossed!!

I'm not sure about admissions and class capacity. However, not everyone in the FB group so far is in the incoming cohort. Katlyn added some students from earlier cohorts to share insights.

Do you have a link to the facebook group page? I can't find it, thanks!

Congrats to those who got in already! Now to my fellow depressed prospects, I got an email saying that theyu will be giving out decisions within a week or two. Hang in there ✊🏻

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to those who got in already! Now to my fellow depressed prospects, I got an email saying that theyu will be giving out decisions within a week or two. Hang in there ✊🏻
Aha my fellow depressed prospects! That’s exactly how I feel! I got the same email back! Sending out all the good thought for us hanging in there! Feels like a lifetime

Sorry for yet another post. But does SJSU send out waitlist emails or should we just assume by now we are waitlisted ?

Sorry for yet another post. But does SJSU send out waitlist emails or should we just assume by now we are waitlisted ?
I'm not sure SJSU has a waitlist. (Someone can correct me if I am wrong) I always assumed that if I did not receive an acceptance, then I am rejected.

Not sure... Have you emailed Katlyn and asked? I emailed her a few times during the waiting game asking about my status... couldn't hurt to reach out! I really hope you hear back soon and hopefully its positive news!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure... Have you emailed Katlyn and asked? I emailed her a few times during the waiting game asking about my status... couldn't hurt to reach out! I really hope you hear back soon and hopefully its positive news!!
I emailed her and she said they are still reviewing my app, and I should know in a week or two! I’ve just read in previous forums they have a waitlist..guess we will see! Hoping for positive news too!

my SLP buddy said her program said they will all hear back by tomorrow, 4/15. I wonder if thats the case for us too..so nervous

my SLP buddy said her program said they will all hear back by tomorrow, 4/15. I wonder if thats the case for us too..so nervous
Idk..I have seen acceptances as late as may ..but most likely seats that declined and got given later? I honestly have no idea though

Congrats!! When were you time stamped? That’s such exciting news!
On the SJ portal, I turned in my application Oct 1. But because we had to turn some items through the mail, my last document was sent to them around Nov. 11-12 I think..

Thank you!!! Wow. I really thought I wasn't going to get in.

Bachelors: Sociology; Psychology
Last 60 Units GPA: 3.0
Prerequisite GPA: 3.8 (Still need to complete Neuroscience because my class didn't meet the prerequisite)
GRE: V: 152; Q: 155; W: 4
Volunteer/Observation: 30 hours of Geriatric Out-Patient; 100 hours of Pediatric Out-Patient
Experience: 1 year of student wellness intern, 100 hours of student sexual/domestic assault intern, 3 years of BT with adults with disabilities, 1/2 year of case managing for adults with disabilities
LoR: 1 PT, 1 Pediatric OT Supervisor, 2 Pediatric OTs, 1 Geriatric OT, 1 BT Supervisor, and 1 A&P Professor

Acceptances: SJSU, WCU, Stanbridge; (declined interviews from Dominican and St. Augustine)
Thank you so much! You have awesome stats! ^_^ Congrats again and wishing you the best of luck in the fall!

Hi all!!! Phew, that waiting game was rough.... but I just found out on Thursday night, I GOT IN!!! :)

However here is the tricky part- I work fulltime, so getting my prerequisites done has been slow. I still need to take 3 classes this summer (neuroscience, physiology and abnormal psyc).

Does anyone know if they defer enrollment? Or else I can quit my job, take out a loan and knock them out... however they are pretty tough courses from the sounds of it. And as we know I would need to get at least a B in all of them. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I hope to talk to admissions this week and get their thoughts.

Best of luck to you all.... hang in there!!!

Sally

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all!!! Phew, that waiting game was rough.... but I just found out on Thursday night, I GOT IN!!! :)

However here is the tricky part- I work fulltime, so getting my prerequisites done has been slow. I still need to take 3 classes this summer (neuroscience, physiology and abnormal psyc).

Does anyone know if they defer enrollment? Or else I can quit my job, take out a loan and knock them out... however they are pretty tough courses from the sounds of it. And as we know I would need to get at least a B in all of them. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I hope to talk to admissions this week and get their thoughts.

Best of luck to you all.... hang in there!!!

