Successful Applicants Stats - Class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
26 year old CA resident, female, 1st time applicant

I've been a long time lurker and I can't believe I get to post here this year! I almost didn't apply this cycle because I thought my application still needed some work esp with my low GRE scores. I also didn't have crazy diverse veterinary experience or a large amount of animal experience compared to others. I'm really glad I took a shot because not only did I get into vet school my first try, but I got into my first choice and DREAM school! So to those that are scrolling through this thread in hopes of applying next year, don't be discouraged if it seems like your stats are not as competitive as others. You really never know how things will turn out and as long as you meet all the requirements, always give it your best shot :) So excited for this upcoming year ^__^

Applied: Midwestern, SGU, Ohio State, Michigan State, Mizzou, Virginia-Maryland, Iowa State, Purdue
Interview invites: Midwestern, SGU, Ohio State, Michigan State
Rejected: Virginia-Maryland, Mizzou, and Purdue
Waitlisted: Iowa State
Accepted: Ohio State, Michigan State, Midwestern, and SGU
Attending: Ohio State :soexcited::love:

Degree: B.A. in Psychology
Took ALL my science pre-reqs at a community college post-bacc (proof that it doesn't matter where your pre-reqs come from)

Overall GPA: 3.49
Undergrad GPA: 2.98 lol
Science GPA: 3.72
Last 45 GPA: 3.86

GRE: 144V/154Q/4.0AW
(also proof that GREs aren't everything :whistle:)

Vet Experience:
  • 2000+ hours and counting as a technician in a small animal hospital
  • 1000ish hours as a kennel assistant in a SA/exotic/avian hospital
Animal Experience:
  • 80-90 hours working with farm animals/equine at our school's farm
  • 300ish hours volunteering at a no kill shelter
Research:
  • 500-600ish hours as a research assistant for an ongoing study dealing with children with Autism, Aspergers, and ADHD
Employment:
  • Assistant manager at a coffee/tea shop
  • Server in multiple restaurant establishments
  • Worked in undergraduate housing
Extracurriculars/Awards:
  • Philantrophy chairman in my sorority
eLORs:
  • SA vet who I worked very closely with and whom I viewed as a mentor
  • SA vet who I assisted with in surgeries
  • Hospital manager in the clinic that I worked in for 2.5 years
  • Ochem professor who was also my gen chem 2 professor
Essays
Talked about my desire to work with pets of the homeless population and how I hope one day to open a low cost clinic that they feel welcome to seek care for their furry family members.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
27 yr old male, California resident, 1st time applicant

Applied:
Illinois, Washington State, Oregon State, Virginia-Maryland, Michigan State, UC Davis, Wisconsin, Iowa, Colorado
Interview Invites: Virginia-Maryland, Michigan State (no interviews for Iowa or Wisconsin)
Rejected: Illinois, Washington State, Oregon State, UC Davis, Wisconsin, Colorado
Accepted: Michigan State, Virginia-Maryland (alternate), Iowa (alternate)
Attending: TBD but most likely Michigan State at this rate :)

Overall GPA: 3.11
Science GPA: 3.13
Last 45 GPA: 3.55

GRE (Q/V/W)--not my cup of tea: 151 /150 /5

Degree:
BS Anthropology (June 2013)

Veterinary Experience
Veterinary assistant at small animal practice: 5000+ hrs
Shadowed Equestrian veterinarian: 50 hours

Animal Experience
Volunteered at dog/cat shelters: 100 hrs

Research
Botany Research Laboratory as an undergrad: 1000 hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards
Graduated in white (high school held above 4.0 GPA all 4 yrs)
Dean's list (one timer 2012)
Vice President of Rugby club for 1 year (was told by many human doctors when I was still interested in human medicine :vomit: that this was a waste of time, to you I say, HAH. You're a waste of time! Lol)

Non-Animal Employment
Vector Marketing Cutco Salesman: 1.5 years
Customer Service Associate: 4 years
Clinical Care Extender at human hospital: 2.5 years

LORs
x 3 small animal veterinarians at my place of work

Essay Questions/Personal Statement
Really sold myself as a success story that was never meant to happen coming from a single parent home of an immigrant mother. Lots of trials and challenges trying to adjust to college (first generation college student) which explained in part why my grades as an undergrad to start off with were not the best. Talked about how failure has made me an even more competitive person than the people who have never been graced enough to be humiliated by failure to understand what it means to fail and learn more about yourself in the process of failing.

One of my biggest pieces of advice is not to be discouraged by any schools who won't even give you the time of day because of things you now hold no control over (overall GPA as an undergrad for example in my case). Honestly if a school isn't willing to look past one thing that makes you look like a "bad candidate" and it's a big enough deal to not even allow you a chance to prove yourself, then that school is not fit to house your experience and attitude.

Hold out hope! I got alternated at Virginia-Maryland and rejected from Wisconsin the day before I got the acceptance email from Michigan State ( and boy was it a happy moment :D ) Yes it might take longer for you to see some light of success but one thing I convinced myself of the night before I got accepted is that no matter what it took and how many no's I got, I would never give up hope and I would continue to value myself and my character as a perfect candidate to be a veterinarian in the future.

I believe in all of you who don't believe in yourselves!! I didn't used to believe in myself as an undergrad and I learned that you have to be your biggest believer/fan aside from your parents and even significant others! Don't sell yourselves short. You are capable and you will make it if you want it bad enough.

Congratulations to the rest of you who got accepted. Especially the ones who applied more than one year. You were and are an inspiration to us all!

Reactions: 8 users
22 yr old female, Georgia Resident, 2nd time applicant
Long time lurker, first time poster! So excited to join this awesome community of future vets!

Applied: UGA, Lincoln Memorial, Miss. State, Auburn
Interviews: Lincoln Memorial, Miss. State, Auburn (declined)
Accepted: Lincoln Memorial, Miss. State, UGA
Attending: UGA!!!! Go Dawgs! :love::soexcited:

Overall GPA: 3.92
Science GPA: 3.89
Last 45 GPA: 3.87

Degree: BS Animal Science, Chemistry Minor

GRE (Q/V/W): 155 (60%)/ 159 (81%)/ 4.0 (56%)

Veterinary Experience
Veterinary Assistant - two different small animal practices ( 2800+ hrs combined)
Veterinary Assistant - large animal practice (255 hrs)
Job Shadowing - small/large animal (50 hrs)

Animal Experience
Dairy Farm Shift Leader (1800 hrs)
Dairy Calf Systems Manager (680 hrs)
Volunteer at horse rescue (170 hrs)

Research Experience
Lab Animal Care Tech, UGA - BSL2 (500 hrs)

Non-Animal Volunteering
Annual Church Mission Trip Volunteer (120 hrs)

Extracurriculars
A Cappella student choir member
Alpha Zeta Honor Society
Dairy Heifer show team member
Campus Dairy tour Guide

Awards/Training

Summa Cum Laude Graduate - undergrad
OSHA training
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society Member
AI Certification (Artificial Insemination)
RLAT Certification (Registered Lab Animal Tech)
DACQA (Dairy Quality Assurance) Certification
IACUC Training
Deans List - all undergrad semesters
Dean's Scholarship
Zell Miller Scholarship

eLORs
Small Animal Vet - worked with for 2 years
Supervisor at Dairy Farm
Undergrad Animal Science Professor
Clinical Lab Animal Vet
Director of Lab Animal Department

Essay Questions
Mainly talked about how, though I didn't grow up on a farm in ANY capacity, my undergrad work really ignited a passion for large animal medicine (particularly cattle). I plan to work in a rural area and bring quality care to farmers and pet owners alike. Also talked about how much I enjoy a fast paced environment, love a challenge, and how important it is to maintain a sense of humor - or else the grim parts of this job would drive you crazy!

