Step 2 CS January 2020 Score Release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RHL ONE

CLASS OF 2020!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else waiting for score release on January 29th 2020? 7.5 weeks is a long time especially when you made dumb mistakes on the exam and you begin doubting if you truly passed or not. This wait is a killer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
What @shtumpa said is very good, try to argue that it is an unfair policy that punishes you twice (borderline on double jeopardy in legal term or unusual and cruel punishment) if they were to refuse to certify you for graduation. The first punishment is that you are in danger of being unranked by programs for having no CS ready for them and if they refuse to certify you, they punish you again for making sure not only you will not match but you will also not able to access the soap. This is really unfair.

The other argument is that the NRMP actually cautions the school to be very careful to withdraw students from the match if there are reasons to believe the students can graduate on-time. It is actually said so in the NRMP manual to medical schools.

Also, this can be a good argument: Research from the all the programs that you have interviewed website whether they will require a CS pass by ROL or not. If they don't need the CS, print them out and bring them with you to the appeal to say that you have reasonable chances for match success. The more schools that don't require the CS, the better. It will be so heartless if your school actively works to throw you out of the match.

Note: Do not call programs to inquire! You don't want to remind them you have a blank on CS period.

Lastly, you should also make this argument too: while it is true that the NRMP requires the school to certify whether senior students will graduate on-time, the NRMP's definition of on-time is before July 1st. From the USMLE website, there are theoretically 2 more reporting periods before July 1st. So, for your school to forced withdraw you is very unseemly.

View attachment 294225

Also, what is your school doing? It is insane for an American school! Forced withdraw a student for having no CS by Feb 28th?!? My friend, a 4th-year, just did his CS January, his CS result will only come out in March! The school did not even bat an eyelash over it. He, however, is cussing himself for his procrastination. If he failed, he will be in a pickle to try to have the result by July 1st.

This is boss af! Thank you!

Hoping someone shows some sympathy

Reactions: 3 users
If I didn't list out my pertinent negatives and just wrote ROS negative unless stated above, will this lead to a fail in ice? Did anyone do this and pass?

Members don't see this ad :)
How were your ICE xxx's. I keep seeing everyone saying they listed out their pertinent negatives under "things they did correctly", so I'm scared since I only put ROS negative unless stated above. Thank you for your help!

I just put negative except as above

If I didn't list out my pertinent negatives and just wrote ROS negative unless stated above, will this lead to a fail in ice? Did anyone do this and pass?

I took it in April so the memory has faded, but I remember being freaked out over not even putting an ROS section at all for most cases. As for pertinent negatives I think I listed the important ones for the diagnosis in the hpi, and tried to in the support for ddx section but I think I forgot a lot of the time. I passed. Regardless, that is unlikely to cause you to fail ICE.

How were your ICE xxx's. I keep seeing everyone saying they listed out their pertinent negatives under "things they did correctly", so I'm scared since I only put ROS negative unless stated above. Thank you for your help!
I listed ROS negative except as above and had no stars in the borderline area (they started directly to the right and went almost across to high performance, so I had variable performance on my notes I guess).

I tried to list important positives and negatives in the HPI or at the end of the HPI

I forgot to ask a bunch of pertinent negatives and put ROS in my HPI a lot and I passed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Thank you, everyone! I'm concerned because I don't remember listing a single pertinent negative, just ROS negative except as above. I dont't even think you need to have an official ROS section listed in the HPI, if you have the pertinent +/- in the note based on the way the one on the usmle site is written, but not even listing out some pertinent - in the HPI or ROS section is what has me worried.

Reactions: 1 user
Mine were fairly far to the right. Not off the chart, but none in the borderline. I also forgot ROS on probably 4 or more cases.

I also don't think I put ROS as a specific field every time. I don't remember at all actually if I did put it or not, but usually I just highlighted all the positives and negatives in the HPI. Is that good enough you guys think??

I also don't think I put ROS as a specific field every time. I don't remember at all actually if I did put it or not, but usually I just highlighted all the positives and negatives in the HPI. Is that good enough you guys think??
Probably fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I wrote them in the HPI
Oh ok! I don't think ROS has to be stated as long as the information is in the HPI. I was more so wondering about people who only wrote positives in the HPI, didn't list negatives, and then just wrote ROS negative unless otherwise stated

Oh ok! I don't think ROS has to be stated as long as the information is in the HPI. I was more so wondering about people who only wrote positives in the HPI, didn't list negatives, and then just wrote ROS negative unless otherwise stated

I'm also curious of this. I didn't end up doing this. I just wrote a few negatives and left it at that.

You keep asking about this. No one knows how they grade. Truly no one knows. If you followed their note template you should be fine. And no you don't need a separate ROS section.

Yes for completeness sake I would guess that SOME pertinent negatives are warranted in the HPI. For example I always wrote out no fever, chills, night sweats if that was negative in the case. If the case was sore throat I would have probably documented in the HPI- no fever, cough, rhinorrhea, ear pain, headache. No nausea and vomiting, etc. Basically anything you would ask someone if they were acutely ill to rule out symptoms and pathology.

That being said- I'm not an expert and have no idea how they grade.

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your personal experience. Yesterday was awful but I'm feeling better and more motivated to put this exam behind me forever. I'm gonna study intensely for the next few weeks and take a live course just so I can be sure I've identified all weaknesses.

I spoke with my dean yesterday about the CS policy. They gave me the option of appealing the policy so I can stay in the match, but that in itself is a process with slim chances of success. I'll go through the appeals process but the policy itself makes no sense to me since NRMP allows AMGs to match without CS

What is the reasoning they give you for why they would withdraw you from the match. It seems crazy for them to do so if you can still graduate on time taking CS late as long as you get scores back before residency starts July 1. Have never heard of this policy with AMGs

Ugh dude mine is still there. This wait is awful. Took at very end of December

What is the reasoning they give you for why they would withdraw you from the match. It seems crazy for them to do so if you can still graduate on time taking CS late as long as you get scores back before residency starts July 1. Have never heard of this policy with AMGs
My school has this rule as well. I am also an AMG.

Same boat
Same here! I'm starting to get emails about it from prgrms too, am afraid if it comes out at the end that even if I pass folks will be like tough luck, sorry we've already submitted our rank list and arent going to change it

Same here! I'm starting to get emails about it from prgrms too, am afraid if it comes out at the end that even if I pass folks will be like tough luck, sorry we've already submitted our rank list and arent going to change it

I highly doubt programs are going to do that!!! Remember that they invited you for interviews for a reason; they must really like what they see on paper. The fact that they really want your CS result means that they want to rank you well!

So, just be polite and honest about it: tell them thank you for checking up on you and that you really enjoyed your interviews with them. Unfortunately, you have not received your score yet and promised to update the PC immediately once you receive it.

Reactions: 2 users