---->Successful Applicant Stats c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm pretty sure that a 630V is a higher percentile than a 740Q - so the verbal score is actually "better" than the quant...

I was still disappointed personally, because I am much more of a verbal oriented person than a math person. I'm the type that turns in a dairy production quiz with it all figured out that a dairy cow will eat 30% of her BW in DMI. Per day. But I've always had wicked vocab, so I was really hoping for a higher verbal and expecting a lower quantitative. Ah well, it worked for me so I'm not losing sleep over it =P

Members don't see this ad.

1st time applicant, 19 y/o, PA resident, Junior biology major (University of Pittsburgh)
Applied: Edinburgh and Glasgow
Interviewed: Glasgow
Accepted: Edinburgh and Glasgow!!!!!:D
Attending: EDINBURGH

GPA at time of application: 3.31
(Neither of schools I applied to required last 45 credit hours, or the GRE!)

Veterinary experience:
450 hours: Intern at the Division of Laboratory Animal Resources, mostly in Surgical Research. (I basically had the responsibilities of a tech, helping with pre and post operative care, maintaining anesthesia during surgery, etc.)
70 hours: VIDA volunteer trip to Costa Rica and Nicaragua June 2009 (pure awesomeness!!)

Animal Experience:
50 hours: Volunteer at local animal rescue
250 hours: Pet sitter

Honors/ Awards:
Deans List
NHS in high school

Community activity:
Pre-vet club president
Recreational softball
amateur ukulele player

LORs:
Attending vet at my internship, Animal physiology/writing professor (who I now TA for), Vet tech from my internship

***I am hoping that this will help someone who wants to apply to schools in Scotland and maybe someone who doesn't have a degree yet. :)

Last edited:
Aww man, now I really wish I had the money to apply to Scotland!

Congrats :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Moved to end of thread due to updates

Last edited:
First time applicant, 21 years old, Florida Resident

Applied: Tufts, Minnesota, Purdue, CSU, Cornell, Florida, Wisconsin, LSU, KSU, Washington, NCSU
Interview: Tufts, Minnesota, Purdue, Florida, LSU, KSU, Washington
Rejected: CSU, Cornell, NCSU
Awaiting: Purdue, Florida, Wisconsin
Accepted: KSU, LSU, Minnesota, Tufts (declining my offer for the first three, hope some of you waitlisters get a call soon!)

Cum GPA: 3.9
Last 45 GPA: 3.78
Required Course GPA: 3.97
GRE: 1310 (V: 530 Q: 780 AW: 4.5)

Veterinary Experience:
-350 hours researching population density, biodiversity, coral reef degradation in Turks and Caicos Islands
-200 hours working at a small animal private practice
-300 hours working at a small animal private practice

Animal Experience:
-170 hours working at a wildlife sanctuary in Namibia, Africa
-100 hours volunteering at a local zoo
-50 hours volunteering at a primate sanctuary

Honors:
Anderson Scholar
President's Honor Roll
National Society of Collegiate Scholars
Golden Key International Honor Society
Dean's List
(A bunch of stuff from high school)

Community Activities:
English as a Second Language (teacher)
Scuba Club
Equestrian Club
Animal Activists Club
(More community service from high school)

eLORs:
-2 from veterinarians at small animal private practice
-1 from Research Associate at my study abroad/research program

Good luck everyone! Don't stress out from other people's stats too much. I sure did last year and thought I had no chance (because I didn't have nearly as many hours of experience as most other people did), but I ended up getting accepted and I am even lucky enough to have choices! Each individual case is different so don't lose hope and keep trying!

Seconded. I'm pretty sure the verbal is more difficult than quant but quant is difficult cause many people haven't done that sort of math in awhile?

So, it's a good thing that my verbal score is amazing and my quant is average? Please say yes :D

I thought the minimum GPA req for Edinburgh and Glasgow was a 3.4! I totally would have applied to them otherwise :/

I thought the minimum GPA req for Edinburgh and Glasgow was a 3.4! I totally would have applied to them otherwise :/

I got into both schools (GEP at Edinburgh) with a GPA of 3.28
I don't think they care much-- they look at your application holistically

First time applicant, 22 years old, female, Arizona resident (WICHE applicant)
B.S. in Biology completed May 2010

Applied: Colorado State, Oregon State, Washington State, UC Davis, Royal Veterinary College, Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
Rejected: Colorado State, Washington State, UC Davis
Interview: Royal Veterinary College (declined)
Waitlisted: Oregon State
Accepted: Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
Attending: Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies

Cum GPA: 3.42
Last 45 hours: 3.60
Science GPA: 3.15 :oops:

GRE:
-Take 1-- 540V, 600Q, 4.5AW :mad:
-Take 2-- 470V, 710Q, 4.0AW :lame:

Veterinary Experience:
-921 hours SA
-450 hours research (that will EVENTUALLY result in a primary author publication if I can convince my lazy self to finish the writing)
-370 hours exotics
-35 hours equine
-56 hours on a VIDA trip

Animal Experience:
-64 hours at a bird rehabilitation center
-56 hours as a zoo volunteer
-55 hours as an assistant TA for a physiology lab course

Other Employment:
-1800 hours at a tuxedo rental shop
-120 hours in a seasonal catering position

Extracurricular/Community Activities:
-Peer mentor for incoming freshman during my junior and senior years
-Yearbook editor-in-chief in high school
-other high school stuff: Anti-Defamation League, National Honor Society, lacrosse team

Letters of Recommendation:
-PI of my research lab who I also took 2 courses from
-Exotics DVM who I currently work for
-TA of my physiology lab course who I also served as an assistant for

Awards and Honors:
-Latin honors (graduated cum laude)
-Dean's List 4 semesters
-University Scholarship recipient
-Journalism award (from high school)

Though I finished undergrad in 4 years, I went through a tough personal time during junior year and decided to withdraw from classes fall of 2008. I had a bit of a rocky return that next spring as well (including a D in a pre-req), but then I finally got my act together. My last semester was also my best semester despite a heavy science load, so I think that the uptrend helped my case. I did address the situation in my explanation statement.

