You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 George Washington
Started by chilly_md
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
shewhobagstea
Full Member
I’m the exact same boat!!And thanks!! I’m so ecstatic. There’s like a 99% chance I’m going w GW lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yepFor those on the alternate list, do we just send them stuff saying we accept through the applicant portal thing? And then add name, address, etc. that they asked for
Thomas R
Full Member
Thanks!
leafybean2
New Member
Someone told me GW doesn't send out too many Rs, mostly WL - is it worth sending a letter of intent in that case? Was placed as an alternate in december and have already sent an update + letter of interest.
Thomas R
Full Member
in the alternate, they said you are free to send as many as you want, so long as they are high quality. i didnt have anything to update them on since my last one which was some time ago so didnt want to send oneSomeone told me GW doesn't send out too many Rs, mostly WL - is it worth sending a letter of intent in that case? Was placed as an alternate in december and have already sent an update + letter of interest.
milkcarton
Full Member
Another jump scare
redrobbin333
Full Member
Enough with the emails lol
cantwaittodeletethis
Full Member
Any AL movement?
Thomas R
Full Member
Do you go to one of the schools with which they have an ED program (like university of mary washington for example)? Speak to your school's health professions office. They likely have data on exactly what you're looking for.Anyone familiar with the ED process at GW? Do they have a high acceptance rate?
I apologize if this was mentioned earlier. Did any of you (especially those who interviewed) hear about the regional campus at Sinai?
smhs.gwu.edu
Regional Medical Campus at LifeBridge Health
We are pleased to announce our NEW Regional Medical Campus located at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, part of the LifeBridge Health System. Our first regional campus began in April 2023, where students will complete the clinical phase of the MD Program. Applicants can now choose either the main or...
BeagleLover987
Full Member
you could choose this campus (or mark it as preferred) on your secondary appI apologize if this was mentioned earlier. Did any of you (especially those who interviewed) hear about the regional campus at Sinai?
![]()
Regional Medical Campus at LifeBridge Health
We are pleased to announce our NEW Regional Medical Campus located at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, part of the LifeBridge Health System. Our first regional campus began in April 2023, where students will complete the clinical phase of the MD Program. Applicants can now choose either the main or...smhs.gwu.edu
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
orangeoreo
New Member
Idk if this was asked already or not but is there a GroupMe for admitted students? Or is it just the Facebook group thing?
koolaid_kat
New Member
GOT THE A. CRAZY EXCITED!!!!
Can't believe I got off of the WL
Can't believe I got off of the WL
NYCandalsoChicago
Full Member
omg congrats!!!! how did u find outGOT THE A. CRAZY EXCITED!!!!
Can't believe I got off of the WL
koolaid_kat
New Member
Thank you! Through emailomg congrats!!!! how did u find out
AHHHH congrats!! main campus or RMC?GOT THE A. CRAZY EXCITED!!!!
Can't believe I got off of the WL
ACKjp
Full Member
Oh dang I thought they called WL As, congrats!Thank you! Through email
Thomas R
Full Member
That is at least how they used to do it. Maybe they changed it this yearOh dang I thought they called WL As, congrats!
+1, are the webinars accessible anywhere? Like recorded versions maybe?I had work and wasn’t able to make it to the alternate webinar today, could anyone give a synopsis? Or send me a DM!
koolaid_kat
New Member
RMC 😊AHHHH congrats!! main campus or RMC?
milkcarton
Full Member
He said that he would provide an outline to students who did not make the webinar. Some key points were: movement mainly occurs in May but yes it has started early this year. They slowly remove people from the list if they believe their chances of coming off are low. Update your secondary portal and send LOR to their email+1, are the webinars accessible anywhere? Like recorded versions maybe?
koolaid_kat
New Member
I think it's just the facebook group, as far as I am awareIdk if this was asked already or not but is there a GroupMe for admitted students? Or is it just the Facebook group thing?
NYCandalsoChicago
Full Member
heartattack there
milkcarton
Full Member
Anyone think switching from regional to main campus would hurt my chances (alternate)
milkcarton
Full Member
You can on an updateThey said on the alternate webinar that it’s not possible to switch unless you have a super compelling reason (and that would happen after acceptance), I also would like to do the same lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone (perhaps current students) offer me insights into choosing between GW and UVA. I am interested in ortho or other surgical subspecialty which would obviously be competitive. I really want to live in Washington D.C. (though im not interested in UVA's INOVA program) and passionate about health policy / advocacy. I am assuming research would be way better at UVA so that would go along way in helping my residency applications. Cost would be cheaper for UVA although I am expecting a decent financial package from GW as well.