Side note/Things that helped me - Every applicant is different, unique, and has something awesome to bring to the table. YOUR LIFE IS NOT OVER just because you may not have gotten in this year (even though it may feel like it). I had to learn that lesson the hard way last application cycle, trust me. My best advice would be to talk to the schools you applied to and get as many pointers as you can for next year. That helped me so much this year, and I used my gap year to do everything I could to make myself a much better candidate. Also, NETWORKING is your best friend! I hate to say it, but very often who you know can play a BIG role...

Congrats to my fellow future vets out there! May the odds be ever in your favor!!:clap::highfive:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Woah @ziggyandjazzy your animal experiences are so cool! Also, hiking the PCT?! :love: I totally want to be your friend even more now :p
Aw thank you!

And yeah I hiked all of California on my gap year before college! I thought it would be a weird thing to list on my app but I really wanted to include it because I think it showed perseverance and grit.

Reactions: 1 users
20 year old female, GA resident, first time applicant
I can't believe I actually get to do this... lots of tears shed the last few days!

Applied: UGA
Rejections: N/A
Interviews: N/A (UGA doesn't interview)
Accepted: UGA
Attending: UGA GO DAWGS!!!! :soexcited:

Cum GPA: 3.89
Science GPA: 3.84
Last 45: 4.0

GRE (V/Q/W): 162/159/4.5

Degree: BSA Animal Science (completing in May)

Veterinary Hours:
400 hours - veterinary assistant, small animal hospital
80 hours - riding with equine veterinarian

Animal hours:
~4500 hours working with horses at various barns, riding, camps, showing, working student
~150 hours in lab for undergraduate animal science classes

Research:
None

Extra-curricular:
Member of Alpha Gamma Delta
Various volunteering with Beta Club/NHS/Sorority

Awards/honors:
GA Certificate of Merit (HS)
Valedictorian (HS)
Zell Miller Scholarship
Dean’s List (5 semesters)
President's List (3 semesters)

LORs:
2 - small animal veterinarians at my clinic (one knew me much better - this was who got my reference call)
1 - equine veterinarian I rode with for a summer
1 - veterinary technician manager and my small animal clinic (spoke to work ethic & skills)
1 - academic advisor and professor, close relationship

Essays:
I spoke a lot about my passion for horses (riding since I was 3) and how I was always set on equine but was a latecomer to the small animal world and fell in love with the work there, so I applied mixed. Spoke about my experiences with a broad range of people, having lived in England for 8 years and due to the frequency I travel. Spoke a lot about the value of diversity and how it can shape vet/client interactions.

Reactions: 4 users
One of my biggest pieces of advice is not to be discouraged by any schools who won't even give you the time of day because of things you now hold no control over (overall GPA as an undergrad for example in my case). Honestly if a school isn't willing to look past one thing that makes you look like a "bad candidate" and it's a big enough deal to not even allow you a chance to prove yourself, then that school is not fit to house your experience and attitude.
@hydra392 - this really hit home for me! I applied three times to NCSU (my IS for two of those times), only to get rejected every time. Like you, my GPA and GRE are not stellar, but I have thousands of hours in veterinary/animal experience. Even though NCSU was my "dream school", I decided to apply to other vet schools as an OOS, hoping they would see value in me as a candidate, though I did not expect to get an acceptance. My first time applying to Michigan State, and I was accepted there. It just goes to show that sometimes you need to broaden your options because every vet school views applicants differently. I'll post my stats later. :)

I can't believe I'm finally posting here! Congrats to everyone else who has been accepted and good luck to those who will be applying!

21 year old female, Ohio resident, 1st time applicant

Applied: Ohio State, Purdue, Michigan State
Interview invites: Ohio State, Purdue, Michigan State
Rejected: None
Waitlisted: Purdue, Michigan State
Accepted: OHIO STATE!!!!!!!!
Attending: OHIO STATE!!!! *dream school* :soexcited::love::clap::biglove:

Degree: Graduating this Spring with a B.S. in Zoology

Overall GPA: 3.97
Science GPA: 3.95

GRE (V/Q/W): 151/149/5.0
(Definitely not a great standardized tester and the weakest part of my application, but goes to show lots of experience and a high GPA can offset the low test scores!)

Vet Experience: (all of my experiences were very hands-on! shadowing = actively helping out with procedures)
  • 1500 hrs employed as a veterinary assistant at a small animal/small exotics clinic
  • 450 hrs very hands-on volunteering at small animal clinic
  • 60 hrs riding along with a local equine vet
  • 40 hrs shadowing at an equine only clinic in Cleveland
  • 50 hrs shadowing at an equine only ambulatory practice near Columbus
  • 1 week shadowing vets at the USDA
  • A few days shadowing veterinary pathologists at the ODA
  • 2 days shadowing at OSU's Large Animal Services in Marysville
  • 1 day shadowing a board certified laboratory animal vet
Animal Experience:
  • 3500 hrs employed at an upscale pet lodging facility (dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, etc..)
  • 3 days volunteering at a wildcat sanctuary (cougars, bobcats, african servals, etc..)
  • Random hours at a few different dairy cow farms (castrating, dehorning, vaccinating, palpating..even helped pull a calf!)
  • Random hours at two different goat farms (vaccinating, pulling blood, trimming feet)
  • Volunteered for a day at the local dog warden
  • Pet sitter since high school - dogs, cats, and horses. Gave insulin and oral/topical medications (only put 100 hrs on my application even though I know it's more)
  • Fostered a few dogs for a dalmatian rescue during high school
Research:
  • ~150 hrs (5 semesters). I performed survivable stereotaxic brain surgery on rats implanting a guide cannulae into the ventromedial hypothalamus. In short, we injected an agonist and antagonist into their brains looking at how it impacts muscle thermogenesis.
Employment:
  • None, all of my employment is either animal or veterinary related
Extracurriculars:
  • Pre-Veterinary Club (Secretary then Vice President)
  • Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
  • The National Society of Leadership & Success
  • Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society
  • Member of my honors college at undergrad
  • Biology Scholars Program
  • Buckeye Vet Exploration day at OSU (didn't know where to put this so I just put it in extracurriculars)
  • Intramural soccer
  • H2O Church
(In the VMCAS directions, it said to list extracurriculars from high school. I figured it couldn't hurt - they're listed below)
  • Female Representative of Student Council
  • National Honor Society
  • National French Honor Society
  • French Club
  • Female Ambassador for bullying prevention program at high school
  • Tutor to Spanish-speaking elementary kids
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes
  • Future Farmers of America (FFA)
  • Junior Engineering Technical Society Club
  • 4 year varsity letter winner, all-league, district champions in soccer
  • 2 year varsity letter winner in track and field
Awards:
  • I received a total of 11 scholarships during my undergraduate studies...didn't really feel the need to list them all haha
  • President's List, Dean's List
  • I also received various high school awards that are too irrelevant to post

eLORs:
  • Ohio State Almuni vet (hospital director) that I work for who sees small animals and small exotics (large and small birds, reptiles, amphibians, rabbits, rodents, etc..)
  • Ohio State Almuni vet I shadowed on local equine farm calls
  • Research PI
Essays
It's really hard trying to provide the answer to each question, be unique, and stay within the character limit. I just talked about how open I am to where the career will lead me, the role in public health vets play, the human-animal bond, etc...

Reactions: 2 users
23 year old AZ resident, female, 1st time applicant

Applied: Iowa State, Wisconsin, Lincoln Memorial, Oregon State, Washington State
Interview invites: Lincoln Memorial, Washington State (the three other schools did not do interviews either for OOS or both IS/OOS)
Rejected: none
Waitlisted: Washington State, Oregon State, LMU
Accepted: Iowa State, Wisconsin
Attending: Iowa State

Degree: B.S. in Veterinary Science with minors in Biochemistry and Special Education Rehabilitation Programs (3 other associate degrees from CC after University)
Retook Physics 1 at a community college because I got a D in it the first semester. Aced it the second time around, so it goes to show that you can still get in with a bad grade!