Anyhow, I think it's clear to see that my grades were the low point in my application so to those of you worried about your grades-- don't give up hope!

Last edited:
First time applicant, 26 years old, female, Iowa resident
B.S. in Biology and Psychology completed May 2007

Applied:Colorado State, Cornell, UC Davis, Iowa State
Rejected: Colorado State, Cornell, UC Davis
Interview: Iowa State
Accepted: Iowa State
Attending: Iowa State

Cum GPA: 3.56
Last 45 hours: 3.61
Science GPA: 3.43

GRE:
-Take 1-- 490V, 640Q, 4.0AW
-Take 2-- 540V, 690Q, 3.5AW (took too late for Iowa deadline)

Veterinary Experience:
-1560 hours SA
-7320 hours research
-9 hours equine

Animal Experience:
-100 hours humane society
-640 hours in hoofstock at Omaha zoo
-200 hours volunteer for Cheetah Conservation Fund in Kenya
-70 hours volunteer for Wildlife Conservation Network expo in San Francisco
-600 hours working at a pet store/adoption center

Other Employment:
-100 hours at Beat the Bookstore

Honors/Awards:
-Major D award in highscool band
-National Honors Society in highschool
-University of Iowa Honors
-Dean's list 2 semesters
-Student Employee of the Year certificate of Distinction
-3 publications in Scientific journals, 1 first author, 2 second author

-PI of my research lab of almost 7 years, also took one course from
-DVM I worked for in highschool
-Lead Keeper of Hoofstock at Omaha zoo (didn't get in by Iowa State's deadline)
-PI of Psychology lab I did research in and took a couple courses from

I was really hoping to get in out of state, but I guess my grades and scores just weren't good enough. I honestly decided to go to Vet school about a year ago, so all this stuff I did was not for vet school intentions....not that it hasn't been something I've always wanted, I just didnt' want to pay for all that school, but in the end I decided it was worth it.
I feel like if I had planned it out better I would have had more vet and especially large animal vet experience.

Also, Colorado state told me I didn't have enough community or leadership activities, which is completely true, I have none. I pretty much just go to work and school.

But it all worked out and I am EXTREMELY happy!! :D

Last edited:
1st time applicant, 22 year old male, PA Resident.
BA Psychology, Reed College, 2010
(also biochemistry as a post-bacc at UPenn, gen chem and physics at Portland State)

Applied: Tufts
Interviews: Tufts
Accepted: Tufts

Grades:
Cumulative GPA: 3.5
Science: 3.0 I think? I dunno, it was bad, but luckily Tufts doesn't calculate out your science GPA separately
GRE: 620 V, 730 Q, 5.5 AW

Rigor: Extremely rigorous. I think this was a big factor in my acceptance. My school refuses to participate in US News national rankings, but to try to give an impression, my undergrad school ranks #2 on Princeton Review's category of "Students Study The Most" (right under MIT). My school includes a note with all transcripts that gives a better understanding of our grading system and lack of grade inflation, which says on it among other things, that only 9 students in the last 26 years have graduated from my school with a perfect 4.0 GPA. The average GPA for science majors is something like a 2.8 (in other words, science classes are especially ass-kicking). I write all of this not to brag, but because I think that going to one of the most challenging undergraduate programs significantly changed the way the admissions committee looked at my GPA...both my interviewers and the director of admissions mentioned to me that they recognized that my undergrad is a really hard school.

Honors and Awards:
My school doesn't give awards

Veterinary/Animal Experience:
- 100 hours shadowing small animal vet
- 100 hours as vet assistant at small animal clinic
- 600 hours as kennel technician
- 150 hours volunteering at spay & neuter clinics (including 2 HSVMA/RAVS trips)
- 15 hours shadowing large animal vet who treated mostly camelids
- 100 hours working on my boarding school's farm (mostly milking cows)

- Also, immediately after my Tufts interview I started an internship with the USDA/APHIS Veterinary Services regional office in Cheyenne, Wyoming, working with the Area Veterinarian-In-Charge for the state of Wyoming. I wasn't able to put this experience on my application, but I told everyone I could on my interview day about this internship. Getting in this year has only confirmed my impression that vet schools love folks who are interested in public health. If anyone is interested to hear more about my internship, let me know.

Research Experience:
- 120 hours working for my neuroscience professor using a rat model to look at ghrelin and endocannabinoids, included performing stereotaxic surgeries and microinjections.
- Senior thesis (full year) on the effect of chronic alcohol consumption on testosterone levels in male Cynomolgus monkeys, done in conjunction with the Oregon National Primate Research Center. Edited to add: I presented a poster of my research at a Neuroscience conference that was pretty much all graduate students and post-doc researchers. I also will hopefully be getting my name on a publication related to my thesis research.

- Played oboe in orchestra & woodwind quintet
- snowboarding/biking/rock climbing/hiking/xc skiing
- semester abroad in Amsterdam, Netherlands (studying gender & sexuality)
- bike co-op volunteer (we fixed peoples bikes for free)
- after school mentor for middle schoolers with LDs/ADHD
- Queer Alliance + other gay organization stuff

Other employment:
- UPenn School of Nursing, administrative research assistant for the Center for Health Outcomes and Policy Research
- Research assistant for psychopathology professor on study looking at adolescent decisions about college drinking
- Interlibrary Loan worker (woo!)

