Quantcast
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
The individual school subform does not work for this function as people go there for specific schools rather than talk about decisions regarding multiple schools. Can we get a subform for this purpose or be allowed to debate the merits in the main pre-allo form?

Reactions: 13 users

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You mean like "Should I go to UCLA vs. Penn" type threads?

Reactions: 1 users

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You mean like "Should I go to UCLA vs. Penn" type threads?
Yes. Those threads get buried in the activity on the 150+ individual school threads, plus most people use the search function on that subform to find the particular school they are interested in.

Reactions: 6 users

Lawpy

39% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
The individual school subform does not work for this function as people go there for specific schools rather than talk about decisions regarding multiple schools. Can we get a subform for this purpose or be allowed to debate the merits in the main pre-allo form?

getting rid of that SGU subforum and replacing it with a School X vs School Y subforum would be a very useful measure

Reactions: 8 users

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes. Those threads get buried in the activity on the 150+ individual school threads, plus most people use the search function on that subform to find the particular school they are interested in.

Prior to us starting to actually enforce that rule, we would have massive influxes of these types of threads in the last weeks of April that would clog up the regular pre-allo forum for quite some time. Thus, we started moving over threads to the SSD forums so that the regular forums could still function normally. We also created a sticky that redirects people (both people asking the questions and people looking to give advice) to the SSD forum so they know where to look.

Additionally, if one is posted accidentally in pre-allo proper and it gets moved, you'll notice that a redirect exists for a non-insignificant period of time in the forum it is leaving to direct people to that thread in the destination forum; however, the redirect doesn't get bumped to the top of the list when a new post is made, so active threads will be bumped up above it and there is no clogging.

For most of the rest of the year, the number of threads of this sort are manageable, but to keep everything consistent and in one place for easy searching, we move them to SSD anyway.

However, if there is substantial community support for this change, I can bring it up with the people who actually control this stuff (not me) for discussion.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
getting rid of that SGU subforum and replacing it with a School X vs School Y subforum would be a very useful measure
That subform pays the bills. But School X Vs School Y would be nice or just allow the discussion in this form. Just by briefly looking at the SSD and the School X vs School Y threads they have minimal replies and or minimal views.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Lawpy

39% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
That subform pays the bills. But School X Vs School Y would be nice or just allow the discussion in this form. Just by briefly looking at the SSD and the School X vs School Y threads they have minimal replies and or minimal views.

i think there are numerous different ways to pay the bills, but even if the SGU subforum is necessary (and i doubt it is), that forum can be transferred to the Caribbean main forum.

School X vs School Y subforum containing current and past threads would be helpful. also useful is having some sort of a decision making spreadsheet comparing two or more schools based on user-defined priority ratings for each attribute (e.g grades, research, clinical quality etc.)

looks like @voteknope and c/o 2021 friends have the right idea! https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-class-of-2021-thread.1230313/page-23#post-18637949

Reactions: 1 user

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
yes, yes I am working on the data. One point does not represent the median.

Very true. I looked back a few pages and I did find one with no replies, but most had several replies and 500+ views (n~5 or so from a cursory glance). Additionally, OPs with more fleshed out deliberation processes tend to get more responses than those with only brief thoughts.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didnt realize what a PITA it is to scrape SDN.

mwsapphire

Office of the medical examiner.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would a thread that talks about where people got in and what their stats/EC"s/MCAT was, etc, be useful? You know how in WAMC, somebody would list their stats and try to come up with a school list, but they never mention where they got in with those stats/EC's and that always frustrates me. Is it just me? Like
I had a 3.8/519/ blah blah EC"s and I got into Yale, Columbia, BU, Sinai,....etc..
Yay?Nay?

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would a thread that talks about where people got in and what their stats/EC"s/MCAT was, etc, be useful? You know how in WAMC, somebody would list their stats and try to come up with a school list, but they never mention where they got in with those stats/EC's and that always frustrates me. Is it just me? Like
I had a 3.8/519/ blah blah EC"s and I got into Yale, Columbia, BU, Sinai,....etc..
Yay?Nay?
Its called MDApps

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
upload_2017-2-19_23-41-29.png

upload_2017-2-19_23-42-8.png

upload_2017-2-19_23-42-56.png

upload_2017-2-19_23-43-23.png

mwsapphire

Office of the medical examiner.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you....make that yourself....

aalamruad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Subforum*

But great ideas, I'm definitely on board!

protego

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah that would be a great idea because those threads always feel out of place in the SSD and that's also not a place where I just browse. I always go straight to the specific school I want to see.

lpp06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nice data!

First impression: mean responses increases when you include threads not started in SSD could indicate that threads have more activity when not in SSD. But further investigation is needed to understand if those responses occur before or after the move.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nice data!

