This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M1i

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question on whether it would be wise or not to mention my struggle with substance abuse on my application/ letter of intent. I believe it may be beneficial, however others have advised me against it (None of which are pre-med students or advisors). There are many factors involved in this:

1) I am a non traditional student, who has an atrocious transcript for my first two years after high school at a state college (consisting of many F’s and W’s). Followed by another 4 year gap in my life where I have nothing productive to show for, no academics, no job...nothing. All of which stems directly from my substance abuse.

2) My wanting to become a physician is derived from this life experience. It grew dramatically from the idea that I initially wanted to be a clinical psychologist for other people with substance abuse.

3) I would also (eloquently) state how it has shaped the person I am today, as it has. Providing me with many positive characteristics including resilience, adaptability, patience, and a greater understanding of illness. Even if it is just mental illness.

I argue that by including this on my statement it would somewhat justly explain my wasted time and poor grades. Allow me to explain one of my true reasons for wanting to practice medicine and definitely make me stand out. I just worry I may stand out in a bad way, and an admissions board may have an understandable bias. Please know that I would leave out all the dark and gory details of my substance abuse and would only use it in a positive light to illustrate growth, insight and explanation. And backing it up, since my return to school I have recieved an A in all my classes, work experience, leadership experience, volunteered (clinically and non), as well as shadowed. So I anticipate to have a strong application
SORRY FOR THE LONG POST BUT OPINIONS PLEASE!

Members don't see this ad.

Substance abuse and Mental Health are the third rails of the application process. Highlight your positive attributes.

Reactions: 3 users
Do not do it. The fact that you will have access to legal drugs if you chose to abuse doesn’t bode confidence. Im not saying that as a judgement of your character and I truly believe in reinvention/maturity but the drug abuse can bring so many downsides to the table with very little upsides.

You could easily explain all of the failures and gaps in education on immaturity without bringing the negative connotations of drug abuser.

Find another compelling story to grab attention.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If I was an adcom, I’d reject you outright. Not necessarily for substance abuse, but for showing terrible judgment by mentioning it in a medical school application.

I’m being glib, but my point stands.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT do do this. This will only hurt you, I promise.

I disagree, somewhat. With a compelling story and turn around, you can demonstrate marked improvement. In any case, you're unlikely to really hide it. Someone will ask you why you did so badly at first, and then turned things around. What do you plan to answer? Also, did you avoid all legal issues while using? If not, it will show up on a background check somewhere along the line. I don't know how adcoms will look at this. And this thread probably belongs in pre-MD rather than here. But, leaving it out is likely going to cause you all sorts of problems by raising questions. Best to get out in front of it.

But, I have no role in the med school admission process. So this could all be wrong. But I don't think that trying to hide it will work out anyway.

Last, your life story is probably the best thing you have going for you. Without it, you just have a really low GPA.

Reactions: 7 users
I don't think you are a good enough writer that you could pull it off. And that isn't any knock on you, I don't think there are more than a handful of people who could write an essay asking for admission into a high stress, often isolating, situation with more access to controlled substances than pretty much anyone else on earth, and talk about how they are recovering addicts and their substance abuse, and actually pull it off in a way that it comes off in a positive light.

This is a very very competitive application. IDK your stats, but I would expect the committee is going to see 100's of applicants with similar or better stats than yours, why do you want to start yours off by making yourself a high risk applicant given A) addiction is a chronic condition, B) The risk the way you write about it doesn't frame it as a positive, C) that access I mentioned before.

The personal statement isn't supposed to be some contest for who has had the worst life. In such a competitive application, you can't afford to give them a reason to throw out your application.

I was in a very similar situation. I dropped out of high school, got my GED, and attempted community college at one time at a still young age which resulted in several Fs and Ws, went back to college at 24 after many life adjustments and made straight As but still applied with an overall GPA about 3.1 despite 120+ hours of 4.0.