- Small animal vet I shadowed/worked for
- Neuroscience professor
- Thesis advisor at the Primate Research Center

In case anyone is curious as to why I only applied to Tufts...I applied this year with a "practice round" mentality, because I initially wasn't sure if I wanted to apply or take another year off. I visited Tufts, fell in love with the school, and decided that because I loved Tufts so much (especially compared to Penn, which is my IS school), and because their application deadline was a month later than everywhere else, I'd apply only to Tufts this year, and if I didn't get in, I'd apply to a bunch more places next year. But I got in, and I am so psyched! I can't wait to go to Tufts and get involved in public health and international vet med stuff.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
\

Rigor: Extremely rigorous. I think this was a big factor in my acceptance. My school refuses to participate in US News national rankings...

Honors and Awards:
My school doesn't give awards

your school sounds terrifying! :scared: :laugh:

CONGRATS to ckd, canis and evilshoe!! So happy for you guys!! And CONGRATS to all of the other acceptances here!!! Everyone has worked really hard to get to this point! Way to go!!

:claps: :highfive: :woot: :claps: :highfive: :woot: :claps: :highfive: :woot:

- Played oboe in orchestra & woodwind quintet

I played oboe in highschool :) must be some correlation between playing double-reed instruments and intellect...;)

Congrats!

Congrats to everyone! :woot: We are AWESOMEEE!:biglove::biglove: I love reading stats (now that I'm in) cause I know how amazing we all truly are (though, my stats might not hold a candle to some!)

C13 - I can't wait to go to Tufts in this fall with you!

Same goes for everyone else at Tufts of 2015! I just met C13 first:D Cheers to making new friends!!:hardy::soexcited: Is everyone as shocked as I am that I will (hopefully) soon be a "Doctor"??

Applied: Tufts
Interviews: Tufts
Accepted: Tufts
*also will be applying to Tufts dual degree DVM/MPH program

I loved Tufts so much (especially compared to Penn, which is my IS school), and because their application deadline was a month later than everywhere else, I'd apply only to Tufts this year, and if I didn't get in, I'd apply to a bunch more places next year. But I got in, and I am so psyched! I can't wait to go to Tufts and get involved in public health and international vet med stuff.

Congrats to everyone! :woot: We are AWESOMEEE!:biglove::biglove: I love reading stats (now that I'm in) cause I know how amazing we all truly are (though, my stats might not hold a candle to some!)

C13 - I can't wait to go to Tufts in this fall with you!

Same goes for everyone else at Tufts of 2015! I just met C13 first:D Cheers to making new friends!!:hardy:
:soexcited:Is everyone as shocked as I am that I will (hopefully) soon be a "Doctor"??

Every time I read a happy post like this, it makes me excited all over again! CONGRATS! :soexcited:

First time applicant, 23 year old female, CT resident

BS Biomolecular Science, minor in Chemistry , Central Connecticut State University, 2010

Applied: Iowa, Missouri, Colorado, Minnesota, Western, PEI, Dublin, Glasgow
Rejected: Colorado and Minnesota
Interviews: Iowa, Missouri, Glasgow, PEI
Withdrew: Western and PEI
Waitlisted: Iowa
Accepted: Missouri, Dublin, Glasgow
Attending: University of Missouri!!!! :D

• Cumulative GPA: 3.80
  • Required Science GPA: 3.76
  • Last-45 GPA: 3.92
  • GRE: 510 V, 640 Q, 3.5 AW

Honors and Awards:
Made Dean's list every semester I was enrolled at CCSU.
Golden Key International Honors Society (for being in the top 15% of my graduating class)

- 200 hours shadowing small animal vet
- 800 hours as kennel technician
- 150 hours volunteering at a horse/goat stable grooming and maintaining the animals

Research Experience:
- 3 semesters of independent research under the guidance of one of my professors studying the role of the SR in Kingfish contractions.
- Senior thesis (one semester) on my research that was performed in the previous 3 semesters.
- presented research at the eastern college science conference in 2009 at Wagner College.

- Have been playing piano for 18 years. Performed in numerous recitals, and many National Piano Playing Auditions
- Magic Cards (I'm a nerd)
- target archery
- jumping on trampolines for hours at a time
- accordion
- singing (took lessons throughout high school)

Overall, all of my extracurricular activities took place outside of school. I never really did any clubs or organizations (other than international honor society). I just really like music.

- Small animal vet I shadowed
- Physiology professor and research mentor
- Committee letter
- Horse breeder/owner of the farm I volunteered at

I'm a 33 yr old, second career student.

GPA (science and general): about 3.5
I have 2 MA degrees already
GRE: 1270 + 4.5 writing

My MA degrees were liberal arts, so I went back to a community college to do ALL my sciences.

Experience:
I run an all-volunteer humane society and have for 6 years... thousands of hours involved. I run spay/neuter clinics and have on and off for 8 years. [I pay my bills as a librarian.]

I submitted 5 eLOR in case someone didn't come through -- 2 from vets I work with regularly, 2 from instructors, and 1 from the ED of a large animal control.

Applied to Illinois (IS), Purdue (OOS), Wisconsin (OOS).

Accepted to Purdue; Illinois interview is tomorrow, and Wisconsin to announce by the end of the month (no interviews are done).

I have been stalling posting things until Wisco gave me a thumbs up or down, but I want to go to Mizzou, so it doesn't matter. Also, I feel like this outs me to anyone who may know me and is reading this. :scared: Hi guys.