Sally
Congrats!
sorry I can’t answer your question, do you mind me asking when you were timestamped and what your stats are?
congrats! That’s such amazing news

Congrats!
sorry I can’t answer your question, do you mind me asking when you were timestamped and what your stats are?
congrats! That’s such amazing newsL
Np! Sure, I believe it was timestamped November 24th. But sooo worth the wait! Based on your stats, I feel like you will get in! 🤞

Ugh this waiting is too real! I really really hope they let all of us who are still waiting by the end of the week 🤞 Good luck!!

Reactions: 2 users
Ugh this waiting is too real! I really really hope they let all of us who are still waiting by the end of the week 🤞 Good luck!!
Seriously I’ve been checking my email and this thread constantly, it seems like so late to be hearing. I’ve heard people hear back in may and sometimes as late as August? Not sure that’s 100% accurate though. When did you submit your app? Mine was around mid-late January :/

Seriously I’ve been checking my email and this thread constantly, it seems like so late to be hearing. I’ve heard people hear back in may and sometimes as late as August? Not sure that’s 100% accurate though. When did you submit your app? Mine was around mid-late January :/
Gosh I hope it isn't that late. Mostly because this is my top school and I have already heard back from all of my other programs. I submitted around the same time as you because I was not totally sure I was going to try for this cycle until the end of last year. Good luck to you! Your stats are great so let's hope we all hear good news soon!

I'd imagine people will still hear back in the following months. Especially because many were conditionally accepted, upon finishing pre-reqs etc.
I still need to take neuro this summer. I'd imagine some people may not be able to get their pre-reqs done, may not have the right financial position due to COVID or other things, or just may decide being a student isnt right for them this year... you just never know peoples reasons for deferring or not accepting their spot.
I literally JUST moved before I was accepted, and was really assessing whether or not I can realistically afford everything and be a student again, but I'm going to bite the bullet and take out loans. But its a good question to ask, what if someone is accepted but decides in June or July they can't/don't want to go? There must be a waitlist or something!?

I'd imagine people will still hear back in the following months. Especially because many were conditionally accepted, upon finishing pre-reqs etc.
I still need to take neuro this summer. I'd imagine some people may not be able to get their pre-reqs done, may not have the right financial position due to COVID or other things, or just may decide being a student isnt right for them this year... you just never know peoples reasons for deferring or not accepting their spot.
I literally JUST moved before I was accepted, and was really assessing whether or not I can realistically afford everything and be a student again, but I'm going to bite the bullet and take out loans. But its a good question to ask, what if someone is accepted but decides in June or July they can't/don't want to go? There must be a waitlist or something!?
Yes that what I was thinking, or they haven’t made decisions for people who applied at the last minute (me) haha!
Its just hard to get prepared if I am to hear back in say, August, but those situations are totally valid and understandable, and would make sense.
That’s a great question too!
Well good for you for biting the billet, it will be so worth it!

For what it's worth, I was volunteering at an OT clinic in San Jose, and there was a current OT student from USC who was doing fieldwork there. She said she was accepted into SJSU in late July, so I think it is definitely possible for people to get admitted later on in the process depending on how full the class is. She had already accepted her seat at USC and made plans to attend there though, so she turned down her spot at SJSU.

I'm really sorry to hear that and thank you for giving us an update.
Thank you.
They said they filled the cohort before they even “reached my application”. So I didn’t even know if it was reviewed.
:/

Last edited:
Thank you.
They said they filled the cohort before they even “reached my application”. So I didn’t even know if it was reviewed.
:/
I am very sorry to hear that you didn't get accepted this time around. Thank you for the update. It's good to know that the cohort is most likely full. The waiting game is not easy so hopefully I will hear back soon as well even if it is a rejection letter.

I was informed today, I did not get in :(
I am so sorry to hear this - this happened to me last year so I know what you're feeling. Did you reach out to them or did they reach out to you? I still haven't heard anything and I made sure to apply by late October this year :/

I am so sorry to hear this - this happened to me last year so I know what you're feeling. Did you reach out to them or did they reach out to you? I still haven't heard anything and I made sure to apply by late October this year :/
They reached out with a general rejection letter and I responded asking for advice/what I could have improved, I think I submitted way too late (mid-late January).
I hope you hear back soon and it’s good news! I can’t imagine how tough that is waiting to hear back a second time around! I hope you get in!