I definitely highlighted my growing as a person on my personal statement and in interviews, and how these different experiences shaped me. It has been a strong suit in both med school and residency interviews. But there are many, many, many particulars about everything I did at ages ranging from 10-27 (27 being the age I applied to med school) that did not need to be mentioned on an application or personal statement. I would consider any illegal substances to be part of the things that shouldn't really be mentioned. Highlight your strengths and what you've learned, not the fact that you might be a future liability.

I don't think you are a good enough writer that you could pull it off. And that isn't any knock on you, I don't think there are more than a handful of people who could write an essay asking for admission into a high stress, often isolating, situation with more access to controlled substances than pretty much anyone else on earth, and talk about how they are recovering addicts and their substance abuse, and actually pull it off in a way that it comes off in a positive light.

This is a very very competitive application. IDK your stats, but I would expect the committee is going to see 100's of applicants with similar or better stats than yours, why do you want to start yours off by making yourself a high risk applicant given A) addiction is a chronic condition, B) The risk the way you write about it doesn't frame it as a positive, C) that access I mentioned before.

The personal statement isn't supposed to be some contest for who has had the worst life. In such a competitive application, you can't afford to give them a reason to throw out your application.

This x100.

Is there a person skilled and charismatic enough to pull this off? Probably. Is OP that person? Idk about you, but I sure as hell wouldn’t wager my shot at medical school on the chance that I was THAT good.

Reactions: 2 users
This x100.

Is there a person skilled and charismatic enough to pull this off? Probably. Is OP that person? Idk about you, but I sure as hell wouldn’t wager my shot at medical school on the chance that I was THAT good.
Factotum_2005-224x300.jpg

Maybe aronofsky.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else notice that OP wants to be a clinical psychologist, which doesn't even require a medical degree?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoops you're right, totally missed the "initially" there. But did you just assume my gender? :p
md/phd. 65% male, plus everyone on the internet is a dude or lying.

Reactions: 6 users
md/phd. 65% male, plus everyone on the internet is a dude or lying.

And all the students in med school are either men, or men who like to dress in women's clothing.

And all the students in med school are either men, or men who like to dress in women's clothing.
no. There are more women in medical school then men. This is the internet we are talking about.

Reactions: 1 users
Just want to point something out.

3-4 years ago, going on SDN and posting that you were applying to medical school with a history of substance abuse would get you a lot of heat. People would call you terrible things, tell you you’re unfit, and how they’d be embarrassed to call you a colleague.

Meanwhile, in the last year alone I’ve seen at least 5 threads by people discussing various aspects of becoming a doctor with a history of substance abuse, with virtually all replies supportive, and even caring.

My theory is that this speaks to the magnitude of the opiate epidemic - with record numbers of people, especially teenagers, now having a past involving substance abuse, it was inevitable that lots of them are going to find their way into medicine. Hell, I know one girl who just matched neuro. I’m fine with that - even happy.

As someone whos best friend in childhood struggled with painkillers at the height of OxyContin epidemic, who went on to a top 5 law school and was recently elected to public office, this is a very personal subject to me.

That being said, there’s a LONG way to go in terms of understanding of addiction. OP, do not shoot yourself in the foot.

Reactions: 2 users
I disagree, somewhat. With a compelling story and turn around, you can demonstrate marked improvement. In any case, you're unlikely to really hide it. Someone will ask you why you did so badly at first, and then turned things around. What do you plan to answer? Also, did you avoid all legal issues while using? If not, it will show up on a background check somewhere along the line. I don't know how adcoms will look at this. And this thread probably belongs in pre-MD rather than here. But, leaving it out is likely going to cause you all sorts of problems by raising questions. Best to get out in front of it.

But, I have no role in the med school admission process. So this could all be wrong. But I don't think that trying to hide it will work out anyway.

Last, your life story is probably the best thing you have going for you. Without it, you just have a really low GPA.