1st time applicant, 21 year old female, Wisconsin resident.
Junior, Biology major, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Applied: Wisconsin, Purdue, Mizzou
Interviews: Purdue, Mizzou
Accepted: Purdue, Mizzou
Waiting: Wisconsin
Attending: MIZZOUUUU

Cumulative GPA: 3.9
Science: 3.9 (damn you, AB in ochem lab)
GRE: 600 V, 700 Q, 4.5 AW

Honors and Awards:
- Dean's List
- Lots of arts things from high school

Veterinary Experience
- 800 hours as a veterinary assistant at a small animal clinic
- 400 hours in mastitis research
- 100 hours of food animal shadowing (2 clinics)

Animal Experience
- 6000 hours of horse-related shenanigans (though let's be honest, it's probably more like ten million, if you talk to my parents)
- 400 hours of milking dairy goats, making cheese, and wrangling chickens
- 250 hours of milking cattle
- handful of hours with other species and farm sitting
- 7 years of 4H

Other employment:
- 5 years working for a nanotechnology company doing webdesign and marketing (family business)

- 4H
- Slow Food (Mizzou was captivated with this...)
- Lots and lots of arts and crafts (Purdue was worried I was a crazy scrapbooking addict!)
- Hospice Volunteer

- Small animal veterinarian I worked for through college
- Boss at the goat dairy I interned/worked with for two summers
- Large animal veterinarian I shadowed all summer
- Professor I worked for doing mastitis research
- Adviser who oversaw my internship and taught one of my classes

Hope that gives y'all some hope who are younger and feeling a little inexperienced. :) My lack of a degree wasn't a concern for the schools I applied to, and they chose to focus on what I'd done with my time!

Are you withdrawing from Iowa?

Yeah. I liked Missouri's program better and I already got accepted there so I sent them an e-mail yesterday telling them to take me off the alternate list. Just figured I would put that info down.

Good grief. The more I read y'alls' stats, the more I can't figure out how I got accepted up here at UMN.

I'll post my own stats here ... soonish. At the moment, my stomach is ringing the dinner bell quite loudly.

First time applicant, 24 year old female, PA resident

Bachelor of Science in Biology at Bucknell University

Applied: Colorado, Edinburgh, Penn, RVC, UTK, Washington
Rejected: Colorado :rolleyes:
Interviews: RVC, Washington
Withdrew: Probably UTK, they don't like my Biochem credit...
Waitlisted: N/A
Accepted: Edinburgh and RVC (much love to the UK)
Waiting on: Washington, Penn, UTK
Attending: ??? But probably somewhere in Europe!

• Cumulative GPA: 3.68
    (too lazy to figure out my last 45 and science)
  • GRE: first time - 430 V, 500 Q, 5.0 A (I swear I am not dumb); second time - 500 V, 710 Q, 5.0 A (see!)
    (I posted both my scores, even though the first embarrasses me, it shows everyone else that it is possible to do better!)
Honors and Awards:
Graduated Cum Laude
Allen Hamburg Scholarship
Deans List each semester at Bucknell
National Honor Society (High School)
Champion of Learning award for my Drawing class (also High School)

- 1500 hours working as a small animal vet assistant (I don't call myself a tech because I did not go to school for it).
- 4800 hours as a kennel tech in a small animal hospital
- 50 hours shadowing a few large animal vets
- 500 hours doing wildlife rehabilitation (summer internship)
- 250 hours for Bucknell Equestrian Team
- many other horse related hours I don't think I counted...

- Bucknell Track and Field (Freshman Year) and track during high school
- Student Art Association (founding president)
- Orientation Assistant (aka Freshman mentor)
- Rotary Club (High School)
- My personal pet portrait business :D

- Vet I currently work for (small animal)
- Wildlife Rehabilitation Manager/Supervisor
- Limnology Professor at Bucknell who I would call my unofficial advisor.

(ps. Limnology is the study of freshwater ecosystems, such a random, but amazing class).

Hopefully my stats help someone who, like me this time last year was going insane thinking, "AM I GOOD ENOUGH!?"
And to think I almost didn't take my current job working as a vet assistant because it would mean living at home with my parents.

So hopefully this gives some hope to people who are on multiple application cycles. I gave up after a couple of cycles right after undergrad, and then came back a few years ago after realizing I could not suppress my dreams. Also, this is the first year (dumb I know) that I applied to a school other than my IS, and man am I glad I did :D

6th (I think) time applicant, 30 year old female, VA resident
B.S. Business Administration
M.S. Companion Animal Behavior Analysis

Applied:VMRCVM, Missouri, Illinois, Edinburgh, Dublin
Interviews: Nada
Accepted: Edinburgh
Waiting: Dublin (considering pulling)
Attending: Almost 100% Edinburgh

Grades:
Cumulative GPA: 3.3
Science: 3.6
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.9 (Masters)
GRE: 510 V, 740 Q, 4.5 W

Veterinary Experience
- 7000hrs as surgical assistant in SA referral clinic
- 1500hrs as vet assistant at VMRCVM's equine medical center
- 2000hrs as SA general practice vet assistant

Animal Experience
- Off the top of my head I don't recall the hours, but 1000s between dogs, cats and horses. Rode and showed for over 10 years. Had two horses. Trained and competed in canine sports with my dogs for past 7 years. Had some experience with pocket pets and turtles.