First impression: mean responses increases when you include threads not started in SSD could indicate that threads have more activity when not in SSD. But further investigation is needed to understand if those responses occur before or after the move.
Just eyeballing it, a large number of the last responses on those threads is the admin saying they are moving the thread. I feel pretty confident saying that pre allo main has more traffic.maybe these threads dont deserve the traffic of pre-allo main,however, I do believe that these types of threads don't deserve the wasteland they currently inhabit in SSD though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

efle

not an elf
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prior to us starting to actually enforce that rule, we would have massive influxes of these types of threads in the last weeks of April that would clog up the regular pre-allo forum for quite some time.
But why does that justify moving them? Final decision is a big part of the premed process, it makes sense to have a spike in the topic at that time. We get inundated every year in certain times with certain types of questions (e.g. tons and tons and tons of stuff about filling out AMCAS in June) but that's fine, it's what SDN is here for. Discussions of pros/cons between types of schools are a far cry from school-specific discussions. There is usually good interesting stuff in the former while the latter is pages and pages of primary/secondary/II/decision, sent/received dates, stats, and other stuff totally uninteresting to anyone but a current applicant to that exact place.

Frogger27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I actually love school X vs School Y threads.. I like seeing the pros/cons of each school and what certain people consider important in making a school choice

Reactions: 15 users

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a request process to institute this change or will we receive a yay or nay from someone?

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we think that a new subforum just for comparisons would be any more trafficked than the SSD forum? I'm skeptical of that. If the goal is to give these threads more visibility, perhaps simply allowing them in PreAllo proper is the better option?

I think @efle makes a good point that SDN is expected to be somewhat cyclical (the application cycle is, of course, cyclical). Changes have been made to make this less of a problem in terms of clogging the forum, and most of them have been good changes (endless AA / URM policy politicking being moved to SPF, etc.).

Thanks for the data. Some questions about it: "Responses excluding moved" does this mean: responses to the thread excluding the moderator's "Moved" message? Views are a pretty coarse way to represent thread activity. I suspect many views are not actual humans but bots, page refreshes, SDN's spam detector, etc. But I'm not entirely sure how our forum counts those views. A better -- albeit still coarse -- way to measure "traffic" might be a ratio of responses to views.

Frogger27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
@Lucca I think that a subforum with comparisons would get more traffic than being put into the SSD forum... There is too much movement in there and they get often overlooked. I think it would be pretty similar to the WAMC subforum.

Reactions: 4 users

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would prefer to leave it in pre-allo proper but a subforum would also be better solution then being lumped into the SSD forum.

efle

not an elf
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd be a lot more likely to visit XvsY subforum every one in a while than to dig through SSD. Leaving it in pre-allo would be the most visible by a mile but a subforum would be better than nothing

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could we get a decision on this from the mods. I am itching to submit a school x vs y thread and would love a broad perspective and some input.

protego

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could we get a decision on this from the mods. I am itching to submit a school x vs y thread and would love a broad perspective and some input.
SAME. I need outside input haha.

Frogger27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can't we just switch the name of the subforum by @WedgeDawg that says "Please post School X vs Y threads in the SSD forum" to "School X vs Y thread"???

Edit: Just saw it was a sticky, not a subforum

@Lucca @gyngyn

Lawpy

39% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
I would prefer to leave it in pre-allo proper but a subforum would also be better solution then being lumped into the SSD forum.
I'd be a lot more likely to visit XvsY subforum every one in a while than to dig through SSD. Leaving it in pre-allo would be the most visible by a mile but a subforum would be better than nothing

School X vs School Y is not unique to preallo. This applies for preosteo as well. Having a subforum specifically for School X vs School Y threads will account for both, and will essentially be similar to the WAMC forums that merge the traffic from both preallo and preosteo.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
School X vs School Y is not unique to preallo. This applies for preosteo as well. Having a subforum specifically for School X vs School Y threads will account for both, and will essentially be similar to the WAMC forums that merge the traffic from both preallo and preosteo.
But I love traffic!!

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, you don't need to keep tagging mods in this thread. We know it exists and we're working on it. Whatever happens will take a bit of time though. We're busy people outside the forums too.

Thanks

Frogger27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many schools do you have it narrowed down to?

I am pretty set on where I will be going, but would still love the School X vs Y threads for hypotheticals/helping others make decisions

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your patience guys, we're working on a solution.

Lee

Sleestack
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
FWIW, the sponsored forums are contractually locked-in through the end of the year. We're changing our sponsorship options for 2018 and this option will no longer be available.

Astra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the sponsored forums are contractually locked-in through the end of the year. We're changing our sponsorship options for 2018 and this option will no longer be available.

Genuinely did not expect this to happen. Mad props

Reactions: 2 users

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gracias Mod Team!
Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif

Reactions: 3 users

Frogger27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are your thoughts on moving old School X vs School Y threads from SSD < 2016 forums into the new forum? useful reference? unnecessary?

Possibly way too much work?