Overall GPA: 3.47
Undergrad GPA: 3.43
Science GPA: 3.19
Last 45 GPA: 3.8

GRE: 155V/153Q/5.0AW

Vet Experience:
  • 2500+ Veterinary hours (companion animals, caprines, equine, avians, wildlife, fish, porcine, rodents, lagomorphs)
Animal Experience:
  • 2000+ Animal hours (companion animals, rodents, lagomorphs, avians)
Research:
  • 64 Research Hours (currently on an IACUC protocol for another project currently, but this was when my app was submitted)
Employment:
  • 300+ Employment Hours (non-animal related)
Honors/Awards
  • 3 different academic scholarships
  • Graduated with Highest Honors (4.0) from my CC
  • Dean's List for 3 different semesters at my university
  • Major Outstanding Senior nomination at my university
  • Academic Distinction for 1 year at my university
  • National Scholar
  • National Hispanic Honors Scholar
  • AP Scholar (I included this because of my AP classes being transferred to my university transcript)
  • Captain of Girl's Varsity Golf Team my senior year of HS (I included this because in one of my supplemental essays I talked about this experience)
Extracurriculars:
  • Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society
  • Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society
  • Alpha Zeta Professional Fraternity
  • Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society
eLORs:
  • 4 SA veterinarians who I worked with for over a year (graduated from Ross, PEI, Wisconsin, and Florida respectively)
  • 1 SA/emergency veterinarian who also was a professor at my university (graduated from Missouri)
Essays
Talked about my focus in One Health and how veterinarians are key members of the community when it comes to public health and education.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
22 year old female, CA resident, 2nd time applicant

Applied:
Cornell, WesternU, Ohio State, Purdue, North Carolina
Interview Invites: WesternU, Ohio State
Rejected: Cornell, Purdue
Waitlisted: North Carolina, WesternU
Accepted: Ohio State!
Attending: Ohio State!!!! :)

Degree: B.S. Molecular Biology

Overall GPA: 3.67
Science GPA: 3.50
Last 45 GPA: 3.89

GRE (V/Q/W): 158/155/4.0

Veterinary Experience:
Veterinary assistant at 3 small animal hospitals: 1000+ hours

Animal Experience:
Volunteer for Horse therapy organization: 40 hours
Volunteer for Rabbit rescue: 40 hours

Research:
Microbiology research of bacterial communities in local bioreactors: 150+ hours

Non Animal Employment:
Assistant administrator and special projects coordinator at corporate office of a car finance company: 600+ hours
Grader for general chemistry laboratory: 160+ hours

Non Animal Volunteering:

Raise money for women and children's shelter: 50 hours (1 semester)
Youth leader at local church: 100+ hours

Extracurriculars:
President of Pre-Veterinary club
National Society of Leadership and Success Honor Society

Honors/Awards
Dean's List: 5 semesters
Lifetime Presidential membership in Honor Society
Graduated Cum Laude

eLORs:
2 small animal veterinarians that I work for (one was previously apart of the admissions committee for UC Davis for many years)
Microbiology professor who I did my research with for over a year
Owner of car finance company where I worked for many years

Essays:
I talked about my desire to work with nonprofit organizations in the future to help those who cannot afford proper care for their animals. I also talked about the importance of forming strong doctor-client relationships for the best care of the animal.

As a side note, I don't have extensive amounts of experience in the field and though my grades are decent, I feel that my diverse experiences are what help me the most. Also, being honest about your values and what you want to accomplish will help you so much! Don't be discouraged by what others have accomplished, just do your best at being yourself and the right school will accept you!

I am so grateful to have been accepted and congratulations to all of my fellow future veterinarians!!!:welcome::biglove::claps:

21 year old female, Pennsylvania resident, 1st time applicant
Applied:
Kansas State, University of Georgia, Michigan State, Purdue, University of Pennsylvania, Virginia-Maryland, NC State, Iowa State
Interview Invites: Kansas State, Purdue, Michigan State, University of Pennsylvania, Virginia-Maryland (all who do interviews)
Accepted: Kansas State, Purdue, Michigan State, University of Pennsylvania, Iowa State; alternate at Virginia-Maryland and University of Georgia; rejected NC State
Attending: University of Pennsylvania with full-tuition scholarship :)

Overall GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.61
Last 45 GPA: 3.83

GRE (Q/V/W): 154 (55%)/ 146 (31%) lol/ 4.0 (60%)

Degree: Bachelor of Science in Animal Science with a specialization in Pre-Professional Science, minor in Food Science from Delaware Valley University

Veterinary Experience:
500+ paid hours, Veterinary Assistant at small animal emergency/specialty/routine clinic
120+ hours federal regulatory experience (United States Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service and Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service)
40+ hours, shadowing various veterinarians small animal clinics
10+ hours, shadowing Animal Health and Welfare manager for major hog producer

Animal Experience:
4,000+ hours in various 4-H and FFA livestock projects (market steers, market lambs, dairy market feeders)
500+ hours poultry production, Layer Hen Production Intern
600+ hours swine production, Swine Technician
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for the Department of Animal Science at my University
Lifetime of equine experience with 100+ recorded hours as an employee of a stable
Certified in Bovine Artificial Insemination
Certified Poultry Technician for the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture

Research:
500+ hours with United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, studying food-borne pathogens and ways to eliminate them in processing techniques; studied specifically Campylobacter and the use of UV light/high pressure

Extracurriculars/Awards:
So many...Block and Bridle club (President 2017-2018, Treasurer 2016-2017), Delta Tau Alpha National Agricultural Honor Society (President 2017-2018), Agricultural Ambassador for my University, Creator at the Odyssey Online, Collegiate FFA (Sentinel 2017, Reporter 2018), Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, NESA, Women’s Soccer, Editor of an agricultural publication on campus, blogger for the University, Pre-Vet Club, 4-H (various leadership roles in high school), County Dairy Princess, high school FFA (various leadership roles)...
Listed 25+ honors (scholarships, recognitions, awards) including Dean’s List, honor society inductions, private scholarships, and University scholarships; dating back to high school

Non-Animal Employment:
Supplemental Instructor at Delaware Valley University (tutoring)
Office assistant
Waitressing in high school

LORs:
USDA ARS Research Supervisor (PhD)
Academic Advisor (PhD)
USDA FSIS Supervisor (Veterinarian)
Collegiate Soccer Coach

Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
I have a deep passion for food production, food safety, and public health. I used my experience in three different government agencies to explain my future career plans with the federal government, which set me apart greatly

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
@hydra392 - this really hit home for me! I applied three times to NCSU (my IS for two of those times), only to get rejected every time. Like you, my GPA and GRE are not stellar, but I have thousands of hours in veterinary/animal experience. Even though NCSU was my "dream school", I decided to apply to other vet schools as an OOS, hoping they would see value in me as a candidate, though I did not expect to get an acceptance. My first time applying to Michigan State, and I was accepted there. It just goes to show that sometimes you need to broaden your options because every vet school views applicants differently. I'll post my stats later. :)

Hey Aqua Girl!

Sooo true. I'm glad you figured that out on your own and I'm also glad I could help you feel not alone :) Now we are all in it together! Super thankful MSU was able to see past my shortcomings to give me a chance, I will not disappoint and I know you won't either.
I'll most likely be going to MSU as well so I will (probably) be seeing you in class! Best of luck figuring out all your moving details and such until then. Class of 2022 is going to do some great things together!

Female, 20 years old, 1st time applicant

Applied (OOS): Cornell, Tufts, UPenn, NCSU, Mizzou, CSU, UC Davis
Interview invites: Tufts, UPenn (declined interview), CSU, UC Davis
Waitlist: NCSU, Cornell
Rejected: Mizzou
Accepted: UC Davis, Tufts, CSU
Attending: UC Davis!!