Other employment:
- 3 years office manager for financial firm

- 2 SA surgeons from referral clinic
- 1 SA internist from referral clinic
- Thesis advisor for Master's research thesis

Honors and other extracurricular:
-Academic scholarship to undergrad
-Dean's list
-Horse and dog trial awards and trophies
-Even though I am older, I did list a few key awards from high school, including an academic award sending me to Europe
-for app listed all of my hobbies and activities

First time applicant. 22 years old. Male. California Resident

BS in Animal Science at California Polytechnic State University at San Luis Obispo

Applied: UC Davis, Iowa, Washington, Kansas, Colorado, Wisconsin
Rejected: Colorado
Interviews: UCD (March 9th), Iowa, Washington, Kansas
Waitlisted: Iowa
Accepted: Kansas
Waiting on: UC Davis, Washington, and Wisconsin

• Cumulative GPA: 3.74
  • Required Science GPA: 3.57
  • Last-45 GPA: 3.82
  • GRE 1st Take- Verbal 430, Quant 640, Analytical 4
  • GRE 2nd Take- Verbal 470, Quant 600, Analytical 4
Veterinary/Animal Experience
-504 hours on calving enterprise
-240 hours Cal Poly Bull Test
-200 hours AI breeding, collecting bulls, and learning proper semen handling techniques
-80 hours on farrowing at swine unit
-90 hours in beef, swine, and equine labs
-64 hours halter breaking
-20 hours horse feeding and mare care
-Tons of hours from my pets which has included 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 2 chinchillas, and a ball python.
-257 hours at 3 small animal clinics, including the on campus clinic and my vet back home.
-21 hours riding along with a large animal vet

Employment
Tutor for O-chem
1500 hours working at a burger stand (high school job... super glamorous :D)
45 hours at a KFC

Extra Curricular Activities (mainly high school)
-Boy Scouts of America for something like 10 years
-High School Varsity Tennis 3 years
-German Exchange Program (2005)

Letters of Recommendation
1. My Small Animal Veterinarian I worked with back at home
2. The head of our Beef Department whom I've worked with on a lot of enterprises and classes.
3. One of my English teachers who I had for multiple classes, taught a Animal Science English class, and has been really supportive through the whole vet school process

Awards/ Scholarships
Lots of high school scholarships
Deans list a lot
Presidents list
American Society of Animal Science Undergraduate Scholarship Award (no money but my name was in the journal of ASCI)

Felt like this would be good for others who don't have their thousands upon thousands of hours. I still have three schools left to hear from so hopefully more good news but who knows. Congrats to everyone else getting in and for those applying this next year good luck.

First time applicant, 25 year old male, IL resident
Bachelors in Biology
Masters in Ag production

Applied: IL, WI, IA, MN, CO, WA, Davis, Cornell, Tufts, Penn
Interviews: Minnesota
Accepted: Minnesota
Waiting: Wisconsin

Grades:
Cumulative Undergrad GPA: 3.01
Science: not sure, changes depending on which classes a school counts, but a lot of B's and C's.
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.86 (Masters)
GRE take 2: 700 V, 760 Q, 5 W
GRE take 1: 530 V, 620 Q, 3.5 W

Veterinary Experience
- 540 hrs as vet assistant at a local small town clinic (small and large, including farm calls)
-500 hrs at a university wildlife clinic (mostly avian)

Animal Experience
-300 hrs dairy farmhand

-1 vet (second vet forgot to hit "submit"!)
-2 graduate professors
-2 undergrad professors

First time applicant, 24 year old female, PA resident

Bachelor of Science in Biology at Bucknell University

Applied: Colorado, Edinburgh, Penn, RVC, UTK, Washington
Rejected: Colorado :rolleyes:
Interviews: RVC, Washington
Withdrew: Probably UTK, they don't like my Biochem credit...
Waitlisted: N/A
Accepted: Edinburgh and RVC (much love to the UK)
Waiting on: Washington, Penn, UTK
Attending: ??? But probably somewhere in Europe!

• Cumulative GPA: 3.68
    (too lazy to figure out my last 45 and science)
  • GRE: first time - 430 V, 500 Q, 5.0 A (I swear I am not dumb); second time - 500 V, 710 Q, 5.0 A (see!)
    (I posted both my scores, even though the first embarrasses me, it shows everyone else that it is possible to do better!)
Honors and Awards:
Graduated Cum Laude
Allen Hamburg Scholarship
Deans List each semester at Bucknell
National Honor Society (High School)
Champion of Learning award for my Drawing class (also High School)

- 1500 hours working as a small animal vet assistant (I don't call myself a tech because I did not go to school for it).
- 4800 hours as a kennel tech in a small animal hospital
- 50 hours shadowing a few large animal vets
- 500 hours doing wildlife rehabilitation (summer internship)
- 250 hours for Bucknell Equestrian Team
- many other horse related hours I don't think I counted...

- Bucknell Track and Field (Freshman Year) and track during high school
- Student Art Association (founding president)
- Orientation Assistant (aka Freshman mentor)
- Rotary Club (High School)
- My personal pet portrait business :D

- Vet I currently work for (small animal)
- Wildlife Rehabilitation Manager/Supervisor
- Limnology Professor at Bucknell who I would call my unofficial advisor.

(ps. Limnology is the study of freshwater ecosystems, such a random, but amazing class).

Hopefully my stats help someone who, like me this time last year was going insane thinking, "AM I GOOD ENOUGH!?"
And to think I almost didn't take my current job working as a vet assistant because it would mean living at home with my parents.

Nice improvement on the GRE! If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to improve?

Nice improvement on the GRE! If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to improve?