If they avoided legal trouble/IA related to the drug use then it could be explained away as immaturity and partying. There are a number of people that spend their early 20s doing that then when it’s time to grow up they go and do what they want. I don’t see an adcom not buying it. I wouldn’t say lie but if confronted they could spin this as partying heavily for a couple years, if nothing more than it’s just a stretch of the truth.

no. There are more women in medical school then men. This is the internet we are talking about.

yeah, all the women left the internet because men were using it to be gross :p

Anyways, I should get back to using the internet to do my dermatology homework. It's pretty difficult because my boobs keep hitting the keyboard and accidentally typing out responses on SDN.

yeah, all the women left the internet because men were using it to be gross :p

Anyways, I should get back to using the internet to do my dermatology homework. It's pretty difficult because my boobs keep hitting the keyboard and accidentally typing out responses on SDN.

Eww man boobs...

You have a fantastic story about how you've turned your life around. My question would be.. Have you ever been in trouble with the law because of your substance abuse?

Sent from my SM-N920P using SDN mobile

Did anyone else notice that OP wants to be a clinical psychologist, which doesn't even require a medical degree?

Initially wanted to be a clinical psychologist. Now I would very much like to become a physician. Again my interest in medicine was derived from my interest in clinical psychology.

For starters appreciate the feedback! Honesty is a great thing, don’t really take anything personal. Especially that which is coming from an opinion forum. Second sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, only my second post, still a little new. I fortunately have no legal issues, or criminal record. Just a spotty background that would definitely require some sort of explanation. An explanation I feel should be honest. I’m not going to use this experience to create self pity. I’m not saying that this made my life more difficult. Ill use it as a demonstration of growth. I feel that despite its negative connotations its such a huge part of who I am. And it would feel wrong leaving it out. Would some of you say that if I had a ‘stong’ application and was able to word it well enough on a letter that it could POTENTIALLY be ok. I ask not to disregard your comments. Just curious

For starters appreciate the feedback! Honesty is a great thing, don’t really take anything personal. Especially that which is coming from an opinion forum. Second sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, only my second post, still a little new. I fortunately have no legal issues, or criminal record. Just a spotty background that would definitely require some sort of explanation. An explanation I feel should be honest. I’m not going to use this experience to create self pity. I’m not saying that this made my life more difficult. Ill use it as a demonstration of growth. I feel that despite its negative connotations its such a huge part of who I am. And it would feel wrong leaving it out. Would some of you say that if I had a ‘stong’ application and was able to word it well enough on a letter that it could POTENTIALLY be ok. I ask not to disregard your comments. Just curious
you by definition will not have a strong application considering your GPA is going to be lower than peers who did not get Fs.
I would still not talk about substance abuse.
If i was reading application and I came accross a relatively benign substance abuse Personal statement I would chuckle and then question your maturity and understanding of the application process and then probably toss it in the odd pile and not look at it again. There are a lot of euphamisms / other things you can state that would be just as truthful and dont have to outline you being addicted crystal meth or what ever your drug of choice was. It is a high risk low reward thing, its not like unbound honesty is what adcoms are looking for. But this question is better answered in the premed forum by the pre-med advisors.

I certainly can't say there is no situation where it wouldn't potentially be ok, but mentioning the particulars of substance abuse will likely only close doors and not open any. Keep in mind you are applying to committees of doctors for acceptance, having 2 or 3/10 thinking this is a red flag that should completely keep you out of the physician club will sink you, even though a few might be more open minded and want to give you a chance. Like I said above, you can talk about being immature, not being focused, losing jobs, flunking out of school, falling down to the bottom, and making many young stupid mistakes, without mentioning the handfuls of meth you used to binge out on.

