2023-2024 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Post II alternate

Honestly, thought the reason i didnt get the scholarly concentration webinar email yesterday was because i got rejected LOL! Glad I thought that because now im not mad at an alternate.

For those on the alternate list, do we just send them stuff saying we accept through the applicant portal thing? And then add name, address, etc. that they asked for

Someone told me GW doesn't send out too many Rs, mostly WL - is it worth sending a letter of intent in that case? Was placed as an alternate in december and have already sent an update + letter of interest.

Someone told me GW doesn't send out too many Rs, mostly WL - is it worth sending a letter of intent in that case? Was placed as an alternate in december and have already sent an update + letter of interest.
in the alternate, they said you are free to send as many as you want, so long as they are high quality. i didnt have anything to update them on since my last one which was some time ago so didnt want to send one

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone's application still on hold for re-review? No II yet, should I assume R at this point?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone familiar with the ED process at GW? Do they have a high acceptance rate?

Anyone familiar with the ED process at GW? Do they have a high acceptance rate?
Do you go to one of the schools with which they have an ED program (like university of mary washington for example)? Speak to your school's health professions office. They likely have data on exactly what you're looking for.

I apologize if this was mentioned earlier. Did any of you (especially those who interviewed) hear about the regional campus at Sinai?

Reactions: 1 users
I apologize if this was mentioned earlier. Did any of you (especially those who interviewed) hear about the regional campus at Sinai?
you could choose this campus (or mark it as preferred) on your secondary app

Idk if this was asked already or not but is there a GroupMe for admitted students? Or is it just the Facebook group thing?

I had work and wasn’t able to make it to the alternate webinar today, could anyone give a synopsis? Or send me a DM!

+1, are the webinars accessible anywhere? Like recorded versions maybe?
He said that he would provide an outline to students who did not make the webinar. Some key points were: movement mainly occurs in May but yes it has started early this year. They slowly remove people from the list if they believe their chances of coming off are low. Update your secondary portal and send LOR to their email

Anyone think switching from regional to main campus would hurt my chances (alternate)

Anyone think switching from regional to main campus would hurt my chances (alternate)
They said on the alternate webinar that it’s not possible to switch unless you have a super compelling reason (and that would happen after acceptance), I also would like to do the same lol

They said on the alternate webinar that it’s not possible to switch unless you have a super compelling reason (and that would happen after acceptance), I also would like to do the same lol
You can on an update

• Hmm
Can anyone (perhaps current students) offer me insights into choosing between GW and UVA. I am interested in ortho or other surgical subspecialty which would obviously be competitive. I really want to live in Washington D.C. (though im not interested in UVA's INOVA program) and passionate about health policy / advocacy. I am assuming research would be way better at UVA so that would go along way in helping my residency applications. Cost would be cheaper for UVA although I am expecting a decent financial package from GW as well.

You can on an update
Do you have a source for this? Because I asked the guy on the webinar that exact question and he told us that we can’t change our original preference

Can anyone (perhaps current students) offer me insights into choosing between GW and UVA. I am interested in ortho or other surgical subspecialty which would obviously be competitive. I really want to live in Washington D.C. (though im not interested in UVA's INOVA program) and passionate about health policy / advocacy. I am assuming research would be way better at UVA so that would go along way in helping my residency applications. Cost would be cheaper for UVA although I am expecting a decent financial package from GW as well.
I’m just a fellow applicant but also very interested in ortho. I know you should take match lists with a grain of salt, but GW seemed to punch above their weight (with respect to “rankings”) with ortho matches this year. They also had very strong neurosurg, plastics, vascular, and ENT, as well. UVA also had a fantastic list, but I was surprised to see they both had similarities despite the difference in rank.

If you compare their home programs, UVA is ranked much higher in ortho than GW, which is an important consideration. But both have strong home programs that pump out research so as a med student it shouldn’t be too different.

With respect to location, I love both DC and Charlottesville for different reasons. The outdoor access at Charlottesville is awesome and is why it’s my favorite of the two (fishing, hunting, biking, trail running, etc), but DC is one of the best cities to live in while you’re younger imo. It also offers unparalleled access to health policy makers.

Not sure any of this helps but based on their matches, home programs, etc I would choose whichever one you’d be happiest, which sounds like GW based on your interests! I don’t think you would be at a disadvantage by going to GW over UVA, at some point the difference in matches rests on the actual applicant and not their school. Full disclaimer I’m on the WL for GW and was rejected from UVA.

I’m just a fellow applicant but also very interested in ortho. I know you should take match lists with a grain of salt, but GW seemed to punch above their weight (with respect to “rankings”) with ortho matches this year. They also had very strong neurosurg, plastics, vascular, and ENT, as well. UVA also had a fantastic list, but I was surprised to see they both had similarities despite the difference in rank.

If you compare their home programs, UVA is ranked much higher in ortho than GW, which is an important consideration. But both have strong home programs that pump out research so as a med student it shouldn’t be too different.

With respect to location, I love both DC and Charlottesville for different reasons. The outdoor access at Charlottesville is awesome and is why it’s my favorite of the two (fishing, hunting, biking, trail running, etc), but DC is one of the best cities to live in while you’re younger imo. It also offers unparalleled access to health policy makers.

Not sure any of this helps but based on their matches, home programs, etc I would choose whichever one you’d be happiest, which sounds like GW based on your interests! I don’t think you would be at a disadvantage by going to GW over UVA, at some point the difference in matches rests on the actual applicant and not their school. Full disclaimer I’m on the WL for GW and was rejected from UVA.
Thanks so much for writing this up! I would love to hear where you got the rankings for their ortho departments - how do you know UVA has a more reputable ortho program? Wishing all the best for you and hoping you get off the WL here!

Also would love it if anyone else has additional insights on this or if anyone else is deciding between these two schools :)

Hey y’all,
When do we expect they begin the AL movement?
Signed, Twiddling my thumbs and viciously refreshing my gmail.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey y’all,
When do we expect they begin the AL movement?
Signed, Twiddling my thumbs and viciously refreshing my gmail.
I’d expect later April/early May after PTE dates

if they accept me to the regional campus off the alternate list, can i switch to the main campus down the line?

if they accept me to the regional campus off the alternate list, can i switch to the main campus down the line?
Per the webinar - it’s somewhat possible but extremely unlikely and requires a good reason

Per the webinar - it’s somewhat possible but extremely unlikely and requires a good reason
Damn hope i can get into main campus then. i tried researching the regional campus this weekend to see if i would like it and dont know if i like it too much tbh

withdrew from alternate list. best of luck yall!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Do we know when schools are going to start sending out financial aid packages and stuff?