St. George or Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD driven

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.8 gpa and an 18 8P,7B,3V on the MCAT. I just applied to Ross and St. George. Can anyone tell me my chances or if it is crazy to apply this late
for September 2007 class.

thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of those places myself, but with those MCAT scores being so much lower than your GPA, you may want to consider either taking some time to build up your resume and retake the MCATs. If you're content with the 18 (and seriously, how did you make that 3?) try for podiatry school or something since I think their average score is around 20 or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that both Ross and SGU are considered overseas allopathic institutions and that you will be considered a FMG when applying for residency programs. That's not to say that you won't get any positions, it's just something that may be more challenging.

Sheesh. Why is Allo turning into the Pre-med forum? All of these X vs X threads are annoying.

OP: Your post would be better answered in the Carribean forum

I completely agree,

but I still would like to hear more about that 3 in verbal. I would have thought that guessing would get a higher score than 3.

To answer the OP's question, I don't believe a late application will hinder the chance for acceptance due to these schools having multiple start times per year. They have classes that start in the fall, winter, spring and maybe summer courses.

I would retake the MCAT again though. It might take longer to apply but it will give you a much smoother path in the future.

Maybe his first language is not english-ya ever think of that bozo

I think it would be challenging to land a 3 in VR even as a 2nd language. That is just poor.

I think it would be challenging to land a 3 in VR even as a 2nd language. That is just poor.

Well, it IS a bell-shaped distribution... conceivably there are people out there who get 2's and *maybe* even a 1 :eek: !

(probably no 1's, but could you imagine a 2? good grief.)

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe he just fell asleep during the verbal section.

you know how boring that section can be..........

Might try preallo; how in God's name did you manage a 3 in VR?
really really sorry but I couldn't help burst out laughing after I read this......for a whole 5 min!!!!

again, sorry..............you should also post your question in the 'caribbean' section of the forum

I'd suggest retaking the mcat and explaining away your score as you were drunk when you took it. (ok maybe not that exact excuse but you get the idea). Sitting it out for a year and then getting into an American school would be a far better option that the Caribbean. Even on the Caribbean forum they'll tell you that it is the option of last resort, and I don't think you're there yet.

Also... 3 verbal?? Even Ross might reject you. Sorry to pile on, but, yeah.

yeah go take a a kaplan or a tpr course. I am as dumb as a bag of hammers an kaplan spun me up to a decent score in no time

You know...that 3V doesn't look so bad. For the august MCAT someone at my undergrad got an 8 total, yes an 8?!?! total wtf! And my atheist premed adiviser prayed that they wouldn't think about applying but they did.

. . . someone at my undergrad got an 8 total, yes an 8?!?! total wtf! And my atheist premed adiviser prayed that they wouldn't think about applying but they did.

They probably weren't going to apply, but then posted on SDN and got a bunch of "You can still get in!!!" responses . . .

I have a 3.8 gpa and an 18 8P,7B,3V on the MCAT. I just applied to Ross and St. George. Can anyone tell me my chances or if it is crazy to apply this late

thanks a lot
If you haven't take the MCAT more than once, you haven't tried. Especially with those scores. If you have a 3.8, then you must be doing SOMETHING right, assuming it's not in underwater basketweaving. So...retake the MCAT. Don't go carribean unless it's your last resort.

If that's your first MCAT, it isn't time for your last resort BUDDY. No giving up that easy.

I agree with above poster... if you have a 3.8 GPA you probably are doing something right and are capable of getting much higher than an 18 (what is that, 20 percentile?). If English is NOT your first language then ignore the rest of this... but are you honestly happy with an 18... more so that 3 in verbal? When the adcom evaluates you, do you want them to see you as someone who can't get more than an 18? In an interview, would you be willing to look your interviewer in the eye and say thats the best you can do? Med school requires a helluva lot of commitment. If you're willing to throw in the towel that easy, you're not gonna make it through 1st semester. Take the MCAT again! Good luck.

EDIT: According to a friend at SGU, the january term has lower admission standards than the September one. I heard applying for the May term at Ross is generally the easier one as well.

I could not sleep the night before. I got 24 on Kaplan. I just want to be a psychiatrist. St. George or Ross will get me there. I do not want to take another 2 years to get into medical school. If I have to take the MCAT again, I will consider DO.

Thanks, I had a bad DAY

I could not sleep the night before. I got 24 on Kaplan. I just want to be a psychiatrist. St. George or Ross will get me there. I do not want to take another 2 years to get into medical school. If I have to take the MCAT again, I will consider DO.