Cum GPA: 3.81
Science GPA: 3.81
Last 45: 3.83
(Excluding my Fall 2017 classes – 3.80)

GRE (Q/V/W): 165 (89%), 160 (85%), 4.5 (82%)

Degree: BA in Biology Jan ’18 (w/ honors), Marine Science minor, Magna Cum Laude

Veterinary hours:
100 hours shadowing GP ambulatory equine vet
320 hours GP small animal vet (2 different practices)
510 hours equine hospital: shadowed & assisted with therio procedures & ambulatory medicine, shadowed surgeries
240 hours technician for ambulatory/repro equine vet

Animal hours:
2,000 hours: horseback riding and competing, care for personal horse
750 hours: feeding, stalls, care taker for horses
250 hours: marine science laboratory assistant (husbandry)
60 hours: dog sitting
10 hours: volunteering at cat shelter
10 hours: volunteering at zoo

Non-animal/veterinary employment:
250 hours: banquet staff, wait tables

Research:
570 hours: investigating role of vision and chemosensory in relation to agonistic behavior in the American Lobster
100 hours: seismic activity in oceans in relation to increase in whale strandings
220 hours: health survey of sea fans in Belize, investigated progression of disease
160 hours: genomics research on Nematostella vectensis
160 hours: effect of anthropogenic noise on silverside fish
40 hours: collecting data on whales & sea birds for long-term project in Stellwagon National Marine Sanctuary

Extracurricular:
President of Pre-Veterinary Society
Relay for Life: Sponsorship Committee Chair, volunteer at Hope Lodge Center
Making Strides Walk for Breast Cancer
Audubon Society Camp counselor

Awards/Scholarships:
President’s Scholarship at University
Research project presented at International Lobster Conference
Dean’s List
Listed several high school achievements together

References:
Equine vet: ambulatory/GP, has been mentor for 10 years
Equine vet: boarded theriogenologist
Small animal GP
Research mentor/professor
Advisor/research mentor/professor

Essays:
Focused on goal of becoming boarded theriogenologist, pathway to vet med, and research experience

Congrats to everyone!!
Welcome to the family! You're gonna love it here :soexcited: and congrats!:highfive:

Reactions: 1 user
22 year old female, CA resident, 2nd time applicant

Applied:
Cornell, WesternU, Ohio State, Purdue, North Carolina
Interview Invites: WesternU, Ohio State
Rejected: Cornell, Purdue
Waitlisted: North Carolina, WesternU
Accepted: Ohio State!
Attending: Ohio State!!!! :)

Degree: B.S. Molecular Biology

Overall GPA: 3.67
Last 45 GPA: 3.89

GRE (V/Q/W): 158/155/4.0

Veterinary Experience:
Veterinary assistant at 3 small animal hospitals: 1000+ hours

Animal Experience:
Volunteer for Horse therapy organization: 40 hours
Volunteer for Rabbit rescue: 40 hours

Research:
Microbiology research of bacterial communities in local bioreactors: 150+ hours

Non Animal Employment:
Assistant administrator and special projects coordinator at corporate office of a car finance company: 600+ hours
Grader for general chemistry laboratory: 160+ hours

Non Animal Volunteering:

Raise money for women and children's shelter: 50 hours (1 semester)
Youth leader at local church: 100+ hours

Extracurriculars:
President of Pre-Veterinary club
National Society of Leadership and Success Honor Society

Honors/Awards
Dean's List: 5 semesters
Lifetime Presidential membership in Honor Society
Graduated Cum Laude

eLORs:
2 small animal veterinarians that I work for (one was previously apart of the admissions committee for UC Davis for many years)
Microbiology professor who I did my research with for over a year
Owner of car finance company where I worked for many years

Essays:
I talked about my desire to work with nonprofit organizations in the future to help those who cannot afford proper care for their animals. I also talked about the importance of forming strong doctor-client relationships for the best care of the animal.

As a side note, I don't have extensive amounts of experience in the field and though my grades are decent, I feel that my diverse experiences are what help me the most. Also, being honest about your values and what you want to accomplish will help you so much! Don't be discouraged by what others have accomplished, just do your best at being yourself and the right school will accept you!

I am so grateful to have been accepted and congratulations to all of my fellow future veterinarians!!!:welcome::biglove::claps:

Welcome to the fam!!! Go Bucks!

Members don't see this ad :)
20 year old female, PA resident, 1st time applicant

Applied:
UC Davis, Cornell, Tufts, Penn, Edinburgh, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Florida, North Carolina State, VA-MD,
Interview Invites: UC Davis, Tufts, Penn, Edinburgh,
Rejected: Ohio State, Florida, North Carolina State, VA-MD,
Waitlisted: Wisconsin
Accepted: UC Davis, Cornell, Tufts, Penn, Edinburgh
Attending: Not Sure (probably Davis or Cornell)

Degree: Finishing B.S. in Animal Science- Cornell, May 2018

Science GPA: 4.00
Last 45 GPA: 4.00

GRE (V/Q/W): 163/164/4.5

Veterinary Experience:
Small animal clinic approx. 400 hrs
Shadow animal shelter/rescue vet approx: 80hr
Other Vet shadowing: approx. 10hr
AVM program : 40 hrs

Animal Experience:
Raptor Rehab program: 150 hours
Working at Farm teaching barns: approx. 40 hrs
Volunteer Animal rescue: approx. 150 hrs

Research/TA:
Ovulation and reproduction research on Gambian African pouch rat: 180 hours
Teaching assistant for animal biology course: 1 semester

Extracurriculars:
Singing/ Musical theater
Pre-Veterinary club
Various honor societies
Alzheimer’s foundation fundraising and walks.
Reading classic literature

Honors/Awards
Dean's List: All semesters
American society of Animal Science

eLORs: submitted 4
2 small animal veterinarians that I work for at small animal clinic
professor who I did my research under
professor and college advisor

Applied:
UC Davis, Cornell, Tufts, Penn, Edinburgh, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Florida, North Carolina State, VA-MD,

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Research/TA:

Extracurriculars:
Singing/ Musical theater
Pre-Veterinary club
Various honor societies

Honors/Awards

Wow amazing stats. When did you get a rejection from OSU? Wasn't aware they sent out any. Or did you not get an interview?

Applied:

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Research/TA:

Extracurriculars:
Singing/ Musical theater
Pre-Veterinary club
Various honor societies

Honors/Awards

Congrats! I wish you the best wherever you decide to go! If you have any questions about the school here let me know.

Wow amazing stats. When did you get a rejection from OSU? Wasn't aware they sent out any. Or did you not get an interview?
Thanks! And I didn't get an interview to OSU which I just took as a rejection. Sorry for that confusion.

Congrats! I wish you the best wherever you decide to go! If you have any questions about the school here let me know.
Thanks! I'm still a little hesitant to deal with moving out the CA, but I might message you separately with some of my questions about the school and the area!

23 yr old male, Tennessee resident, 1st time applicant

Applied: Mississippi State, University of Tennessee, LMU, and Purdue

Interview Invites: University of Tennessee, LMU, and Purdue
Waiting to hear: LMU
Accepted: Univerisity of Tennessee
Attending: TBD, but I'm 95 percent sure it will be UTK

Overall GPA: 3.27
Science GPA: Around the same
Last 45 GPA: Around the same

GRE (Q/V/W)--I hate this thing: 149/149 /3.5

Degree:
BS Animal Science (August 2017)

Veterinary Experience
Veterinary assistant at small animal practice: 800 + plus

Animal Experience
Veterinary Skills Clinic offered by undergrad: 80 Hrs
Puppy Zone Volunteer: 100 Hrs
Dairy Management Class: 40 Hrs
Large animal experience primarily gain through classes: 100 Hrs

Research
Assisted in the finding specific genomes in dairy cattle: 150 hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards
University of Tennessee Club Soccer Team
Iota Phi Theta- President of my chapter
Order of Omega
MANNRS
TLSAMP
Dean's List for first two semesters
Secretary and Vice President for the National Panhellenic Council at my university
Non-Animal Employment
Resident Assistant
Summer day camp aide
Substitute Teacher

LORs
Small animal vet
Small animal and research vet
NPHC advisor
My undergrad advisor

I pretty much wrote my desire to do research and work for the government.

