This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orange_elephants

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here are the facts:

-I am a TN resident. I am a biochemistry & molecular bio major at Mississippi State University. Current GPA: 3.65 and BPCM 3.56. I'm taking the MCAT in June.
-Extracurriculars: sorority (2 leadership positions), went to Nicaragua on a medical trip with global brigades, worked for 2 summers at a summer camp, worked 1 summer as an au pair in Spain, and have worked 3 years as a navigator (mentor to freshmen and TA). Volunteered at humane society, treasurer of biochemistry club, member of physicians on the rise/AMSA, honors college and national society of collegiate scholars. Also have shadowing hours.
-I believe I will also have excellent recommendation letters and I'm working on my personal statement.
-I graduate in May and plan on working as a scribe and as a worker who checks babies to make sure they aren't deaf

I have a friend who is from Memphis and also applying to med school. She's told me that it's pretty tough to get into UT, especially since average MCAT score is 510 (same with ETSU). I know it's less competitive to get into med school in MS. So I'm wondering what y'alls opinions are of whether I should change my residency to MS so I can apply there since they only take in state applicants (I am eligible to change my residency). Any advice/opinions?? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Come back with an MCAT score. Are you applying this cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
Come back with an MCAT score. Are you applying this cycle?
Yes I am. But I'm afraid that by the time I get my score back it will be too late to change my residency if I want to. I'm taking it June 30th. Any thoughts of what MCAT score I should aim for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any clinical hours? How about nonclinical hours that impacted those in the community less fortunate than yourself? Do you have the MSAR? What are GPA 10-90th percentiles for the TN schools and MS schools? What
are their MCAT averages?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yes I am. But I'm afraid that by the time I get my score back it will be too late to change my residency if I want to. I'm taking it June 30th. Any thoughts of what MCAT score I should aim for?

Aim as high as possible of course! If you are not getting around 508+ on practice tests, I would wait until next cycle and become a stronger applicant to increase your chance for MD schools unless you are also looking at DO schools. The residency status you choose is up to you - your MCAT score (how are you doing on practice tests, if you've taken any yet?), which environment you prefer, possible residency programs that interest you, and if your GPA/MCAT are appropriate for more TN or MS schools. As candbgirl said, invest in the MSAR.

Do you have any clinical hours? How about nonclinical hours that impacted those in the community less fortunate than yourself? Do you have the MSAR? What are GPA 10-90th percentiles for the TN schools and MS schools? What
are their MCAT averages?

Yes I have about 40 hours shadowing an OB/GYN and am going to shadow 10 different types of doctors this summer in a hospital.
UMMC: Average MCAT ~504. GPA 10th-90th percentile: 3.36-4
UT: Average MCAT is 510. GPA 10th-90th percentile: 3.34-3.97
ETSU: Average MCAT is 510. GPA 10th-90th percentile: 3.32-3.97

Yes I have about 40 hours shadowing an OB/GYN and am going to shadow 10 different types of doctors this summer in a hospital.
UMMC: Average MCAT ~504. GPA 10th-90th percentile: 3.36-4
UT: Average MCAT is 510. GPA 10th-90th percentile: 3.34-3.97
ETSU: Average MCAT is 510. GPA 10th-90th percentile: 3.32-3.97
40-50 hours of primary care is plenty. There is really no need for 10 specialties!

You are fine GPA wise for all of the TN and MS schools. As someone said shoot for as high of a MCAT score as you can. If you aren't scoring at or above your goal
score on your practice tests put off the test. Your score will follow you forever.

Now what about clinical experience and nonclinical experiences? Your 40 hours of shadowing is fine.

You are fine GPA wise for all of the TN and MS schools. As someone said shoot for as high of a MCAT score as you can. If you aren't scoring at or above your goal
score on your practice tests put off the test. Your score will follow you forever.

Now what about clinical experience and nonclinical experiences? Your 40 hours of shadowing is fine.

-Extracurriculars: sorority (treasurer and VP of Finance), went to Nicaragua on a medical trip with global brigades, worked for 2 summers at a summer camp, worked 1 summer as an au pair in Spain, and have worked 3 years as a navigator (mentor to freshmen and TA to classes for struggling freshmen). Volunteered at humane society, treasurer of biochemistry club, member of physicians on the rise/AMSA, honors college and national society of collegiate scholars. Also have shadowing hours.
-I believe I will also have excellent recommendation letters and I'm working on my personal statement.
-I graduate in May and plan on working as a scribe and as a worker who checks babies to make sure they aren't deaf

-Extracurriculars: sorority (treasurer and VP of Finance), went to Nicaragua on a medical trip with global brigades, worked for 2 summers at a summer camp, worked 1 summer as an au pair in Spain, and have worked 3 years as a navigator (mentor to freshmen and TA to classes for struggling freshmen). Volunteered at humane society, treasurer of biochemistry club, member of physicians on the rise/AMSA, honors college and national society of collegiate scholars. Also have shadowing hours.
Those "medical missions" are not necessarily an asset to an application.
https://www.aamc.org/download/474346/data/clinicalexperiencesshadowingsurvey.pdf

Medical missions are treated as medical tourism.

Last edited:
So my questions remain. What have you done clinically-what have you done to show you understand what you are getting involved in by choosing Medicine- how do you know you even want to work with or be around sick and injured people for the next 40+ years? It's just fine to be a scribe after you graduate but to apply without clinical experience is a great big mistake.What have you done to show your altruism? What have you done to help those less fortunate than you? Have you worked in a homeless shelter, soup kitchen , habitat for humanity etc? Medicine is a service profession. ADCOMS want to see evidence of your altruism. From what you have shared, I don't see evidence of that.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app