Step 2 CS January 2020 Score Release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RHL ONE

CLASS OF 2020!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else waiting for score release on January 29th 2020? 7.5 weeks is a long time especially when you made dumb mistakes on the exam and you begin doubting if you truly passed or not. This wait is a killer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to those who have passed! If you passed, can you discuss your mistakes and where your XXXs ended up landing? Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pass!!! Omg best news ever of fourth year. Took on December 9. Thank God!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just found out I passed too! This exam is definitely very forgiving. I made many mistakes and passed quite comfortably! Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 1 users
According to previous threads, the difference in which Wednesday you receive your result is based on the physician note graders.

Yes, this is all based on what someone in a previous thread said after they spoke with the NBME office. Not stating that this is fact, but it seems logical.

So the exam is no longer graded by a person.. starting october they started grading by computer but if ur score is low then they send it to a grader who checks ur notes manually.. not saying that in ur case this is what happened... the reporting is completely random...so hang in there...

So the exam is no longer graded by a person.. starting october they started grading by computer but if ur score is low then they send it to a grader who checks ur notes manually.. not saying that in ur case this is what happened... the reporting is completely random...so hang in there...
Oh... hopefully that's not what happened..

Oh... hopefully that's not what happened..

I think it varies by location. I took mine in ATL. Also, since october, I think it's 50/50 graded by providers and computers. I wouldn't worry at this point. Anecdotally, my friend had taken hers earlier than some classmates and received her scores much later than them. She passed very comfortably without any borderline sections. So, I'd just hang in there! The waiting period is the hardest, for sure.

Some of the things I was obsessing about doing wrong for the person above who asked:
-did not counsel at least 3 patients at the end due to time
-forgot to copy & paste vitals into my first 3 notes
-accidentally pulled the gown too low when doing cardiac exam on a bosomy woman
-stumbled over my words a ton with first patient due to nerves
-hardly had any PE findings to support or disprove diagnoses

These things just felt gradually magnified over the 2.5 months of waiting for my score to come back. Definitely felt worse after finishing than with CK or Step 1.

I think it varies by location. I took mine in ATL. Also, since october, I think it's 50/50 graded by providers and computers. I wouldn't worry at this point. Anecdotally, my friend had taken hers earlier than some classmates and received her scores much later than them. She passed very comfortably without any borderline sections. So, I'd just hang in there! The waiting period is the hardest, for sure.
Thanks so much!

Permit disappeared, took exam dec 18th in LA and... passed! FCVS trick did not work for me at 1 am and prior to release time which was exactly 11am EST no email prior to release. Hope all are getting great news today!
Many many mistakes: I did not do closure with 2 patients and my communication rating was at the highest end of performance. One patient got upset when I mentioned possibility of a certain diagnosis that was very unlikely and I fumbled out the door. I also addressed a patient on accident as Ms instead of Mr lol I just said im sorry it is really busy in clinic today ; )
As far as the note goes, I worked backwards so my HPI was crap. I didn’t put much and would leave out social history or other things that weren’t relevant. I also abbreviated the heck out of everything. And my spelling was awful because I was furiously typing which is normal speed since I am a slow at that.

For someone who’re expecting their scores to be released in the following week,

It seems that the FCVS trick is still working for IMGs (only). The pass/fail status changed exactly around 1 am EST.

Passed!!!! Permit disappeared yesterday when I checked. Got the email about score release around 10:30am.
FCVS thing does not work btw(USMD), even this morning around 7am.

Took it 11/19.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

First off, big congratulations to everyone who passed! Putting this horrible exam behind you forever must feel amazing.

So I’m a fourth year AMG and I got my results today. I failed ICE. This was my first attempt. I’ve already been on 15 interviews for this upcoming match cycle and I’m freaking the f*** out. I don’t know if I should order a score recheck, speak with my dean, hit up the programs I applied to, etc.

My school has a policy that you must have a passing step 1, CS, and CK score by February 26th or they remove from the match. At this point it’s too late to retake and get my score in time.

Has anyone ever heard of a score changing from fail to pass after a CS score recheck? i just don’t know where to even begin. Suicide is painless

1) I am so sorry this happened. Obviously it doesn't reflect on you, it is an open secret that this exam is nothing more than a money making scam by the nbme. How can anybody have any faith in an exam that nobody knows the method of scoring?

2) Definitely contact your dean's office asap on how to proceed

3) Suicide is definitely not painless. Not for you and not for the people who care about you. If that last comment was anything other than sarcasm/gallow's humor you really need to reach out to anybody that you trust.

1) I am so sorry this happened. Obviously it doesn't reflect on you, it is an open secret that this exam is nothing more than a money making scam by the nbme. How can anybody have any faith in an exam that nobody knows the method of scoring?

3) Suicide is definitely not painless. Not for you and not for the people who care about you. If that last comment was anything other than sarcasm/gallow's humor you really need to reach out to anybody that you trust.
Sorry to hear that, I failed today also. We need to move forward

I have a question guys. Do program directors have access to see how many attempts do you have in step 2 cs?

Yes because you send your USMLE transcript which shows all attempts with all passes/fails/scores. Moreover, if they do not yet have your USMLE transcript with a Step 2CS score they will ask for it as most require a Step 2CS to rank you. I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It’s just so disheartening that after everything I’ve overcome and years of proving myself, this is one POS exam is what takes me out.

I’m still in shock by all this

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It’s just so disheartening that after everything I’ve overcome and years of proving myself, this is one POS exam is what takes me out.

I’m still in shock by all this

Have you reached out to your deans? What have they said about this? I would still order a score recheck, at this point, it couldn't hurt

Yes because you send your USMLE transcript which shows all attempts with all passes/fails/scores. Moreover, if they do not yet have your USMLE transcript with a Step 2CS score they will ask for it as most require a Step 2CS to rank you. I hope that helps.
Recent posts suggest small minority will ask you beforehand and people match without CS...impossible to know how many actually ranked without CS. Also specialty dependent, radiology I’ve heard almost no programs check.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree. Not all specialties will ask for a CS score. I would check with your dean about how to best move forward.

Recent posts suggest small minority will ask you beforehand and people match without CS...impossible to know how many actually ranked without CS. Also specialty dependent, radiology I’ve heard almost no programs check.
This is true. If you failed, the best thing to do is stay quiet and reschedule the step 2cs ASAP and study appropriately (your school should help you). Don't contact the program, not even for a LOI. This will just draw attention to your App. Some programs may ask for an update but certainly not all. If they do ask ,you have to honest which will most likely result in them unranking you. For those in this situation you still can match.