Can't believe I'm finally posting here! I thought my grades were pretty average and GRE Quant was awful, but it just shows a well-rounded applicant with lots of experience definitely has a good shot.

Texas resident, 21 years old, 1st time applicant, Spanish and Biology major

Applied:
Texas A&M, Mizzou
Rejected w/o interview: Mizzou
Accepted: Texas A&M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cumulative GPA- 3.63
Science GPA- 3.44
Last 45 hours- 3.8ish

GRE- 166 V/150 Q/ 5.5

Veterinary Experience (Total of 1485 hours)
-Vet Tech (unlicensed) at small animal ER - 560 hours
-Vet Asst. at small animal ER- 402 hours
-Vet Asst/Kennel Tech at small animal day practice - 200 hours
-Shadow at small animal ER - 130 hours
-Shadow at equine practice - 75 hours
-Shadow at small animal/exotics day practice - 40 hours
-Shadow at small animal day practice - 48 hours
-Vet camp at A&M (high school) - 30 hours

Animal Experience- (Total of 3125 hours)
-Competitive hunter/equitation horseback riding on AA/A circuit - 1865 hours (been riding since I was 6 but only included hours from high school-present)
-Junior camp counselor at horseback riding camp - 640 hours
-Pet sitting - 360 hours
-Volunteer at therapeutic horseback riding centers- 304 hours
-Dog walking - 16 hours

Research experience - none

Extracurriculars/Academic Recognition:
-
President of Biology Honors Society
-VP and Community Engagement Chair of Bio Honors Society
-Recruitment chair of sorority
-Mentor and Assistant Coordinator- partnered with elementary school student for a semester & did science experiment
-member of Pre-Health honor society
-member of Spanish honors society
-Volunteer at ICE detention center
-Coordinated several low-income elementary/middle school student visits to my university's science center
-Student coordinator for breast cancer awareness event at local hospital
-Dean's list 3 semesters

LORs-
-Medical director at small animal ER (DVM)
-Equine vet I shadowed/family friend (DVM)
-Professor of vertebrate morphology course (DVM)

24 year old female, Florida resident, 1st time applicant

Applied:
Midwestern, Tennessee, Auburn, Florida
Interview Invites: Midwestern, Tennessee, Auburn, Florida
Accepted: Midwestern, Tennessee, Auburn, Florida
Attending: My IS, my Alma mater, and my dream school, FLORIDA! It’s great to be a Florida Gator!!

Overall GPA: 3.69
Science GPA: 3.49
Last 45 GPA: 3.39

GRE (Q / V / W): 163(84%) / 168(98%) / 5.0(93%)

Degree:
BA in History (2014), BS in Biology (2018, in progress)

Veterinary Experience
Shadowing at SA clinic: 32 hours
Interning at LA clinic: 1020 hours (saw the occasional zoo patient as well)

Animal Experience
Work as ranch hand: 1010 hours
4-H member (horse shows, etc): 1500 hours
I probably could have put more horse hours since I rode from ages 5-16, oops!

Research
Undergraduate assistant to physiological/behavioral research of endangered jay species: 6 hours at time of application

Extracurriculars/Awards
Dean’s List, 8 semesters
Phi Beta Kappa member
County Academic Top Scholar award
National Merit Scholar
A few High Point awards from horse shows
4-H Horse Program Spirit Award
Committee Co-Head, Executive Board Member, and National Director of my pre-professional fraternity
Volunteering with project to feed homeless: 60 hours

Non-Animal Employment
Various jobs at Publix: 10,000 hours
Bookkeeper at automotive shop: 4200 hours

LORs
Large animal vet
Publix manager
Ranch owner (my boss)
(To all my fellow non-traditionals out there, you don’t need a professor’s LOR to get into vet school!)

Essay Questions
Made sure to touch on all the things that made me diverse: first generation college student from a single parent background; prior degree in a social science; paid for both of my degrees myself; passionate about food animal medicine and community outreach.

Comment
Even my most stony-faced interviewers reacted effusively to hearing I had put myself through school, so for all the pre-vets out there who, like me, had to work to keep from starving and saw grades occasionally suffer as a result: you will be a more interesting, well-rounded candidate because of it. I know it can be disheartening, but when applying, remember that while a 4.0 might make an exemplary veterinary student, your work ethic and experience will help make you an exemplary veterinarian. (Not to imply that the two are mutually exclusive by any means!)

Reactions: 7 users
I can’t believe I get to contribute to this amazing thread after stalking and re-reading stats for a year now. So thankful for everything!

Female, MA resident, 21 years old, 1st time applicant

Applied (OOS): Iowa, UGA, NCSU, Mizzou, WSU, Minnesota, Kansas, Purdue, Wisconsin, VA-MD
Interview invites: Kansas, Purdue, WSU, Minnesota
Waitlist: UGA, Wisconsin (#28)
Rejected: Mizzou, VA-MD (after interview waitlist), NCSU
Accepted: WSU (Pullman), Minnesota, Kansas, Purdue, Iowa
Attending: TBD! In between WSU and Minnesota!

Cum GPA: 3.83
Science GPA: 3.81
Last 45: 3.93

GRE (Q/V/W): 157 (66%), 157 (76%), 5.5 (98%)

Degree: BS in Pre-Vet Sciences (Honors), Cum Laude

Veterinary hours:
100 hours: alpaca course with veterinarian
300 hours: GP mixed animal vet
400 hours: GP small animal vet (3 different practices)
65 hours: shadowed holistic vet
60 hours: shadowed ambulatory equine dentist vet
42 hours: equine repro course with veterinarian

Animal hours:
200 hours: volunteer at local animal shelter
115 hours: animal husbandry intern at a museum
100 hours: dog owner
50 hours: dog-sitter
80 hours: equine management course
60 hours: Marine Biology camp in HS
60 hours: dog sitting
40 hours: barn chores
12 hours: lamb watch overnight
10 hours: bleeding research cows

Non-animal/veterinary employment:
120 hours: Cashier at HomeGoods
80 hours: Student Ambassador for university dining
20 hours: student tutor in HS

Research:
2000 hours: Undergrad research assistant in an immunology lab
200 hours: independent research study project on fly larvae for use in nutritive supplements – later published a manual on it
10 hours: presented at 3 different conferences on my immunology research

Extracurricular:
Avid Spinning® indoor cycling participant
Director of Programming for a TEDx organization (took over my life 1st and 2nd year of undergrad)
Intramural soccer league
Pre-Vet club member
Animal Nutrition TA
Co-President of Animal Rights Club in HS
National Honors Society Member in HS

Awards/Scholarships:
Summer Scholars Grant Recipient
Undergraduate Sustainability Research Award Recipient
Honors Research Grant Recipient
Dean’s Scholarship
Department Scholarship

References:
Holistic vet
Small Animal GP vet that I’ve known since high school
Research PI
Mixed Animal GP vet that I tech for near school

Essays:
I tried to capitalize on how all of my experiences taught me different things about being a vet. Explained I didn’t always know I wanted to be a vet but by exploring other paths, I solidified my commitment to vet med whilst also gaining skills I wouldn’t have gotten anywhere else.

Congratulations to everyone! We’re going to be veterinarians!!!! :soexcited:

Go for the cheaper tuitionnnnnnnnn

I know my mind tells me WSU! but they're pretty comparable after a 1 year switch to IS tuition for both! WSU is just a lot farther than I thought!

