This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoolLuWhip

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I'm currently going to apply to medical school for the next cycle as I am a current senior and I need some help regarding deciding if I should do a SMP or not! Im looking into applying about 30 schools both MD & DO but I recently got accepted to an SMP program at Kansas City University, and am also applying to Tufts MBS and Rosalind Franklin MBS programs. Im debating whether I should do an SMP program during my gap year while I am applying to schools. If anyone could help, that would be great. Im just afraid I might have a weak GPA or MCAT score for MD schools. I also am worried that if I dont get in this cycle, at least I finished my SMP and can reapply the next year. On the other hand, if I don't get into an med school and then take a SMP after and then apply after that, that would be three years rather than just 2 if I just did the SMP while I apply my first round. I also hear back and forth that taking an SMP during applications can help you and then i hear some schools don't like it and would wait until you finish your SMP. From reading posts, I hear there's a good amount of people who take SMP while they are applying and get in. Anywhoo please let me know what your thoughts and opinions are! Thanks!

Resident: California
University: Small Liberal Arts University
Major: Biology
CGPA: 3.5 (okay trend, besides senior year basically 4.0 both semesters)
SGPA: 3.43
MCAT: Unknown (took it in March) but hoping for 508<
Departmental Honors
6 Strong LORs (2 science, 1 non science, 2 doctors, 1 manager of clinic)
Very Strong ECs (Research, Scribe, Internships, Volunteer etc)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone!

I'm currently going to apply to medical school for the next cycle as I am a current senior and I need some help regarding deciding if I should do a SMP or not! Im looking into applying about 30 schools both MD & DO but I recently got accepted to an SMP program at Kansas City University, and am also applying to Tufts MBS and Rosalind Franklin MBS programs. Im debating whether I should do an SMP program during my gap year while I am applying to schools. If anyone could help, that would be great. Im just afraid I might have a weak GPA or MCAT score for MD schools. I also am worried that if I dont get in this cycle, at least I finished my SMP and can reapply the next year. On the other hand, if I don't get into an med school and then take a SMP after and then apply after that, that would be three years rather than just 2 if I just did the SMP while I apply my first round. I also hear back and forth that taking an SMP during applications can help you and then i hear some schools don't like it and would wait until you finish your SMP. From reading posts, I hear there's a good amount of people who take SMP while they are applying and get in. Anywhoo please let me know what your thoughts and opinions are! Thanks!

Resident: California
University: Small Liberal Arts University
Major: Biology
CGPA: 3.5 (okay trend, besides senior year basically 4.0 both semesters)
SGPA: 3.43
MCAT: Unknown (took it in March) but hoping for 508<
Departmental Honors
6 Strong LORs (2 science, 1 non science, 2 doctors, 1 manager of clinic)
Very Strong ECs (Research, Scribe, Internships, Volunteer etc)
Applying to an SMP in the midst of an MD/DO app cycle can be considered insurance, especially if you're boning for the MD

You're in a marathon now, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere. Your GPAs are fine for any DO school, including mine.

As of right now, focus on the MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying to an SMP in the midst of an MD/DO app cycle can be considered insurance, especially if you're boning for the MD

You're in a marathon now, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere. Your GPAs are fine for any DO school, including mine.

As of right now, focus on the MCAT
Sorry, I should clarify a little. So I would be applying this June application cycle for MD/DO schools and I would be doing my SMP during the application cycle. Do you think I should just do the application and not worry about attending an SMP? I just thought that when looking at my application, if theres one thing I could work on would be an SMP rather than a job since I think I have pretty strong ECs and work experience.

Sorry, I should clarify a little. So I would be applying this June application cycle for MD/DO schools and I would be doing my SMP during the application cycle. Do you think I should just do the application and not worry about attending an SMP? I just thought that when looking at my application, if theres one thing I could work on would be an SMP rather than a job since I think I have pretty strong ECs and work experience.
No need to worry for DO school.

MD schools will want to see how you do in the entire SMP.

Reactions: 1 user