Look, I appreciate that you really want to be true to yourself and do your own thing, and I've done that more or less throughout my journey to becoming a physician and its worked out for me. But for this particular situation, I feel like you have nothing to gain from discussing your specific affinity for substance abuse, and this could potentially blacklist yourself. Also, I would remember that once you've opened the can of worms you might not get a do-over. If you don't get accepted anywhere and reapply the following year with a different personal statement and improved app, places you've already applied to may remember you as "the dumb applicant that decided to let us know he has a drug problem" and trash your application again. And I'm guessing if your application is like mine was you won't have a ton of places that give you serious consideration in the first place. Burning those bridges might be a big mistake.

you by definition will not have a strong application considering your GPA is going to be lower than peers who did not get Fs.
I would still not talk about substance abuse.
If i was reading application and I came accross a relatively benign substance abuse Personal statement I would chuckle and then question your maturity and understanding of the application process and then probably toss it in the odd pile and not look at it again. There are a lot of euphamisms / other things you can state that would be just as truthful and dont have to outline you being addicted crystal meth or what ever your drug of choice was. It is a high risk low reward thing, its not like unbound honesty is what adcoms are looking for. But this question is better answered in the premed forum by the pre-med advisors.
Certainly, sorry! I’ll bring this discussion to the premed forum. But can I ask you just one question. Quickly on here for time sake. Do you know if medical schools will calculate my GPA using all attempts and all grades. Or honor grade forgiveness like my university did.

Certainly, sorry! I’ll bring this discussion to the premed forum. But can I ask you just one question. Quickly on here for time sake. Do you know if medical schools will calculate my GPA using all attempts and all grades. Or honor grade forgiveness like my university did.
all transcripts, all grades are calculated by AMCAS.

It sounds like you've made up your mind to shoot yourself in the foot for no good reason. Good luck.

Sincerely,

An adcom

It sounds like you've made up your mind to shoot yourself in the foot for no good reason. Good luck.

Sincerely,

An adcom
Not for no good reason, call it pride but its tough to forget or exclude a major aspect of who I am and why I’m even here in the first place. I think many people on this thread chose to look at the fact I want to incorporate my substance abuse into my applicaition. Where truly my goal was to incorporate how i SUCCESFULLY OVERCAME substance abuse and why that makes me different. Maybe that was my fault. And I am no fool, I know that you know far more about this process than I do. But I find it unfortuante that such an intellectual indiviual could make a blanket statement about my application without taking all aspects of it into consideration. I guess you prove prior comments right, if you would be the type of person that looks at my application. Thank you! That was the true insight I was looking for.
Would be happy to get a little more insight, if its not a bother..?
Thanks

Not for no good reason, call it pride but its tough to forget or exclude a major aspect of who I am and why I’m even here in the first place. I think many people on this thread chose to look at the fact I want to incorporate my substance abuse into my applicaition. Where truly my goal was to incorporate how i SUCCESFULLY OVERCAME substance abuse and why that makes me different. Maybe that was my fault. And I am no fool, I know that you know far more about this process than I do. But I find it unfortuante that such an intellectual indiviual could make a blanket statement about my application without taking all aspects of it into consideration. I guess you prove prior comments right, if you would be the type of person that looks at my application. Thank you! That was the true insight I was looking for.
Thanks
fing-adcoms.jpg

IMHO, one aspect of medical education is checking your pride at the door and trusting that other may in fact know more about something than you do.

Last edited:
Why don’t you talk about it from a third person point of view? That way you can speak about how it’s inspired your decision to become a physician without having to relay your own struggles with it.

Thanks
Dude, you should be very proud to overcome that. For me I've been essentially depression-free for 2+ years, and I too am proud of overcoming that obstacle.

Unfortunately adcoms statistically don't want to take a risk on applicants with past issues like yours, so I'd avoid talking about them. It sucks, but it doesn't mitigate the skills you might have gained from kicking that addiction that might help make you a better student or doctor.

@Goro and @gyngyn are both adcoms. They are insightful on admissions and are from 2 different parts of the country

@Goro and @gyngyn are both adcoms. They are insightful on admissions and are from 2 different parts of the country
Are you saying that I should message them? I’m sorry im not familiar with the etiquette of messaging someone with ‘status’.