I know my mind tells me WSU! but they're pretty comparable after a 1 year switch to IS tuition for both! WSU is just a lot farther than I thought!
Oh mn lets you switch too?
And are they comparable in the long run or just for those last 3 years? I thought MN was one of the higher OOS tuitions

Oh mn lets you switch too?
And are they comparable in the long run or just for those last 3 years? I thought MN was one of the higher OOS tuitions

They are! But a bunch of OOS current students told me they themselves or have many friends who got IS tuition after a very involved application process! Which was a game changer for me when I found out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are! But a bunch of OOS current students told me they themselves or have many friends who got IS tuition after a very involved application process! Which was a game changer for me when I found out!

Oh wow!
How close in tuition cost do they end up being for those four years total?

Oh wow!
How close in tuition cost do they end up being for those four years total?

It’s about a $7k/year difference!

23 yr old female, Minnesota resident, 1st time applicant
I looked at these threads many times while I was applying and they inspired me, so it's time to do my part! I was told many times I wouldn't get in my first application cycle-I hope this gives you guys hope it can be done! Let me know if you have questions!

Applied: Minnesota, Wisconsin
Interview Offers: Minnesota, Wisconsin doesn't offer an interview
Accepted: Minnesota!!!
Attending: Minnesota!!!

Overall GPA: 3.69
Prerequisite GPA: 3.72
Last 45 GPA: 3.88

GRE (Q/V/W): 156 (66%)/161(88%)/4.5 (82%)

Degree:
BA Global Studies, Minors in Biology and Animal Science

Veterinary Experience
Veterinary assistant at small animal vet clinic for past 5 years. I shadowed there when I was 16 and was hired at 17, have been working there ever since!-4500 hours.

Animal Experience
Wildlife Rehabilitation Center-Avian Nursery Volunteer-36 hours

Research
Breast Cancer, Skin Cancer, and Leukemia Research in a Genetics lab-I started doing Research for credit there and was hired as an assistant. I did mouse tailing, humane euthanasia, dissection, GELs and PCRS.

Extracurriculars/Awards
Student of The Trimester in Physical Education
Dean's List 6 of 8 semesters
Track and Field Letters- 400m
AP Scholar with Honors
Proficiency in Spanish
UROP Scholarship for genetics research on mouse autosomes-$1800

Non Animal Employment
Worked as a "student worker" at the Center for Animal Health and Food Safety for 2 years-~1000 hours. I helped manage websites and attended a conference in Fort Wayne focusing on food safety.

LORs
Small animal vet and Practice Owner
Small animal vet
Genetics Professor

The essay for Minnesota was on diversity and inclusion. I focused on how my Global Studies major puts me in a unique position to have an excellent understanding of diversity and inclusion, and their significance to the veterinary profession, that science majors do not. I discussed how I volunteer with autistic kids at my moms school using animals to aid in their learning. I discussed how animals can connect in a way with them that humans cannot, and how that can be integral to the success of these children in the future and eventually reach a level where they can learn in a standard classroom. I concluded by saying our world is a better place when we prioritize diversity and inclusion and we all have to do our part to counteract the systematic and institutional obstacles people face.

28 year old Male, Maryland resident, 1st time applicant

Nice to post here even if I wasn’t like many others who have been wanting to post here for years. Best of luck to everyone else in their decisions and choices. To echo a post above -- a special congratulations to those who have applied more than once -- you guys are amazing and have demonstrated true grit to have stayed the course.

Looking forward to making some really good, solid friends over the next few years, and meeting more of you guys in person :)

Applied: Colorado, Tufts, Penn, Minnesota, Virginia Tech, Washington State, Oregon
Interview Invites: ALL (except Oregon as no interview)
Accepted Interviews: Colorado, Tufts, Penn, Virginia Tech
Accepted for Admission: Colorado, Tufts (with $60k scholarship), Penn (with $100k scholarship), Virginia Tech, Oregon
Attending: Not yet committed, but most likely Penn unless I can get $ from another school. Colorado was the “dream” (mostly for my 2 y/o choc lab child -- she needs wide open green spaces! :lol:), but how can I say no to Penn’s $ offer?

Overall GPA: 3.62
Science GPA: 3.57
Last 45: 3.94

GRE (Q/V/W) -- (158/161/4)

Degree: B.S. in Biology (w/ Honors); Minors in Chemistry and Economics (c/o 2011)

Veterinary Experience
Shadowing small animal vet clinic: -- 160 hrs -- Oops! A little late to the realization vet med was for me -- but hey, goes to show you can get in with less than 200 hours ;)

Work Experience/Research
7 years
working at the NIH -- 4 years basic science and animal behavioral model work as a research scientist, followed by 3 years working at a Genetic Engineering Core -- genetically designing and producing mice for science research via microinjection/CRISPR technologies, and practicing cryopreservation/rederivation techniques. 4 publications during my tenure.

Animal Experience
Volunteer for a Labrador Rescue as an adoption coordinator (interview families & match with suitable dogs) -- 150 hrs
Coral Aquaculture/saltwater fish farm -- 320 hrs
Honey Bee Research Lab -- 300 hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards
Oh, this and that, you know...
NIH 2016 Director’s Award for Service
Several semesters Dean’s List; Bachelor’s with Honors awarded
Martial Arts Black Belt
Volunteer at Medical Hospital in the Child Life Unit
Bilingual upbringing + learned 2 additional languages during schooling
Summer Volunteer in various places -- Kenya, Bahrain, Habitat for Humanity in the US
Avid Hiker/Backpacker with my 4 legged child -- climbed the highest peak in West VA, Bahrain, and the UK... (dreamed of Colorado 14'ers during application cycle and hopefully Kilimanjaro during summer 2019)
Swimmer -- high school, college (club team), and now master’s group -- my Penn interviewer was an Australian/swimmer -- maybe that’s why I got into Penn? :thinking:

LOR Evaluators
Family Veterinarian (where I also shadowed; have known for 15 years)
Director of the Engineering Core
University Professor (Head of the Biology Department)

Essays
Explanation Statement

Moved to the US at the age of 15 with my little sister (7 at the time) after being orphaned (one parent passed away, and the other abandoned us). Got shuttled around the world living in different countries with different relatives, until my dad’s sister (university professor) was able to organize our adoption and carved out a space in her heart and home for us -- gave us a second chance at life, created our little family of 3, and gave us an education. Something not many kids get a chance (let alone a second chance) to have. Extremely fortunate to find myself being able to apply to veterinary school, and in the position where I realize that [research] animals have less of a voice than others and that is something I want to change after having spent several years out in the field. Combining a veterinary medical degree with my research background puts me in a unique position to further the health and welfare of animals while also contributing to both human and animal medicine.

Note to future applicants: Be humble; be nice. Give a damn about living creatures -- both animals AND humans. Show that you are a kind, caring, and compassionate human being that can think about something other than yourself/grades/school/shadowing and have spent some time thinking not only about why you want to be a veterinarian, but also, what you want to do with the degree/how you want to make an impact/contribution to society -- that seemed to an underlying theme that all my interviewers were assessing on some level in my interviews whether stated or not (or at least, I thought so.) Talk slowly, articulate yourself, and don't be afraid to crack a joke and make your interviewers laugh :)

Ok, I’m done now!

Last edited:
Reactions: 29 users

Nice to post here even if I wasn’t like many others who have been wanting to post here for years. Best of luck to everyone else in their decisions and choices. To echo a post above -- a special congratulations to those who have applied more than once -- you guys are amazing and have demonstrated true grit to have stayed the course.

Looking forward to making some really good, solid friends over the next few years, and meeting more of you guys in person :)

Applied: Colorado, Tufts, Penn, Minnesota, Virginia Tech, Washington State, Oregon
Accepted for Admission: Colorado, Tufts, Penn (with 25k/year for 4 years scholarship), Virginia Tech, Oregon
Attending: Not yet committed, but most likely Penn unless I can get $ from another school. Colorado was the “dream” (mostly for my 2 y/o choc lab child -- she needs wide open green spaces! :lol:), but how can I say no to Penn’s $ offer?