Thanks, I had a bad DAY
first of all, try not to get into an 8 yr bond of slavery because you already know what you want to do..........plenty of ppl change their mind, so its probably a good idea to give yourself the best option available (or atleast try for it)

second, I think this is why the MCAT system was revamped - to give ppl who had a 'bad day' a 2nd chance...........you can take the test like 6 times a year or something now........

finally, med school is hard...........probably harder than anything you've done before..............if you're not gonna try to beat a test like the MCAT now, what do you plan to do for class exams, usmle step 1, step 2, med boards.........

try again, u won't lose 2 yrs (where did u get that idea?).........and start getting into the habit of really studying hard from now on.......no point in getting into the habit of taking the easiest way out (not that carib is the easiest way out, I meant taking the MCAT once, getting a bad score and going straight down to the Carib w/o trying again even once)

cheers and good luck,
Knight

I go to SGU and think you would have a tough time getting in with an 18. They would probably ask you to retake it. Average entrants to SGU have somewhere in the high 20's, I think. I was accepted with a 3.5 and a 28.

I think with your high GPA you would have a good shot at US if you retook the MCAT. If it was about having a bad day, then I would try again for sure.

Good luck.

I go to SGU and think you would have a tough time getting in with an 18. They would probably ask you to retake it. Average entrants to SGU have somewhere in the high 20's, I think. I was accepted with a 3.5 and a 28.

Sorry for intruding, but as a pre-med about to apply to med school, I have to ask. With a 3.5 and a 28, why on earth did you go to SGU? Don't you have a state school? Or at least some EC's that would possibly get you in? Did you think about DO? Those stats would have been competitive for DO school. I'm just curious what the Carribean med school experience is like and I assumed their matriculates had way lower stats than yours.

Avg MCAT is 24 according to their website - similar to some DO schools.

thanks a lot
with an mcat score like that you might want to consider a caribbean school.

I have a friend at SGU who had a 3.0 with a 32. I know that the school isn't that easy to get in. Plus, you should keep in mind that as a FMG you will have to score something really decent on the Step I, so you might seriously consider improving your test taking skills. Best to practice this art on the MCAT (which you can take as many times as you like). Its also about confidence.. Trust me. Apply to SGU, even if you get in (which hopefully you will), still studying that verbal. Improve your verbal skills.

You're kidding, right? Ross and St. George ARE caribbean schools...

They are in the caribbean, but I believe they're technically US schools because Puerto Rico is a US territory. In that sense they're just slightly lower-stat versions of many state schools,and are fully accredited as such. Real "Caribbean" schools, on the other hand, are considered international by residencies and the gov't (impacting loans), and more or less take whoever can fork over the dough.

They are in the caribbean, but I believe they're technically US schools because Puerto Rico is a US territory. In that sense they're just slightly lower-stat versions of many state schools,and are fully accredited as such. Real "Caribbean" schools, on the other hand, are considered international by residencies and the gov't (impacting loans), and more or less take whoever can fork over the dough.
Uh...no they aren't. Cuz, Ross is in Dominica, which is an island in the caribbean and St. George is I have no idea where, but not in Puerto Rico...

Actually I think SGU is in Grenada.

Sorry for intruding, but as a pre-med about to apply to med school, I have to ask. With a 3.5 and a 28, why on earth did you go to SGU? Don't you have a state school? Or at least some EC's that would possibly get you in? Did you think about DO? Those stats would have been competitive for DO school. I'm just curious what the Carribean med school experience is like and I assumed their matriculates had way lower stats than yours.

Well, you would think, but it is fairly tough to get in these days! :) My science GPA was low, a 3.1, so I think that was the nail in the coffin. I took the science classes early in my college career and brought my grades up later, but, there were just more applicants with better scores. At my state school, there is an average of something like 4,000 applicants for 100 spots. I considered getting a Master's and trying to reapply but I'm ultimately glad I didn't; there are really brilliant people here at SGU with master's, PhDs and much better grades than I had and they still didn't get in. So I'm glad I just started here.

I picked SGU over DO because I figured if I was going to spend 4 years and the same amount of money, I would like to have the M.D. after my name. But I think DO is a great path to get you to where you want to go as well. There are a lot of really crappy Caribbean schools out there, but SGU (and probably Ross too) are great schools. I've been really impressed with the quality of my education here. I'll be starting 3rd year in New York in the fall.