Thanks

Like it or not, you have to play by the rules in this game. Really listen to those that have been through the process or have made a living evaluating those going through it. I know you’ve overcame so much, but you may want to reassess how you tell the story knowing full-well which areas to stray away from.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really bad idea... you’re competing against the best/brightest. I wouldn’t take a risk ona prior drug user. ESP w/ Nassar scandal showing how much damage a graduate can do for their training institution. Not a good political climate to take risks...

Hey there, I’m not an adcom and our stories are a bit different so take this with a grain of salt, but I received the same advice from most people about addressing my mental illness in my application - “don’t do it under any circumstances, you’ll be shooting yourself in the foot, you can’t afford to be seen as weak, you can’t be a doctor with PTSD because it’s too stressful of an environment, etc etc etc...”, - but I threw caution to the wind and was very open and honest about it (since it was a large part of what motivated me to pursue this, and what has made me the resilient and driven person I am), and I ended up with an MD acceptance this cycle! I know it’s different circumstances, but just know that it’s possible to take a “weakness” and show how it actually makes you more qualified than you would be without it. Best of luck to you!!

Are you saying that I should message them? I’m sorry im not familiar with the etiquette of messaging someone with ‘status’.
No. I tagged them. If they have something they feel needs to be added then they will post in the thread

Hey there, I’m not an adcom and our stories are a bit different so take this with a grain of salt, but I received the same advice from most people about addressing my mental illness in my application - “don’t do it under any circumstances, you’ll be shooting yourself in the foot, you can’t afford to be seen as weak, you can’t be a doctor with PTSD because it’s too stressful of an environment, etc etc etc...”, - but I threw caution to the wind and was very open and honest about it (since it was a large part of what motivated me to pursue this, and what has made me the resilient and driven person I am), and I ended up with an MD acceptance this cycle! I know it’s different circumstances, but just know that it’s possible to take a “weakness” and show how it actually makes you more qualified than you would be without it. Best of luck to you!!

PTSD and drug addiction are in two different categories. PTSD can be treated with therapy and pharma. Drug addiction is a disease you live with for the remainder of your life. It takes one slip up. It’s the fact that they have a history of substance abuse and will get a license to access it in the future.

PTSD, unless the violent type with multiple criminal charges stemming from it, falls in something else

IF OP can show a long period of academic excellence and engaged in positions of responsibility, then I think that there are Adcoms members who will be willing to take a chance on OP.

I think that the subject of drug addiction is better addressed in the secondaries, such as in the "greatest challenge" or "anything else you wanna tell us?" prompts.

Interested to hear what @gonnif, @HomeSkool @Lannister @gyngyn @mimelim and @LizzyM have to say.

Last edited:
I am in a similar situation - F’s for several semesters leading to an academic dismissal off probation for poor grades as a result of substance use. However, after being readmitted I petitioned for and received retroactive withdrawals for those semesters, leaving me with big gaps of W’s and notation about being dismissed but a cGPA of 3.6 and no legal history.

I took a few years off after long-term treatment and worked as a certified substance abuse counselor, accumulating several thousand hours in various settings, about 1000 of which were in a psych hospital. I’ve also been published in the area of behavioral emergencies.

It’s been about 10 years since that period and I currently have a 4.0 in the prerequisite courses with a semester to go (DIY post bac). Having received advice similar to that being given the OP from individuals affiliated with the admissions process (most telling me it’s application poison with a few others telling me to go for it), it seems to me that adcoms would invariably connect the dots with a long unexplained gap of ostensibly poor performance, followed by a miraculous reemergence as a drug and alcohol counselor. No one who has recommended I leave it out has been able to suggest how to explain that.

Would it really be better to let them draw their own conclusions as opposed to more actively framing the narrative?
I would probably be more open your discussing it vs OP. You show work as a certified substance abuse counselor vs OP who only showed desire to do so.
But I would personally make your personal statement about working as counselor->desire to become a physician after working with patients. And then in the secondaries you can discuss some aspects of your personal problems. But this is all just my opinion obviously you should probably take advice from the adcoms.