I was informed today, I did not get in :(
Ugh I am so sorry to hear that! I also got an email yesterday stating that I didn't get in and I am so bummed. I didn't even really realize how much I wanted to go until it wasn't an option. I haven't reached out to them yet to check in about what I could do better, but I have a feeling it is similar to what you said about the cohort being full. I applied around the same time as you. However, since I got the email, I was thinking back about what I could have done better and I've been worried about them not even seeing all of my work experience in a rehab hospital, community home, and school for differently abled children or all of my observation hours because I read on a forum from last year that they don't even look at the OTCAS experiences, just the volunteer forms, which I didn't send in for my work experience. I would honestly feel a lot better if it is simply because of a full cohort and not because of a lack of experience in the field. Does anyone know if there is a waitlist or just rejections and they hope all the acceptances they've sent fill the cohort?

Ugh I am so sorry to hear that! I also got an email yesterday stating that I didn't get in and I am so bummed. I didn't even really realize how much I wanted to go until it wasn't an option. I haven't reached out to them yet to check in about what I could do better, but I have a feeling it is similar to what you said about the cohort being full. I applied around the same time as you. However, since I got the email, I was thinking back about what I could have done better and I've been worried about them not even seeing all of my work experience in a rehab hospital, community home, and school for differently abled children or all of my observation hours because I read on a forum from last year that they don't even look at the OTCAS experiences, just the volunteer forms, which I didn't send in for my work experience. I would honestly feel a lot better if it is simply because of a full cohort and not because of a lack of experience in the field. Does anyone know if there is a waitlist or just rejections and they hope all the acceptances they've sent fill the cohort?
I’m sorry to hear that, I was told to just apply as early as possible, but not given anymore specifics pertaining to my application, although I asked if it was even reviewed haha..I mean it would be nice to know if it’s just the time and not our app 😆
Sounds like you have an awesome, varied background in the field and I don’t think that would be a cause for rejection. I honestly think we just have to apply as early as possible. I too, have work experience, volunteer experience, and years of observing my daughter in occupational therapy, so honestly I think we just have to apply earlier. I plan on reapplying, I hope you do too! And if you do, we should link up and maybe see what areas to strengthen in the meantime!

Did you guys get emails or letter in the mail? I know last year I applied absolutely last minute - I wasn't even planning on applying. I got a rejection letter in the mail saying cohort was full. This year I applied right away and haven't heard anything. I'm worried my letter in the mail might be coming :/
Also, on my sjsu it says 'referred to grad dept" for me still, does it say that for you guys as well?

Did you guys get emails or letter in the mail? I know last year I applied absolutely last minute - I wasn't even planning on applying. I got a rejection letter in the mail saying cohort was full. This year I applied right away and haven't heard anything. I'm worried my letter in the mail might be coming :/
Also, on my sjsu it says 'referred to grad dept" for me still, does it say that for you guys as well?
It says that for me still. I received an email foe the grad dept. I hope you receive good news!

I just heard that final decisions will be sent out this week. I hope that you get accepted simplynihada! Not sure if it will be sent via email or mail, but best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back 🤞

Thanks for answering all my worrisome questions. For those still waiting, I wish the best for you too! I will update when I hear back.

• Care
So you would get an email first then an official hard copy letter in the mail. As for the my sjsu status, it takes awhile before it changes, so the first notification is usually through email :)

Good luck!

I just wanted to say one more thing for those who didn’t get in: I guess my app wasn’t reviewed at all (due to the cohort already being full and my app turned in so late) which is so frustrating with all the time and energy spent for it not to be looked at. BUT, the grad advisor offered to review my app and give me feedback. I thought that was pretty cool! Maybe some insight for next cycle.

I just wanted to say one more thing for those who didn’t get in: I guess my app wasn’t reviewed at all (due to the cohort already being full and my app turned in so late) which is so frustrating with all the time and energy spent for it not to be looked at. BUT, the grad advisor offered to review my app and give me feedback. I thought that was pretty cool! Maybe some insight for next cycle

So I am not super familiar with all the details of rolling admission, but is that ever the case that an application just isn't even reviewed? I mean even if the class is full wouldn't they at least review it to then decide if you should be on the waitlist or not accepted?