You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Step II Step 2 CS January 2020 Score Release
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
What @shtumpa said is very good, try to argue that it is an unfair policy that punishes you twice (borderline on double jeopardy in legal term or unusual and cruel punishment) if they were to refuse to certify you for graduation. The first punishment is that you are in danger of being unranked by programs for having no CS ready for them and if they refuse to certify you, they punish you again for making sure not only you will not match but you will also not able to access the soap. This is really unfair.
The other argument is that the NRMP actually cautions the school to be very careful to withdraw students from the match if there are reasons to believe the students can graduate on-time. It is actually said so in the NRMP manual to medical schools.
Also, this can be a good argument: Research from the all the programs that you have interviewed website whether they will require a CS pass by ROL or not. If they don't need the CS, print them out and bring them with you to the appeal to say that you have reasonable chances for match success. The more schools that don't require the CS, the better. It will be so heartless if your school actively works to throw you out of the match.
Note: Do not call programs to inquire! You don't want to remind them you have a blank on CS period.
Lastly, you should also make this argument too: while it is true that the NRMP requires the school to certify whether senior students will graduate on-time, the NRMP's definition of on-time is before July 1st. From the USMLE website, there are theoretically 2 more reporting periods before July 1st. So, for your school to forced withdraw you is very unseemly.
View attachment 294225
Also, what is your school doing? It is insane for an American school! Forced withdraw a student for having no CS by Feb 28th?!? My friend, a 4th-year, just did his CS January, his CS result will only come out in March! The school did not even bat an eyelash over it. He, however, is cussing himself for his procrastination. If he failed, he will be in a pickle to try to have the result by July 1st.
This is boss af! Thank you!
Hoping someone shows some sympathy
I just put negative except as above
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How were your ICE xxx's. I keep seeing everyone saying they listed out their pertinent negatives under "things they did correctly", so I'm scared since I only put ROS negative unless stated above. Thank you for your help!
I just put negative except as above
D
deleted731525
If I didn't list out my pertinent negatives and just wrote ROS negative unless stated above, will this lead to a fail in ice? Did anyone do this and pass?
I took it in April so the memory has faded, but I remember being freaked out over not even putting an ROS section at all for most cases. As for pertinent negatives I think I listed the important ones for the diagnosis in the hpi, and tried to in the support for ddx section but I think I forgot a lot of the time. I passed. Regardless, that is unlikely to cause you to fail ICE.
Anyone take the exam between 12/23 - 12/27 and get their scores this week? Or at least have their Print Permit disappear?
I listed ROS negative except as above and had no stars in the borderline area (they started directly to the right and went almost across to high performance, so I had variable performance on my notes I guess).How were your ICE xxx's. I keep seeing everyone saying they listed out their pertinent negatives under "things they did correctly", so I'm scared since I only put ROS negative unless stated above. Thank you for your help!
I tried to list important positives and negatives in the HPI or at the end of the HPI
I forgot to ask a bunch of pertinent negatives and put ROS in my HPI a lot and I passed.If I didn't list out my pertinent negatives and just wrote ROS negative unless stated above, will this lead to a fail in ice? Did anyone do this and pass?
Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile
Thank you, everyone! I'm concerned because I don't remember listing a single pertinent negative, just ROS negative except as above. I dont't even think you need to have an official ROS section listed in the HPI, if you have the pertinent +/- in the note based on the way the one on the usmle site is written, but not even listing out some pertinent - in the HPI or ROS section is what has me worried.
Mine were fairly far to the right. Not off the chart, but none in the borderline. I also forgot ROS on probably 4 or more cases.How were your ICE xxx's. I keep seeing everyone saying they listed out their pertinent negatives under "things they did correctly", so I'm scared since I only put ROS negative unless stated above. Thank you for your help!
I also don't think I put ROS as a specific field every time. I don't remember at all actually if I did put it or not, but usually I just highlighted all the positives and negatives in the HPI. Is that good enough you guys think??
Probably fine.I also don't think I put ROS as a specific field every time. I don't remember at all actually if I did put it or not, but usually I just highlighted all the positives and negatives in the HPI. Is that good enough you guys think??
In those cases did you include them in the HPI?Mine were fairly far to the right. Not off the chart, but none in the borderline. I also forgot ROS on probably 4 or more cases.
Yes, I wrote them in the HPIIn those cases did you include them in the HPI?
Oh ok! I don't think ROS has to be stated as long as the information is in the HPI. I was more so wondering about people who only wrote positives in the HPI, didn't list negatives, and then just wrote ROS negative unless otherwise statedYes, I wrote them in the HPI
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Shtumpa. Did your Print Permit disappear? I remember you said you took the exam on 12/30?
Hey Shtumpa. Did your Print Permit disappear? I remember you said you took the exam on 12/30?
My permit is still there and I took it 11/18.