If they avoided legal trouble/IA related to the drug use then it could be explained away as immaturity and partying. There are a number of people that spend their early 20s doing that then when it’s time to grow up they go and do what they want. I don’t see an adcom not buying it. I wouldn’t say lie but if confronted they could spin this as partying heavily for a couple years, if nothing more than it’s just a stretch of the truth.
That is how I explained my gap and subpar grades pre gap. It worked. I was very vague and spent only one to two sentences discussing "partying" and "immaturity".

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

OP should be able to talk about personal growth in a way that doesn't need to dive into substance abuse. Leave it at "I was immature, unmotivated, etc... my first attempt at school." Then [insert event that made you want to turn your life around] happened and I started to take [steps] that allowed me to turn life around. And here is evidence of how my life is turned around.

You need to be able to separate yourself now from who you were then. Bringing up substance abuse and addiction doesn't let you do that. You can be someone who used to be immature and unmotivated, but is now clearly motivated and mature so well overlook that period. It doesn't work that way with substance abuse. You at best can be considered a recovered addict who is doing well, but that label doesn't drop off. And that's what makes it so easy to just throw your application in the reject pile. You're high risk: high risk to not graduate, high risk to get in trouble as a physician with access to drugs. And that is assuming you write about it in a way that actually comes off in a way that isn't super bad (which again, 99% probably cant). All because of the way you wanted to write your essay.

I've not seen it done successfully with any addiction other than alcohol and that was a Ivy student who was suspended, got straightened out and returned to school. Not having seen it done successfully doesn't mean it can't be done but it would be very rare.

I do think that there could be a concern about giving you a license to prescribe controlled substances. It is different if someone has a career as a physician and an attempt is by the medical licensure board to preserve an impaired doc's life and livelihood. There isn't the same imperative with someone who who is not yet in the profession.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
wouldn't it be possible for OP to discuss their substance abuse and how it has impacted them w/o necessarily saying it was substance abuse? couldn't they just refer to it as "personal health problems" or something in their essays? adcom members wouldn't try to drag out specifically what personal health problems refers to would they?

PTSD and drug addiction are in two different categories. PTSD can be treated with therapy and pharma. Drug addiction is a disease you live with for the remainder of your life. It takes one slip up. It’s the fact that they have a history of substance abuse and will get a license to access it in the future.

PTSD, unless the violent type with multiple criminal charges stemming from it, falls in something else

Very much agreed! The point of my post was less “they’re exactly the same” and more “don’t necessary always believe everything you’re told (about the application process and life in general), I didn’t and it worked out for me, especially if you feel very strongly about including a very integral part of your journey in your application, as something that has made you stronger”. Also, I would think that adcoms would notice that something important to the story was missing if he just didn’t address it at all and smell something fishy, possibly assuming something worse wasn’t being disclosed?

Also, respectfully, I must disagree with you - while PTSD can be treated as you said, it is very much like drug addiction, in that it is also a very real disease that has long lasting physiological impact on the nervous system and other parts of the body that, like drug addiction, can stay with you for the remainder of your life.

Very much agreed! The point of my post was less “they’re exactly the same” and more “don’t necessary always believe everything you’re told (about the application process and life in general), I didn’t and it worked out for me, especially if you feel very strongly about including a very integral part of your journey in your application, as something that has made you stronger”. Also, I would think that adcoms would notice that something important to the story was missing if he just didn’t address it at all and smell something fishy, possibly assuming something worse wasn’t being disclosed?

Also, respectfully, I must disagree with you - while PTSD can be treated as you said, it is very much like drug addiction, in that it is also a very real disease that has long lasting physiological impact on the nervous system and other parts of the body that, like drug addiction, can stay with you for the remainder of your life.

I can see how that came out the way I typed it. PTSD is a chronic disease. What I meant was when PTSD has an acute exacerbation it is inherently different than a drug abuse relapse... as a physician.