Let me know if you have more questions!

I am currently attending Ross University in the beautiful island of Dominica in the West Indies. Yes, we will be considered IMG but our education is comparable to the US medical schools (kind of scary). Many students can easily enter this university but it is tough to stay. We take the shelves, USMLE, we do our rotations in US...... we are everywhere...... We don't have the comforts of home. We face more emotional challenges, which will make us better physicians :D ... and we study as much too.

It is a pretty good option.
We just have a lot to prove - go through more challenges.
But, I like Dominica and Ross so far.

:D

I am currently attending Ross University in the beautiful island of Dominica in the West Indies. Yes, we will be considered IMG but our education is comparable to the US medical schools (kind of scary). Many students can easily enter this university but it is tough to stay. We take the shelves, USMLE, we do our rotations in US...... we are everywhere...... We don't have the comforts of home. We face more emotional challenges, which will make us better physicians :D ... and we study as much too.

Lumberg: Mmm, yeah... I'm going to sorta have to...disagree with you on that one.

My aplogies to the OP but on his first post he was quite defensive and was pissed that people were telling him the truth. Well I'm not going to sugarcoat my opinion.
With a 3 in verbal and wanting to just roll to the carribean, i say go for it. You're more likely to be a statistic than an m.d. one day though.
If you had a "bad day" because you couldn't sleep well, join the other 20K test takers who are embarking on the test of their life. As a college student, you don't sleep early to begin with. And then with the mcat on the mind... forget about it. i don't think many people sleep more than 6 hrs the night before (do a poll if you want to).
Advice- don't give up. re take the test. its offered more now, and its shorter in length, so you won't have as much of a bad day. A good doctor wouldn't give up and if thats your dream, you shouldn't either.
ps- you never mentioned if english is your 2nd language or not.
(I guess i did sugar coat it a little...) :thumbup:

Lumberg: Mmm, yeah... I'm going to sorta have to...disagree with you on that one.

Actually, as someone who has worked with many Ross grads (in the form of residents and attendings at one of the teaching hospitals in LA), I have to disagree. Ross students work their butts off, and certainly are capable of doing very well on their boards, and in their clinical rotations. As with any med school, you get out of it what you put into it. I think that truly does apply to all schools. I know brilliant people that have gone to Ross, and a ***** who went to Harvard... and I know that the opposite can hold true, too. Absolutely, going to Ross is an uphill battle, but the grads that I've seen from there seem to be that much stronger and more dedicated for the experience.

That being said, I'm set to start at Ross in May; but I now have the possibility (I'll know in a few weeks) of going to LSUNO. Either way, I know that I'll get a good education, and reach the light at the end of the tunnel, one way or another... because I'm willing to work my a$$ off for it. So don't totally discount Carib schools.

Thank you to the above poster. I forgot to mention that we do face more challenges - stigmatism is one of them.

:D Well..see you around.
We've lots to prove, but don't let that bring you down (to the OP).
Every challenge that we will face and have faced will only make us into better physicians in the future.

:sleep:

It is a pretty good option.
We just have a lot to prove - go through more challenges.
But, I like Dominica and Ross so far.

:D

Actually, as someone who has worked with many Ross grads (in the form of residents and attendings at one of the teaching hospitals in LA), I have to disagree. Ross students work their butts off, and certainly are capable of doing very well on their boards, and in their clinical rotations. As with any med school, you get out of it what you put into it. I think that truly does apply to all schools. I know brilliant people that have gone to Ross, and a ***** who went to Harvard... and I know that the opposite can hold true, too. Absolutely, going to Ross is an uphill battle, but the grads that I've seen from there seem to be that much stronger and more dedicated for the experience.

That being said, I'm set to start at Ross in May; but I now have the possibility (I'll know in a few weeks) of going to LSUNO. Either way, I know that I'll get a good education, and reach the light at the end of the tunnel, one way or another... because I'm willing to work my a$$ off for it. So don't totally discount Carib schools.

Disagreeing with dilated = agreeing with caribbean folks making better docs? Very intriguing.

thanks a lot

sorry...can you define bad day for me? 18 and 3.8 just dont match up. even if you went to the easiest CC in the world lol.

seriously take the mcat again and meanwhile volunteer in a mental asylum to let the adcoms know that psych is indeed what you love to do :laugh:

I knew a guy in undergrad who got 14P 13B 4V. English was not his first language but I was really surprised with those scores. He ended up retaking.