Well, step one was get serious about the test. I initially went into it not thinking it was going to be a big deal (I "studied" a bit, did some problems here and there but used the answers as a crutch and a study guide - big mistake). Saw the results, cried at the test center (yes, tears were shed, I thought... that's it, I will never get into vet school). Made an appointment for another test date the second I got home. Started studying for real the day after. I was taking a summer Chem course, but I tried to do a little each day. Lots of practice tests, on the computer... timed. That is the best way to do it. I also studied the top 200 words used, which obviously didn't help too much. But getting my timing down for the math was the key. First test I froze up in the middle of it and spent 5 minutes on a question... BIG MISTAKE. Okay done ranting. Hope that helps? I used Kaplan's study books, the general ones and advanced math and verbal books! They came with a CD-ROM for computer tests

1st time applicant, 22 year old Female, WI Resident
Bachelors in Dairy Science w/ emphasis in science

Applied: WI, Minnesota, and Iowa
Interviewed: Minnesota and Iowa
Rejected: Iowa
Accepted: Minnesota and Wisconsin!

Grades
Cumulative Undergrad: 3.56
Science: 3.30
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.96
GRE: 520V, 710Q, 4.0A

-I grew up on a 250 cow dairy farm, so I have been numerous hours working with fresh cow disorders (diagnosing and treating), and showed cattle for 12 years
-300 hours shadowing large animal veterinarian who gave me hands on surgical experience
-100 hours with an equine veterinarian
-100 hours with small veterinarian
-I also owned my own horse growing up, so I had animal experience hours in that area

Extracurricular
-Dairy Club
-Pre-vet club
-Intercollegiate swimming and diving team
-Dairy cattle judging team
-HS Track and field
-USA swimming team
-4-H and FFA for 12 years

Letters of Recommendation
-1 from large animal veterinarian that I worked with
-1 from dairy science professor/ dairy judging team coach
-1 from academic adviser/ dairy science professor

I was definitely surprised to get in since my not-so-fabulous O.Chem grade dropped my science GPA, but it's apparently do-able! Now I just have to decide between Wisconsin(IS) and Minnesota!!! Any suggestions??
Good luck to everyone else waiting and congrats to all of the class of 2015'ers!!!!!!! :)

First time applicant, 22 years old, female, MA resident
B.S. in Animal Science completed May 2011

Applied: Colorado State, University of Minnesota, University of Missouri, UPenn, Tufts, and Ohio State
Rejected: Colorado State, U Minnesota, University of Missouri, and Ohio State
Interview: Tufts, UPenn
Accepted: Tufts, UPenn
Attending: UPenn

Cum GPA: 3.56, 3.3ish with my abroad grades factored in:( They were awful.
Last 45 hours: 3.24 (again, with the abroad grades)

GRE:
560V, 720Q, 4.5 AW

Veterinary Experience:
-1350 hours working at a small animal hospital as a tech assistant
-24 hours volunteering at a spay clinic

Animal Experience:
-220 hours volunteering as an animal caretaker
-50 hours at a no kill shelter :/
-400 hours volunteering a wildlife reserve for baboons in South Africa
-35 hours as a TA for a large animal course

Other Employment:
-150 hours as a security monitor at my university
-350 hours as a swim instructor/lifeguard

-Marching band 3 years in college, 4 years in high school
-concert band 1 year
-community band 1 summer
high school- swimming and lacrosse

-Prof for the class I TAed
-One from each vet I worked with for a few years at the animal hospital (2 vets)
-Prof of two of my previous classes that I took

Awards and Honors:
-Deans List 2 Semesters

I went abroad last Spring and my English grades really transferred really badly with a 2.6 for the semester:( Here's to everyone who has a low GPA- it still can be done!

Good Luck to all those still waiting!:xf:

I went abroad last Spring and my English grades really transferred really badly with a 2.6 for the semester:( Here's to everyone who has a low GPA- it still can be done!

Good Luck to all those still waiting!:xf:

Ditto to the low gpa thing! And congrats, Ehkehfemal. Tufts and UPenn seem to be particularly selective! Although aren't they all...

If you think that's low you've got nothin' on me lol. I'll really post here when I hear from Western, but I did get into RVC. I have a 3.25 cumulative, and about a 3.1 science...maybe even lower. Last 45 is much higher.

So... probs gonna have to look at my VMCAS app for this :)

First time applicant, 22 years old, Female, Iowa resident.
- Double Bachelors Degree in Spanish and International Studies (Dec '10)
- Graduated as a member of the UI Honors Program with a Commendation for Study Abroad

Applied: Iowa State, Kansas State
Interview: Iowa State, Kansas State
Accepted: Iowa State, Kansas State
Decision: Iowa State 2015

(these stats are based on my ISU reqs since that's where I'm going)
Cum GPA @ time of application: 3.66
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.70
Science GPA @ time of application: 3.56
GRE: 1210. 720q, 490v, 4.0 AW

Veterinary Experience:
- Research Project - Zoonotic Diseases (Rabies, Brucellosis, Eq. Encephalitis)
- 100 hours shadowing a vet, hands-on experience

Animal Experience:
- IC Animal Shelter Volunteer
- 4-H
- PetCo employee
- lived on a farm my whole life

(I did so much in High School it's not worth mentioning...)
- Study Abroad - Sevilla, Spain (4 months)
- Hawkeye Marching Band Drumline 4 years (Section Leader 2 yrs, Drumline Captain 1 yr)
- Flood '08 volunteer
- Not sure where to put this but I'm bilingual (Spanish/English)

eLORS:
- 2 vets
- Marching Band director
- Family friend

Awards and Honors:
- Iowa Girls' State - senator (+ other random high school awards)
- too many random scholarships to count
- NSCS
- UI Dean's List (7 semesters)

So... probs gonna have to look at my VMCAS app for this :)

(I did so much in High School it's not worth mentioning...)
- Study Abroad - Sevilla, Spain (4 months)
- Hawkeye Marching Band Drumline 4 years (Section Leader 2 yrs, Drumline Captain 1 yr)

YAAAAAY MARCHING BAND! sorry. Had to. :biglove:

Also: Ang/lalaland- Congrats to you both! it's nice to see things like this:)

It makes me happy when I see other bandos going to vet school besides me!:D

Last edited:
It was actually kind of fun going over this. I closed my eyes and submitted my VMCAS without ever looking back at it, fearing I would notice a mistake and drive myself freakin' nuts about it. I actually do look kind of impressive on paper (except for that GRE score...freakin' GRE...)