Degree: B.S. in Biology (w/ Honors); Minors in Chemistry and Economics (c/o 2011)

Veterinary Experience
Shadowing small animal vet clinic: -- 160 hrs -- Oops! A little late to the realization vet med was for me -- but hey, goes to show you can get in with less than 200 hours ;)

Work Experience/Research
7 years
working at the NIH -- 4 years basic science and animal behavioral model work as a research scientist, followed by 3 years working at a Genetic Engineering Core -- genetically designing and producing mice for science research via microinjection/CRISPR technologies, and practicing cryopreservation/rederivation techniques. 4 publications during my tenure.

Animal Experience
Volunteer for a Labrador Rescue as an adoption coordinator (interview families & match with suitable dogs) -- 150 hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards
Martial Arts Black Belt
Summer Volunteer in various places -- Kenya, Bahrain, Habitat for Humanity in the US
Avid Hiker/Backpacker with my 4 legged child -- climbed the highest peak in West VA, Bahrain, and the UK... (dreamed of Colorado 14'ers during application cycle and hopefully Kilimanjaro during summer 2019)
Swimmer -- high school, college (club team), and now master’s group -- my Penn interviewer was an Australian/swimmer -- maybe that’s why I got into Penn? :thinking:

LOR Evaluators

Essays
Explanation Statement

Moved to the US at the age of 15 with my little sister (7 at the time) after being orphaned (one parent passed away, and the other abandoned us). Got shuttled around the world living with in different countries with different relatives, until my dad’s sister (university professor) was able to organize our adoption and carved out a space in her heart and home for us -- gave us a second chance at life, created our little family of 3, and gave us an education. Something not many kids get a chance to have. Extremely fortunate to find myself being able to apply to veterinary school, and in the position where I realize that [research] animals have less of a voice than others and that is something I want to change after having spent several years out in the field. Combining a veterinary medical degree with my research background puts me in a unique position to further the health and welfare of animals while also contributing to both human and animal medicine.

Note to future applicants: Be humble; be nice. Give a damn about living creatures -- both animals AND humans. Show that you are a kind, caring, and compassionate human being that can think about something other than yourself/grades/school/shadowing and have spent some time thinking not only about why you want to be a veterinarian, but also, what you want to do with the degree/how you want to make an impact/contribution to society -- that seemed to an underlying theme that all my interviewers were assessing on some level in my interviews whether stated or not (or at least, I thought so.) Talk slowly, articulate yourself, and don't be afraid to crack a joke and make your interviewers laugh :)

Ok, I’m done now!
GO STAFFY GO!!!! Congratulations on all your acceptances and your amazing scholarship!!!!!!! :biglove: :biglove:

@staff_wielder CHOSE PENN (especially if it’s the cheapest option) Amazing post. I always appreciate when people add in words of wisdom that they’ve taken away from past experiences. I also messaged you with a quick question. Congratulations!!!

Last edited:

Accepted for Admission: Colorado, Tufts, Penn (with 25k/year for 4 years scholarship), Virginia Tech, Oregon

Veterinary Experience

Work Experience/Research
7 years

Animal Experience

Extracurriculars/Awards
Martial Arts Black Belt

LOR Evaluators

Essays
Explanation Statement

Moved to the US at the age of 15 with my little sister (7 at the time) after being orphaned (one parent passed away, and the other abandoned us). Got shuttled around the world living in different countries with different relatives, until my dad’s sister (university professor) was able to organize our adoption and carved out a space in her heart and home for us -- gave us a second chance at life, created our little family of 3, and gave us an education. Something not many kids get a chance (let alone a second chance) to have. Extremely fortunate to find myself being able to apply to veterinary school, and in the position where I realize that [research] animals have less of a voice than others and that is something I want to change after having spent several years out in the field. Combining a veterinary medical degree with my research background puts me in a unique position to further the health and welfare of animals while also contributing to both human and animal medicine.

Ok, I’m done now!
Congrats Staffy! That's amazing! Well done!

Veterinary Experience

Work Experience/Research
7 years

Animal Experience

Extracurriculars/Awards
Martial Arts Black Belt

LOR Evaluators

Essays
Explanation Statement

Ok, I’m done now!
Killin' it, Staffy! So happy for you!

Ok, I’m done now!

Congrats! There is tons of open green space in philly! PennVet is right by clark park which has a big open "dog park" (quotes used since its not fenced in but a huge bowl that is basically a defacto dog park). there are also tons of actual dog parks around as well as wissahickon valley park with lots of trails: https://www.fow.org/

GO STAFFY GO!!!! Congratulations on all your acceptances and your amazing scholarship!!!!!!! :biglove: :biglove:

Thanks buddy! Much appreciated! Waiting for your post ;)

@staff_wielder CHOSE PENN (especially if it’s the cheapest option) Amazing post. I always appreciate when people add in words of wisdom that they’ve taken away from past experiences. I also messaged you with a quick question. Congratulations!!!

Thanks! Responded and will give the cliffnotes here as someone else asked about it as well. It's not part of the aid package (which doesn't come until you have committed for Penn -- different than Tufts order of operations) and wasn't really part of the offer letter either, per se. I was in the first wave and got accepted on the 7th of Jan, and received the acceptance letter some 10 days later. Rob (admissions director) then called me on Monday 22nd and said my interviewer spoke about me in glowing terms and felt that I needed to be at Penn so 25k/year no strings attached -- just can't apply for the military scholarship. I then received the paperwork for that some additional 10 day later with an updated offer letter. Hope that helps! Also note: I know a dean of a law school very well, and she recommended that you can definitely TACTFULLY e-mail schools and say that x school is your top choice and you love it, but y school that you are also accepted to is $$ cheaper, is there something that can be done to make the financial burden a bit easier? Or, x school offered $, can you match as in my case. Nothing to lose, and why not try. Every one and their mother says to pick the cheaper school unless you're a trust fund baby or other exceptional circumstances. I wish I had a hidden Gringotts vault. Sigh.

Congrats Staffy! That's amazing! Well done!

Thanks Coop! Your message is extra special as UC Davis isn't on my list ;)

Killin' it, Staffy! So happy for you!

Thanks Jboo! Rooting for you hardcore my fellow pack mate :biglove:

Congrats! There is tons of open green space in philly! PennVet is right by clark park which has a big open "dog park" (quotes used since its not fenced in but a huge bowl that is basically a defacto dog park). there are also tons of actual dog parks around as well as wissahickon valley park with lots of trails: Home - Friends of Wissahickon

Thanks for the endorsement! I need to come up and check it out in March. @raf2769 pretty much said the same thing re: parks and ...however you say that park name :laugh: and not to be so worried about my child! My jeep is coming with so weekend hikes are definitely happening (not ashamed I picked schools that had colder weather, too, so she would be happy :lol:) Raf also mentioned one of the fraternity houses that hosts doggy play dates, too!

@staff_wielder - that is a crazy amount of obstacles to overcome to get here - yay, you! Double congrats on scholarships!!! :)

@staff_wielder - I am so pumped. Glad to know there will be other oldies bringin' down the house. :)

Sincerest congratulations to you, staffy! I had absolutely no doubts for you - can’t wait to see what happens next :biglove:

Congrats and well wishes to all of the class of 2022 so far!!

And for those still waiting, hang in there! There will be a lot of shuffling in the next few months!

Sincerest congratulations to you, staffy! I had absolutely no doubts for you - can’t wait to see what happens next :biglove:

Congrats and well wishes to all of the class of 2022 so far!!

