Program-Specific Info / Q's Stony Brook OT 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodlifeOT

Reaction score
Thread to discuss updates on applications for Stony Brook's OT program beginning summer 2019.

I had an interview with Stony Brook mid-december. Had anyone heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard back yet. The wait is killing me!

also still waiting! I emailed Sarah a while ago and she said by the end of January but still such a painful wait

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting as well! I interviewed on December 14.

Last edited:
me too, I spoke to Sarah and she said by the end of this week or the beginning of next!

Got the phone call from Sarah earlier that I've been accepted into the South Hampton campus!

Reactions: 3 users
I’m still waiting. Gonna email Sarah about it.

I've tried calling but it always goes to voicemail

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I interviewed on the same date and am also still waiting. Have you tried emailing?
yeah she just said i would get either a phone call or email from the deans office but didn't say anything about when

Sarah told me that there was a delay due to staff being away, so hopefully we’ll all get a response soon

Hey guys, I've been emailing Sarah the past couple of weeks since it was taking forever to receive the official acceptance letter. She emailed me back saying that the same thing, that there was a delay due to staff being away. I finally received it today, so I hope you guys hear back within the next couple of days!

Got the phone call from Sarah earlier that I've been accepted into the South Hampton campus!
Hi congrats! I have an interview this friday (2/8/19) & I am extremely nervous!! Qhat kinds of questions did they ask you for your interview?!

Hi congrats! I have an interview this friday (2/8/19) & I am extremely nervous!! Qhat kinds of questions did they ask you for your interview?!
Thank you! Some questions that were asked were definitely a little challenging and required more thinking than other questions. I remember they asked "Define professionalism and how it applies to OT", "What qualities do you need to be an OT", "Pick a health career and describe how it's similar and different to OT". There was one question that was so long and had about four parts to it and I completely blanked out, but they don't judge you for being nervous, they expect it! What really helped me was preparing beforehand. I went through past forums and wrote down potential interview questions on index cards and just rehearsed, just to get a sense of what to talk about. Also, talk about your experiences whether it's your job or volunteer hours, they want to hear that. If you show passion and you know what you're talking about, you'll be high on their list of people to accept. Good luck!!

I got an interview invitation last week and have a interview this Friday [2/8/19] I am freaking out!! What kinds of questions am I expecting?! Please help, thank you

Thank you! Some questions that were asked were definitely a little challenging and required more thinking than other questions. I remember they asked "Define professionalism and how it applies to OT", "What qualities do you need to be an OT", "Pick a health career and describe how it's similar and different to OT". There was one question that was so long and had about four parts to it and I completely blanked out, but they don't judge you for being nervous, they expect it! What really helped me was preparing beforehand. I went through past forums and wrote down potential interview questions on index cards and just rehearsed, just to get a sense of what to talk about. Also, talk about your experiences whether it's your job or volunteer hours, they want to hear that. If you show passion and you know what you're talking about, you'll be high on their list of people to accept. Good luck!!
okay thank you! also dors everyone get an interview for this program?? or are they denying applicants before they decide who gets an interview??

okay thank you! also dors everyone get an interview for this program?? or are they denying applicants before they decide who gets an interview??
I can't imagine they invite every single person that applies for an interview. That would be a lot of people if they did, but then again I'm not completely sure.

Hey! Congratulations on getting in! I just wanted to know around what time you received the phone call? I believe they gave out some acceptances that day, unfortunately I’m still waiting to hear back ! :/

Hey! Congratulations on getting in! I just wanted to know around what time you received the phone call? I believe they gave out some acceptances that day, unfortunately I’m still waiting to hear back ! :/
Thank you! Sarah called me around 5:30 PM on January 15th but I missed the call. She left me a voicemail and I tried to call back but she had left the office already. She called me back the next day around 11:30 offering admission. I'm hoping you hear back soon!

Thank you! Sarah called me around 5:30 PM on January 15th but I missed the call. She left me a voicemail and I tried to call back but she had left the office already. She called me back the next day around 11:30 offering admission. I'm hoping you hear back soon!

Hey thank you so much for answering. I’m hoping we hear back soon, it’s been a killer wait, really hard cause I also have to put money down for another school soon, but stony brook is my number one choice of course ! Well I’m so happy for you though!!

Has anybody emailed Sarah lately to see when they would approximately let us know now?

Has anybody emailed Sarah lately to see when they would approximately let us know now?
I emailed Sarah a few weeks ago and she told me hopefully within the next few weeks. I also received a call from the dept saying that if I don’t get an email this month to call next month. I’ve been waiting almost two months already :(.

I emailed Sarah a few weeks ago and she told me hopefully within the next few weeks. I also received a call from the dept saying that if I don’t get an email this month to call next month. I’ve been waiting almost two months already :(.

Did you call the department to let them know you wanted to find out or? I’ve been waiting exactly 2 months now also! So stressful.

Did you call the department to let them know you wanted to find out or? I’ve been waiting exactly 2 months now also! So stressful.
Both Sarah and the dept responded to my email. I just want to know already haha.

Would you know if everyone who gets an interview means you got in?? bc I felt I could have done slightly better on my interview

No definitely not because I also interviewed last year and got denied in the beginning of January! :/ this wait is just so hard because it’s getting my hopes up!

No definitely not because I also interviewed last year and got denied in the beginning of January! :/ this wait is just so hard because it’s getting my hopes up!
Oh! This is my 1st time interviewing Stony Brook, also my 1st year applying to OT schools! I got into 1, and denied by 1.. waiting for Stony and another school... where else did u appply last year??

Oh! This is my 1st time interviewing Stony Brook, also my 1st year applying to OT schools! I got into 1, and denied by 1.. waiting for Stony and another school... where else did u appply last year??

Yes I got accepted into 1 already as well thankfully but I will lose out on my deposit if I don’t hear from Stony Brook before March ! I applied to NYiT, Hofstra, and Touro and of course SBU. What about you?

Yes I got accepted into 1 already as well thankfully but I will lose out on my deposit if I don’t hear from Stony Brook before March ! I applied to NYiT, Hofstra, and Touro and of course SBU. What about you?
Stony Brook, Hofstra, Clarkson University, Touro College! I got denied from Hofstra, accepted to Clarkson University... waiting from SBU and Touro... Clarkson seems nice from what I read but its private so...