First time applicant, 23 years old, Wisconsin Resident.
BA in Psychology
(Was) working on an MS in Animal Science -not anymore! haha

Applied: Colorado State, University of Wisconsin
Interview: no interview
Accepted: Wisconsin
Decision: Wisconsin 2015

Cum GPA @ time of application: 3.75
Last 45 credit hrs: ? Something high haha
Science GPA @ time of application: 3.5 ish
GRE: 1180. 580q, 600v, 4.5 AW

Veterinary Experience:
- 200 hrs with a dairy vet
-100 hrs with an equine vet
-650+ hours working in swine research
-450+ hours working in a 24-hr emergency facility
-280+ hours working at a cat-only clinic
-300+ hours volunteering at humane society ringworm treatment annex

Animal Experience:
- I've had nearly every pet you can imagine haha
- Animal caretaker at an exotic petting zoo
- I've assisted in the training of many of my friends' pets (My psych degree had a behavior focus)

-Cross country team in high school
-Art club in high school
-Creative writing in high school
-co-ed volleyball last summer (who cares if beer was almost always involved? :p)
-Creative arts (drawing, painting, etc) pretty much my whole life

eLORS:
-3 vets (dairy, equine, and cat clinic)
-My PI

Awards and Honors:
-Presidential award in high school
-Academic letter award in high school
-General Awareness award in Miss Teen of Wisconsin
-Most photogenic in Miss Teen of Wisconsin (Hey, it's an award! haha)
-Deans list 5 times in undergrad

YAAAAAY MARCHING BAND! sorry. Had to. :biglove:

Also: Ang/lalaland- Congrats to you both! it's nice to see things like this:)

It makes me happy when I see other bandos going to vet school besides me!:D

look forward to meeting you ehkehfemal!

one strange thing i learned about vet students--a very high number of them were in marching band haha :love:

I stand by my theory that musicians are the most intelligent :) SO many people in the HMB are incredibly talented and smart... I used to really enjoy listening to the section leaders list off their majors! Plus, a lot of the pre-vet people I've talked to are or were musicians for a significant amount of time. If I weren't going into vet med, I'd want to be a singer (since it would be hard to find a job as a bass drum soloist) :D. But I digress.

Someone before (I think it was Bacci) said something about looking impressive on paper. Well, I don't think I look impressive. Nothing is really outstanding on my app so don't give up hope all you average experience and GPA people! I think it was just my Spanish/non-science major that made them think I was something special :)

woww everyone's stats are so amazing! Congrats!!! I thought when I submitted mine I had a pretty good chance but it looks like everyone is doing a heck of a lot better than I am. Makes me wonder how I even got accepted to OSU and CSU...guess I got lucky! still waiting to hear from penn and then ill post mine!

I have a slightly different background than most... chemical engineering coupled with *lots* of undergraduate research before I knew I wanted to be a vet. I'm hoping these stats will be useful for anyone who decides late in their academic career (junior year in my case) that veterinary medicine is the right path for them!

First time applicant, 22 year old female, NY resident
Applied: Cornell, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Tufts, UPenn, Mississippi, Louisiana, Kansas, Mizzou
Interview: OSU, Tufts (declined), UPenn (declined), Mississippi (declined), Louisiana (declined), Kansas (declined)
Rejected: Sort of from Mizzou... I'm on their "maybe you'll be waitlisted" pile
Waitlisted: Wisconsin (#56...)
Accepted: Cornell, OSU
Attending: Cornell

Degree: B.S. Chemical Engineering

Cumulative GPA: 3.68
GRE Score: 1380
Verbal: 600
Quant: 780
Analytical Writing: 4.0

Veterinary Experience
- Shadowing at small animal clinic (~100 hours)
- Working as a veterinary assistant at an small animal/exotic/avian clinic (~300 hours)
- Pre-veterinary study abroad - focus on exotic animals of Belize (55 hours)
- Pre-veterinary study abroad - focus on large animals of Belize (55 hours)

Animal Experience
- Animal shelter volunteer one summer (~40 hours)

Research Experience (this is what really set me apart, imho)
- Summer assisting in Protein Engineering Laboratory
- Three semesters undergraduate research studying the application of silicon nanoparticles for cell-targeted bioimaging
- Summer internship at General Motors Fuel Cell division
- Summer internship at Laboratory for Laser Energetics

- Played guitar on my church worship team
- Volunteered to help with Hurricane Katrina relief for 3 spring break trips
- Served as sound technician for Intervarsity Christian Fellowship
- Member of Swing Dance Club
- Volunteered with Appalachian Service Project
- Served on executive board of Intervarsity Christian Fellowship
- Member of a youth orchestra during high school (violin)

Honors and Awards:
-Dean's List (multiple times)
-Full ride academic scholarship recipient
-University Honors Scholar
-Various other scholarships

eLORS:
- Small/exotic animal practicioner who I worked closest with in my job as a veterinary assistant
- Small animal vet who I shadowed for a summer
- PhD who oversaw my silicon nanoparticle bioimaging research
- (For Tufts only) PhD who was my mentor for my capstone project