And for those still waiting, hang in there! There will be a lot of shuffling in the next few months!
Thank you & much love for your help and support during the process :biglove:

I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M MAKING THIS POST!!!! 3rd time's the charm!
24 yr old female, Texas resident, 3rd time applicant (1st time interviewing)

Applied:
Texas A&M
Interview Invites: Texas A&M
Waiting to hear: --
Accepted: Texas A&M
Attending: Texas A&M!!! WHOOP!

Overall GPA: 3.31
Science GPA: 3.22
Last 45 GPA: 3.65

GRE (Q/V/W): 153 / 153 / 4

Degree:
BS Biomedical Sciences (May 2016), MS Biomedical Sciences (December 2017)

Veterinary Experience
Head veterinary technician: 5,500 hours small animal + 130 hours large animal
Infections disease training with TAMU VET: 6 hours

Animal Experience
Kennel technician: 450 hours
TAMU Large Animal Hospital shadow student: 60 hours
BCS Spay Neuter Project: 20 hours
Veterinary Medical Applications class: 20 hours
Post Hurricane Harvey Equine Care with Texas Veterinary Medical Reserve Corps: 7 hours

Research
None

Extracurriculars/Awards
Pre-Vet Society (undergrad)
Student One Health Association (graduate)
Certified Veterinary Assistant I (since 2012)
Texas Veterinary Medical Reserve Corps
Student Observer at CHI St. Joseph Hospital
Various FEMA training certifications

Non-Animal Employment
None

LORs
Owner of the mixed animal practice (~95% small/5% large) I worked at since I was 17
Small animal associate veterinarian
Chair of Graduate Committee/Director the TAMU Veterinary Emergency Team

I briefly talked about how I started on my path into vet med in high school by becoming a CVA which helped me land my first job in a vet clinic. I later mentioned in one of the optional essays that I needed to work through college for financial reasons. The rest of my PS involved me talking about my passion for medicine and how the “picture” I had of my future as a vet changed by going to grad school. I really emphasized the role veterinarians play in One Health and how it specifically applied to my interests.

21 year old female, Pennsylvania resident, 1st time applicant
Applied:
Kansas State, University of Georgia, Michigan State, Purdue, University of Pennsylvania, Virginia-Maryland, NC State, Iowa State
Interview Invites: Kansas State, Purdue, Michigan State, University of Pennsylvania, Virginia-Maryland (all who do interviews)
Accepted: Kansas State, Purdue, Michigan State, University of Pennsylvania, Iowa State; alternate at Virginia-Maryland and University of Georgia; rejected NC State
Attending: University of Pennsylvania with full-tuition scholarship :)

Overall GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.61
Last 45 GPA: 3.83

GRE (Q/V/W): 154 (55%)/ 146 (31%) lol/ 4.0 (60%)

Degree: Bachelor of Science in Animal Science with a specialization in Pre-Professional Science, minor in Food Science from Delaware Valley University

Veterinary Experience:
500+ paid hours, Veterinary Assistant at small animal emergency/specialty/routine clinic
120+ hours federal regulatory experience (United States Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service and Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service)
40+ hours, shadowing various veterinarians small animal clinics
10+ hours, shadowing Animal Health and Welfare manager for major hog producer

Animal Experience:
4,000+ hours in various 4-H and FFA livestock projects (market steers, market lambs, dairy market feeders)
500+ hours poultry production, Layer Hen Production Intern
600+ hours swine production, Swine Technician
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for the Department of Animal Science at my University
Lifetime of equine experience with 100+ recorded hours as an employee of a stable
Certified in Bovine Artificial Insemination
Certified Poultry Technician for the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture

Research:
500+ hours with United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, studying food-borne pathogens and ways to eliminate them in processing techniques; studied specifically Campylobacter and the use of UV light/high pressure

Extracurriculars/Awards:
So many...Block and Bridle club (President 2017-2018, Treasurer 2016-2017), Delta Tau Alpha National Agricultural Honor Society (President 2017-2018), Agricultural Ambassador for my University, Creator at the Odyssey Online, Collegiate FFA (Sentinel 2017, Reporter 2018), Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, NESA, Women’s Soccer, Editor of an agricultural publication on campus, blogger for the University, Pre-Vet Club, 4-H (various leadership roles in high school), County Dairy Princess, high school FFA (various leadership roles)...
Listed 25+ honors (scholarships, recognitions, awards) including Dean’s List, honor society inductions, private scholarships, and University scholarships; dating back to high school

Non-Animal Employment:
Supplemental Instructor at Delaware Valley University (tutoring)
Office assistant
Waitressing in high school

LORs:
USDA ARS Research Supervisor (PhD)
Academic Advisor (PhD)
USDA FSIS Supervisor (Veterinarian)
Collegiate Soccer Coach

Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
I have a deep passion for food production, food safety, and public health. I used my experience in three different government agencies to explain my future career plans with the federal government, which set me apart greatly
I thought full tuition scholarships were non-existent :cyclops: Congrats and AMAZING STATS!

Vet2022 - Trust me...it was a shock to me as well. ;) All I can say is work your butt off and anything is possible!!! Thank you!!!:)

24 yr old female, FL resident, 2nd time applicant

Applied:
Midwestern, Western, Lincoln Memorial, UF, Mississippi state, Purdue, Auburn
Interview Invites: Midwestern, Western (alternate acceptance), Lincoln, UF, Mississippi St, Auburn
Waiting to hear: none
Accepted: Midwestern
Attending: TBD, waiting to hear from the schools I’ve arwady interviewed at/ have interviews coming up at. I did love Midwestern though.

Overall GPA: 3.72
Last 45 GPA: 3.61?

GRE (Q/V/W): 151 (52%) /154 (55%) /4.0 (60%)

Degree:
BS Biology w/ pre-professional concentration (December 2016)

Veterinary Experience
Veterinary tech at small animal and exotic practice: 800 hours (at time of application)
Intern/ tech at SA spay neuter clinic: 378 hours
Vet assistant at SA Clinic: 416 hours
Veterinary intern/ assistant at SA Clinic: 780 hours

Animal Experience
Wildlife caretaker volunteer: 40 hours
Foster for a rescue: 208 hours
Volunteer at humane society clinic: 448 hours
Volunteer at a rescue: 780 hours (while in hs)

Research
Isolating wasp microsattelite dna: 105 hours
Butterfly population surveying due to construction: 60 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards
Volunteer/ Facebook admin for a rescue: 120 hours
Animal science club secretary: 32 hours
Vegan club secretary: 82 hours
Honors program
Foundation scholarship
President and deans list

Non-Animal Volunteer work
Planting plants at a greenway, throwing an event to raise awareness for abused woman and sexual assault on college campuses

LORs
Small animal vet where I currently work
Small animal vet at my old clinic
Research professor
Manager at my internship at the spay/ neuter clinic

I wrote about my goals as a veterinarian, specifically shelter medicine and exotics. Vet contributions and how I’d like to help underserved communities. Then a few qualities that make great vets!

Last year I had two interviews (auburn and Purdue). I ended up waitlisted at Purdue and rejected from auburn. I improved my application this year, so I guess don’t give up on your first try! As you can see my grades are only average but I think I have quite a bit of experience.

Update:
Accepted : UF, Midwestern, LMU
Alternate: Auburn and Western
Attending: UF, my instate and dream vet school

Reactions: 11 users
After months of anxiously obsessing with hearing back, I'm so thankful to have my first acceptance.

28 Y.O. Female - Texas Resident - First Time Applicant

Applied: TAMU, LMU, Michigan State, UF, Oregon State
Interview Invites: TAMU, LMU, Michigan State
Denied: UF, Oregon State
Waiting Response: TAMU, LMU
Accepted: Michigan State
Attending: Waiting to hear back from IS

Update-

Accepted: Texas A&M! Whoop! :) Thanks to everyone who has been supportive, given me advice, and answered even the silliest of questions!

Reactions: 8 users