ACKjp
Full Member
I’m just a fellow applicant but also very interested in ortho. I know you should take match lists with a grain of salt, but GW seemed to punch above their weight (with respect to “rankings”) with ortho matches this year. They also had very strong neurosurg, plastics, vascular, and ENT, as well. UVA also had a fantastic list, but I was surprised to see they both had similarities despite the difference in rank.Can anyone (perhaps current students) offer me insights into choosing between GW and UVA. I am interested in ortho or other surgical subspecialty which would obviously be competitive. I really want to live in Washington D.C. (though im not interested in UVA's INOVA program) and passionate about health policy / advocacy. I am assuming research would be way better at UVA so that would go along way in helping my residency applications. Cost would be cheaper for UVA although I am expecting a decent financial package from GW as well.
If you compare their home programs, UVA is ranked much higher in ortho than GW, which is an important consideration. But both have strong home programs that pump out research so as a med student it shouldn’t be too different.
With respect to location, I love both DC and Charlottesville for different reasons. The outdoor access at Charlottesville is awesome and is why it’s my favorite of the two (fishing, hunting, biking, trail running, etc), but DC is one of the best cities to live in while you’re younger imo. It also offers unparalleled access to health policy makers.
Not sure any of this helps but based on their matches, home programs, etc I would choose whichever one you’d be happiest, which sounds like GW based on your interests! I don’t think you would be at a disadvantage by going to GW over UVA, at some point the difference in matches rests on the actual applicant and not their school. Full disclaimer I’m on the WL for GW and was rejected from UVA.
Thanks so much for writing this up! I would love to hear where you got the rankings for their ortho departments - how do you know UVA has a more reputable ortho program? Wishing all the best for you and hoping you get off the WL here!I’m just a fellow applicant but also very interested in ortho. I know you should take match lists with a grain of salt, but GW seemed to punch above their weight (with respect to “rankings”) with ortho matches this year. They also had very strong neurosurg, plastics, vascular, and ENT, as well. UVA also had a fantastic list, but I was surprised to see they both had similarities despite the difference in rank.
If you compare their home programs, UVA is ranked much higher in ortho than GW, which is an important consideration. But both have strong home programs that pump out research so as a med student it shouldn’t be too different.
With respect to location, I love both DC and Charlottesville for different reasons. The outdoor access at Charlottesville is awesome and is why it’s my favorite of the two (fishing, hunting, biking, trail running, etc), but DC is one of the best cities to live in while you’re younger imo. It also offers unparalleled access to health policy makers.
Not sure any of this helps but based on their matches, home programs, etc I would choose whichever one you’d be happiest, which sounds like GW based on your interests! I don’t think you would be at a disadvantage by going to GW over UVA, at some point the difference in matches rests on the actual applicant and not their school. Full disclaimer I’m on the WL for GW and was rejected from UVA.
Also would love it if anyone else has additional insights on this or if anyone else is deciding between these two schools 🙂Can anyone (perhaps current students) offer me insights into choosing between GW and UVA. I am interested in ortho or other surgical subspecialty which would obviously be competitive. I really want to live in Washington D.C. (though im not interested in UVA's INOVA program) and passionate about health policy / advocacy. I am assuming research would be way better at UVA so that would go along way in helping my residency applications. Cost would be cheaper for UVA although I am expecting a decent financial package from GW as well.
spaghettimaster69
Full Member
UVA so I can have your GW spot 🙂Also would love it if anyone else has additional insights on this or if anyone else is deciding between these two schools 🙂
ACKjp
Full Member
Too late I already called it lil broUVA so I can have your GW spot 🙂
spaghettimaster69
Full Member
Too late I already called it lil bro
redrobbin333
Full Member
Hey y’all,
When do we expect they begin the AL movement?
Signed, Twiddling my thumbs and viciously refreshing my gmail.
When do we expect they begin the AL movement?
Signed, Twiddling my thumbs and viciously refreshing my gmail.
ACKjp
Full Member
I’d expect later April/early May after PTE datesHey y’all,
When do we expect they begin the AL movement?
Signed, Twiddling my thumbs and viciously refreshing my gmail.
ACKjp
Full Member
Per the webinar - it’s somewhat possible but extremely unlikely and requires a good reasonif they accept me to the regional campus off the alternate list, can i switch to the main campus down the line?
Thomas R
Full Member
Damn hope i can get into main campus then. i tried researching the regional campus this weekend to see if i would like it and dont know if i like it too much tbhPer the webinar - it’s somewhat possible but extremely unlikely and requires a good reason
D
deleted1169361
withdrew from alternate list. best of luck yall!
orangeoreo
New Member
Do we know when schools are going to start sending out financial aid packages and stuff?
Thomas R
Full Member
its delayed this year because fafsa decided to renovate during our application cycleDo we know when schools are going to start sending out financial aid packages and stuff?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
orangeoreo
New Member
Oh don't we all just love that 🙁 but thank you!its delayed this year because fafsa decided to renovate during our application cycle
Congrats! What campus?A yesterday off waitlist. Interviewed 2/6
NYCandalsoChicago
Full Member
did u get a call?A yesterday off waitlist. Interviewed 2/6
Main campus!Congrats! What campus?