I promised myself I'd post here as soon as I'd heard from all of my schools. I found the previous year's rendition of this thread a huge help during the application/waiting process. Here goes:

First time applicant, 22 years old, male, Maryland resident
Biochemistry major from #7 ranked school for undergraduate teaching

Overall undergrad GPA: 3.57
Science: ~3.6
Last 45 credit hours: ~3.7

GRE: Qualitative - 630, Quantitative - 760, Writing - 5.0

Applied: VMRCVM, Penn, Tufts, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, CSU, UC Davis
Denied: CSU, UC Davis
Interviewed: Penn (1/14), VMRCVM (1/29), Minnesota (2/5), Tufts (2/8)
Alternate: Wisconsin
Accepted: Michigan State, VMRCVM, Minnesota, Tufts, Penn
Attending: Penn!

Veterinary Experience:
2000 hours - veterinary assistant at a neurology specialty practice

Research experience:
800 hours - sequencing 18S locus of newly discovered species of mite harvestmen (part of an overall project that uses mite harvestmen DNA data as puzzle pieces to track patterns of continental drift since the breakup of the Gondwanan supercontinent)
500 hours - field research on leaf litter arachnid diversity gradients in the tropical wet forests of northern Costa Rica (independent research during study abroad, attempting to publish in a small Latin American tropical studies journal)

Animal experience:
1500 hours - zoo keeper aide at the Invertebrate House at National Zoo

Other notables:
-Collegiate soccer player (all-conference and academic all-conference)
-Fluent Spanish speaker
-Campus coordinator of Lose the Shoes (national AIDS education charity soccer tournament)
-Play the saxophone (but not in marching band) and guitar (also, no marching band)
-Enjoy sailing, windsurfing, other outdoors stuff that all pre-vets seem to like
-Wanted to be a vet since I was a wee little boy

eLORs:
Biochemistry professor
Academic/research advisor (also was my professor for several classes)
Veterinary neurologist (my current boss)

Though the depth of my veterinary experience is subjectively limited, I still managed to be successful in this crazy process. I think what's important is that people are well-rounded. Good luck to the rest of you 2015'ers still waiting as well as the next cycle of applicants beginning to use SDN.

Ok. I promised I'd eventually post this, so I should keep my word.

Where: MN resident.
How often: Took me until my second try.

Applied/Interviewed/Accepted/Attending:

• University of MN (Go Gophers!)
GPAs:

• St. Olaf College: 1.74
  • University of MN: 0.00 (this and Olaf were 20 years ago; don't ask)
  • University of St. Thomas: 3.98 (BA in Theology. Yes, theology.)
  • North Hennepin Community College: 4.00 (vet pre-reqs)
  • MN State University - Moorhead: 4.00 (vet pre-reqs)
GRE:

• 620Q
  • 780A
  • 5AW
Veterinary Experience (~400 hours):

• 250 hours volunteer canine rehab at UMN
  • 100 hours shadowing, small animal clinic
  • 48 hours shadowing, equine clinic
  • 8 hours shadowing, production animal vet
  • 8 hours shadowing, vet orthopedic surgeon
Animal Experience:

• 100 hours volunteer wildlife rehab
  • 200 hours dairy farm labor (my back hurts thinking about it)
  • 80 hours providing at-home care for pets (pet-sitting, basically, but with daily SQ LRS for one particular cat)
  • skijoring, including training....
  • pet ownership.... (which, I learned in another thread, I wasn't supposed to include)
Employment:

• Newspaper reporter/photographer, 2 years
  • Systems administrator, 3 years
  • Systems engineer, 13 years (with multiple demonstrated promotions)
Awards and Honors:

• All the usual star high-school student nonsense that, in retrospect, really was kinda silly.
  • Dean's list from college
  • A few industry awards from my company
  • Some industry certifications
  • I included one promotion from my current career, because it required extensive (100+ page) documentation on my part, and presentation before a board by my vice president
  • A handful of music awards
Community Activity:

• Oh, you know, this and that
  • Working at a soup kitchen regularly (but not often - like 4 times/yr)
  • Scuba diving
  • Flying
  • Serving as a director in the flight club
  • Volunteer medical flights with Air Lifeline (transporting people who don't have transportation money to medical care)
  • Medical relief work in Brazil
  • Church leadership
  • Church music
Evaluators (It's sorta a pet peeve of mine that people keep calling the LORs when they aren't, but I get it. Truly, I do.):

• The vet at the small animal clinic I shadowed (and continue to shadow, even though I'm accepted... it's great experience and hey, I like them).
  • The CVT that runs rehab. When I didn't get in last year, the admissions person explicitly said: "Use her again next year. She gave you an excellent evaluation."
  • A professor (with my 'bad history' I wanted someone in the academic world vouching for me on top of my recent academic success).

Congratulations to everyone! Glad to see successful non-trads, too.

[*]Serving as a director in the flight club

Definitely read that as "FIGHT club" and was kinda confused :laugh:

Plus, a lot of the pre-vet people I've talked to are or were musicians for a significant amount of time. If I weren't going into vet med, I'd want to be a singer (since it would be hard to find a job as a bass drum soloist) :D. But I digress.

Unfortunately, due to it being waaaaay awkward, I was never in marching band. I play the violin. But, when I go to vet school, I'd love to pick up an instrument that I've always wanted to play in my free time (......:laugh:......) Maybe C13 will teach me his mad oboe skills!:xf: Have there ever been studies with people who are uber 'liberal arts' oriented? I love doing both - I love animals & dance/art(can't draw :p)/music (played or listening).:D