Strange Dog Behaviour

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCFGrad

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Pre-Pharmacy student, but I wondered if anyone might have experienced this with their own dog. Every now and then, my white German Shepherd has what I can only describe as "licking fits". He licks the carpet, the walls, and will voraciously try to eat any edible or non-edible item he can find lying around. Obviously, this isn't his normal behaviour. He usually ends after an hour of this with vomiting frothy yellow fluid. And then he is fine. The vet I have taken him to can't find anything wrong. Anyone heard of this condition? Thank you so much for any help!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like your doggie dog has some form of fixation with licking things.

You can try giving your dog some ice. That may numb up the tongue, which might end his love of licking. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The vomiting of the frothy yellow stuff has me concerned. The yellow stuff he is throwing up is bile and when he throws that stuff up that means he has an empty stomach. It is possible for dogs to have obsessive compulsive disorder, but I would take your dog to another vet for a second opinion or even consult a behaviorist.

Mammalmama-
That's interesting you say how the throwing up of bile is because his stomach is empty. Although I feed him Nutro Ultra which is accessible to him at all times. He seems to like it, but once in a while he doesn't eat for a whole day and then he will binge eat on the second day. I've tried many other dog food brands and the same thing but he seems to like Nutri Ultra best of any others. I guess he is kind of spoiled. So, there are not any other major reasons that you know of which makes a dog throw up yellow bile except when he hasn't eaten. Thanks alot for your help!!!