Oh ok! I don't think ROS has to be stated as long as the information is in the HPI. I was more so wondering about people who only wrote positives in the HPI, didn't list negatives, and then just wrote ROS negative unless otherwise stated
I'm also curious of this. I didn't end up doing this. I just wrote a few negatives and left it at that.
Thanks! Just curious if we have any indication of score releases next week.My permit is still there and I took it 11/18.
Thanks! Just curious if we have any indication of score releases next week.
It seems like the permit disappearing is a good indication.
Most of the people i spoke to had then disappear monday.
Thanks! That’s what I had gathered tooIt seems like the permit disappearing is a good indication.
Most of the people i spoke to had then disappear monday.
Anyone waiting on their scores have their Print Permit disappear?
My permit disappeared on Saturday 1/25 and I got my score on Wednesday.
Thanks! If you don’t mind my asking, when did you take the exam?My permit disappeared on Saturday 1/25 and I got my score on Wednesday.
Oh ok! I don't think ROS has to be stated as long as the information is in the HPI. I was more so wondering about people who only wrote positives in the HPI, didn't list negatives, and then just wrote ROS negative unless otherwise stated
You keep asking about this. No one knows how they grade. Truly no one knows. If you followed their note template you should be fine. And no you don't need a separate ROS section.
Yes for completeness sake I would guess that SOME pertinent negatives are warranted in the HPI. For example I always wrote out no fever, chills, night sweats if that was negative in the case. If the case was sore throat I would have probably documented in the HPI- no fever, cough, rhinorrhea, ear pain, headache. No nausea and vomiting, etc. Basically anything you would ask someone if they were acutely ill to rule out symptoms and pathology.
That being said- I'm not an expert and have no idea how they grade.
Thank you for reaching out and sharing your personal experience. Yesterday was awful but I'm feeling better and more motivated to put this exam behind me forever. I'm gonna study intensely for the next few weeks and take a live course just so I can be sure I've identified all weaknesses.
I spoke with my dean yesterday about the CS policy. They gave me the option of appealing the policy so I can stay in the match, but that in itself is a process with slim chances of success. I'll go through the appeals process but the policy itself makes no sense to me since NRMP allows AMGs to match without CS
What is the reasoning they give you for why they would withdraw you from the match. It seems crazy for them to do so if you can still graduate on time taking CS late as long as you get scores back before residency starts July 1. Have never heard of this policy with AMGs
Took it in Mid-December.Thanks! If you don’t mind my asking, when did you take the exam?
Thanks! I took it between 12/23 - 12/27 and still have my Print Permit option.Took it in Mid-December.
Took it 11/18. Stil have my permit.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Permits can even disappear tomorrow! I hope y'all get your scores this Wednesday
Is this from personal experience?Permits can even disappear tomorrow! I hope y'all get your scores this Wednesday
Is this from personal experience?
Yup
Thanks!
Print Permit disappeared... Took exam between 12/23 - 12/27..
Don't worry. I took it towards the end of December. To be honest, I'd rather have my scores come out next week.. or even later.Ugh dude mine is still there. This wait is awful. Took at very end of December
UGHHHH I took it 11/18 and still have my permit...
My school has this rule as well. I am also an AMG.What is the reasoning they give you for why they would withdraw you from the match. It seems crazy for them to do so if you can still graduate on time taking CS late as long as you get scores back before residency starts July 1. Have never heard of this policy with AMGs
Sorry.. But I think it really doesn't have any bearing on whether you passed or not. I actually wish I weren't getting my score back this week..UGHHHH I took it 11/18 and still have my permit...
Sorry.. But I think it really doesn't have any bearing on whether you passed or not. I actually wish I weren't getting my score back this week..
Why???
Because if I failed, I don't want to start preparing for it... I need another week of mental preparation to start preparing for the exam..Why???
Because if I failed, I don't want to start preparing for it... I need another week of mental preparation to start preparing for the exam..
Are you an M4?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry man.. But I think it really doesn't have any bearing on whether you passed or not. I actually wish I weren't getting my score back this week..
Yup. MS4. AMG. You too?Are you an M4?
Yup. MS4. AMG. You too?
Same boat
Same here! I'm starting to get emails about it from prgrms too, am afraid if it comes out at the end that even if I pass folks will be like tough luck, sorry we've already submitted our rank list and arent going to change itSame boat
Same here! I'm starting to get emails about it from prgrms too, am afraid if it comes out at the end that even if I pass folks will be like tough luck, sorry we've already submitted our rank list and arent going to change it
I highly doubt programs are going to do that!!! Remember that they invited you for interviews for a reason; they must really like what they see on paper. The fact that they really want your CS result means that they want to rank you well!
So, just be polite and honest about it: tell them thank you for checking up on you and that you really enjoyed your interviews with them. Unfortunately, you have not received your score yet and promised to update the PC immediately once you receive it.
Just making sure.. Does the FCVS trick work for AMG's? (I know it's tomorrow night.. but still)
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 581
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 847